Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

The very minute that the second capitulation at the piggery ended.
Blatantly obvious he has learned nothing and hasn’t got what it takes to progress us.
Interesting.

So you don't think he's progressed us in Europe?

He also won us a domestic cup, which we know is hugely, astronomically, important to people on here (especially the WAN IN NINE mob).

So we sacked him in the tunnel at the Piggery. The new guy (if we've even appointed him yet). Will he be sacked if we lose the league from 2 points behind?

How far into next season does he get if we persevere with him?

Did you want Gerrard sacked before he won the title? (be honest)

I’ll nip this in the bud right now for you OP.

The board see him as the manager who got us to a European final and who got us to the champions league group stages for the first time in over a decade.

Rightly or wrongly for them it is as black and white as that.

GVB is here until at the very least the end of this season. If we don’t win the league of course then questions will be asked but I don’t necessarily think it will mean he’s sacked, especially if he wins a domestic cup.

So short term, whether we like it or not, he’s the Rangers manager and that is NOT going to change anytime soon. And that’s a fact.
It will change when the support decides enough is enough not the board.

To be honest, pumpings in the CL won't, and shouldn't really, determine what happens to him as a manager. It will be a question of how he is faring domestically. If it remains turgid and behind cetlic then he cannot stay on.

Some people on here seem to be holding up the St.Mirren victory over celtic as some sort of display of Gio's competence domestically. It isn't.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.
Thats a lot of excuses in the last paragraph .
How did ang walk in with no DOF , no team and win the league with a whack of new players.
And has turned us over on a few occasions.

His tactics last night were not to get humiliated (which says it all about his and the players mentality) - end of story - without McGregor they would certainly not have worked

As said in the thread, the group is horrendous and I’m not expecting anything from the group but there’s a way of playing.

We set up as negative as you can get and just took a pumping, let’s be honest if JM is in goal last night, that’s 7 or 8 nil but it’s ok cause we playing Liverpool….no it’s not we might still get pumped but the performance levels, the tactics and the fight is a non negotiable
Lets be honest mate, if your auntie had baws, she'd be your uncle.!
Did you really expect us to go toe to toe with Liverpool?
If you did, your deluded.

He isn't going to get sacked for getting beat off Liverpool, Ajax and Napoli. That would be ridiculous.

He will need to win the league this season though.

The board aren’t going to judge him on any of the performances against champions league teams. The board will judge him on how he does in the league. If we beat Celtic in January and go on to win the league then then board will have done right to stick by him. That only happens if we get more performances like hearts away rather than Celtic away.

His tactics last night were not to get humiliated (which says it all about his and the players mentality) - end of story - without McGregor they would certainly not have worked
That sums it up perfectly for me, I’ve said like 4 times now in this thread, im not expecting any progression from that group on the CL but what I do expect is fight, pressing and performances and Napoli for 60mins outwith we haven’t provided that.

I am still not in the sack Gio camp. However continue to play out of form players, slip further behind in the league,that will determine his future.

So you’re saying without a goalkeeper we’d have received a heavier defeat? Thank goodness UEFA allowed us the luxury of a goalkeeper.

The quality of “analysis” on here is comical.

The board view qualifying for the CL group stages as mission accomplished. He won't be judged on results in said group. And given the 3 teams we are up against it would probably be unfair to do so.

He will be here for the rest of this season at a minimum. We handed them the title last year. If we can't win it again this year then his time should be up.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Gio and the players were more than happy to come away with only a 2-0 defeat and to be perfectly honest so was I.

It could easily have been 6 or 7 if not for Greegsy.

The issue is though Gio's tactics just do not suit our players strengths and abilities and they look unsure and severely lacking in confidence.

It's down to the manager to tackle these matters and I hope that he does but such has been his reluctance or inability to change his approach to date that seems a rather forlorn hope.

He will not be judged on Europe however. It is the League that will ultimately decide his fate. If we are out of the running by January it will be the end for him no doubt but I expect him to see the season out and lead us to the title.

The board aren’t going to judge him on any of the performances against champions league teams. The board will judge him on how he does in the league. If we beat Celtic in January and go on to win the league then then board will have done right to stick by him. That only happens if we get more performances like hearts away rather than Celtic away.
Yeah I agree with this, I just don’t want to see us drop further behind them, if we can keep putting in the performances like the hearts game then I’m holding my hands up and retracting this post but just going on what we’ve seen so far I just can’t in my heart of hearts see that happening.

I’m hope I’m wrong and he proves me wrong but as said in thread header, when does it become ok times up if it doesn’t change

He’s taken all the professional approach gerrard instilled and thrown it out the window, that was not how a champions league team conducts itself on the park last night we were a shambles, no fight no fitness no philosophy of how to play. He is not a very good manager he’s not even competent for me as the teams fitness should be non negotiable
Gerrard never had a CL team at Rangers.
Not sure he played a side with the quality of the three in our current group either.

Yeah I agree with this, I just don’t want to see us drop further behind them, if we can keep putting in the performances like the hearts game then I’m holding my hands up and retracting this post but just going on what we’ve seen so far I just can’t in my heart of hearts see that happening.

I’m hope I’m wrong and he proves me wrong but as said in thread header, when does it become ok times up if it doesn’t change
Not in October anyway. That would be mental, wouldn't it?

How long is his replacement getting into next season if we lose the league this year? (but wins a domestic cup and gets us into the CL)

He will win a few games and then lose or draw a game or two. This will repeat until the tims are out of site in the league and then the noise from the supporters will be too great that he will have to be sacked.

I've not saw anything from us in the league either this season or last season that makes me think he's going to be successful here.

Not in October anyway. That would be mental, wouldn't it?

How long is his replacement getting into next season if we lose the league this year? (but wins a domestic cup and gets us into the CL)
Yeah I’m not shouting for him to go now, my post is about if form doesn’t change and we keep going the way we have been for last 12 months then when do we say enough is enough.

Our away form has killed us but last game we looked better and hopefully that continues and as I’ve said like 4/5 times I hope he can turn it around but and it’s a but if it doesn’t when do pull the plug.

It’s the stubbornness to never change tactics comments that always gets me!!
If he changes tactics too often, the criticism is that the players don’t know what they’re doing one game to the next.
Last season the guy was getting lauded for his ability to change tactics as often as he had to during a game.
Last season, it was Gerrard who was stubbor!

You have to say two points of the top and a lot of the tough away games behind us is not bad form i'd have taken that.
We would also have been level if Morelos did not lose the plot as we would have won that game.
Agree we have to play better and we have the ability to do that in the league.

Forget the result as we never expected anything last night anyway.

Anyone that is happy with his cowardly tactics and attitude is miles off. He set up last night not to take anything from the game but to keep the score down and save himself being put under the spotlight.

Utter cowardice.

Also, the options to replace him. Think we'll be surprised at who this board will eventually go for whether it's for next season or the season after.

Beale would likely be on most people's lists especially if he does well at QPR. But is he our level of ambition? Doubt we'd get the likes of Tedesco or whoever has been mentioned on the European stage.

Back