Old Boys of the Brigade

Was having a chat recently with a Holytown church elder. He said that the COS is looking at closing down a few parish churches and amalgamating them with others.
Holytown ,Chapelhall, and two others locally could shut and the congregations have to be bussed to bellshill I think it was he mentioned.
Due to falling numbers, the value of the actual buildings which could be sold to developers.

I turned away from religion in my teens, but up to then was 1st Chapelhall from anchor boys all the way through to senior section. sad to see the decline of the church, but suppose its just the modern world.

1st duntocher bb's, shame its no more, they were great times now looking back. Would have been 1990's, white church main street duntocher.

A friend sent this to me recently and I had never seen it before, some high up dude is talking to me about something I have no memory of. Centenary year at Ibrox and look at M.Kelly(yes that Rhat) skulking in the background, he was lord provost at the time. 277th Milton, great times.
BB-Ibrox.jpg

Had an email earlier from 1st Bearsden (former members) and they are having 125th anniversary events this May.

Well dont leave me hanging, where are you in the picy. There are a couple of boys I dont remember.
I think this was taken on the pitches at stobhill before a cup final against the 268. Think we won 3-2. Could be wrong though.
Can you remember what year this picture was? I was in the 200th company and always remember we had a good few games against the 277

CRACKER!, RECOGNISE MOST OF THOSE FACES,I MUST'VE,BEEN ON THE BENCH THAT WEEK...OR ON HOLIDAY !
I got a game cause ma da ran the team! The BB had a funny system where the age of the squad needed to total to a limit. It ment that a boy at 14 could be playing against a 15/16 year old. There are people in that picture a year below and a year above me at school. So maybe you missed out cause the age had been breached OR you wernt good enough :)

Last edited:
I was the * man, LOL!,I possibly stopped the year before to play with MILTON B.C.,although I know the bottom two on the far right I never played with them,I take it you're PM?,I was JC,always remember the "have a Duffy" catchphrase of the guys dad on you left,still don't know what that meant to this day!.

I was the * man, LOL!,I possibly stopped the year before to play with MILTON B.C.,although I know the bottom two on the far right I never played with them,I take it you're PM?,I was JC,always remember the "have a Duffy" catchphrase of the guys dad on you left,still don't know what that meant to this day!.
Yes I'm PM. Billy had some great patter but no idea what that would mean either. Bottom far right(you obviously know who he is) is a poster on here also if you look at post #578 on this page.

2nd Hamilton summer camp was in a field in Fife between Colinsburgh and Elie. First under age pint in Queens Hotel, Elie.

In the 1970s, the 44th Cardonald Parish Church had their summer camps in a field between Seahouses and Beadnell with one year, I recall, in the Isle of Wight. I think they might still go to Seahouses all these years later.

I’ll never forgive my best mate, Alastair Macleod, for not choosing me for his six-man tent! Great days.

Hi guys, seeing there is alot of old BB boys. I was wondering if anyone can help me. My grandfather was part of 9th Greenock out of St.Ninians Church. I was given this when he passed many years ago and i havent a clue if it was commemorative of maybe something more widely available.

It is hallmarked around 1912.
I also had an Old Boys Union badge from him but miss placed it.
If anyone has any info on this pic, i would be greatful

140914242_10158167180249387_6551228026316081844_n.jpg

31st Glasgow Boys Brigade when we used Penilee school for parade nights round about 1965
140914242_10158167180249387_6551228026316081844_n.jpg

Last edited:
41st Anderston, Glasgow BB had camps every year and alternated between Meigle, in Perthshire and Balmaha. Great days.

I really enjoyed my time in the BBs. Football, first aid and trips to interesting places. There was a bit of religion as well.

One of our memorable outings was to the Pavilion Theatre to see a panto with Rikki Fulton and Jack Milroy which must have been in the late 70s. Quite a few football jokes IIRC.
I remember going to see Oliver! with the BBs. Awesome in full colour when all you had at home was black and white tv with a coin meter in the back.
Mind you we thought Mark Lester, who was about our age, was a bit of a diddy.

Did you have one of these in the BB? To be honest I was more daunted facing it today than I was many moons ago in the 252 :D

247 Anniesland cross had one and was used most Friday nights. Not blue unfortunately and I can't remember setting it to different heights.
Jumping the box long ways was the biggest challenge .
Aways a part of the show on the BB Display night.

Last edited:
Was in Glasgow 216. We had a pipe band and lead a parade to Queens Park. I was the lead drummer but was a bit slow and the whole parade ambled very slowly. Good days. Highland Laddie!

Did you have one of these in the BB? To be honest I was more daunted facing it today than I was many moons ago in the 252 :D

Dreaded these getting pulled out on a Friday night. I was a big shitebag, loved my time in the BB though, some great memories

Queens Badge Loyal

Back