Old Boys of the Brigade

Still a huge Company mate and goes from strength to strength.

Used to have the 138th Company as well in the Mearns, it ran out of Mearnskirk.

Sadly it folded, not because of lack of numbers from the boys, as it was a big Company, but because of a shortage of officers to run it.

It's bad enough when a Company folds because of lack of boys, but it's tragic to hear of a thriving Company disappearing due to a lack of officers.
Same happened to the 6th EK.

Anybody else involved in “The B.B. Fanfare “ that ran for a week at The Metropole in around 1969 or “B.B.Drumbeat” at the Kelvin Hall a couple of years later?

Our Mad keen Captain, Ian McNichol, had us doing a sketch from The Sound of Music at the Fanfare, with yours truly playing Maria, Austrian maids Dress and blonde wig on belting out ”songs from the movie”.

Not a good look for an early teenage lad, I’m not sure I’ve fully recovered…

Last edited:
Boys Brigade launching a Commemorative Badge to celebrate the life and faithful service of HM Queen Elizabeth II

They are launching a Commemorative Badge to celebrate the life and faithful service of HM Queen Elizabeth II. It can be worn by children and young people on their armbands and can also be purchased by leaders and supporters. Find out more and pre-order at

Great thread.
Loved the BB as a kid, gave me my start in football as my primary school was too small to have a team.
BB was 17th Anderston Parish Glasgow

277 Milton had some great teams, remember the kit strangely being the green & black stripes which sellic wore away in Europe in the 60's/70's, must've been on sale in Lumley's!.

15th Glasgow. And a true story: Our captain, an otherwise wonderful man with a somewhat twisted sense of humour, equipped our football team in the green & white hoops of certain
team that languished somewhere in the East End. The rationale being that it always made for a tough game. Opposing BB teams arriving to play us would see our strip - the proverbial red cape to the bull - and we were often cuffed with a vengeance. I remember one game was 18-0! I can laugh now.

15th Glasgow. And a true story: Our captain, an otherwise wonderful man with a somewhat twisted sense of humour, equipped our football team in the green & white hoops of certain
team that languished somewhere in the East End. The rationale being that it always made for a tough game. Opposing BB teams arriving to play us would see our strip - the proverbial red cape to the bull - and we were often cuffed with a vengeance. I remember one game was 18-0! I can laugh now.
The 252 played in a Hibs strip :eek:

Made for interesting games up the Drum in the old school pitch with several hundred watching before the Girning Gates opened. :oops:

277 Milton had some great teams, remember the kit strangely being the green & black stripes which sellic wore away in Europe in the 60's/70's, must've been on sale in Lumley's!.
Remember .Just. a game against 277 must have been 1974. Half time 200 bb 0- 277 bb 5 . Full time 200th 6 277th 5. Scored a hatrick that day and the winner .Following week we were 5 -0 down at half time . Ended up losing 6-5. The good old days . Although not jumpers for goalposts. :D

http://www.glasgowstedfastassociation.org.uk/

Reading the latest issue of my parish newsletter I came across an article describing the Glasgow Stedfast Association which is an organisation for former members of the Boys Brigade.

The Stedfast Assocaition was formed so that ex-BB boys can continue to lend their support to the Brigade. I then did a search on the Internet and found some background on the Glasgow Assocaiton in the news section of the Glasgow Battalion website - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/news.asp

You can download a membership form here - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/Stedfast_Membership_Leaflet.pdf - membership costs just £10 a year.

Anyone got picture of the old BB displays/meetings at Ibrox?

100th Anniversary of The Life Boys.

0Evlq54.jpg
233 BB Meadowpark St 1969/72 and played for 109 BB Westercraigs.

Remember .Just. a game against 277 must have been 1974. Half time 200 bb 0- 277 bb 5 . Full time 200th 6 277th 5. Scored a hatrick that day and the winner .Following week we were 5 -0 down at half time . Ended up losing 6-5. The good old days . Although not jumpers for goalposts. :D
Ah must've got subbed at half time,LOL!,yeah I just missed your sublime skills by 3 years ha ha, I think it was around 77 I joined.

You can join the Glasgow Stedfast Association by sending a cheque for £12 to the Treasurer - Bill M Robertson, 35 Braemar Court, Hazelden Gardens, Muirend, G44 1HF. Cheques to be made payable to "The Glasgow Stedfast Association".

I was in Taper barbers on Mosspark Boulevard today for the first time and they have an old BB snare drum on display. Haven’t seen one for decades.

Last edited:

Made for interesting games up the Drum in the old school pitch with several hundred watching before the Girning Gates opened. :oops:
The 252nd. Must have changed strips because when I played for them it was claret and blue horizontal stripes.

1st Chryston 1973 to 1986
Same here, right through from Pre Junior Section (or whatever it may have been calling back in the day) to Officer, God only knows what years they were but I vividly remember going to the Albert Hall for the Centenary so I reckon from about 1975 ish to 1989-90

The 41st (Anderson Parish church) had a cracking purple strip. And when I moved to Pollokshaws the 9th had a yellow top with red and black diagonal sash.

I remember playing a team at knightswood sec l don't know what their number was. But they wore a Hibs top with red shorts. Probably 72/73.

Queens man at 7th Coatbridge but because of covid My two sons missed a lot of badge work. Been in it since they were 4 and now my oldest has a part time job and is going to struggle to make Friday nights and parades. Been my lifetime ambition to see their names beside my brother and my name on the queens board in the headquarters.

Loved the boys brigade. Started in the then young hopefuls, through junior and company sections, then as an officer for several years. Learned so much and made some lifelong friends too. Got my queens badge and proud of it to this day. 162 High Carntyne.

The 16th Battalion were heavily involved in the battle of the Frankfurt Trench where 130 men held out for eight days holding up the German advance - by the end only 15 of them were let alive and fit enough to walk out to surrender.

Sergeant George Lee was killed leading his men in the Frankfurt Trench - he is buried in Dartmoor Cemetery near the village of Becordel-Becourt beside his son - Corporal Robert Lee - who was killed in action on the same day.

Still a huge Company mate and goes from strength to strength.

Used to have the 138th Company as well in the Mearns, it ran out of Mearnskirk.

Sadly it folded, not because of lack of numbers from the boys, as it was a big Company, but because of a shortage of officers to run it.

It's bad enough when a Company folds because of lack of boys, but it's tragic to hear of a thriving Company disappearing due to a lack of officers.

In fairness to our Captain Stuart, he held the fort as long as he possibly could. Not many elders in the parish took much interest. It was a shame that we folded the year before 4 of us reached our Queen's (god rest her) but them's the breaks.

You can join the Glasgow Stedfast Association by sending a cheque for £12 to the Treasurer - Bill M Robertson, 35 Braemar Court, Hazelden Gardens, Muirend, G44 1HF. Cheques to be made payable to "The Glasgow Stedfast Association".

I would send £12 but I don't have a cheque book anymore.

15th glasgow-Scotland street school. I remember those strips and when i first joined i couldnt believe it.

Heard last night that John Neil, former Battalion Secretary and Brigade President died at the weekend.

He was also a good Bluenose and sometimes sat with my dad and me at Ibrox.

Back