Jim Duffy saying he has heard Porteous is signing for Rangers

Thats shite. There is a player in there.

Comments like that show you've learned nothing from Lewis Ferguson and Josh Doig who apparently were shite as well
Wow, just wow.

He’s a fucking diddy. One decent game for Scotland and your comparing him to Baresi.

All about standards. Recruiting him won’t close the gap, and there already is a gap

There is a good player in there. However that was years ago. Hibs and himself have done nothing to between him and he has gone backwards

Amazing that Duffy mentions we are singing porteous and all of a sudden all these members have heard from people at Rangers, Hibs coaches and all sorts that he is signing, just all of a sudden they have got the info, I love a good itk poster.
Assuming that's a dig at me amongst others. I don't dive in on every post and rumour. Just the ones that have a bit of info on. Time will tell clearly on this one.

Thug on the field

Scumbag off the field

Nowhere good enough for a team that wants to win the league and do well in Europe

He would be constantly booked and sent off for us as well no way he would get away with what he does as a Hibs player

I refuse to believe there are not better options than him out there
I have heard the same from an ex hibs coach, deal was pretty much agreed in October and to expect him in January.

I am surprised, one reason is I don’t rate him, the other is under both Gio and Gerrard we would press whoever the other CH of hibs was, and let Porteous have the ball knowing he wouldn’t do much with it, and it worked.

If the ex managers didn’t rate him, why the hell are we signing him.
I have heard the same from an ex hibs coach, deal was pretty much agreed in October and to expect him in January.

I am surprised, one reason is I don’t rate him, the other is under both Gio and Gerrard we would press whoever the other CH of hibs was, and let Porteous have the ball knowing he wouldn’t do much with it, and it worked.

If the ex managers didn’t rate him, why the hell are we signing him.
Porteous might not be the answer but the reality is of the six centre backs in the first team squad two are permanently injured one is probably out until the new year another Gio told us is unable to play three games a week that leaves Michael Beale with an eighteen year old and a make shift CB

He isn’t a crap footballer.

You’re not a Scottish international player at 23 if you’re crap.
He stands out now and again in a shite Hibs side. His errors tend not to be highlighted because Hibs are shite.
His decision making is questionable.
A ned with a big mouth and even bigger ego.
One good game for Scotland when he managed to screw the nut.

Alan McLaren he isn’t. Potential liability- for that reason I’m out

Let’s just re-sign Ian Black while we’re at it.
tbh, that's just about the calibre of Porteous.

Why the actual f*** would we be looking at somebody as poor as him, when there ARE (even Scottish) alternatives ?

He’s obviously an absolute throbber whenever he’s played against us but if we get him for free or a small fee in January I wouldn’t be totally against the idea.

He shows at times like the Scotland game that he does have some degree of ability. However the days of him assaulting other players and getting away with it would be over the minute he pulls on our top.

I know that he’d not be popular with a lot of our support but if he came and got off to a good start he quickly win them over and he’d soon be our throbber and would probably quickly get cult hero status.

If Porteous does sign, it will be really interesting to see the reaction from the scottish media and pundits.

It was so noticeable that after his (admittedly impressive) Scotland debut against Ukraine, he was the new golden boy of the msm. Pundits and journos alike falling over themselves to gush praise on him and tell us all how he's the best defensive prospect the country has produced in years. Very little mention of past indiscrepancies both on and off the field...he was effectively saint Ryan of Leith and would be a mainstay of this Scotland team for years to come.

I reckon most of them suspected that he'd sign for celtic or move down south, either of which would only have further enhanced his golden boy status. But signing for us is a whole different kettle of fish. There will be quite a few readying their pens and preparing a 360 turn and I guarantee every single indescrepancy from now on (and more focus on his past antics) will be highlighted and debated non stop, simply by virtue of his connection to us - public enemy #1 of pretty much the entire Scottish game.

So I don't actually have much of an issue with his signing from a talent perspective - he's got potential undoubtedly imo. But it's a hell of a risk to take to assume thst he will screw the nut good and proper a d that even if he does, he'll get a fair rack of the whip from the authorities and media once he pulls on the Royal blue.

tbh, that's just about the calibre of Porteous.

Why the actual f*** would we be looking at somebody as poor as him, when there ARE (even Scottish) alternatives ?
Who are these Scottish alternatives? A couple that wouldn't cost over £5m and would get a game for us would be ideal.

Gona go against the grain and say he would be a good signing
Same. I think there's something there that can be honed.
He's a horrible bastard, but maybe we need a bit of needle in the side.
However the referee fraternity could see him become a Ryan Jack MK2. Won't get away with a quarter of what he does in our jersey.

We signed Mo Johnston. The fans accepted him. A far more toxic character than Porteous will ever be. Oh and when I say he was toxic I do not mean his religious background.
Out of interest, why? He was before my time, but he didn’t seem like the type to act a scumbag like Porteous has?

Messaged a mate through there, who supports Hibs to see if he's heard anything.
He sent about 20 laughing emojis, but said he'd be gutted if he left, and heartbroken if he came to us! :p

We signed Mo Johnston. The fans accepted him. A far more toxic character than Porteous will ever be. Oh and when I say he was toxic I do not mean his religious background.
Rubbish Mo Johnson was a very good player.
Wasn’t a “Ned” who continually tries to cripple our players or demean them at every opportunity.

Porteous is toxic in Scotland …. I would never accept him in a Rangers jersey.
If you think this is a better signing than Mo Johnson you would think signing Ian Black was a master stroke

There is definitely a player somewhere in Porteous. I just hope if he signs the management team can find it. Think it's wild folk writing him off because he's put in a couple of tasty challenges against us.

Jim Duffy is a tedious little slaphead who gets pin-money for pretending to be ITK on a parochial little radio show that has to beg listeners to call in - on the nights when it isn't calling them. Porteous , 'a name that is on the minds of both Rangers and Celtic fans for a number of reasons' - what a complete pile of utter horse shite. I haven't heard a single fan of either club mention him even once - except to say what a diving cart-horse he is. Duffy is an absolute walloper, trying to sound all intelligent and connected. He's the exact opposite.
Gordon Dalziel is the same, but he did say out of the blue about this time last year that he thought Souttar would sign for us.

It was the first time I had heard the link.

All the tabloids saying there is definitely something in it.

Don’t really know what to make of this if he signs, guys a bit of a prick and a thug, but we are soft as shite so f.uck knows.

Out of interest, why? He was before my time, but he didn’t seem like the type to act a scumbag like Porteous has?
For me 3 things stick out re Johnston;

1-sticking the head into Stuart Munro at the ‘86 League Cup Final
2-admitting to listening to rebel tunes on his Sony Walkman in order to relax going to away games on the Watford team coach circa 1984
3-As the teams came out of the tunnel at Scotland v Republic of Ireland 1985,Running to the Celtic end at Hampden and blessing himself rather than following his teammates towards the Rangers end of the pitch and applauding the home support

Not dangerous in the sense that he wasn’t exactly running around trying to maim players like Porteous but for the reasons stated you can see why Rangers fans didn’t like him.

Incredible to think within a matter of months after signing he had became a favourite of the fans,probably helped by the fact that the filth had completely turned on him and disowned him but definitely his goals,workrate etc contributed in a big way

Football really does make mugs out of all us. In what other environment can you hate someone so strongly, only for them to change employer and be welcomed or accepted by those who once loathed them?

Anyway - and I'm sure this has been said numerous times - I've generally no issue with signing players with whom there may be bad blood with the club, but another average Scottish footballer with an underwhelming career who's a liability both on and off the park? Nah, no thanks.
spot on

Back