Rangers Confirm Michael Beale As Manager

Disappointed in this lazy appointment from our chancer of a DOF, despite my liking for Beale as a coach and person. Have a bad feeling about this but considering I had good feelings about the last 2 appointments I hope he proves me wrong and has a hugely successful tenure.

Welcome back to the most successful club in the world Mr Beale and best of British to you!

Here's wishing you (& the club & us) every success MB
Hope you (& the club & us) enjoy every minute of your time here & our trophy room needs expanded
All the best & more mate - we are the people -
Let's Go

The quote from Douglas Park about the board supporting “Michael and Ross Wilson to make this appointment a success” implies that a budget to improve the squad has been agreed. It’s needed.

Don't know what it is but he just doesn't come across as a manager to me. No doubt, he's an excellent coach with vast knowledge of the game but I'm sceptical about his managerial credentials.

Will support him all the way and wish him well. The board must give him proper backing.

Been disabled for the Athletic unfortunately mate

Rangers return was always a no-brainer for Michael Beale – is he ready, and why now?​

This was the job Michael Beale considered a no-brainer. It was the one he always knew he would not be able to turn down. It was the dream he left Ibrox with upon his exit with Steven Gerrard a year ago but he had no way of knowing if, or when, it would come true.
One day. Well, that day is here, and it has come sooner than anyone would have anticipated.

Beale has left Queens Park Rangers of the English Championship after 22 games in charge to rejoin Rangers, but this time it is as their new manager rather than his previous job as first-team coach.
His appointment comes just over a year since he followed Gerrard out the door to take over at the Premier League’s Aston Villa.
After spending the three and a half seasons prior to that as the former Liverpool captain’s trusted lieutenant on the training pitches at Auchenhowie, he now joins the select group of 18 men to have been permanent manager of the Glasgow club.
He has already made an impression. Training was delayed until Monday afternoon so that Beale and his staff could meet the squad and take his first session.
They underwent conditioning and fitness assessments after two weeks off but Beale laid down his fundamentals. His message was that he wanted them to enjoy and dominate football matches again, be united as a group and most importantly win, but do so in style.
It has been an eventful week which saw Rangers being granted permission to speak to Beale by west London side QPR on Saturday.
The £1million release clause in his contract was triggered, which Wolverhampton Wanderers activated recently, and the 42-year-old Londoner was granted permission to speak to Rangers.
It may have cost more for his staff to be released too but a new contract that had been offered to Beale and which would have changed the dynamics of any potential deal was not finalised.
QPR’s director of football Les Ferdinand did not want to protract negotiations as the club’s first-team squad, who returned to training on Wednesday following a short break while the club season is on hold for the playing of the World Cupin Qatar, were looking for clarity with so much speculation the past two months. Their stance is that they only want people at the club who want to be there.
ADVERTISEMENT

Since the removal of Gerrard’s successor Giovanni van Bronckhorst last Monday, several names had been linked with the vacancy at Ibrox.
It is understood Francesco Farioli was one of those Rangers met. The 33-year-old Italian has built a reputation for playing imaginative football at Alanyaspor in Turkey after serving as now Brighton & Hove Albion manager Roberto De Zerbi’s goalkeeping coach at Serie A side Sassuolo for two years before moving into management. However, he is considered one to keep tabs on.
Instead, Rangers have entrusted Beale with the responsibility of restoring the club’s league dominance they had asserted 18 months ago.
But why Beale? Why now? And why Rangers, rather than the Premier League job at Wolves he rejected a month ago?
The last one is the question QPR fans will be asking themselves after he turned down top-flight football at Molineux after the sacking of Bruno Lage and reaffirmed his commitment to the second-division club, saying, “I have been all-in here and I have asked other people to be all-in, so I can’t be the first person to run away from the ship.”
It is not as big a volte-face as it may appear, though.
As an ambitious young manager, there are reasons why the Wolves job wasn’t perfect enough for him to leave his first managerial role less than six months in.
Rangers are a club ingrained in Beale’s heart, and he knows the place and the players inside out. Helping Gerrard to rebuild the club and win their 55th title in the 2020-21 season was a huge achievement and, once you have tasted that euphoria in a city like Glasgow, which gets under your skin, that connection is always going to be there.
Wolves was a Premier League job and that status means he would have stood to earn more than at Ibrox.
But Rangers are an institution, competing for trophies every year; they reached that Europa League final last season, and the Champions League group stage they were part of this autumn for the first time since 2010-11 is the new benchmark.

To grow to love a club and have a young family who loved their life in Glasgow does not always arise in management. Beale’s youngest daughter was born in Scotland and was given the name Alba, if any more proof of her parents’ affection for the country is needed.
It is a precarious profession and he had already moved twice in just over a year, so this will not have been a decision he took lightly — his family didn’t move down to Birmingham, where Villa play, until some months after he joined the club.
Beale had numerous chances to leave and take charge of a club during his time at Rangers but he stayed with Gerrard. He turned down the job at Championship side Cardiff City the same week they moved to Villa.
Rangers rate Beale highly from that previous spell with them and view bringing in a sought-after manager as a coup.
Because Beale is so well known to the Rangers fans, a section of the support will view this as the lazy and unimaginative choice by a board that is not flavour of the month with them right now. They may see his profile, as the coach who was here when that title was won two seasons ago, as an attempt to placate those who were angry towards the end of Van Bronckhorst’s reign.
Beale has barely any experience as a manager and a cynical mind would ask why, if Rangers thought that much of him, they didn’t offer him it a year ago. To appoint Van Bronckhorst and his staff, and now replace them with Beale’s team 12 months on, has cost the club money.
No appointment is safe at Rangers, though, and is it any less of a risk appointing someone with 200 games as a manager who doesn’t understand the unique pressures of the club?

Beale chats to Connor Goldson at Rangers’ home game against Aberdeen in October (Photo by Rob Casey/SNS Group via Getty Images)
As Gerrard’s trusted first-team coach, Beale assumed a large share of the responsibility on the training pitch — it could be framed that the apprentice has now become the master.
But the former England captain was open in stating that Beale was in charge of training. Gerrard said it would take him 20 years to become as good a coach as Beale is, given that is the amount of time his assistant invested in building his experience with Chelsea and Liverpool at academy level, and at Brazilian club Sao Paulo.
By the time QPR came calling in the summer, Beale admitted he felt “overcooked” as an assistant.
It would be a stretch to say he returns to Rangers oven-ready as his 22-game reign at Loftus Road (won nine, drawn five, lost eight) does not change his CV drastically. He began strongly with nine wins and three draws from his first 16 league games but experienced a wobble in the final weeks before the World Cup break, taking one point from five games; despite that, having QPR sitting seventh was a very good overall start.
Managing a club the size of Rangers, with the relentless pressure to win every trophy available, every year, means that neither they nor city neighbours and arch-rivals Celtic are ever truly built for the long term. Expectations have changed since he arrived with Gerrard in the summer of 2018, when there was time for the new regime to bed in and build from the low base of the previous season’s third-place finish.
Now the scrutiny will be on him straight away once the season resumes with a December 15 home game against Hibernian and Beale will need to take on the additional pressures that come with being the public figurehead of the club.
Gerrard has had to internalise that sort of intense pressure his whole adult life, having had to shoulder great responsibility in his playing days. But even he had to go through a transition to becoming a manager. Beale will have to cope with new tests with Glasgow’s 24/7 football news cycle and supporters who can be unforgiving if you do not start well.
What stands him in good stead is that he will have been able to study Gerrard up close and see how he handled his emotions, managed upwards, got across the messages he intended and insulated himself from the cacophony of noise on every corner.

Been disabled for the Athletic unfortunately mate
Beale took charge of Rangers training as part of Gerrard’s regime (Photo: Alan Harvey / SNS Group via Getty Images)
Having rejected Wolves, he had to believe in the plan at Rangers and that he is capable of getting more out of this current squad. Investment is part of that to keep building a squad to suit his preferences, but there will not be bundles of spare cash to play with now as Rangers are operating a model of financial sustainability so coaching will be key.
Beale is understood to be bringing coaching staff from QPR with him as Van Bronckhorst’s staff have also been relieved of their duties — assistants Roy Makaay and Dave Vos, fitness coach Arno Philips, first-team coach Ceri Bowley and analyst Yori Bosschaart.
Beale’s staff are familiar faces to him and, interestingly, almost all older than him with experience of academy and first-team football. Damian Matthew was the one who interviewed Beale for his very first coaching job, at Chelsea’s academy, in 2006 and is viewed as a mentor figure.
Neil Banfield was a holdover from the previous QPR staff under former Rangers manager Mark Warburton. He spent almost two decades at Arsenal, including six as part of Arsene Wenger’s staff, and also had a spell at Ibrox in a scouting capacity during Gerrard’s reign.
There is also a development coach in 32-year-old Harry Watling, who Beale knows from his Chelsea days. Watling earned his UEFA B licence at age 18 and his UEFA A licence at 26. He managed US second-tier side Hartford Athletic for 18 months before joining Beale’s QPR staff in the summer.
The group are understood to work in a similar way to how Gerrard’s Rangers assistants operated, with each coach responsible for a unit of the team and Watling taking set-piece responsibilities.
The coaching staff will provide new voices but Beale returns to a largely-familiar squad — 22 of them were at the club when he left last November. The staleness of the domestic performances in the last 18 months, an issue that first surfaced under Gerrard and therefore also Beale, is evidence of a team that needs to be refreshed.
Perhaps bringing back Beale can act as the reset button instead and produce a clear structure.
One thing that Rangers should get with him is an immediate stylistic change. Van Bronckhorst’s struggles came from a lack of creativity and a perceived lack of identity.
By February, only three months after the Dutchman’s appointment, it was alarming how quickly the defending champions had lost their character as they put in such a meek and confused performance while losing 3-0 away to Celtic. After that, Van Bronckhorst managed to find a way of playing in Europe that made Ibrox into a fortress and injected energy and excitement into their play, but having got to that Europa League final, things fell away again this season.
There were not many signs of repetition or a collective understanding of how to attack teams once in the final third.
How much a coach can control that last part is up for debate but under Gerrard, Rangers had dominated games in a more suffocating way.
A lot of that came from their base-first approach to building a way of playing. The 4-3-2-1 that became so well-known was exported to Villa and then QPR, an indication of how much Beale’s fingerprints were on what happened at Rangers.
Rangers were four points clear of Celtic when Gerrard and his staff left for Villa.
Celtic did go on an incredible run under new manager Ange Postecoglou and Rangers would have to have matched them to retain their title but Gerrard believed the recipe which made his team champions still had legs. With John Lundstram, Glen Kamara and Ryan Jack in midfield, three narrow forwards and two advanced full-backs, they backed the squad they had built to be too strong to catch.
Whether that would have been proven to be the case is hypothetical.
There had been conversations about evolving the style to become more unpredictable — Beale and his staff can now resume those talks to revitalise Rangers.

Disappointed in this lazy appointment from our chancer of a DOF, despite my liking for Beale as a coach and person. Have a bad feeling about this but considering I had good feelings about the last 2 appointments I hope he proves me wrong and has a hugely successful tenure.

Welcome back to the most successful club in the world Mr Beale and best of British to you!
Very definition of a bi-polar bear!
Glad that you are in touch with your feelings, though. :)

I thought his interview was really good. Wants tO take the hand break off and go for it. Wants to bring an identity back to the team

Welcome back Mick! Right behind you. But remember, “what have you done for me lately” will come up.

Take us to 56+

I’ll back him 100% as the new manager. I think there has been some unwarranted hype over the piece about him, but he’s clearly a talented coach. I hope he realises his potential at Ibrox and leads us to great success.

I thought his interview was really good. Wants tO take the hand break off and go for it. Wants to bring an identity back to the team
I'd hope that means an attacking style with a purpose and not the 4-3-3 with the over reliance on full backs 3 holding midfielders and narrow 10's.

We need creativity and runners from midfield and cutting edge and goals from all areas of our attack.

It's a complete rebuild that's required to do that and of course proper funds and better scouting to take us up a level.

So we limit the pool of managers we can appoint to those willing to accept 1 year deals? There will be an exit clause on every deal, won’t be the full contract as a payoff.
I was actually thinking that. Hopefully a clause in the contract just incase. Anyway, hope he gets all the players back into training tomorrow and get them as fit as when he left. I really think he'll be great for us, and he will have my full support. I was just being cautious after Gio only being here for a year.

Just have to get behind him now, otherwise he’s doomed to fail.

Probably good for him to come in when we’re 9 behind cos there’s no pressure on him, he just has to get us some sort of identity and put up a good show in the old firms. Will have to win a cup though.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh. Kinda feels like a step backwards as things weren’t exactly great prior to them leaving for Villa. We were all complaining about the football back then too.

That said, I’ve no idea who else to have gone for. Kinda gutted Gio didn’t work out as he seemed to really want it when he joined.

17 days until we play. Brutal international break. Although it gives Michael Beale and his team time to work with the players.

Rewind back to a week ago and very few would have said we would have a new manager in place, in time for the players coming back.

The Board of Directors have acted, they've brought in man many wanted.

His interview today does not disappoint.

Back