For you, who’s “the captain”?

evo14

Official Ticketer
Was thinking that for younger bears, in years to come, will think of Tav as the captain. And rightly so, given his service to the club.

Personally, when I think of the captain, I think of Richard Gough. I remember reading a quote by him along the lines of…

“Even now that I still consider myself an ambassador and representative of Rangers, and would never do anything to embarrass the club”

Barry Ferguson was another great captain for much of my lifetime, but I still automatically think of Gough.

For older bears we also have Derek Johnstone and John Greig amongst many notable candidates.

My brother was a guest at Rangers and met Richard Gough, when he told me the first thing I said was “The Captain? You met the Captain?”
He was the leader in a team of winners like Fergie, Super, Bomber and The Goalie, and lifted 9IAR.
No offence to those that have come since, but he is my Captain.

Gough and Ferguson for me were both the top. Gough I think is probably the best we'll ever see.

Gough for me.. a huge player for us and the blueprint for a Rangers Captain, my favourite ever player and in my eyes the greatest player we have had

Gough and Weir.

People will continue to comment that we lack players like this but you just don't really get them in football anymore and the ones that do exist are at the end of their careers.

Can anyone name a proper leader of men playing anywhere that's aged between 21 and 30?

None spring to mind for me.

Gough for me.. but as a Bear in my mid-40s it is unlikely to be anyone else.

For the sake of discussion.. I really liked Amoruso as captain, heart on the sleeve and really took to it all with captaining this club.

I could never really go Barry Ferguson.. tremendous footballer but I never warmed to him at all.
With Tavernier.. I like him and it’s almost impossible to find fault in anything he has done. But he’s a very modern day captain for that and lacks something that Butcher, Gough, Amoruso and Ferguson all had - something to really spur the others on even when they were having a shocker or a tough time themselves.

Richard Gough.

Said that when talking to a mate not long ago where he was referring to The Captain and before the story fully developed we both knew exactly who he was talking about.

We're both in our early 40s and I honestly can't think of anyone in my lifetime who would be considered more of a captain, than THE Captain.

Reactions: TQ3
Back