We have no belief in ourselves any more

These toothless displays stem from belief.

When we had it, went toe to toe with some very good European teams.
Now we don't have it, and even better teams are swatting us aside.

How do we get it back?
Simples……

Invest in the team (not going to happen with the current board), bring in better than you have Every window, be active every window, always adding and moving on players for either big money or moving on those that have failed, stop buying injured players, stop buying projects,

Move on Ross Wilson, he’s a failure.

Stop talking about the player trading model as the model we are working to, the model is sell big and then reinvest. It’s bullshit sound bites and lies churned out by the board and Wilson.

The sentiment in the opening post is exactly what went through my mind. How have we gone to looking dangerous and lively to stagnant and petrified so quickly - although I think I know the answer.

The manager has sucked the belief out of the players and the support.

We get it back when he goes.
This season has been the biggest anti climax of a season I can think of, at a point last year things were good - roll on Gio and he has managed to turn all the good around from the football to the fans excitement.

I wouldn't even bother bud, absolutely pointless with some on here.

It’s not just happening against Liverpool though is it.

The managers approach, game plan, game management, decision making and philosophy is brutal.

Doesn’t help when he also comes out saying we can’t compete at this level. At least show a bit of fight, passion, desire and spirit.

Liverpool are one of the best three sides in the World. This isn't Ross County FFS

Well aware of that. Can you point me to any point in the game were we played football?

Losing 2 - 0 to Liverpool is nothing to be ashamed off in the grand scheme of things - it was the performance. We could've lost 4 or 5, but competed and I would be happy. Apart from a few minutes at the end, we offered nothing, Nada. Zero. We barely managed a pass to one of our own.

How do we get it back?
Sadly 100% correct.

Regardless of our performance tonight, Liverpool were right up for it and therefore won because they are on a different planet to us. It's like if we are right up for domestic home games we will win these games because we are much better than the opposition. I don't know how to judge tonight when there is such a gulf between the two teams. Just look at Ajax getting horsed 6-1 at home, these scores are possible at this level.

It's not quite as simple as that. What, 60 odd years of European football and how often have Rangers sides consistently had real belief? 2018-2022 is a rare era in that we operated like we belonged. But that has been destroyed in the space of half an hour in Amsterdam and really driven home against Napoli and tonight. We just look a million miles away from competing on any level with sides at this level.

Throw Gerrard back in charge right now for example and he is starting from scratch at building belief again. It is something that can take a long time, or the right set of circumstances (Ufa in Gerrard's 1st season), but can be utterly destroyed overnight.

Seville is a real sliding doors moment. Win that trophy and it maybe propels entire club to have belief.

When I hear Gio talk , I find him very underwhelming. I just don't get how he inspires the players at all.

I agree, they would beat us anyway. But we have become so passive and scared in these big games. It's not just tonight.

Parkhead and Amsterdam were the same, we looked beaten as soon as the game kicked off.
Would you prefer we had a go and got pumped 5 or 6 as that seems to be the feeling on here?

GvB sets us out more defensively than Gerrard ever did yet teams pass through us much easier,we were compact and well drilled under Gerrard,we're a bit of a mess under GvB.
I don't think our players know how to play his 5 at the back.

Players clearly hate the horseshoe

Genuinely believe it is stifling us. Some of these players are playing at 50%.

Sorry to say it, but this.

We set up to keep it tight when we aren’t very good at doing that. Play to our strengths and have a go. We switched to 4 at the back with 10 minutes to go, Matondo got some joy on the right and Sakala on the left and Colak had a couple of chances/half chances.

It’s utterly depressing watching what we were during the 55 season to now.

Take CL out of it, we’ve been dire all season and hearts done us a favour going to 10men on Saturday.

Sooner the coward in the dugout is gone the better.
The irony calling someone a coward on an anonymous forum

Ive seen lower league teams go there in the fa cup and give it a better go,it was damage limitation from the start.
Big Liverpool fan then mate ?

We are in transition phase after selling key players and bringing in guys who need time and Development .

That’s just the way things are now we may as well pull with them imo

We set up to keep it tight when we aren’t very good at doing that. Play to our strengths and have a go. We switched to 4 at the back with 10 minutes to go, Matondo got some joy on the right and Sakala on the left and Colak had a couple of chances/half chances.

We did. Most Liverpool players were already thinking of their takeaway when they get home by that point though.

Would you prefer we had a go and got pumped 5 or 6 as that seems to be the feeling on here?

GvB sets us out more defensively than Gerrard ever did yet teams pass through us much easier,we were compact and well drilled under Gerrard,we're a bit of a mess under GvB.
I don't think our players know how to play his 5 at the back.
How does going into the game with greater positivity and looking to attack when possible mean we lose by 5 or 6?

And I'll say again, it's not just tonight. We are just so passive in too many big games now, and basically look frightened of losing from the first whistle.

Well aware of that. Can you point me to any point in the game were we played football?

Losing 2 - 0 to Liverpool is nothing to be ashamed off in the grand scheme of things - it was the performance. We could've lost 4 or 5, but competed and I would be happy. Apart from a few minutes at the end, we offered nothing, Nada. Zero. We barely managed a pass to one of our own.
Thanks for the reply.

Liverpool played four up front probably the only time they'll play this way is against Rangers. They suffocated us as we don't have the quality to get out. You saw this with Davis, Lundstram and Kent.

There's a reason they're with us.

I know your hurting, I am too, but Liverpool are probably two or three levels above us atm. 12 years ago we were in div 3.

The journey might be completed domestically... but on a Euro Champs League Level, we're in at the basement fella atm.

Liverpool have in Mo Salah one of the maybe top 10 players in the world? One of the best right backs in the world. One of the best centre backs in the world. Spent 80 mil on a striker this summer.

We lost. Of course we lost.

I'm not Gio's biggest fan but there's nothing to read into tonight.
Let’s read into Parkhead then.

We were off the back of 2 drubbings so far so he tightened it up and kept the score down. Plenty of EPL teams will lose by more than that at Anfield this season, one has already lost 9-0.

We're totally lacking in belief at this level due to those results. It's been a sobering experience, we didn't recruit well enough and have been killed by injuries - some unlucky and some to be expected, both are issues.

The players are running fast to stand still at this level, when they then get the ball they're knackered. You then have the best press in the world snapping at you.

GVB remains with a lot to prove but some of the critiques on here are wild - we're going in against teams with guys signed for 8 figures in every position.

If football goes in cycles, this is the classic 'used to be good' team.
Tav , Kent new normal is 'rotten' , Davis too slow. Barasic , not what he was. Jack , a great player now out of gas. Morelos, a poor goal rate, and a myth around his hold up play. Lundstrum might have peaked too.
Just like 73 team had a barren season, the 76 treble flunked the following season and didnt recover untl Coop, Smith and Russell arrived .78 team disappeared within 2 years. The 93 team took 2 years to recover itself - but additions like Gazza and Laudrup lifted everyrhing
It takes major surgery to turn it around.

Honestly, i think we're kidding ourselves on of we think thse players will ever regain their high moments again.

i'm not sure Gio has the balls for major surgery for this team.

I actually thought Gio was able to have a go because we kept it relatively tight.

Fact is, every player could have been at 100% and we still wouldn’t have been good enough

I think we maybe overestimated our chances in the CL. Obviously we done amazingly last season in europe but i think we overachieved giving us a false sense of where we actually are on a European level.
Are you blind mate, where we are on the European stage is nowt to do with it if the players ain't in this together which they clearly aint, yes Liverpool on their day would beat us most times but i expect a lot more dig and belief than what we're seeing at present. The players are a lot better than what they are producing at the moment and i believe its down to Gio and his negative set-up, can't blame them if they've downed tools with him coz its absolutely pish to watch. sooner he goes the better

How do we get it back?
Started with another completely unacceptable performance against the Yahoos.

My own personal opinion is that we need a fresh perspective on how we play. I don't think continuing as we are will end favourably for us, or for GvB

I think we sometimes forget professionals play as they are told to. If they don't they don't get picked.

I think it's more a confidence thing than a belief issue for some individuals.

We were clearly better tonight once we became more positive in the tactical approach. I only wish Gio made those changes at 1-0 because once it was 2-0 it was never going to end well.

The reality is it was 2-0 but on another night displaying those tactics and without Greegsy, it could easily have been 6-0.

At some point, you have to have a go at them and see how they cope with that. I hope that's the case next week.

Totally agree with the OP, no one expected us to get a result tonight but all we ask is that we try and compete and look like we have a plan, got to laugh when we looked our most dangerous when we brought on 2 players the managers shown minimal confidence in playing this season.

Yeah I agree. I was fuming about that and wanted Gio gone then.

You can't compare 2-0 Vs one of the best teams in the world Vs an absolute humiliation against Celtic.
I can compare that we came out negatively. Came out without fight. Looked unfit - and played the same guy out of position as at Parkhead. Choose the wrong team and tactics…. Looked terrible for a long period and changed it too late.

So yes a lot to compare with as per Parkhead. Even more worrying Parkhead showed that it’s more than a gulf in class that is at the heart of these issues.

Back