For you, who’s “the captain”?

James Tavernier has a tremendous story around his tenure at the club. I am pretty sure when he finishes his career his Rangers record as an individual will stack right up there.

On the park - Barry Ferguson was immense as captain. But being the captain of our club is way more than just on the park. He badly let us down in that vein.

Was thinking that for younger bears, in years to come, will think of Tav as the captain. And rightly so, given his service to the club.

Personally, when I think of the captain, I think of Richard Gough. I remember reading a quote by him along the lines of…

“Even now that I still consider myself an ambassador and representative of Rangers, and would never do anything to embarrass the club”

Barry Ferguson was another great captain for much of my lifetime, but I still automatically think of Gough.

For older bears we also have Derek Johnstone and John Greig amongst many notable candidates.
Mr Greig, with Mr Gough a very very close second.

I grew up with Watler and his first stint. Gough for me personifies what a captain of a big football club should be.

Started going to games in 1999 so I’ll say Barry and Davie Weir both outstanding leaders in different ways.

That 2002 cup final against the scum Barry just took the game by the scruff of the neck and decided we weren’t losing it.

Gough and Ferguson.

I would have loved to have been old enough to see Greig as Captain.

James Tavernier has a tremendous story around his tenure at the club. I am pretty sure when he finishes his career his Rangers record as an individual will stack right up there.

On the park - Barry Ferguson was immense as captain. But being the captain of our club is way more than just on the park. He badly let us down in that vein.
Greig my first rangers captain I can remember

Gough when I hear the word captain and rangers in the same sentence.

Weir and Butcher weren't too shabby either.

Barry was Barry, not quite the standard but a leader on the park.

Tav is good but not near the quality of the above.

Shout out to Steven Davis, Lee McCulloch and Lee Wallace for their services too.

Richard Gough.

Said that when talking to a mate not long ago where he was referring to The Captain and before the story fully developed we both knew exactly who he was talking about.

We're both in our early 40s and I honestly can't think of anyone in my lifetime who would be considered more of a captain, than THE Captain.
I dont think that’s ever going to be in question mate

Gough.
Barry has said too much crap in recent years to still be thought of with anything like the respect Gough still commands. Even Amo comes to mind before BF for me.

Richard Gough for me.

It takes a certain personality to be the leader in a dressing room with big characters like McCoist, Goram, Ian Ferguson, Bomber, Hateley etc.

In my lifetime I’ve had Butcher, Gough and Weir epitomise what a Rangers on field captain should be like. Gough is and always be the stand out in my time.

Stripped of the captaincy in disgrace, twice. Not worthy of being mentioned as a great Rangers skipper whatsoever imo

Only two for me.

John Greig is the ultimate Captain, because it’s bloody John Greig and he’s Rangers royalty. Big ham ‘n’ egg is the numero uno, and he won’t be topped.

The other will be the King. Mr Gough, and because my young life was dominate by this man lifting trophy after trophy. The epitome of a leader of men on and off the park. If there is no Greig, however, there is no Gough and it’s a hard act to follow these two titans and I’m afraid that no man will ever be able to top these two as Captain material.

There have been many others before them who carried themselves in a manner that a Rangers captain should, but sadly after Gough there hasn’t been a captain to carry themselves in the same way.

Tavernier has carried himself well as a man in the role of Captain, but he can never measure up to the two top men of Rangers Football Club.

Was thinking that for younger bears, in years to come, will think of Tav as the captain. And rightly so, given his service to the club.

Personally, when I think of the captain, I think of Richard Gough. I remember reading a quote by him along the lines of…

“Even now that I still consider myself an ambassador and representative of Rangers, and would never do anything to embarrass the club”

Barry Ferguson was another great captain for much of my lifetime, but I still automatically think of Gough.

For older bears we also have Derek Johnstone and John Greig amongst many notable candidates.
Ferguson for sure is who i think of as Rangers captain from growing up, but also Davie Weir too. Tav isnt the same type of captain, but he has been a great player for us and clearly has the respect of his fellow pros so that must show that hes a good captain.

John Greig closely followed by Richard Gough and then David Weir. Barry Ferguson doesn’t quite make my list as I’m afraid to be a great Captain of the famous Glasgow Rangers FC you have to behave with a certain degree of class off the park too and unfortunately Barry fell short in that department at times but he deserves a mention for his leadership qualities on the park as the little general discovered during his tenure at our club.

Stripped of the captaincy in disgrace, twice. Not worthy of being mentioned as a great Rangers skipper whatsoever imo
Definitely on the pitch he was a great driving force. But off it definitely not. Also why I don’t want him anywhere near the club in a professional capacity ever again.

Richard Gough probably because that who was the captain when I was growing up.

But my ultimate Rangers captain is Davie Weir. Led by example and made the guys around him look a million bucks at times.

Back