Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

He had a must win game at Ibrox against them last season and everyone involved failed to turn up after taking an early lead.
Theres people on here already counting 6 points guranteed from our 2 home games against us.

Its more likely they'll be the ones taking 3 points in both games , unless the penny drops with our management and players and we improve.

Away ties being first doesn't mean you play utter mince and hope you turn it round at home. It doesn't excuse the liverpool and ajax showings either.

As I said, straight out of the yahoo blogger mindset. Next, you’ll be telling us they did better in Europe last season…

It’s a two-legged tie. Braga wasn’t a great performance but Dortmund, Belgrade + Leipzig were excellent.

As I said, straight out of the yahoo blogger mindset. Next, you’ll be telling us they did better in Europe last season…

It’s a two-legged tie. Braga wasn’t a great performance but Dortmund, Belgrade + Leipzig were excellent.

The Yahoo Blogger Mindset is people refusing to apply context to Gerrard's first couple of seasons in charge given what he inherited v what Gio inherited and blurting nonsense about 1 trophy in 9 without applying any context.

The bottom line is Gio had an open goal with the league last season and he fluffed his lines. He bought himself time by doing amazing in Europe.

We are into the next phase of his career with us now though and there are not many positive signs he has worked out how to beat Celtic and navigate away games in Scotland consistently. Add in the fact we are god awful to watch 9/10 and that is why a lot of people are concerned at the moment.

The Yahoo Blogger Mindset is people refusing to apply context to Gerrard's first couple of seasons in charge given what he inherited v what Gio inherited and blurting nonsense about 1 trophy in 9 without applying any context.

The bottom line is Gio had an open goal with the league last season and he fluffed his lines. He bought himself time by doing amazing in Europe.

We are into the next phase of his career with us now though and there are not many positive signs he has worked out how to beat Celtic and navigate away games in Scotland consistently. Add in the fact we are god awful to watch 9/10 and that is why a lot of people are concerned at the moment.
Next phase of his career? 6 month later. Ok then shitbreak. B-)

You can't give Gio all the credit in the world for the Europa League Run but then ignore him throwing away the league. It's the most insane argument ever.

That is a bit of a red herring.

Gerrard had 30 points from his 13 games last season or 2.31 points per game.

GvB got 59 points from his 25 games, which was 2.36 points per game,

so how can a manager who accumulated on average more points than his predecessor throw away a league ?

Incidentally had Gerrard averaged GvB’s points per game in his first season we would have won the league in 18/19.

GvB’s starting point was Hibs 3 up at Hampden after about half an hour. That is where we were as a Club. Humiliated at Hampden.

In Europe 2 wins out of our last 10 matches, out of the CL in the first qualifier.

Domestically lost at Tannadice,
drew at home to Motherwell
Beat Dundee away 1-0 but McLaughlin saved a penalty.
Were 1 nil down to Hibs at Ibrox till they got a man sent off in 30 mins and struggled to a 2-1 win.
Lost an injury time equaliser at home to Hearts
Drew 2-2 with Aberdeen at Ibrox.

That is your league thrown away right there 6 points dropped at home to Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen. No team is winning a league winning only 4/7 ( 57% ) of their home games.

Let’s not pretend we were something we weren’t at the start of last season. We were in disarray a manager who wanted out, players who knew it and spent more time in Sanctuary than training because Gerrard was down south more than up here.

Had anyone said to you that day leaving Hampden we’d get to the Europa League final and win the Scottish Cup particularly with the subsequent injuries we had, you’d have laughed at them.

Next phase of his career? 6 month later. Ok then shitbreak. B-)

Absolutely.

He inherited the league winners (with a 4 point lead), failed in the league and done well in Europe.

This summer we seen a few players leave and he signed a number of his own players. That's what a next phase is, is it not?

Yet we don't seem to be moving forward. We don't look as fit as last season with a number of our key players going backwards at an alarming rate, and most of our new signings not making much of an impact either.

The Yahoo Blogger Mindset is to diminish everything we do whilst elevating what they do - thus, for example, our European run is reduced while their ‘have a go’ heroes are somehow elevated, despite the actual results.

I argued against Gerrard’s sacking and I’ll do likewise with Gio.

It might also be worth offering context - a season when games were abruptly stopped and we had the reintroduction of 5 subs, at the promptings of one club. Rearranged games meant we went to Pittodrie & Parkhead missing significant players, for example.

Of course there have been errors and there are concerns. But I do wonder what era people grew up watching Rangers when they think the current circumstances warrant the sacking of a manager.

Remember a list was posted on here manager s out of contract and was encouraged by names
a couple of names mentioned recently sound good
ex leeds manager
last time my choice was Guttuso or Frank de boar

i just don't trust Ross Wilson to pick correct manager if Gio move s on
Made a pig's ear of the Crystal Palace job.

Absolutely.

He inherited the league winners (with a 4 point lead), failed in the league and done well in Europe.

This summer we seen a few players leave and he signed a number of his own players. That's what a next phase is, is it not?

Yet we don't seem to be moving forward. We don't look as fit as last season with a number of our key players going backwards at an alarming rate, and most of our new signings not making much of an impact either.
Yet he got a higher points average in said league season?

What players has he signed that you categorically can state are his?

Is going backwards maybe due to the stale squad and it's mentality they're 5 years on from Gerrard now.

That is a bit of a red herring.

Gerrard had 30 points from his 13 games last season or 2.31 points per game.

GvB got 59 points from his 25 games, which was 2.36 points per game,

so how can a manager who accumulated on average more points than his predecessor throw away a league ?

Incidentally had Gerrard averaged GvB’s points per game in his first season we would have won the league in 18/19.

GvB’s starting point was Hibs 3 up at Hampden after about half an hour. That is where we were as a Club. Humiliated at Hampden.

In Europe 2 wins out of our last 10 matches, out of the CL in the first qualifier.

Domestically lost at Tannadice,
drew at home to Motherwell
Beat Dundee away 1-0 but McLaughlin saved a penalty.
Were 1 nil down to Hibs at Ibrox till they got a man sent off in 30 mins and struggled to a 2-1 win.
Lost an injury time equaliser at home to Hearts
Drew 2-2 with Aberdeen at Ibrox.

That is your league thrown away right there 6 points dropped at home to Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen. No team is winning a league winning only 4/7 ( 57% ) of their home games.

Let’s not pretend we were something we weren’t at the start of last season. We were in disarray a manager who wanted out, players who knew it and spent more time in Sanctuary than training because Gerrard was down south more than up here.

Had anyone said to you that day leaving Hampden we’d get to the Europa League final and win the Scottish Cup particularly with the subsequent injuries we had, you’d have laughed at them.

I don't like giving them any praise but the winning run they went on from about January onwards was impressive and we couldn't keep up. Europe may have been a big factor in that as, and as Celtic are seeing at the moment, to properly compete midweek and at the weekend brings injuries to important players. Something they didn't have to worry about last season.

In saying all that I do wonder, if Gerrard had stayed, if he would have kept up with them in the league from the winter break onwards.

At Xmas I’m sure , can’t mind what it was when gio took over

Was 6 mate. 4 points that increased to 6 when they drew at St Mirren. Reduced to 4 again when we drew at Pittodrie.

Reduced to 2 when we drew at Dingwall and they went top in the Feb game at Parkhead.

I don't like giving them any praise but the winning run they went on from about January onwards was impressive and we couldn't keep up. Europe may have been a big factor in that as, and as Celtic are seeing at the moment, to properly compete midweek and at the weekend brings injuries to important players. Something they didn't have to worry about last season.

In saying all that I do wonder, if Gerrard had stayed, if he would have kept up with them in the league from the winter break onwards.

Had we not had the European run we would’ve won the league. No doubt about it.

They were out of Europe in the February. They weren’t playing back to back high intensity matches against top level European teams.

We didn’t have the squad to cope with the injuries we had. We lost to them 4 days before the quarter final of the Europa League.

We put them out the Scottish Cup, they had nothing to play for.

We drew with them at the piggery a game sandwiched in between the Europa League semi finals against Leipzig.

However even with all of that they won the league based on a catalogue of decisions that were given in their favour and against us by corrupt, not incompetent, match officials.

Absolutely.

People like you forget the influence that the refereeing fraternity had during the season. I'm not going to dig out the list (I'm sure Eidwerd has got it bookmarked)

How do you gauge the fitness of the players? They all look pretty fit to me but I await your learned appraisal.

It was a 8 point lead

We beat St Mirren tomorrow and we'll be 3 points better off in the league, compared to the same stage with Gerrard last season.

Gio has also beaten 2 very good teams, to qualify for the CL group stages, whereas Gerrard lost to Malmo, scraped past 10 man Alashkert and then got beaten by Lyon, embarrassed by Sparta and drew with Brondby.

Anyone who thinks we were better off at this stage last season, is living in his own strange wee planet.

We picked up 4 points against Brondby and arrested the slide. The idea that GVB pulled a win out of his arse in the Sparta game, the kind that would have been completely unfeasible under Gerrard, is just nonsense. Lyon was then a dead rubber. "Heading into the Conference League." Lol.

We got pumped 3-1 by Hibs because we had a school teacher in charge and the club was still in shock at what had transpired with Gerrard's leaving.
He didn’t pull it out his arse. But the idea it was a shoe in Gerrard would have won by the 2 goals needed is pie in the sky. He didn’t take over some world beating side. Revisionism of the highest order from some.

He didn’t pull it out his arse. But the idea it was a shoe in Gerrard would have won by the 2 goals needed is pie in the sky. He didn’t take over some world beating side. Revisionism of the highest order from some.

He had two days on the training ground with him them before the game. Sparta folded at Ibrox.

We beat St Mirren tomorrow and we'll be 3 points better off in the league, compared to the same stage with Gerrard last season.

Gio has also beaten 2 very good teams, to qualify for the CL group stages, whereas Gerrard lost to Malmo, scraped past 10 man Alashkert and then got beaten by Lyon, embarrassed by Sparta and drew with Brondby.

Anyone who thinks we were better off at this stage last season, is living in his own strange wee planet.

After the defeat to Sparta Prague, we had Gerrard mentioning about the lack of funding & money required to compete in Europe.

"To compete with the teams we are playing against, we have to spend big money. In the last two windows we haven't spent a penny. So there has to be some realism there as well. To compete with these teams and beat these teams on their own patch, when transfer windows are open we have to spend money to compete at this level, not to win, just to compete."

Two different European competitions two years in a row where the manager at the time complained about the difference in money required for the team to compete and for one of them it’s used as a stick to beat them with but for the other it’s not (or wasn’t) seen as being as negative as it was following the defeat to Ajax.

After the defeat to Sparta Prague, we had Gerrard mentioning about the lack of funding & money required to compete in Europe.

"To compete with the teams we are playing against, we have to spend big money. In the last two windows we haven't spent a penny. So there has to be some realism there as well. To compete with these teams and beat these teams on their own patch, when transfer windows are open we have to spend money to compete at this level, not to win, just to compete."

Two different European competitions two years in a row where the manager at the time complained about the difference in money required for the team to compete and for one of them it’s used as a stick to beat them with but for the other it’s not (or wasn’t) seen as being as negative as it was following the defeat to Ajax.

Gerrard's moaning came after getting beaten by a very ordinary 10 man Malmo team at Ibrox.

Gio disposed of Union and PSV and has come unstuck against Ajax and Liverpool away.
However we competed very well 11v 11 at home to Napoli and certainly gave them a far better game than either Ajax or Liverpool did.

Very slight difference in the opposition quality both managers have faced.

Not as much as I laughed at the rest of your post.

Were the team really out clubbing because SG was down South all the time?
Lolz

Stevie G should be left out of any discussion regarding Gio it's irrelevant.

The same extreme intolerance has been dished out to both and the extreme entitlement stance is woven into the fabric of our support-it is what it is.

This means people cannot differentiate poor form in the league and poor performances in the CL or a decent one that fell apart. We lost get the pitchforks.

Paradoxically to be fair nearly all of our support don't seem capable of understanding that despite beating Hearts 4-0 Gio didn't do anything radically different-the tactics worked because we won but the football was direct and counter attacking until they went down to 10.
If results are all that matter people shouldn't moan about how.

Ultimately he's been underachieving in the league with a style of football that isn't popular and seems to rely on a theory we don't need to totally control games which to me hasn't been successful really since he took over.

Having said that it did look at the end of last season we were doing better overall whether it was a hybrid of his style versus the old style or if the players were just utilising it better.
Who knows? In general terms it's went back the way this season.

Still the squad should be challenging for the title and technically are-we are one away game to them down. Which in theory should get us the chance to level things up.

The Board bar a total collapse will gauge his performance in a way we can't-they will understand the detail of signings and internal detail of how he manages the squad ; we can't see that detail. They won't be able to save a manager though who has totally lost the support.

The good news for Gio is he just needs to be winning because ultimately the detail doesn't matter...the same guys screaming his time is up will be delighted if he stays in contention and beats the Tims next time around. However he manages even though they want a 1-2-7 formation.

For my money the much bigger worry is we don't really seem to have a plan in the style of football or the squad we should be building. And we should actually be more focused on that rather than we can win what might become a scrappy dogfight with Celtic.

Don’t think it’s luck that’s given us 19/21 in the non old firm. It could have been 21/21 if it had not been for the cheat Willie collum.

Are we performing really well? Certainly not. Can we play like we have and continue to win 85% of the non old firm games? Probably not.
19/21 in the non old firm? What on earth does that mean? Are we not counting old firm games in the title race now?

We are two points off the top - therefore performances HAVE led to results. A league campaign is about picking up as many points as you can over a season.

And as for being lucky, well, it's not GvB's fault Celtic got "cocky". His job is to put out a team to win games and take advantage if others drop points - which he did.

This mindset that we are somehow the benefactors of LUCK to be in the title race is a false narrative - and again, one being shaped by the media fawning over "Angeball"- after all, how can anybody compete with such glorious football?
No, we are lucky that we’ve not been punished more for our screw ups.

We are two points off the top - therefore performances HAVE led to results. A league campaign is about picking up as many points as you can over a season.

And as for being lucky, well, it's not GvB's fault Celtic got "cocky". His job is to put out a team to win games and take advantage if others drop points - which he did.

This mindset that we are somehow the benefactors of LUCK to be in the title race is a false narrative - and again, one being shaped by the media fawning over "Angeball"- after all, how can anybody compete with such glorious football?
I’m not interested in Angeball.

I’m interested in a manager who has lost 15 points away from home this calendar year.

Going forwards from what we have seen so for far..
Can you see us winning the majority of old firm games with Gio in charge?

And would you agree these games are essential to winning the title?

I think no to the first question and yes to the latter. Thats why I think we are potentiality wasting our time with Gio and his team

Mate it doesn’t matter what any of us can “see”. I don’t really have the confidence in Gio at all and would agree with you; but the guy has got to fail before you can get rid of him. You can’t sack a guy based off predictions ffs.

The 6 points we lost to them between Parkhead and Ibrox wasn’t impressive. On both occasions we were rank rotten. We scored after a few minutes at Ibrox then collapsed.

We have continually dropped points away from home throughout 2022.

Aberdeen
Ross County
Dundee United
Celtic x 2
Hibs

That’s not bad luck, that bad form.
Celtic x3, we deserved pumped both times and should have beat them the game we drew.
Aberdeen - horrendous performance
Dundee utd - should have won
Ross county - Allan McGregor chucks in two goals
Hibs - Collum cheat

The problem with the above is it’s a PATTERN. Even the games we should have won we didn’t. That’s the worry.

Stevie G should be left out of any discussion regarding Gio it's irrelevant.

The same extreme intolerance has been dished out to both and the extreme entitlement stance is woven into the fabric of our support-it is what it is.

This means people cannot differentiate poor form in the league and poor performances in the CL or a decent one that fell apart. We lost get the pitchforks.

Paradoxically to be fair nearly all of our support don't seem capable of understanding that despite beating Hearts 4-0 Gio didn't do anything radically different-the tactics worked because we won but the football was direct and counter attacking until they went down to 10.
If results are all that matter people shouldn't moan about how.

Ultimately he's been underachieving in the league with a style of football that isn't popular and seems to rely on a theory we don't need to totally control games which to me hasn't been successful really since he took over.

Having said that it did look at the end of last season we were doing better overall whether it was a hybrid of his style versus the old style or if the players were just utilising it better.
Who knows? In general terms it's went back the way this season.

Still the squad should be challenging for the title and technically are-we are one away game to them down. Which in theory should get us the chance to level things up.

The Board bar a total collapse will gauge his performance in a way we can't-they will understand the detail of signings and internal detail of how he manages the squad ; we can't see that detail. They won't be able to save a manager though who has totally lost the support.

The good news for Gio is he just needs to be winning because ultimately the detail doesn't matter...the same guys screaming his time is up will be delighted if he stays in contention and beats the Tims next time around. However he manages even though they want a 1-2-7 formation.

For my money the much bigger worry is we don't really seem to have a plan in the style of football or the squad we should be building. And we should actually be more focused on that rather than we can win what might become a scrappy dogfight with Celtic.
Last paragraph is where it’s at.

I’m unsure as to the direction we’re going tactility as the players brought in (Lawrence aside) don’t appear to fit Gio’s game plan.

Might sound daft, be we have too many top third players and no midfield influence.

They may be very good players in their own right but they’re ineffectual if no one is feeding them the ball at the right time.

Last edited:
I’ve checked out with him, his presser today where he effectively says we can’t expect to win our champions league games….just sums up his teams abject performances!! Limp, timid and tame…..you wouldn’t follow him up over the top that’s for sure!!!

TBH the rotten performances against the scum have done the most to make me lose confidence in Gio.

Going to Parkhead last season, Amad Diallo out wide, sitting back and trying to keep the zero and watching a hiding where we never laid a glove. I thought that would never happen again under GvB. Roll on the following season, replace Diallo with Malik Tillman and watch the same utter shite unfold again. Mental.

It’s more than just the Old Firm matches that get me. However, we’ve a great opportunity to take 21/21 before the World Cup break and it’s about time we found some form.

We have continually dropped points away from home throughout 2022.

Aberdeen
Ross County
Dundee United
Celtic x 2
Hibs

That’s not bad luck, that bad form.
You like to have it all ways.
You haven't answered the question.
Edit.Here is the question again.

By sheer dumb luck( your words)

Does that mean that septic are lucky that we are not joint top because we got reduced to 9 men vs Hibs.That was lucky for them.

You like to have it all ways.
You haven't answered the question.
Edit.Here is the question again.

By sheer dumb luck( your words)

Does that mean that septic are lucky that we are not joint top because we got reduced to 9 men vs Hibs.That was lucky for them.
I’m not a Celtic fan mate.

I’m a rangers supporter. I look at things through a critical eye. I don’t care about evening up luck. I want us to take the bins out against teams we should be. If we don’t, they we are the ones who need the luck and get back into the title race every time we screw up, which you can see from the list of crap results I posted isn’t just a one off, but a fundamental issue.

If we finish second in the league this season, I’m not going to blame bad luck by going down to 9 men v hibs. The way I see it, we need to assume Celtic are going to do what they’ve done for the last calendar year and do the business in most games. If we continually drop points and can’t even draw level after they lose at Love St 8 games in, then we are relying on luck and things going our way in games we aren’t involved in, it’s that simple.

Back