Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

thehammerlegend

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

The GK fiascal…..enough said, which also ties in with recruitment.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?

is it the case that the answer you’re looking for is for him to be sacked today?
I dunno, but how much time do we give him? We stick with him drop more points behind them and they are onto instant CL qualification again and more money to transfers….we finish 2nd and continue signing very poorly. I just don’t know

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?

This is for me the biggest issue.

He’s taken all the professional approach gerrard instilled and thrown it out the window, that was not how a champions league team conducts itself on the park last night we were a shambles, no fight no fitness no philosophy of how to play. He is not a very good manager he’s not even competent for me as the teams fitness should be non negotiable

He also got us to a European final with a threadbare squad missing our best striker and arguably best defender.

Beat Celtic and won the cup final.

Reached the CL group stage

Despite poor form domestically, the only thing stopping us being joint top of the table is a disgraceful refereeing performance at Easter Road - this against the backdrop of multiple injuries to key first team players and playing in almost every midweek to gain access to the CL.

Gio has enough credit in the bank for me to be given the opportunity to win the league this season.

That said, if we’re miles off it again after the next old firm game, all that credit could be gone.

Last edited:
End of the season for me, as much as we've had a lot of poor performances this season we are still very much in title race, of course another capitulation against Celtic might change my mind

No offence OP but can Admin please merge your thread with the other 756 threads on getting shot of Gio

Gio will be here until (if) league is lost in 6 months time.

I think he deserves that after Europa run. Gerrard wouldn't have got us anywhere near Seville final remember.

Players need a huge kick up the jacksie though. Gio maybe gonna need try 442 or something different as games boring mostly now.

This!! Ffs we are two points behind! Folk thinking we should be going out and battering Liverpool and if not the manager should go! Crazy. We saw last night just how good Napoli are too.
As said in the thread, the group is horrendous and I’m not expecting anything from the group but there’s a way of playing.

We set up as negative as you can get and just took a pumping, let’s be honest if JM is in goal last night, that’s 7 or 8 nil but it’s ok cause we playing Liverpool….no it’s not we might still get pumped but the performance levels, the tactics and the fight is a non negotiable

I dunno, but how much time do we give him? We stick with him drop more points behind them and they are onto instant CL qualification again and more money to transfers….we finish 2nd and continue signing very poorly. I just don’t know
We bring in somebody else and all the above might still happen.
For me, for as long as we are still at a point where beating the scum in January keeps us in the league.
If we’re more than three points behind after that game, that’ll be the time.
The end of the next window for definite.
Just remember though, he and his team’s pay offs are probably worth two players‘ transfer values so binning him today takes millions from our transfer budget.

He’s taken all the professional approach gerrard instilled and thrown it out the window, that was not how a champions league team conducts itself on the park last night we were a shambles, no fight no fitness no philosophy of how to play. He is not a very good manager he’s not even competent for me as the teams fitness should be non negotiable
We played a team with a market value of £800m
We fought from the start unlike against Ajax so you’re exaggerating. Gerrard lost home and away to Malmö’ and cost us CL qualification.
The selective memory on here is relentless

As long as he is within touching distance or in front of timmy then I doubt he will be going anywhere. Two failures at winning the league though, for me that means bye bye.
I'd say this is the marker for him.

We look certain to crash out of Europe altogether at the end of the group stage, so the league becomes the be-all-and-end-all.

Currently we're only a couple of points of the mhanks.

If we see them extend that lead and put the league beyond reasonable doubt, then he should be replaced IMHO.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.

As said in the thread, the group is horrendous and I’m not expecting anything from the group but there’s a way of playing.

We set up as negative as you can get and just took a pumping, let’s be honest if JM is in goal last night, that’s 7 or 8 nil but it’s ok cause we playing Liverpool….no it’s not we might still get pumped but the performance levels, the tactics and the fight is a non negotiable
Gio got his tactics wrong, but he made the changes and we were more threatening towards the last 20 mins. He can’t get it right every time, though he pretty much did during last seasons campaign. He set the team up a certain way, it didn’t work, that’s football.

You know the times up when it becomes a chore going to watch one of the most boring Rangers teams in memory.

Home against utter dross and we play 2 defensive midfielders and take about 15 passes to get it out of midfield.
Away against any team it’s Operation Keep The Zero, whilst any attempt at looking like a football team goes out the window.

How many times last night did we fail to make a simple pass? How many times did we fail to even close to the opponent? How many times when it required real grit and effort did our players just jog about. It doesn’t matter who the opponent is, at least make an effort and get the basics right ffs.

Finished with Gio a long time ago, he’s taken all the goodness of going to see our team which is some fucking feat. Even Pedro and Murty never had me thinking “is it even worth wasting a Saturday afternoon going to sit and watch this shit”. You just know you’ll be sitting watching Gioball with the horseshoe shit passing from side to side.

Last edited:
2 points off the pace in the league despite an extremely tough schedule of games.

Qualification for the CL against a very good PSV side and a Belgian side who finished second last year.

The game at the piggery was terrible and I have said all along that if we ended the first quarter worse than the 5 points we were tracking at, I would have said he’s a dead man walking as there would have been no wiggle room.

The domestic performances have not been brilliant but within them, we have won 3 of them 4-0 and only lost at parkhead.

There is a lunatic fringe on here that are demanding he is sacked, they will demand the next manager is sacked and so on.

The bottom line is, he doesn’t deserve to be sacked. The suggestion the players are not playing for him is also bollocks

While GVB is probably the most boring Dutch manager I've ever seen in terms of style of play I think the problems run much deeper than just sacking him and everything is fine again.

Firstly the board would simply replace him with the cheapest option available at the time and expect that manager to turn things around with a few million to spend maximum.

Likely we'll lose Morelos and Kent in January for a pittance as well as I can't see this board not grasping for every single penny they can get which seems to be the only ambition at the club right now.

Till we get fresh ideas and investment at boardroom level nothing much will change.

I’ll nip this in the bud right now for you OP.

The board see him as the manager who got us to a European final and who got us to the champions league group stages for the first time in over a decade.

Rightly or wrongly for them it is as black and white as that.

GVB is here until at the very least the end of this season. If we don’t win the league of course then questions will be asked but I don’t necessarily think it will mean he’s sacked, especially if he wins a domestic cup.

So short term, whether we like it or not, he’s the Rangers manager and that is NOT going to change anytime soon. And that’s a fact.

I thought the loonies might've been having a lie in this morning after last night's "humiliating, embarrassing, worst performance ever" when we lost 2-0 to last year's Champions League runners up. But no, fresh as daisies, our keyboard Peps are back with their laughable nonsense.

Good morning. Give me a shout when the lunatics have been locked back in their cells.

End of the season , unfortunately another major bloomer by Ross Wilson was to give an out of work manager with no great track record a 3.5 year deal.
It should have been 18 months.

You know the times up when it becomes a chore going to watch one of the most boring Rangers teams in memory.

Home against utter dross and we play 2 defensive midfielders and take about 15 passes to get it out of midfield.
Away against any team it’s Operation Keep The Zero, whilst any attempt at looking like a football team goes out the window.

How many times last night did we fail to make a simple pass? How many times did we fail to even close to the opponent? How many times when it required real grit and effort did our players just jog about. It doesn’t matter who the opponent is, at least make an effort and get the basics right ffs.

Finished with Gio a long time ago, he’s taken all the goodness of going to see our team away which is some fucking feat. Even Pedro and Murty never had me thinking “is it even worth wasting a Saturday afternoon going to sit and watch this shit”. You just know you’ll be sitting watching Gioball with the horseshoe shit passing from side to side.
Don't go then.Nobody will miss you.Coward.

I should have added this at end of original post, don’t get me wrong nothing would please me more for Gio to turn it around and start dominating domestically but I just can’t see it, the past year he’s been in charge has in my eyes seen us going from dominating teams to now panicking about going to Easter road and tynecastle.

2 points off the pace in the league despite an extremely tough schedule of games.

Qualification for the CL against a very good PSV side and a Belgian side who finished second last year.

The game at the piggery was terrible and I have said all along that if we ended the first quarter worse than the 5 points we were tracking at, I would have said he’s a dead man walking as there would have been no wiggle room.

The domestic performances have not been brilliant but within them, we have won 3 of them 4-0 and only lost at parkhead.

There is a lunatic fringe on here that are demanding he is sacked, they will demand the next manager is sacked and so on.

The bottom line is, he doesn’t deserve to be sacked. The suggestion the players are not playing for him is also bollocks

I know for a bona fide fact that the players absolutely love him.

I should have added this at end of original post, don’t get me wrong nothing would please me more for Gio to turn it around and start dominating domestically but I just can’t see it, the past year he’s been in charge has in my eyes seen us going from dominating teams to now panicking about going to Easter road and tynecastle.

But we've made a better start to this season than last season so why would anyone within the club want to sack him?

There's already a very sizeable percentage who want him gone, he isn't going to recover from that and win them over.

World Cup would be perfect time to do it and if we finish bottom with 0 points and fall further behind in the league, will be what likely happens IMO. Won't happen before that.

I’ll nip this in the bud right now for you OP.

The board see him as the manager who got us to a European final and who got us to the champions league group stages for the first time in over a decade.

Rightly or wrongly for them it is as black and white as that.

GVB is here until at the very least the end of this season. If we don’t win the league of course then questions will be asked but I don’t necessarily think it will mean he’s sacked, especially if he wins a domestic cup.

So short term, whether we like it or not, he’s the Rangers manager and that is NOT going to change anytime soon. And that’s a fact.
Thats dangerous , sticking by one man and not the fans .
For me its the end of the season, and look at everything.
Theres no point giving him money if he s off early part of 23/24 .

Back