Manager on transfer targets for January

Fresh start under Beale. We'll find out pretty soon if the manager fancies him and what he can produce. Having watched the training videos since Belae and his staff have come in, he looks like he fails to understand what's been asked in certain drills.
I would be surprised to see him get much playing time as he’s not good enough on rye ball,

I would be surprised to see him get much playing time as he’s not good enough on rye ball,

We aren't exactly flooded with numbers and quality in attacking areas or players on form.

He's now working under a new manager who's probably going to play to his strengths in terms of set up. An arm around the shoulder, bit of belief in him, possibly a different role?

Over to Matondo. We'll find out soon enough if he's got what it takes.

Tillman has natural talent that cannot be taught. His potential is through the roof. Even now he scores and creates wonderful goals. The tracking back and marking elements of the game can be taught. IMHO he is the most creative member of our team currently. Even if the ugly side of the game is lacking in him, we have had precocious talents down the years that were similar when fully developed. Tillman has the talent, it needs polished but he has it.
Beale said that looking in from the outside Tillman was the player he was most excited to work with and develop.

We aren't exactly flooded with numbers and quality in attacking areas or players on form.

He's now working under a new manager who's probably going to play to his strengths in terms of set up. An arm around the shoulder, bit of belief in him, possibly a different role?

No we aren’t but half the time he looks like he’s never seen a football before I am not sure he’s going to be able to get much coached in to him.

As you say time will tell.

The numpty that suggested matondo for us should be sacked he is absolutely crap one of the worst players I have seen at Ibrox he offers absolutely nothing shocking signing.
How much of him being shocking is Gio's abysmal tactics?
Matondo is a player who thrives running onto the ball on the front foot, utilising his pace.
He's never been a player who backs into defenders and uses strength or hold up play.

Gio and his slow, turgid football had him taking the ball to feet with a defender up his arse so he couldn't get turned and use any of his main attributes. That no doubt helped destroy his confidence as well. To a slightly lesser degree, he destroyed Ryan Kent in the same way having him just hang out on the line with a defender right up behind him.

I suppose it could come down to both sides being at failure, Wilson signing players clearly not fitting into Gio's tactics, and Gio not playing to the strength of his signings. I think both are to blame.

I wouldn't be shocked if Beale likes the look of him and can play to his strengths.

Last edited:
Fresh start under Beale. We'll find out pretty soon if the manager fancies him and what he can produce. Having watched the training videos since Belae and his staff have come in, he looks like he fails to understand what's been asked in certain drills.

Wouldn't hold that against him.

Remember how clueless Lundstram looked in his early days in our system

Still reckon the kid is salvageable

Wouldn't hold that against him.

Remember how clueless Lundstram looked in his early days in our system

Still reckon the kid is salvageable

Looks better on left for sure and I always got the impression our wide players under Gio were restricted a bit, ie stay really wide.

With clear direction and guidance we may see a different player.

I
Do you not think sometimes we're a bit to focused on it? For every Bassey there's a Motondo. I'd like us to try and find a couple more Lawrence's who are probably the finished article and improve us straight away. That doesn't mean we shouldn't cut back on potential
Agree mate, but the reputed 2.7 million isn't normal cross border money.
Aribo being the exception as he was so highly thought of from the lower divisions rather than an U23's prospect

Looks better on left for sure and I always got the impression our wide players under Gio were restricted a bit, ie stay really wide.

With clear direction and guidance we may see a different player.

The money we are forking out for him and Sakala when it's blatantly obvious Kent is immovable from that left wing position is something I can't wrap my head around.

That's £3m in fees and probably £2-2.5m a year in wages on two players who'll never get a look in in their proper position until Kent is either sold(don't laugh) or leaves.

I realise it's ground that's been covered before, but I really do hope that we're mindful of how well Bassey coped with Scottish football because of his physique.
It's not necessarily a requirement to be a "solid unit", but in Scotland it's often more than half the battle.

In previous years we've seen slightly-built but skillful guys brought in and kicked, hacked and pushed all over the place. Without punishment of course.

I know we're not the only Club looking for robust, good players like that.
But I'd be telling them that within a few weeks, they'll likely be going straight into our first team.
Something that most other clubs wouldn't be saying.

There was a massive thread on it a week or so back with several people saying it was a done deal.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest the boys an absolute idiot.

This homegrown rule is a major problem for us.

It's a choice between keeping guys past it or not good enough or taking a chance on guys like Porteous.

FWIW, another other Scottish player in his position and it's no brainer on a free. But the boy is nowhere near worth the hassle IMO.

We deserve all we get

Holly shit

It's a choice between keeping guys past it or not good enough or taking a chance on guys like Porteous.

FWIW, another other Scottish player in his position and it's no brainer on a free. But the boy is nowhere near worth the hassle IMO.

I actually don’t think he’s that bad a player and if it was the on field stuff and even the picture with Alfie wouldn’t be an issue in my eyes.

But desecration of somebody’s shrine and throwing tumblers at women he shouldn’t be anywhere near us.

I can’t see how it’s a massive problem

It can’t be Porteous sized problem there has to be better options

I still think he deserves the benefit of the doubt and a chance in a team playing an actual system which will hopefully involve playing to his strengths. Was it not at Anfield he came on, played on the left, looked really good.... and was then dropped for Kent the next game back?

I think it was Motherwell where he started on the right and our tactic seemed to be to play long, high balls up to him?!

The team has been mis-firing all season, looked low on fitness & confidence, so it's an even tougher ask than normal for players to come in and hit the ground running. I don't think Matondo has even had decent run of matches has he?

I can’t see how it’s a massive problem

It can’t be Porteous sized problem there has to be better options

You're paying through the nose on guys because of their nationality in order to fill a quota.

Ferguson and Doig went for £6m combined in the summer.

Would Aberdeen and Hibs have sold him to us for those fees or is there a premium on top because it's us ?

Celtic paid £3m+ for Turnbull and he can't get a game for them.

We are incredibly skint aren’t we ?
I don't think we are, but we'll clearly have a budget we need to meet.

None of us know the details, but you have to think that a bit of wheeling & dealing could free up a reasonable chunk of cash from the wage budget for starters.

McGregor, Davis, Helander, Roofe, Kent and Morelos - for one reason or another, we could look to move them on/negotiate exits in January rather than waiting until the summer and free up cash to be reinvested.

The likes of Wright, Kelly (if we sign him), a back up RB are how we can go some way to getting around the home grown rules.

I wouldn't be adverse to us just having bang average Scottish players around the squad on the cheap, they at the moment can't be any worse than what Hellander and Rofe have been.

The Scottish players should be on the edges with limited minutes trying to get into a quality first 13/14

If he wisens up. We’ve had our fair share of absolute nutters down the years also.

He is a good player. But again, I’d only have him here if he changes his ways.
A thug who glassed a woman? A thug that has tried in every game we have played against him to injure our players or get them sent off?

Have a word with yourself mate.

Do you not think sometimes we're a bit to focused on it? For every Bassey there's a Motondo. I'd like us to try and find a couple more Lawrence's who are probably the finished article and improve us straight away. That doesn't mean we shouldn't cut back on potential

Are you meaning us as a support? Or the club in general?

If it's the latter then, no. I don't think they are as focused on it as they perhaps should've been, clubs that operate this kind of trading model, don't continuously dish out decent wages to guys in their late 30's like we've done recently. They let those types of players go and bring in younger players with the view to improving them. Short term pain, for long term gain. I think we've been over cautious in the market and we've leaned too heavily on seasoned veterans of late.

I also think the support focuses on it, primarily because the club keeps constantly reiterating that it's the model they want to use. So of course a section of the fanbase is going to scrutinise the decision to sign a player with a poor projected resale value. That's natural, most of that scrutiny dies down once a player proves themselves to be a valuable squad asset though.

Personally, for me anyway, signing guys like Lawrence. I've got no qualms with it. So long as they're a good fit and don't have a poor record of constantly being on the treatment table. Signing players like Lawrence, Davies and Lundstram makes sense to me, because you obviously can't just have a team of kids playing every season and expect to remain a challenger in our league. My main gripe is we over bloat our squad with guys we should have said our farewells to a few seasons ago.

A thug who glassed a woman? A thug that has tried in every game we have played against him to injure our players or get them sent off?

Have a word with yourself mate.

Not defending him and think the guy is an utter wanker but the glassing you refer to…. Did he not lob a plastic pint tumbler on a night out.

Hardly glassing a woman is it ? Go to any gig and you’ll see these flying about all over the shop.

Onomah is a good player. Good vision, great passer of a ball and is strong. Nice touch and feet - similar in that sense to Aribo. Maybe not as good a touch or close control but still has that in his locker.

Jim Duffy saying on SSB last night he had heard we were in for Porteous
This should be good for a quite enormous FF meltdown!

For what it’s worth I don’t want him at the club either, but as always I’ll trust the manager’s judgement.

We definitely need a goalie, centre half, and centre mid, preferably all in January, although I realise how hard it can be to get the right players in January.

Onomah is a good player. Good vision, great passer of a ball and is strong. Nice touch and feet - similar in that sense to Aribo. Maybe not as good a touch or close control but still has that in his locker.
Looked at his highlight vid and he did remind me of Aribo a bit in his style

I realise it's ground that's been covered before, but I really do hope that we're mindful of how well Bassey coped with Scottish football because of his physique.
It's not necessarily a requirement to be a "solid unit", but in Scotland it's often more than half the battle.

In previous years we've seen slightly-built but skillful guys brought in and kicked, hacked and pushed all over the place. Without punishment of course.

I know we're not the only Club looking for robust, good players like that.
But I'd be telling them that within a few weeks, they'll likely be going straight into our first team.
Something that most other clubs wouldn't be saying.
Yeah we need players who can win a physical battle and then the skill tells against domestic teams. Guys like Novo, McCann, Stuart McCall were small but could mix it with the cloggers/6 foot hard men of other teams

I get the impression that Beale will be clear about what he needs, and what he isn't happy about.
I hope so but let's hope we give him the tools to do the job so he has the best chance of making his time at us a success.
the team really needs to freshen up.

He is a scumbag thug and not even a decent defender.
To be fair he played very well against Ukraine when he played for Scotland and dominated their big striker Dovbyk.

The problem is he needs to do it on a consistent basis and cut out the mistakes in his game.

Goldson and Davies will likely be our centre back pairing but if he's available more than Souttar and Helander then he will be a decent back up.

King has potential but is miles off it. It would do him good to go out on loan and get some first team experience.

I think King could go on loan for remainder of season if and it’s a big if we get a new CB and the others stay fit.

King is a good player a very good player! I think a lot forget his age and it’s his breakout season.

Give him a season or two and he will be head and shoulders above any other defender we have. I honestly feel like he will be our next big sellable asset.

Comment from the AGM in that “we need Scottish players” speaks volumes.

New deal for Jack and Arfeild. Wright will be going nowhere. We’ll prob go and end up recruiting Porteous after all. If either of Kenny McLean or Fleck are out of contract then we’ll prob make approaches for them.

Comment from the AGM in that “we need Scottish players” speaks volumes.

New deal for Jack and Arfeild. Wright will be going nowhere. We’ll prob go and end up recruiting Porteous after all. If either of Kenny McLean or Fleck are out of contract then we’ll prob make approaches for them.

I think Mclean signed a new deal with Norwich?

on the point about scottish players, if Rangers want to sign them it puts their club in a tough position if the player is desperate to come to Ibrox. They can knock back some bids ofcourse but they could end up with an unhappy player... I think we should have signed Ferguson.

Back