Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

21/21 was the target before kick off yesterday. We delivered 3 points and carried on from Tynecastle.

That’s two good league performances on the trot and surely we are on our way to finding form and consistency.

Big week ahead.

PSV was the biggest game of the season to that point but was trumped by Celt!c away and the 3 CL matches thus far.
From the perspective of the club, qualifying for the Champions league was massive, and that game was by far the biggest game we've played to date this season.

The 3 CL matches are important, but they are not as significant as the PSV game. The Celtic away game is a big game, but is relatively insignificant compared to the rewards on offer in the PSV game - especially as it's early in the season and the result can be made up over the course of the season.

Barring a massive slump in form and results, and / or more shoeings from the Beasts, I think the board will have every intention of giving him next season as well should he fail to win the league this year.
Intentions is one thing, self protection is another though.
If the fan base turns heavily against Gio, they’d have to act.
Problem is that Gio doesn’t have the Gerrard persona or presence.
This despite having every bit as much success as a player and a manager.
He just isn’t called Steven Gerrard.

Intentions is one thing, self protection is another though.
If the fan base turns heavily against Gio, they’d have to act.
Problem is that Gio doesn’t have the Gerrard persona or presence.
This despite having every bit as much success as a player and a manager.
He just isn’t called Steven Gerrard.
Correct.

I posted the other day to say that I think there’s a superficiality at play among a lot of fans on here.

Gerrard is perceived as a heart on the sleeve born-winner, the embodiment of British pluck and vigour, one who roars passionately into the camera after beating the Beasts all of which strikes a chord with the support, whereas Gio is thought of as more sedate and reserved, even timid and boring by some on here and that just won’t do at all.

Ultimately for many it comes down to what he does against the Yahoos. If he beats them in all of the remaining three league games but loses the title, you get the impression that will be accepted by some on here and conversely that if he lost all three but somehow won the league those same people would still have nagging doubts about him.

It’s a very parochial mindset, IMO.

Correct.

I posted the other day to say that I think there’s a superficiality at play among a lot of fans on here.

Gerrard is perceived as a heart on the sleeve born-winner, the embodiment of British pluck and vigour, one who roars passionately into the camera after beating the Beasts all of which strikes a chord with the support, whereas Gio is thought of as more sedate and reserved, even timid and boring by some on here and that just won’t do at all.

Ultimately for many it comes down to what he does against the Yahoos. If he beats them in all of the remaining three league games but loses the title, you get the impression that will be accepted by some on here and conversely that if he lost all three but somehow won the league those same people would still have nagging doubts about him.

Look at Ancelloti, he’s not really a shouting balling arse kicker but gets results.

I've seen Walter Smith's teams set up to stifle opposition in Europe and at Celtic Park, and still be on the end of heavy losses. There were also times where it looked as though the players had "chucked it" in those games.

But I never questioned Walter Smith's credentials as Rangers manager, nor did I write off the remainder of the season, as often they ended up successful.

In less than a year Van Bronkhorst has won a Scottish Cup, taken us to the Europa League final, and taken us to the group stage of the CL. Yes, there has been a few disappointing games in that time, but he certainly has enough credit in the bank to get the support of the fans.
At the moment we are 2 points behind in the league, and we've only played Celtic once, and it was an away fixture. We haven't been knocked out of any cup competitions. And we are in a CL group with three teams who should be expected to beat us based off their recent history, form, and spending on their squad in transfer fees and wages.

I don't see a realistic change in management that guarantees a better position to what we are in now. There is no reason I see currently that should make us consider looking for a change. Football can change quickly and that may change, or it may prove justified, but we shouldn't currently be in a position of contemplating this.

Finally, we are still in a progression phase as a club. We are not at a peak, or near it, in terms of what successes are available to us on and off the pitch. We probably need another 4/5 seasons of continued (or improved) revenue for that to be used to put us in a stronger position when competing on the pitch, especially in Europe.

Correct.

This is exactly what it is. Gio has more folk calling for him to go after winning 4-0 at Tynecastle than Gerrard did after losing 1-0 at home to Hamilton. The difference being Old Firm records.

That's not to play down the importance of beating them. He must win the OF game at Ibrox in January.

However I cannot get on board with this skeptical, miserable outlook up until that game while good results continue to roll in, just dismissing everything we're seeing.

Let's see if we can get to the world cup in the same position or hopefully better. Then we'll get Lowry, Hagi, Lawrence and maybe a few others back.

I don't see a realistic change in management that guarantees a better position to what we are in now. There is no reason I see currently that should make us consider looking for a change. Football can change quickly and that may change, or it may prove justified, but we shouldn't currently be in a position of contemplating this.
The club won’t be; it’s really only a vocal minority on here that have convinced themselves sticking with Gio is to back a loser and it’s based primarily on his record against Celtic as far as I can see.

Unfortunately this is nonsense. You sell your best players, you step up a European division to the Champions League, you're 2 points behind in your domestic league (nearly level yesterday..) and many want to give him the bullet? What do all the naysayers want - him to buy replacements out of his own pocket? He captained the Netherlands to the World Cup Final in 2010, took Rangers to the Europa League Final last season (who has forgotten that and more to the point, who expected it?) - he definitely knows what he is doing.....

The club won’t be; it’s really only a vocal minority on here that have convinced themselves sticking with Gio is to back a loser and it’s based primarily on his record against Celtic as far as I can see.
They are allowed a point but some have gone crazy on it and are really needing to take a look at themselves as negative threads on Gio are all they post.

No, it’s not.

His record against Celtic is atrocious and clinging onto an extra time win in a cup game to try and justify his old firm record is mental.

The fact is that league games only last for 90 minutes and Gio has never proven he can beat the mentally challengeds in regulation time.

Not only has he not managed to win an old firm game in 90 minutes, he’s overseen two absolute pumpings in that time too.

In your opinion, Gio may have proven he is capable of beating the mentally challengeds because we won the cup semi in extra time but for me it proved nothing.
Hilariously bad post, possibly worst post of the year so far.

Keep up with this attack minded positive, confident, flowing football. I might again actually start to believe in his brand of total football.

Last edited:
Worth also pointing out the state we were in though, we were never going to win the first game. Remember before Gerrard we were hoping it wasn't 5+ goals let In. We never let more than 2 goals in across gerrards whole tenure I believe, domestically.

Also one of those losses in your first part was a cup final where their goal game from having 3 players offside and we absolutely thrashed them in one of the most one sided old firms I've ever seen (the one Alfie missed a penalty and about 20 sitters.. if we had cokak we could have been looking st a 10-0 scoreline).

Gerrards record against them was remarkable even when we lost we didn't get battered and in some cases like above we actually battered them so convincingly that even though they were given the win through a dodgy decision, all of their fans knew they were battered.
I genuinely hope as time passes and history sets in (and feelings of being scorned as he left) that some people finally appreciate just how much the Gerrard era brought us forward. What we done during that time was ridiculous. Like u say that dodgy cup final loss, then breaking their 10-in a row, getting 55, massively over achieving in Europe, smashing old firms…

As long as he keeps winning domestically he will be the manager. 4-0 away to hearts, and 4-0 against 3rd in the table St Mirren who beat the scum last week.

Hopefully that’s us turning a bit of a corner domestically. Some really fast play and direct passing today.
Coinciding with Kent being dropped…

A dramatic change in consistency?
If we discount Hibs, which we should due to Collum, the only game we havent taken maximum points in this season is Celtic!

"Should've been out of sight" a saying that really holds no merit as outwith maybe Man City there arent any teams that convert every chance they create. Its just not how football works.
Yes, a dramatic change in the consistency of our away results. You can isolate it to this season, but you and I both know that the issues from last season are still there.

So just basing your view on last season? Because you think he 'cost us' the league? And can't get past it?
No, I’m basing my views on the overall evidence of the last 9 months. We only have 4 or 5 away leagues games this season, do you want me to just ignore those debacles from Jan-Apr because there was a summer break?

Let’s look at this season then…

The first half at Livi was one of the worst I’ve seen under Gio.

Not taking our chances at Easter Rd and allowing Hibs back into it twice.

4-0 at Parkhead speaks for itself.

First proper performance was at Tynecastle.

If you think everything is dandy, then fine.

And on a side note, why are you putting ‘cost us’ the league in quotation marks when I said no such thing? You just made that part up.

Time to get behind the players and manager again we're hitting form now domestically with the tims struggling. Let's look forward and not back.
I agree I still have serious doubts he's the man but we must win this league and we need to be united although there are numerous games before it the next old firm is huge if we don't win Gio will under big pressure

No, I’m basing my views on the overall evidence of the last 9 months. We only have 4 or 5 away leagues games this season, do you want me to just ignore those debacles from Jan-Apr because there was a summer break?

Let’s look at this season then…

The first half at Livi was one of the worst I’ve seen under Gio.

Not taking our chances at Easter Rd and allowing Hibs back into it twice.

4-0 at Parkhead speaks for itself.

First proper performance was at Tynecastle.

If you think everything is dandy, then fine.

And on a side note, why are you putting ‘cost us’ the league in quotation marks when I said no such thing? You just made that part up.
Livingston, we won that game and also got a good goal chalked off.
Hibs away Morelos let us down and lost us the points, a game we were winning easily.
The game against them was terrible.

Time to be more positive.

Livingston, we won that game and also got a good goal chalked off.
Hibs away Morelos let us down and lost us the points, a game we were winning easily.

LOL

Did you want me to say it was fantastic?

Obviously, you are being negative even when we will as you mentioned Livingston game.
I’m not being negative, I’m being honest, it was rotten. We did what we’ve done all too often at places like Livi, gave ourselves a mountain to climb.

Last season proves that isn’t sustainable.

I’ll keep supporting the team at the games but I’m not going to disguise how concerned I really am about the rest of this seasons away games because some happy clappers tell me to be positive.

If we get to January and have a 100% away record with a few clean sheets then we have turned a corner, but as it stands, there’s no proof of this.

Anybody else think Gio's demeanour was a bit different yesterday? Watching him on the touchline, he definitely looked a bit more pissed off/serious, then his usually genial/affable attitude in the press conference was replaced with something a bit more stoic, serious and a bit miffed.

Probably reading too much into it, and in no way am I part of the 'Gio out' brigrade, but I wonder whether he's caught wind of some of the criticism and thinks it's unfair, and has gone into a determined mode of just getting the job done/'ill show them'

Anybody else think Gio's demeanour was a bit different yesterday? Watching him on the touchline, he definitely looked a bit more pissed off/serious, then his usually genial/affable attitude in the press conference was replaced with something a bit more stoic, serious and a bit miffed.

Probably reading too much into it, and in no way am I part of the 'Gio out' brigrade, but I wonder whether he's caught wind of some of the criticism and thinks it's unfair, and has gone into a determined mode of just getting the job done/'ill show them'
I saw him get quite emotional/agitated at times and thought it was unusual for him, if honest I like to see a manager get like this occasionally it shows the support they care although in reality it has little effect on the game

I genuinely hope as time passes and history sets in (and feelings of being scorned as he left) that some people finally appreciate just how much the Gerrard era brought us forward. What we done during that time was ridiculous. Like u say that dodgy cup final loss, then breaking their 10-in a row, getting 55, massively over achieving in Europe, smashing old firms…
Spot on mate

Anyone that downplays what Gerrard done for us vs that lot is frankly still drinking the salty tears or is an idiot and their opinion should be disregarded. There's negatives under the Gerrard era if you really wanna barter in against him but the old firms, 55 season and europe in general are something that should never be said in bad light against Gerrard

The only game, IMO, Gerrard got wrong against them was the first old firm where he went extremely defensive and sat back - and to be fair, everyone on here was expecting to get pumped 4 and 5 0 because of how the games prior went, so i can see why Gerrard was extremely cautious, but the slaughtering he got for sitting back was what made Gerrard IMO and helped mould our strategy for europe.

He realised sitting back would have got the fans on his back, no matter who it was against or how impossible the game seemed - we wouldn't accept sitting back. Ever since then we never once sat back not even in Europe against better teams and I still believe that first old firm was the defining factor for how Gerrard wanted to play. Aye, some better teams forced us into defending at times that's expected to happen, maybe even for decent spells of games, but I honestly can't think of a game other than that one where we genuinely just just went out to defend.

Honesty required here, I truly believe if we replace gvb management , get a decent manager in even if its till end of season I don't care at this moment, we win the league this season, these players have had the life sucked out of them by the management imo and are far better than they are showing this season.If the board can be bothered that is.

I said at the weekend it’s best not to try and be a smart arse on here but the same folk will be nowhere to be seen. The same thing they were all having a wee laugh and joke about on Saturday slagging posters. I don’t take any pleasure in it as I just want the best for our Club.

Never wanted him and don’t want him now. Fraud of a manager who was managing in a back water league for a reason. I used to watch him as a player and raved about his performances. He then hid in the treatment room waiting for his tranfer. After that I though, feck him. Just like I do now.

We were never ever going to realistically compete in this group. To say otherwise is folly. Losing like we are is painfull to say the least. Europa league is our level it’s that simple. Concentrate on the bread and butter, even if we win the league for the next say…5 years, we still won’t have the resources to compete in this competition, even getting lucky in the draw. Just my opinion. Is it Gio’s fault…..

Also, the options to replace him. Think we'll be surprised at who this board will eventually go for whether it's for next season or the season after.

Beale would likely be on most people's lists especially if he does well at QPR. But is he our level of ambition? Doubt we'd get the likes of Tedesco or whoever has been mentioned on the European stage.
He’s out on the tiles.

Unfortunately this is nonsense. You sell your best players, you step up a European division to the Champions League, you're 2 points behind in your domestic league (nearly level yesterday..) and many want to give him the bullet? What do all the naysayers want - him to buy replacements out of his own pocket? He captained the Netherlands to the World Cup Final in 2010, took Rangers to the Europa League Final last season (who has forgotten that and more to the point, who expected it?) - he definitely knows what he is doing.....
It's the directors that need to go starting with Robertson who doesn't give a stuff about what we think and is never in our corner,and Graeme Park.
Ross Wilson and Bisgrove have too much say in what goes on, then Gio if there's no change.

Back