Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Mate, as you are alluding too, this whole GvB out nonsense is simply because Celtic pumped us in the first Old firm. For some, beating them is everything, regardless of what it leads to.
Actually if VAR was in place they would have been pulled up for their first 2 goals

Don't agree mate.

We've taken a huge leap under Gio, with our European performances and we were in freefall under Gerrard last season.

No chance we would've got out of our Europa group, after an embarrassing exit in the CL.

Gio managed to take the same group of players that had lost at home to 10 man Malmo, and go to Dortmund and pish all over Borrusia.

We also started the league last season worse than this season and only the abysmal early season form of celtic masked Gerrard's major shortcomings in the league.
Had celtic started the league the way they finished it, then it would've been over by the end of October.

As for Gio's "handful" of European wins, well defeating Sparta, Dortmund, Red Star, Braga, RB Leipzig, took us to a European final, against all the odds.
This season, beating 2 very good teams, in Union and PSV, has got us into the CL group stages and the money that comes with it.

I'll be eternally grateful to Gerrard for winning 55.

However, let's not forget the constant run of cup defeats against lesser sides.

Giio took us to a European final and the Scottish Cup in his first season.
He's got us into the CL group stages, despite a mammoth injury list.
No chance a Gerrard side lose twice at the piggery in the manner we did , we were hard to beat and very well organised , gio has had some excellent performances mainly in Europe so he clearly has something in his locker but I just don’t enjoy watching us under gio I don’t see a clear plan or identity but like I said he’s been shafted by the signings he was given ,

As long as he keeps winning domestically he will be the manager. 4-0 away to hearts, and 4-0 against 3rd in the table St Mirren who beat the scum last week.

Hopefully that’s us turning a bit of a corner domestically. Some really fast play and direct passing today.

I get people having opinions on tactics and players picked but some are only on here posting when we have a poor result.
They always seem to have the most to say then but when we win hardly post or give credit to the manager.
You'd think we were 10 points behind and awful with these constant negative threads on the manager.

I get people having opinions on tactics and players picked but some are only on here posting when we have a poor result.
They always seem to have the most to say then but when we win hardly post or give credit to the manager.
You'd think we were 10 points behind and awful with these constant negative threads on the manager.
You also have to remember we have those pesky timposters polluting the board.

the noisy minority are best ignored

So we would have had no chance of winning the league last season if gerrard stayed ?? I disagree .
Dropped points to Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United and 2 defeats In our Europa league group.

The wheels were coming off while the scum were picking up momentum and Gerrard had never proved he could sustain a title challenge when it was neck and neck throughout the season. Also his cup record was pathetic so no Scottish cup.

Dropped points to Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United and 2 defeats In our Europa league group.

The wheels were coming off while the scum were picking up momentum and Gerrard had never proved he could sustain a title challenge when it was neck and neck throughout the season. Also his cup record was pathetic so no Scottish cup.
Like i said in a previous post it wasn’t great he looked pissed off from the start of the season probably due to our transfer dealings a few players looked like they couldn’t be arsed aswell (a bit like this season) I don’t think we would of only took 1 point from the rattlers though out the remaining 9 points , fwiw I also don’t think he would of got us to a European final but it was gerrard that started getting us decent results in Europe , we went toe to toe with benfica and we’re very unfortunate not to win both games not to mention porto villareal etc , I would chase wilson before gio he deserved to be given better players same as gerrard did aswell,

As long as he keeps winning domestically he will be the manager. 4-0 away to hearts, and 4-0 against 3rd in the table St Mirren who beat the scum last week.

Hopefully that’s us turning a bit of a corner domestically. Some really fast play and direct passing today.
We've looked a lot better offensively these last couple of league games. That international break really seems to have give us a much needed rest and boost.

Only the defeat to Celtic and Morelos red card are this season though. Last season is gone.
And lets be absolutely fair here - if it wasn't for Willie Collum, we wouldn't have dropped points at Hibs - and you simply cannot blame the manager for Morelos's red car either.

The defeat to Celtic was painful, and the manager and players need to take that one and do better.

Yet, despite these 'screw ups', here we are, still very much in a title race.
Last season still happened, and is the main body of evidence we have to use to base any future predictions of how Gio will fare this season. After all, he gets the credit for the European run and the cup win.

I’m not blaming the manager for the Hibs result, or the Morelos red card. Incidents happen that change games. We should’ve been out of sight at Easter road before any of that nonsense happened, the same as how we should’ve put several of the games last season to bed that we dropped points in. That’s the trend right there, and why it’s important to note it.

Of course we’re still in the title race, nobodies saying we aren’t, but we’ll need to see a dramatic change in our consistency levels across a period of months to have something to show come May.

No chance a Gerrard side lose twice at the piggery in the manner we did , we were hard to beat and very well organised , gio has had some excellent performances mainly in Europe so he clearly has something in his locker but I just don’t enjoy watching us under gio I don’t see a clear plan or identity but like I said he’s been shafted by the signings he was given ,

I enjoyed being at Tynecastle last week and winning 4-0 much more than when Gerrard lost there in the Scottish Cup and League, within a few weeks of each other.

This narrative that Gerrard's domestic form was better than Gio's is a complete myth.

Last edited:
Last season still happened, and is the main body of evidence we have to use to base any future predictions of how Gio will fare this season. After all, he gets the credit for the European run and the cup win.

I’m not blaming the manager for the Hibs result, or the Morelos red card. Incidents happen that change games. We should’ve been out of sight at Easter road before any of that nonsense happened, the same as how we should’ve put several of the games last season to bed that we dropped points in. That’s the trend right there, and why it’s important to note it.

Of course we’re still in the title race, nobodies saying we aren’t, but we’ll need to see a dramatic change in our consistency levels across a period of months to have something to show come May.
A dramatic change in consistency?
If we discount Hibs, which we should due to Collum, the only game we havent taken maximum points in this season is Celtic!

"Should've been out of sight" a saying that really holds no merit as outwith maybe Man City there arent any teams that convert every chance they create. Its just not how football works.

So just basing your view on last season? Because you think he 'cost us' the league? And can't get past it?

We've looked a lot better offensively these last couple of league games. That international break really seems to have give us a much needed rest and boost.
We need better from him against the bigger teams

The Cl and scum performances aren't good enough. We are good enough to beat them, and we should at least be trying in the CL
Thats the conundrum.

Credit to him for improving the recent domestic games but hes fluffed his lines in the biggest games of all so far this season and done it badly.

I tried to make a point this week that a big win vs St Mirren wouldnt change anything and it was somewhat misconstrued as not being happy with anything. I simply meant Gio has dug himself a very deep hole and getting up and out of it is a different story from getting a foothold to try.

My feeling has been a Summer departure would be best for both him and Rangers, unless there is a massive turn around in fortunes both domestically and in Europe I still think thats the case.

No sacking or bad feeling situation just a thanks and best of luck goodbye.

If he was to turn it around to an exceptional degree then of course he justifies and merits staying and being backed strongly by the Board to rebuild the Team come the Summer.

He has to start beating them or he won't survive
This is the nub of it.

I assess the balance sheet as follows.

Gio came in mid-season and steadied the ship. Rangers had been losing the first goal in a lot of games under Gerrard, but the first thing Gio did was locked the back door.

Over the league season, Gio did as well as Gerrard, despite having to work with his players. There was no “collapse”, as many claimed. Rangers’ league form over the season was similar under Gerrard and Gio.

Gio won the first cup he competed for, Rangers’ first Scottish Cup in over a decade. Gerrard had six attempts at domestic cups and never won one. Gio = 1/1, Gerrard = 0/6.

Gio took Rangers to the Europa League Final, and the closest Rangers have been to European glory since 1972. Nobody seriously claims Gerrard would have accomplished that, despite his phenomenal record in re-establishing Rangers as a force in Europe.

Gerrard won one league title over 3 seasons. Gio is in his first full season. So the jury’s out on that one.

But - Gio’s record v Celtic. Last season, 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses. It doesn’t sound so bad as a bare stat. But it was the manner of the loss at Parkhead, and then losing from a goal up in what turned out to be the league decider at Ibrox. And now, this season, an even heavier defeat at Parkhead. If Rangers had won that one, nobody would be calling for Gio to go. That’s the importance of the head-to-heads v Celtic.

Even if Rangers win the league this season, many Rangers fans will want Gio to go if his record v Celtic doesn’t improve. And that’s an end-of-season scenario I can see happening.

in the 55 season we went into OF games expecting to win, the players expected to win

now the tables have completely turned and Celtic expect to win

we HAVE to change that mentality

This is the nub of it.

Gio came in mid-season and steadied the ship. Rangers had been losing the first goal in a lot of games under Gerrard, but the first thing Gio did was locked the back door.

Over the league season, Gio did as well as Gerrard, despite having to work with his players. There was no “collapse”, as many claimed. Rangers’ league form over the season was similar under Gerrard and Gio.

Gio won the first cup he competed for, Rangers’ first Scottish Cup in over a decade. Gerrard had six attempts at domestic cups and never won one. Gio = 1/1, Gerrard = 0/6.

Gio took Rangers to the Europa League Final, and the closest Rangers have been to European glory since 1972. Nobody seriously claims Gerrard would have accomplished that, despite his phenomenal record in re-establishing Rangers as a force in Europe.

Gerrard won one league title over 3 seasons. Gio is in his first full season. So the jury’s out on that one.

But - Gio’s record v Celtic. Last season, 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses. It doesn’t sound so bad as a bare stat. But it was the manner of the loss at Parkhead, and then losing from a goal up in what turned out to be the league decider at Ibrox. And now, this season, an even heavier defeat at Parkhead. If Rangers had won that one, nobody would be calling for Gio to go. That’s the importance of the head-to-heads v Celtic.

Even if Rangers win the league this season, many Rangers fans will want Gio to go if his record v Celtic doesn’t improve. And that’s an end-of-season scenario I can see happening.
That's a very good assessment and it is his record vs them that leads me to question him Rangers managers must beat Celtic on a consistent basis the fact Gerrard owned them gave him a lot good will despite his poor cup record as he is they were destroying us the season before he arrived

in the 55 season we went into OF games expecting to win, the players expected to win

now the tables have completely turned and Celtic expect to win

we HAVE to change that mentality
Under Gerrard every game vs them I thought we'd win regardless of where it was he owned them 8 wins 3 defeats 2 draws an amazing record considering the results prior to him taking him over

But its not that simple. Because as it stands now, and as it stood before they lost at Love st, we weren't relying on luck, as all we had to do is win our games. If we win our games, which you seem to believe is our right, then we win the league.

But league seasons very, very rarely work out like that. We drop points, they drop points. Injuries, suspensions, refereeing errors, games being cancelled, busy schedules all need to be taken in to account over the course of a league season.

You can't go around sacking a manager after 8 games because he's two points off the top of the league. That's insane.
It's a source of pride for me that as a club we have stood by our managers and have had very few across our whole history. Sacking a manager in this position goes completely against that and if this was a Chelsea or Man United we would be saying it's a disgraceful way to treat a manager.

I'm not entirely convinced of Gio btw but there is absolutely no way we should be sacking the manager that took us to the CL while being only 2 points behind.

Thats the conundrum.

Credit to him for improving the recent domestic games but hes fluffed his lines in the biggest games of all so far this season and done it badly.

I tried to make a point this week that a big win vs St Mirren wouldnt change anything and it was somewhat misconstrued as not being happy with anything. I simply meant Gio has dug himself a very deep hole and getting up and out of it is a different story from getting a foothold to try.

My feeling has been a Summer departure would be best for both him and Rangers, unless there is a massive turn around in fortunes both domestically and in Europe I still think thats the case.

If he was to turn it around to an exceptional degree then of course he justifies and merits staying and being backed strongly by the Board to rebuild the Team come the Summer.
Where would you rank PSV in terms of big games this season?

This is the nub of it.

In truth I don’t think we’ll win the league if he isn’t able to beat Celtic. It’s not just the points in those games that matter, it’s the confidence and momentum they tend to generate.

It’s funny. I was thinking back to Souness’s first season where he made a pretty awful start all things considered, losing five times in the league before the end of November, the sort of form that would otherwise see him hounded now, but he saved himself in the eyes of the support by managing to beat Celtic, firstly in the league and then to lift the League Cup.

Gerrard bought himself time with the Rangers support due to a similar ability, beating them twice in his first season and despite losing the opening OF clash the following year did bounce back to beat them at Parkhead.

These are huge feats in the eyes of many in the Rangers support, but they’re having the effect on here of skewing the bigger picture and dismissing the very considerable achievements the manager has recorded to the point where it’s become personal for some in their absolute determination to be proved right and be able to say they told us so.

The bottom line is that the board will have no intention of sacking him whatsoever, and that’s as it should be.

Thats the conundrum.

It would save a lot of time if you just said, “ I don’t like the manager and I wish he would leave” instead of trying to justify yourself with a lot of shite

Gio will get the season unless there is a monumental collapse or fall out. He is still lacking big players in the squad who could make a big difference in key matches, roofe, Lawrence, hagi & of course young Lowry.

We are starting to see the benefits of a solid experienced left sided central defender in Davies and having McGregor back in goals. Also a fit Ryan Jack for me appears to be crucial in having the right midfield balance.

He needs to give Sakala a run of games on the right hand side now after yesterday as he is best of what we have there, possibly Lawrence or Roofe aside.

To me Gio is too cautious but has also been let down in transfer market. Too many project players and we haven’t addressed crucial parts on the team, gk, midfield and rw. But As with all Gers managers he will be judged on trophies & won’t last long if he doesn’t deliver the title.

Gio will get the season unless there is a monumental collapse or fall out. He is still lacking big players in the squad who could make a big difference in key matches, roofe, Lawrence, hagi & of course young Lowry.

We are starting to see the benefits of a solid experienced left sided central defender in Davies and having McGregor back in goals. Also a fit Ryan Jack for me appears to be crucial in having the right midfield balance.

He needs to give Sakala a run of games on the right hand side now after yesterday as he is best of what we have there, possibly Lawrence or Roofe aside.

To me Gio is too cautious but has also been let down in transfer market. Too many project players and we haven’t addressed crucial parts on the team, gk, midfield and rw. But As with all Gers managers he will be judged on trophies & won’t last long if he doesn’t deliver the title.
I agree with most of this but, “last long without a trophy” should be at least next season as well.
Or, at least the start of season three.
That’s what Gerrard got.

Thats the conundrum.

I think his biggest game so far this season was PSV away mate and he set us up perfectly that night.
It got us back into prestigious CL group football and the financial rewards that come along with it

Compare that to our biggest game of last season under Gerrard, when a very ordinary 10 men Malmo came to Ibrox and not only beat us, but totally outplayed us.

This is the nub of it.

A lot of this has been pointed out before, several times by various people.Ive done it myself.
It seems to fall on deaf ears.
There is a pathological aspect to this. No other teams supporters would want their manager sacked sitting in second place by a two point margin at this stage in a campaign.

I agree with most of this but, “last long without a trophy” should be at least next season as well.
Or, at least the start of season three.
That’s what Gerrard got.
Barring a massive slump in form and results, and / or more shoeings from the Beasts, I think the board will have every intention of giving him next season as well should he fail to win the league this year.

A lot of this has been pointed out before, several times by various people.Ive done it myself.
It seems to fall on deaf ears.
There is a pathological aspect to this. No other teams supporters would want their manager sacked sitting in second place by a two point margin at this stage in a campaign.
It's because we blew a 6 point lead last season and he's yet to beat them in the league including two humiliating defeats Rangers managers are always judged on games vs them

Quite simply, the biggest game we have had this season for the good of the club was the tie v PSV.

The piggery game was disgusting, but was worth 3pts of which there are many chances to claw back.

So that does not wash I'm afraid.

Thats the conundrum.

The biggest games of the season so far were the games against PSV - and the last time I looked we beat them and qualified for the Champions League group stages - so you're talking absolute nonsense.

A couple of results against Hearts and St Mirren doesn’t make me change my mind and want Gio to be in charge.

Likelihood is that we won’t be far away from another dismal performance and result such is his style of play and personnel/tactics.

Gerrard had a good record against Celtic but in his first 2 seasons as manager he played them 7 times with a record - LWLWLLW.

After those 2 seasons and 5 transfer windows he then had a record of WWDWW.

That's 3 seasons as manager and 7 transfer windows in total. Gio hasn't been in charge for even a year yet.
Worth also pointing out the state we were in though, we were never going to win the first game. Remember before Gerrard we were hoping it wasn't 5+ goals let In. We never let more than 2 goals in across gerrards whole tenure I believe, domestically.

Also one of those losses in your first part was a cup final where their goal game from having 3 players offside and we absolutely thrashed them in one of the most one sided old firms I've ever seen (the one Alfie missed a penalty and about 20 sitters.. if we had cokak we could have been looking st a 10-0 scoreline).

Gerrards record against them was remarkable even when we lost we didn't get battered and in some cases like above we actually battered them so convincingly that even though they were given the win through a dodgy decision, all of their fans knew they were battered.

Back