Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

I’m not a Celtic fan mate.

I’m a rangers supporter. I look at things through a critical eye. I don’t care about evening up luck. I want us to take the bins out against teams we should be. If we don’t, they we are the ones who need the luck and get back into the title race every time we screw up, which you can see from the list of crap results I posted isn’t just a one off, but a fundamental issue.

If we finish second in the league this season, I’m not going to blame bad luck by going down to 9 men v hibs. The way I see it, we need to assume Celtic are going to do what they’ve done for the last calendar year and do the business in most games. If we continually drop points and can’t even draw level after they lose at Love St 8 games in, then we are relying on luck and things going our way in games we aren’t involved in, it’s that simple.
Apologies.. as I've not read much previous to this post.

With respect though mate you seem to look at us through a 'I want it yesterday' eye, & one which suggests you are new to the nip & tuck of title battles.

The fact that you then go on to rip into the team, & talk that lot up suggests.. I guess.. the accusation that's been made against you.

Given your 1st sentence.

I’m a rangers supporter. I look at things through a critical eye. I don’t care about evening up luck. I want us to take the bins out against teams we should be. If we don’t, they we are the ones who need the luck and get back into the title race every time we screw up, which you can see from the list of crap results I posted isn’t just a one off, but a fundamental issue.

If we finish second in the league this season, I’m not going to blame bad luck by going down to 9 men v hibs. The way I see it, we need to assume Celtic are going to do what they’ve done for the last calendar year and do the business in most games. If we continually drop points and can’t even draw level after they lose at Love St 8 games in, then we are relying on luck and things going our way in games we aren’t involved in, it’s that simple.
You brought up the issue of dumb luck in order to downplay the fact that whether you like it or not we are right on septics heels.

And btw we will have to rely on other teams taking points off of them. As well as winning their own games teams always have relied on other teams beating or drawing with their nearest rivals. Thats not luck in my book thats football.

You have your view and I can't see point of attempting to have a balanced discussion with someone who always resorts to "if" and evades questions.
Enjoy your evening.

Apologies.. as I've not read much previous to this post.

With respect though mate you seem to look at us through a 'I want it yesterday' eye, & one which suggests you are new to the nip & tuck of title battles.

The fact that you then go on to rip into the team, & talk that lot up suggests.. I guess.. the accusation that's been made against you.

Given your 1st sentence.
Nope, I’m 35 and know exactly how titles go, twists and turns and the need to win ugly etc.

There’s little evidence to show this side are going to pick up enough points without relying heavily on luck to win this league.

Nobody has a crystal ball, we can only form opinions based on what we can see in front of us.

Last paragraph is where it’s at.

I’m unsure as to the direction we’re going tactility as the players brought in (Lawrence aside) don’t appear to fit Gio’s game plan.

Might sound daft, be we have too many top third players and no midfield influence.

They may be very good players in their own right but they’re ineffectual if no one is feeding them the ball at the right time.

I think that's a direct consequence of how Gio sets up-things were a lot more compressed under SG -the players were closer together and we were balanced both sides. Now we are both disjointed and lop sided-Tav noticeably more advanced than BB for example.

And last week-it was clearly go direct and wide quick-which resulted in two great goals but tell me how many teams are going to push out like Hearts away from home? Only one so I would be stunned if we get away with it week in week out.

Also and I'm not making excuses for Kent as he has dug a hole for himself but he is nearly always waiting for a link...it gets to him and he has the option of beating usually two men or having to wait for BB -before players were closer and BB was more advanced and he had more options.

Being flexible is great playing 2 DM's doesn't bother me-Celtic played with 2 holding DM's versus us-the big difference with them is how far advanced they are-nearly always 4 or 5 players pushing on a defence. It is mental in Europe but in Scotland they are going to out punch their opponents nearly every week.

Going to Parkhead last season, Amad Diallo out wide, sitting back and trying to keep the zero and watching a hiding where we never laid a glove. I thought that would never happen again under GvB. Roll on the following season, replace Diallo with Malik Tillman and watch the same utter shite unfold again. Mental.

It’s more than just the Old Firm matches that get me. However, we’ve a great opportunity to take 21/21 before the World Cup break and it’s about time we found some form.
This is what annoys me.

The performance at the Piggery at the last game was completely different as was the set up -to say it was the same simply isn't true.
Yes the outcome was as bad and the performance unacceptable so yes we can agree he deserves big stick because I wouldn't have started either player you mention.

The first game we got utterly battered but we had our CF in our own half defending-in the recent game we went toe to toe for sections but always looked liked losing goals.
It was nowhere near as defensive but I get the outcome is the same.

After we play 11 games see where we are in the league. If we are within 3 points of the lead then that is a reasonable start to the season. He's achieved CL participation so that is one box ticked. I would like to see more of Lowrie and McCann. We played well v Hearts so Gio can provide good football when the players perform. He can make some weird decisions though, Davis and Tillman v Liverpool?

We beat St Mirren tomorrow and we'll be 3 points better off in the league, compared to the same stage with Gerrard last season.

Gio has also beaten 2 very good teams, to qualify for the CL group stages, whereas Gerrard lost to Malmo, scraped past 10 man Alashkert and then got beaten by Lyon, embarrassed by Sparta and drew with Brondby.

Anyone who thinks we were better off at this stage last season, is living in his own strange wee planet.
Things weren’t perfect under gerrard but there was a steady improvement year on year , other than a handful of European games we have regressed under gio and the football is terrible to watch with no real style of play his interviews are boring also to the point of not bothering to listen to them anymore , he hasn’t been helped by the signings mind you last January and again in the summer which I think was also one of the reasons gerrard was looking to move on after only getting 2 free transfers after winning the league .

Putting two questions out there

Do we look fit and sharp this season?
Does the gaffer know his best/ strongest team and formation?

In my opinion both are no.

Question is why ?

Edit.....3rd question flung in
Great points

Hes certainly keeping the Zshero in the Champions League

Points and Goals for

His style is just so boring and doesn’t really have a place in the modern game.

I actually think that he has something about him and if he was willing to adapt his style for European and Domestic games then he’d have a chance of being successful.

Right now though, I can’t shake the feeling that its only a matter of time before we admit he hasn’t got what’s required and replace him.

Personally I would like to replace Gio right now and that would be the correct decision if we had a competent and strong board. Unfortunately, we have the opposite and weak individuals on the footballing board and also on the holding company board. Gio is safe until the summer as he has provided the board with the funds from the CL qualification to allow these clowns to show boat their egos in front of our shareholders at the forthcoming AGM. They will get a light ride no doubt and the fat useless Chairman will wallow in his applause. We need better and immhoping they will realise that.

Personally I would like to replace Gio right now and that would be the correct decision if we had a competent and strong board. Unfortunately, we have the opposite and weak individuals on the footballing board and also on the holding company board. Gio is safe until the summer as he has provided the board with the funds from the CL qualification to allow these clowns to show boat their egos in front of our shareholders at the forthcoming AGM. They will get a light ride no doubt and the fat useless Chairman will wallow in his applause. We need better and immhoping they will realise that.
Why would it be the correct decision to sack a manager in October, when we sit 2 points behind? Is there any precedence for this in our history? Which "strong and competent boards" back in the day took such action?

Your comments about the chairman show that you're a bit of a moron tbh.

Why would it be the correct decision to sack a manager in October, when we sit 2 points behind? Is there any precedence for this in our history? Which "strong and competent boards" back in the day took such action?

Your comments about the chairman show that you're a bit of a moron tbh.
Because he is incompetent. Simples or do you not attend our games. It happens in any well run organisation. The head has to go and be replaced. I rest my case your honour!

Because he is incompetent. Simples or do you not attend our games. It happens in any well run organisation. The head has to go and be replaced. I rest my case your honour!

He’s not though, which is part of the problem.

His European results and his Scottish cup win clearly show that he has something about him (his non old firm league record does too) but it’s just difficult to shake that feeling that deep down we don’t think he is the man for us.

I’m a massive critic of Gio but I don’t think we’ve ever had a conundrum like this before with our manager.

What do you think about the board though?

What do you think about the board though?
I don’t have a lot of confidence in the day to day board or as we would call the footballing executive board i.e Robertson, Wilson & Bisgrove. With regards the holding company board, I’m grateful to the likes of George Letham, George Taylor and Stuart Gibson.

But its not that simple. Because as it stands now, and as it stood before they lost at Love st, we weren't relying on luck, as all we had to do is win our games. If we win our games, which you seem to believe is our right, then we win the league.

But league seasons very, very rarely work out like that. We drop points, they drop points. Injuries, suspensions, refereeing errors, games being cancelled, busy schedules all need to be taken in to account over the course of a league season.

You can't go around sacking a manager after 8 games because he's two points off the top of the league. That's insane.

But its not that simple. Because as it stands now, and as it stood before they lost at Love st, we weren't relying on luck, as all we had to do is win our games. If we win our games, which you seem to believe is our right, then we win the league.

But league seasons very, very rarely work out like that. We drop points, they drop points. Injuries, suspensions, refereeing errors, games being cancelled, busy schedules all need to be taken in to account over the course of a league season.

You can't go around sacking a manager after 8 games because he's two points off the top of the league. That's insane.

It's only insane if you believe Gio can win us this league title. If you don't believe he can, then it's the perfect time to make a change.

I feel like the whole situation is a bit of a conundrum at this point tbh. Gio is doing well enough that sacking him doesn't really make much sense but he's also not doing enough to give the fans confidence that he's the man that can win us the league.

It's only insane if you believe Gio can win us this league title. If you don't believe he can, then it's the perfect time to make a change.

I feel like the whole situation is a bit of a conundrum at this point tbh. Gio is doing well enough that sacking him doesn't really make much sense but he's also not doing enough to give the fans confidence that he's the man that can win us the league.
How can anybody look at a team who are two points behind in a league campaign and say "Nope, he won't win it, best to change now and HOPE that the next man coming in hits the ground running and keeps winning games like, eh, the last man was doing."

It is insanity and thankfully not something the board will be considering.

How can anybody look at a team who are two points behind in a league campaign and say "Nope, he won't win it, best to change now and HOPE that the next man coming in hits the ground running and keeps winning games like, eh, the last man was doing."

It is insanity and thankfully not something the board will be considering.

Because some people are taking a bigger picture view and they remember us blowing a 6 point lead last season, they remember us not being able to beat the mentally challengeds under Gio and they watch us struggle more often than not to beat the jobber teams in the league.

I agree that the board won't/shouldn't sack Gio right now but I also don't think Gio is the man to win us the league so that's why I said it's a conundrum.

As long as he is within touching distance or in front of timmy then I doubt he will be going anywhere. Two failures at winning the league though, for me that means bye bye.
Gerrard failed to win the league in his first two seasons and had a terrible cup record.

Because some people are taking a bigger picture view and they remember us blowing a 6 point lead last season, they remember us not being able to beat the mentally challengeds under Gio and they watch us struggle more often than not to beat the jobber teams in the league.

I agree that the board won't/shouldn't sack Gio right now but I also don't think Gio is the man to win us the league so that's why I said it's a conundrum.
Then their memories are selective, because we have.

Counting an extra time win in a cup competition isn't quite the own you think it is mate.
Isn't it? Has GvB put out a Rangers team that have beaten Celtic? Yes, he has. Therefore he has shown that he is capable of beating them. Yes, he'll have to show he can beat them in a league game, but totally discounting a victory because it wasn't over 90 mins is nonsense - or did Follow Follows 2nd favourite Aussie play a different system and team in the cup?

Isn't it? Has GvB put out a Rangers team that have beaten Celtic? Yes, he has. Therefore he has shown that he is capable of beating them. Yes, he'll have to show he can beat them in a league game, but totally discounting a victory because it wasn't over 90 mins is nonsense - or did Follow Follows 2nd favourite Aussie play a different system and team in the cup?

No, it’s not.

His record against Celtic is atrocious and clinging onto an extra time win in a cup game to try and justify his old firm record is mental.

The fact is that league games only last for 90 minutes and Gio has never proven he can beat the mentally challengeds in regulation time.

Not only has he not managed to win an old firm game in 90 minutes, he’s overseen two absolute pumpings in that time too.

In your opinion, Gio may have proven he is capable of beating the mentally challengeds because we won the cup semi in extra time but for me it proved nothing.

I think that's a direct consequence of how Gio sets up-things were a lot more compressed under SG -the players were closer together and we were balanced both sides. Now we are both disjointed and lop sided-Tav noticeably more advanced than BB for example.

And last week-it was clearly go direct and wide quick-which resulted in two great goals but tell me how many teams are going to push out like Hearts away from home? Only one so I would be stunned if we get away with it week in week out.

Also and I'm not making excuses for Kent as he has dug a hole for himself but he is nearly always waiting for a link...it gets to him and he has the option of beating usually two men or having to wait for BB -before players were closer and BB was more advanced and he had more options.

Being flexible is great playing 2 DM's doesn't bother me-Celtic played with 2 holding DM's versus us-the big difference with them is how far advanced they are-nearly always 4 or 5 players pushing on a defence. It is mental in Europe but in Scotland they are going to out punch their opponents nearly every week.
In essence I agree with a lot of your comments. Particularly the Kent one. I find it absolutely bizarre that he’ll wait on BB when facing up a lone fullback, but in the event he has 2/3 opponents in front of him he’ll go on a mazy.

I’m a Kent fan (and his fans are ever-decreasing), but I cannot for the life of me believe that some of the decisions he makes are under instruction.

As for Tav being more advanced than BB, I have no problem with that at all. Balance required in some sense of course but you don’t need a symmetrical formation. Tillman (as an example) in the RW position won’t offer the same as Kent and his starting position may be different/more central etc.

Totally agree on the middle btw. I think its beyond team selection - its definitely tactical too. That said, if we don’t play an Arfield/Tillman/Lawrence type within that central 3 we look absolutely tragic at linking middle to front. As in completely hopeless.

My feeling exactly.

On the agreement Gio is not the man, the last thing Rangers need is a move to replace him with no clear idea of whos coming in and what the direction of the Team would be under his Stewardship.

Gio has overseen the gifting of the League to Celt!c and within that the single worst display (banter yrs aside) I have witnessed vs them. To compound that offence he repeated it this season indicating not only a tactical flaw but an inability to learn from a glaring error. That alone would be reason for him to go.

However given Europe is looking grim and on the assumption Celt!c qualify for the CL next state, the title is there for the taking, if Gio can get his act together tactically. Whether we win the League or not Id say thanks for all the effort now its in both our interests to seek new horizons and goodbye.

Sacking Gio now will only condemn the new Manager to a remaining season of struggle and problems. As unhelpful as it would be unfair.

Id look to ID the candidate(s) and start the ball rolling on a change towards the very end of the season, bringing in the new Manager early in the Summer.

The difficulty with all that of course is Ross Wilson would be key in every decision making stage and he himself is part of the problem. He may well be the entire problem. Id be looking for him to move on even quicker than Gio but thats going to take a ballsy move from the Board which is not on the cards.

Things weren’t perfect under gerrard but there was a steady improvement year on year , other than a handful of European games we have regressed under gio and the football is terrible to watch with no real style of play his interviews are boring also to the point of not bothering to listen to them anymore , he hasn’t been helped by the signings mind you last January and again in the summer which I think was also one of the reasons gerrard was looking to move on after only getting 2 free transfers after winning the league .

Don't agree mate.

We've taken a huge leap under Gio, with our European performances and we were in freefall under Gerrard last season.

No chance we would've got out of our Europa group, after an embarrassing exit in the CL.

Gio managed to take the same group of players that had lost at home to 10 man Malmo, and go to Dortmund and pish all over Borrusia.

We also started the league last season worse than this season and only the abysmal early season form of celtic masked Gerrard's major shortcomings in the league.
Had celtic started the league the way they finished it, then it would've been over by the end of October.

As for Gio's "handful" of European wins, well defeating Sparta, Dortmund, Red Star, Braga, RB Leipzig, took us to a European final, against all the odds.
This season, beating 2 very good teams, in Union and PSV, has got us into the CL group stages and the money that comes with it.

I'll be eternally grateful to Gerrard for winning 55.

However, let's not forget the constant run of cup defeats against lesser sides.

Giio took us to a European final and the Scottish Cup in his first season.
He's got us into the CL group stages, despite a mammoth injury list.

Yes but he wasn’t getting slapped about at Parkhead

He could've easily in his first game.

We never looked like scoring and 4 or 5 certainly wouldn't have flattered them.

Copping heavy defeats isn't uncommon for Rangers managers.

Symon, Waddell, Wallace, Greig, Souness, Smith, Advocaat and McLeish, all took sore ones at the piggery.

They cannot be allowed to continue though

In essence I agree with a lot of your comments. Particularly the Kent one. I find it absolutely bizarre that he’ll wait on BB when facing up a lone fullback, but in the event he has 2/3 opponents in front of him he’ll go on a mazy.

I’m a Kent fan (and his fans are ever-decreasing), but I cannot for the life of me believe that some of the decisions he makes are under instruction.

As for Tav being more advanced than BB, I have no problem with that at all. Balance required in some sense of course but you don’t need a symmetrical formation. Tillman (as an example) in the RW position won’t offer the same as Kent and his starting position may be different/more central etc.

Totally agree on the middle btw. I think its beyond team selection - its definitely tactical too. That said, if we don’t play an Arfield/Tillman/Lawrence type within that central 3 we look absolutely tragic at linking middle to front. As in completely hopeless.

I don't think the constant changing of the central midfield has helped-who has been consistent this season? No one really.

And I agree it's hard to tell sometimes what has went wrong-clearly the players are making individual mistakes.
Take Anfield our passing particularly in the first half was woeful I hardly think Gio said just kick it anywhere.
Similarly at the Piggery we switched off badly at the goals. Manager's cannot totally compensate for that.

However there seems to be a general malaise in the team that makes you wonder if the constant tweaking etc is having an impact.

I’ve not suggested sacking Gio, and wouldn’t do so either.

I’m basing a view on the evidence presented to us from January onwards. We have picked up 1 point from 9 at Celtic and dropped 10 points at other jobber grounds. Now if that was a record of 2 draws at Celtic and 1/2 draws elsewhere I’d have more of a optimistic outlook.

Based on the last 9 months head to head between their management and ours, it’s not about it being a need to win nearly all of our games v the other sides, because a) Celtic have our number and b) they generally take the bins out v the others

What screw-ups?
Not sure if you’ve been watching Rangers domestically in 2022, but I’ll spell out the screw ups;

Lead surrendered at Pittodrie
Giving away a last min equaliser at Ross County
2 inept performances at Parkhead
Giving up another lead at home to Celtic
Missing about 1k chances at Tannadice to draw
Morelos silly red at Hibs that cost us another 2pt

If we were to have even halfed that list, we’d have been in the title race beyond April last year and probably be top now.

Not sure if you’ve been watching Rangers domestically in 2022, but I’ll spell out the screw ups;

Lead surrendered at Pittodrie
Giving away a last min equaliser at Ross County
2 inept performances at Parkhead
Giving up another lead at home to Celtic
Missing about 1k chances at Tannadice to draw
Morelos silly red at Hibs that cost us another 2pt

If we were to have even halfed that list, we’d have been in the title race beyond April last year and probably be top now.
Only the defeat to Celtic and Morelos red card are this season though. Last season is gone.
And lets be absolutely fair here - if it wasn't for Willie Collum, we wouldn't have dropped points at Hibs - and you simply cannot blame the manager for Morelos's red car either.

The defeat to Celtic was painful, and the manager and players need to take that one and do better.

Yet, despite these 'screw ups', here we are, still very much in a title race.

Hardly comparable situations

To be fair in his second season he had a year in the job and had a team that consisted of McGregor, Wes, Tav, Flanagan, Goldson, Katic, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Aribo, Kent, Morelos

That was backed up with players he felt could make a difference domestically as they were used to the league in Jones, Barker and Stewart. We had Defoe to back up Alfie. We also signed Ojo, King, Hagi (from Jan onwards) and, Kamberi.

Gerrard did have his own squad starting the season 19/20, and added to that in January when we were joint top, but by March we were out both cups and 13 points behind Celtic (with 2 games in hand).

To be fair in his second season he had a year in the job and had a team that consisted of McGregor, Wes, Tav, Flanagan, Goldson, Katic, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Aribo, Kent, Morelos

That was backed up with players he felt could make a difference domestically as they were used to the league in Jones, Barker and Stewart. We had Defoe to back up Alfie. We also signed Ojo, King, Hagi (from Jan onwards) and, Kamberi.

Gerrard did have his own squad starting the season 19/20, and added to that in January when we were joint top, but by March we were out both cups and 13 points behind Celtic (with 2 games in hand).
Gerrard inherited a squad that had lost 4-0 and 5-0 to them in the space of a couple of weeks we were at a very low point he turned that around installed a different mentality especially when we played them Gio inherited a squad who had just had an unbeaten season in the league and had a 4 point lead he's never beat them in the league and we have suffered two humiliating defeats until he proves he can beat them consistently he'll always be under pressure

I don't think the constant changing of the central midfield has helped-who has been consistent this season? No one really.

And I agree it's hard to tell sometimes what has went wrong-clearly the players are making individual mistakes.
Take Anfield our passing particularly in the first half was woeful I hardly think Gio said just kick it anywhere.
Similarly at the Piggery we switched off badly at the goals. Manager's cannot totally compensate for that.

However there seems to be a general malaise in the team that makes you wonder if the constant tweaking etc is having an impact.
Yeah, that’s a good point.

Folk will naturally point to those who left (e.g Nigerian trio) as being the big difference between this season and last - particularly with the awful European results this term.

There was a criticism of Gerrard that he was too stubborn and inflexible - but he probably had about 8/9 nailed-on starters for the games that really matter. That does help build a platform.

Whether through selection, injury, form or even just for the sake of it - I’d say Gio has 4 or 5 nailed-on within the core of the team

People will also look at the LCB and RW rotations but I feel the effect of changing it so much is felt at a much higher level in the central midfield. Like you say, no-one in there has stood out in terms of form - that’s pretty telling. We cannot be saying the same in a few months time, someone needs to step up and start bossing games. I wouldn’t mind seeing a first-choice midfield (whatever that is for Gio) getting a sustained run of games now between now and the WC. My fear is it’ll be a different 3 every game.

Gerrard inherited a squad that had lost 4-0 and 5-0 to them in the space of a couple of weeks we were at a very low point he turned that around installed a different mentality especially when we played them Gio inherited a squad who had just had an unbeaten season in the league and had a 4 point lead he's never beat them in the league and we have suffered two humiliating defeats until he proves he can beat them consistently he'll always be under pressure

So really all your concern is our games against Celtic? Doesn't matter Gerrard had us 13 points behind them and out the 2 domestic cups by February after 18 months into the job and with his own squad? His team done well in the Old Firms so gets a pass?

Odd.

So really all your concern is our games against Celtic? Doesn't matter Gerrard had us 13 points behind them and out the 2 domestic cups by February after 18 months into the job and with his own squad? His team done well in the Old Firms so gets a pass?

Odd.
We don't beat them we don't win the league he won't survive another humiliating defeat vs them he has to win at least 2 league games vs them this season it's a two horse race every year

Odd.
Mate, as you are alluding too, this whole GvB out nonsense is simply because Celtic pumped us in the first Old firm. For some, beating them is everything, regardless of what it leads to.

Gerrard’s first season we lost to Aberdeen 3 times and drew with them twice, we also drew with Kilmarnock 3 times and lost to them twice.

no use beating celtic if you can’t beat the other dross.

No, it’s not.

His record against Celtic is atrocious and clinging onto an extra time win in a cup game to try and justify his old firm record is mental.

The fact is that league games only last for 90 minutes and Gio has never proven he can beat the mentally challengeds in regulation time.

Not only has he not managed to win an old firm game in 90 minutes, he’s overseen two absolute pumpings in that time too.

In your opinion, Gio may have proven he is capable of beating the mentally challengeds because we won the cup semi in extra time but for me it proved nothing.
That is just ludicrous.

I suppose we should forget about Warburton’s semi final win because it needed penalties to achieve it, or Edu’s injury time winner against the Yahoos under Smith?

A win is a win, FFS!

His record against them is a concern, but denying him that one is just churlish and tends to skew valid criticism into personal axe grinding.

Back