World Cup 2022 Costa Rica v Germany, Japan v Spain, Canada v Morocco, Croatia v Belgium - Thursday 1st

Interestingly BBC have their coverage of the goal on their website now and the commentator seeing the slomo replay automatically says the ball is out.

It looks clearly out from the side on angle.

All this ‘curvature’ of the ball bollox.

Back in the day if half the ball was over the line it was out.
And it isn’t over the line so it’s not.

Curvature of the ball is a fancy way of describing the entire ball.

Edit: Just noticed the “half”

When was this?

The Germans got away with this one, they'd have a cheek to complain about the Japan one! :))

kWxMAcx.png

Really? One of the few protest moments. Everybody else, mainstream, going with the flaw, kissing FIFA ass. Congrats! I am German, I am no big national team supporter but some comments here piss me off...if you pretend it is all about the fitba, fine by me, but please start thinking before communicating..m
If they cared about the cause so deeply and its above all else why not just take the booking for wearing the armband?

Virtue signalling. No two ways about it.

Bye bye.

I can't make up my mind based on the pictures so far. The Germans must be going absolutely mental.

That’s the key point - unless the VAR can prove the refs decision was wrong and they can’t because the camera angles are inclusive, then it stands.

But the assistant says it crossed the line so should have been ruled out. He has his flag up.

Spheres and straight lines,
Is there a Physics expert to explain the theory behind it,
And how they both can trick the eye into believing your seeing something that’s not actually there
Non-Euclidian geometry; all started when mathematicians abandoned Euclid's 5th Axiom, cos it sounded too clunky and not in keeping with his first 4 axioms of Maths. And from there non-Euclidian geometry was born and all sorts soon became apparent. For example, you know the mathematical "fact" that the angles of triangle always add up to 180 degrees? That's only a fact on a flat surface. Draw a triangle on a sphere (football, balloon, whatever). Add up the angles, they ain't 180.

Non-Euclidian geometry also has shapes with only 1 side and all sorts of unintuitive stuff. I realise I haven't actually answered your question with physics/maths proofs, I'm just pointing out how unintuitive things get for us humans when spheres etc get involved, they just don't make immediate, natural sense to us, a bit like logarithmic scales, exponential growth, mathematical probabilities, gigantic/tiny numbers, etc etc

Why is everyone saying they went with the onfield decision? They originally disallowed the goal on the field, linesman flagged for it being out.

VAR then overuled, hence why ref made TV gesture when he gave goal.

Aye. Pics on twitter with the lines drawn show its in though mate. Devastating as it means that kents would probably be given

Was wondering who’d be first mentioning that!!

Absolutely no reason to believe it would be the case, cause this is similar doesn’t make it exact same!

I think a lot of posters are not understanding the following points:
  • Due to the positioning of the cameras pictures that appear to show the ball being out from a straight on view are not actually straight on, and are from an angle giving a false position of the ball.
  • The still images being shown are taken from freeze frames from live video - this reduces the quality of the picture and gives a false image.
  • Dependant on the contrast and brightness a false bloom is shown on the pictures, which further increases the false image.
  • Due to the limited framerate the only view showing from above cannot show the actual moment the ball is hit, it does show it being in but it may have gone out but not been captured by a video frame.
  • The Germans are arrogant c*nts and supporters across the world are quite happy to see them go out due to a dodgy goal.
  • The dodgy goal in question wasn't even in their game, which is all the sweeter.
Always happy to explain things.

Non-Euclidian geometry; all started when mathematicians abandoned Euclid's 5th Axiom, cos it sounded too clunky and not in keeping with his first 4 axioms of Maths. And from there non-Euclidian geometry was born and all sorts soon became apparent. For example, you know the mathematical "fact" that the angles of triangle always add up to 180 degrees? That's only a fact on a flat surface. Draw a triangle on a sphere (football, balloon, whatever). Add up the angles, they ain't 180.

Non-Euclidian geometry also has shapes with only 1 side and all sorts of unintuitive stuff. I realise I haven't actually answered your question with physics/maths proofs, but I'm just pointing out how unintuitive things gets for us humans when spheres etc get involved, they just don't make immediate, natural sense to us, a bit like logarithmic scales, exponential growth, mathematical probabilities, gigantic/tiny numbers, etc etc

That's easy for you to say. :)) Its all Greek to me.

Where is that from? The linesman had flagged it. The japanese player didnt celebrate and pointed to the linesman when the players were running over to him.
Good shout...I hadn't seen that but you are right. My previous point is withdrawn.

If they cared about the cause so deeply and its above all else why not just take the booking for wearing the armband?

Virtue signalling. No two ways about it.

Bye bye.
Absolutely right. But anybody else, apart from Denmark, thinking about breaking with FIFA??? Hot air....nothing. Sure, everbody, full of joy, Germany out. Fine, but is this just not malicious joy??

Those saying the Germans will be raging as it knocked them out. Would a draw between Spain and Japan still not have knocked Germany out as them and Japan would both have had 4 points but Japan above them on head to head.

Non-Euclidian geometry also has shapes with only 1 side and all sorts of unintuitive stuff. I realise I haven't actually answered your question with physics/maths proofs, I'm just pointing out how unintuitive things get for us humans when spheres etc get involved, they just don't make immediate, natural sense to us, a bit like logarithmic scales, exponential growth, mathematical probabilities, gigantic/tiny numbers, etc etc
I have to say. I never expected this sort of contribution on a match thread :D

Watching Spain after going 2-1 down didn't look as though they would get back into it. A bit like watching Rangers, pass, pass no penetration. Might still win Cup as they have got themselves an easier passage.

Do u think Spain knew that had better chance of progress in second place as they play Morocco next and Japan play Croatia next ?
Conspiracy loyal

Back