We have no belief in ourselves any more

They’ve been leaking goals and we just sat back and let one of the best attacking teams come at us. The tactics were all wrong, but I can see why going to Anfield, the last 10 min showed Gio got it all wrong. Our confidence is fucked to boot too!

I‘m not interested in the bloodlust re Gio right now. We got a nightmare draw and find our three best creative mids injured. Do you honestly expect us to go gung-ho at Anfield? Would‘ve been another Bournemouth. However, next week is different. They’ll rest players for Man City and i dont see the same intensity in their game. We simply have to go for it, come what may. We paid a lot of money for these CL tickets and deserve a proper game (and a goddam goal!).
I agree with this however I have grave worries about Gios ability to motivate the players and the lack of intensity in our play domestically. Ultimately we are where we are with the squad and our domestic fixtures look not too bad until the WC.

Hopefully we can add some quality in the next window.

While I’m very against how the manager has set us up in these games, the group doesn’t help us.

I’d expect us to finish 2nd in Celtic’s group. I think Gio and the players would know we can take it to Leipzig and Donetsk, but I honestly think we’ve got the hardest group in the competition.

See because you play a top team it doesn’t stop you being able to pass the ball or tackle or any of the basics in a game we done none of these last nigh and it’s not the first time this season either,it’s all on a clueless manager
See when you play a top team they can force you into playing like that.

Pressed with two men onto one at times.

" Atz pure shite rangers"

See when you play a top team they can force you into playing like that.

Pressed with two men onto one at times.

" Atz pure shite rangers"
If two men are closing one man down, logic dictates there’s a spare man for the out ball somewhere down the chain.

We just don’t even think about playing fast enough to get there.

If two men are closing one man down, logic dictates there’s a spare man for the out ball somewhere down the chain.

We just don’t even think about playing fast enough to get there.
We tried one touch passing at times to beat their press and it was rushed and horrible at times.

We aren't good enough to play like that against a team like that. It's purely that simple.

We lack direction and commitment from the top and this much lauded trading strategy fails even the most basic test.

The biggest issue was you don't let young players with market value run down their contracts, but here we are with Kent now out of form and polling listless, along with Morelos sliding down the pecking order.

I'd add Kamara in as well, if the manager doesn't want him you don't hold onto him just because you can't get the over priced Belgian in.

Three first team players that could've been moved on but are now an anchor on the squad progression.

After last night, I don't think anyone can be in any doubt the football strategy isn't working.

Gerrard 2018-2022 - never lost by more than 2 goals.

GVB - lost by 4 goals twice, 3 goals twice.

Last season’s EL run was amazing but we’re clearly not as difficult to beat as we were under Gerrard.
Gerrard had 1 trophy out of 9 and Gio has 1 in 2.

Gio got us beyond the last 16 where Gerrard failed twice in a row after getting schooled at home by Leverkusen and Slavia.

Gio got us into the Champions league whereas Gerrard couldn't get past a 10 man Malmo team.

There would have been no Europa final and a trophyless season had Gerrard stayed on.

Said the same thing on way home after game last night we look totally deflated and low on confidence which is a worry

These toothless displays stem from belief.

When we had it, went toe to toe with some very good European teams.
Now we don't have it, and even better teams are swatting us aside.

How do we get it back?
That belief came. Home leg against Leverkusen, we seriously lacked belief that night, home to Lyon belt another example.

In terms of getting it back, it’s a tough one but we can see what one victory can do regarding momentum. That win away to Dortmund have us the belief to make the final .

We also never qualified for the CL under Gerrard

Or won a domestic cup
Gerrard made us believe we would go to places like Benfica, Porto, feyenoord, to name a few and score goals and attack. Dortmund was also Gerrards team in reality.

Gio has got us going away from home in Europe the most terrified team on planet earth. Once he got his clutches into our flair players we have morphed into a weak, insipid, dull outfit who will maybe score 1 goal from every three away European matches.

Hard to believe we were in a European final this year. Listening to Gio you would think it never happened and we aren’t capable.

Gerrard had 1 trophy out of 9 and Gio has 1 in 2.

Gio got us beyond the last 16 where Gerrard failed twice in a row after getting schooled at home by Leverkusen and Slavia.

Gio got us into the Champions league whereas Gerrard couldn't get past a 10 man Malmo team.

There would have been no Europa final and a trophyless season had Gerrard stayed on.

Its funny that losing by more than 2 goals has became more important than trophies or European progression, mental.

Two of those defeats were in a competition Gerrard never got us into.

Gerrard made us believe we would go to places like Benfica, Porto, feyenoord, to name a few and score goals and attack. Dortmund was also Gerrards team in reality.

Gio has got us going away from home in Europe the most terrified team on planet earth. Once he got his clutches into our flair players we have morphed into a weak, insipid, dull outfit who will maybe score 1 goal from every three away European matches.
Ajax, Liverpool and Napoli are light years ahead of those teams im afraid

So why was Dortmund Gerrard’s team, but when we get beat it’s GVB’s…..lol

Malmö, Slavia, Leverkusen, Lyon, Moscow, Vienna…..where these really Graeme Murty’s teams?

The difference in class is staring us in the face.
We just cannot compete with these teams.
Its not difficult to understand.

Malmö, Slavia, Leverkusen, Lyon, Moscow, Vienna…..where these really Graeme Murty’s teams?
Because it suits the argument.
GVB got us to a EL Final and won the SC - facts.
Ajax, Liverpool and Napoli and teams of this standard are miles ahead of what we faced in the EL .

It’s fine to be outclassed as there is a massive gulf between the two teams but what I can’t accept is this passive half press that just doesn’t work. The only hope we had last night would be to put big diagonals over TAA head and try and win a second ball but we have a midfield who have no legs to be able to get up to support

Are you denying that Gerrard gave us our team back especially in terms of Europe?

He took us up 200 places in the UEFA rankings in 3.5 years ffs.

Short memories on some.

Because it suits the argument.
GVB got us to a EL Final and won the SC - facts.
Ajax, Liverpool and Napoli and teams of this standard are miles ahead of what we faced in the EL .
I accept that perhaps SG teams were ultimately easier on the eye perhaps…..

But ultimately they are pretty similar in terms of what trophies they delivered

Are you denying that Gerrard gave us our team back especially in terms of Europe?

Short memories on some.
No, Gerrard was the best thing that could have happened to Rangers. He brought the standards back that I even forgot we could achieve.

But to dismiss Van Bronkhorst as a poor coach is rubbish IMO . In Europe, I think he averages a trophy for each season he’s been a manager…..a penalty kick away from winning Rangers a major European trophy

Short memories on some.

Absolutely not - Gerard was fantastic for Rangers and everything he did brought class and respect back to the club.
For that we should be forever grateful to Gerard and his team.
But he chose to leave.
All I said was GVB got us to a EL Final and won the SC - we should also be thankful for that.
Short memory - not at all !!!!

Its funny that losing by more than 2 goals has became more important than trophies or European progression, mental.

Two of those defeats were in a competition Gerrard never got us into.
It's astonishing. Its used as some kind of proof as well that we wouldn't have lost to celtic either.

Utter fantasy.

I picked up something that didn’t feel right yesterday. The club putting out photos of Tav in front of the kop and him cheesy grining like you’d get when a non league or wee team comes to Ibrox to savour the experience.

We shouldn’t be acting like we’re lucky the at anfield imho.

We get it back, when the tactics change. Very rarely do you see the fullbacks overlapping anymore. Keep the zero crap. For me it's all on Gio. We don't look as fit either
We certainly don't look as fit as we did even last season. You can tell the full backs aren't getting as far forward as Tavs goal count is down. Tbh we're not scoring enough goals.

The foundations built when Gerrard was in charge are steadily being eroded. Yes we didn’t do as we’d hoped domestically when he was in charge but he did win the league when it was essential it was won but on the European stage he clearly got us punching well above our weight because he had top European experience and knew what was required to win games at that level.

He certainly got his message over to the players loud and clear and he deserves huge credit for showing what can be done despite the gulf in finances that exists between us and clubs from the wealthier leagues on the continent and down south. I really don’t think Gio has a future at the club and the mentality of our player’s has changed for the worse and the confidence has evaporated.

We play with fear now and at this level where it’s a higher standard than europa league you haven’t got an earthly of doing anything, we could barely get out of our own half and looked like frightened wee boys trying to play against grown men. It’s no shame losing to Liverpool at Anfield some might say but it is in the manner we did las night. That was horrific to watch and if that’s what playing in the champions league is going to be like for us you can ram it!

All I asked from us in this competition was to give a good account of ourselves and to avoid embarrassment and humiliation but that’s exactly what we’re getting and I see nothing but more misery in the remaining games. Gio’s not taking us forward, he’ll not finish the season I predict but the board has to take a look at themselves too.

I’m not sure the players have belief in what the manager is trying to do and how he wants to play.
That 100% last year he openly admitted he wasn’t going to change much from Gerard’s approach and tactics this season it’s all his. I know it was Liverpool but ffs at least have a go at them if Brighton took 3 off them anything was possible.

Go and look at the squad that Gerrard took over and get back to me.
Just getting back to you

He had three seasons by the time we played Malmö

Again to state my position, I’m not saying SG was a bad manager. Just that GVB has done a good job given the circumstances.

Just getting back to you

He had three seasons by the time we played Malmö

Again to state my position, I’m not saying SG was a bad manager. Just that GVB has done a good job given the circumstances.
All true but in those previous seasons under Gerrard Rangers were always competitive and its not like we didnt play CL level teams within the EL, we did many times.

Even in matches where Rangers didnt win, they were never completely outplayed and certainly never embarrassed.

The confidence after repeat, heavy losses with no goals must be very damaging and it would need a Coach to pull them up. It would happen under Gerrard but I dont see it under Gio. His lines about the competition being so difficult and the gulf being so big will hardly inspire any of the players. In fact given the attitude of some its the easy out theyre looking for and the last thing Rangers need.

Speaking of belief, I find it almost impossible to believe Im watching the same Rangers team (more or less) that has done so superbly in Europe these last 4 years. The level of the CL and the gap between teams like Rangers and Liverpool is clear as day but those are not the concerns, frustrations and now growing annoyances that fans feel.

Bottom line - I dont like seeing Rangers embarrassed and mugged off. Im seeing it in Europe game after game, not to mention vs Celt!c as well because it was a carbon copy performance.

Its omnishambles stuff at times and we know these Rangers players are capable of so much more than what theyre seeing so whos to blame for the lack of belief?

No it doesn’t, it stems purely from tactics and set up. That’s it. %^*& all to do with belief. It’s utter confusion on what to do if not backwards.
If you play with 5 at the back and 2 sitting midfielders, then it looks to me that the manager doesn't have a lot of belief in his team from the outset. Then there is the belief to hold a ball and make a pass. That has totally disappeared. And don't anyone say it is the Champions League, because it also happened at the piggery in the SPFL. Or are they world beaters as well? Yes, Gio's tactics play a large role for the simple reason from day one he has brought in fear football. Remember his first games putting the brakes on the full backs going forward. That was the time we went from a 7 point lead to losing the league.

Better teams than us will get beat easily by Ajax, Napoli and Liverpool.

Posters pretending players did not know there's a gulf in quality and class till Gio mentioned it are having a laugh surely?

Back