Jim Duffy saying he has heard Porteous is signing for Rangers

I point blank refuse to believe this. He hates us, he's nowhere remotely near good enough.

I have already seen some turd polishing on here which to me shows no matter who we sign there'll be ones trying to spin it. Ryan effing Porteous FFS.

As I say though, firmly not having this.
You understand we have to sign Scottish players to make our home grown quota, yes? And if so, who, in your opinion, is available that meets the criteria of being
A. Scottish trained and
B. Good enough

We have missed the boat with Ferguson, Doig and Hickey. We can't keep standing on the harbourside thumbing our noses at what Scottish talent there is left.

Porteous is 23, played over 150 games for Hibs, would be free or nominal fee, is a current internationalist and, given the disdain he has shown towards us, must know that he would have to work exceedingly hard to win us over, and be worthy of a place in the team.

From a business point of view, it takes all the boxes and makes sense.

This home grown quota bollocks requires that we look at players we previously might have looked away from.

For me 3 things stick out re Johnston;

1-sticking the head into Stuart Munro at the ‘86 League Cup Final
2-admitting to listening to rebel tunes on his Sony Walkman in order to relax going to away games on the Watford team coach circa 1984
3-As the teams came out of the tunnel at Scotland v Republic of Ireland 1985,Running to the Celtic end at Hampden and blessing himself rather than following his teammates towards the Rangers end of the pitch and applauding the home support

Not dangerous in the sense that he wasn’t exactly running around trying to maim players like Porteous but for the reasons stated you can see why Rangers fans didn’t like him.

Incredible to think within a matter of months after signing he had became a favourite of the fans,probably helped by the fact that the filth had completely turned on him and disowned him but definitely his goals,workrate etc contributed in a big way
Cheers for the insight mate, didn’t know that!

This notion that he “despises us” is one I’ve seen repeated on here. Does he really? A few ridiculous challenges and mouthing off after a game doesn’t necessarily translate to despising Rangers. As far as I’ve seen, he is exactly the same against any opposition, we just see it magnified because it’s against us. I take all of that with a pinch of salt to be honest. He’s playing to the gallery of his current club and does it whoever they play but especially the bigger games vs us, them and Hearts. No surprise there really.

We’ve signed players with a reputation before. Players most Rangers fans would not be happy about if rumoured in advance of them signing. Sometimes it works (MoJo, Diouf), sometimes it doesn’t (Barton).

With Porteous, I see some logic - he’s an aggressive centre half, rarely injured, Scottish international and free / low cost. Raw but potential to develop into a decent defender with better players around him. The first time he clatters Kyogo or Jota into the air and he’d be welcomed with open arms, I’m convinced of that. As for the relationship with Morelos, it’s two snarling players on the field of play when in opposition, they’d get on fine if teammates. And anyway right now, even if Morelos wanted to batter him, he’d have to catch him first and isn’t currently fit enough to do that :)

I’d seriously doubt anyone is going to give their ST up because we may or may not be interested in signing Ryan Porteous
You mean there are a few attention seeking blowhards on here that have said they would but won't really? :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
Just not a particularly good one
This reminds me of a story an old, now retired colleague once told me from back in the day (it may well have been one of these stories that done the rounds but he told me like it was first hand).

Youth football team out Dumbarton way many moons ago, doing trials or the like and this lad who tried, tried, tried but was no use. Apparently the old-school coach had said to him:

"listen son, i've nae doubt there's a player in ye, i've just no' go the time tae get it oot ye"

Do I like him, no.
Do I want him, no.
Is he good enough, 50/50.

Will I support him if he signs, I'd really struggle to.

I hope it's just a silly pre transfer window rumour. We have CG, Souttar, & Davies all ahead of him surely. (yes, if fit).

You understand we have to sign Scottish players to make our home grown quota, yes? And if so, who, in your opinion, is available that meets the criteria of being
A. Scottish trained and
B. Good enough

We have missed the boat with Ferguson, Doig and Hickey. We can't keep standing on the harbourside thumbing our noses at what Scottish talent there is left.

Porteous is 23, played over 150 games for Hibs, would be free or nominal fee, is a current internationalist and, given the disdain he has shown towards us, must know that he would have to work exceedingly hard to win us over, and be worthy of a place in the team.

This home grown quota bollocks requires that we look at players we previously might have looked away from.
I've zero issues with signing Scottish players. In fact I encourage it. However this cretin has gone out numerous times to do our players, he quite blatantly detests us. Fortunately this seems to be a load of shite as he should be nowhere near Ibrox. He's not even close to being good enough for us.

Do I like him, no.
Do I want him, no.

I hope it's just a silly pre transfer window rumour. We have CG, Souttar, & Davies all ahead of him surely. (yes, if fit).
We signed El-Hadji Diouf who was a bit of a dick, to put it mildly.

Although I remember fans on here really not wanting us to sign him!

I'm surprised to see so many people suggest that we've had 'dicks' play for us before therefore we could put up with this guy.

Nobody has ever disrespected a Rangers player to the degree that Porteous has and subsequently joined the team and played alongside that player. (Refering to his Morelos painting and all that nonsense). Signing him would be a massive "f88k you" to a current player and be a terrible indictment of the respect the club has for its playing staff. Can't believe so many people can just step over that issue.

For what its worth, i dont think he's coming to us in a million years but it is interesting/surprising/dissapointing to see how much crap supporters are prepared to accept just to get a player in.

There's thousands of footballers out there - we don't have to pick this c88nt.

I can’t believe people are comparing Maurice Johnston to Ryan Porteous, in any way shape or form.

Maurice Johnston was one of the best strikers in Europe, and his signing caused our rivals to go into a meltdown they didn’t recover from for over a decade.

Ryan Porteous costs a shite Hibs side 10 points a season.

I honestly fucking despair.

Sometimes a ‘controversial’ signing is worth it, but I can’t see any benefit to this whatsoever.

All that said, I think this is just agent talk to try and force Celtic’s hand anyway.

Last edited:
Hibs have not been approached by Rangers about centre back Ryan Porteous who is almost certain to leave Easter Road next month.

The 23-year-old defender is in the final year of his contract is expected to leave the Leith men next month, having turned down the offer of a new, improved deal. Boss Lee Johnson has already said that the club wants to try to cash in in the Scotland international who has attracted interest from the English Championship.

It would be Hibs' preference that Porteous moves away from Scotland rather than switching to a rival club either in the January window or at the end of the season when he would be a free agent.

However, former Hibs boss Jim Duffy reckons there is serious interest from the Ibrox club. He was asked on Clyde 1 Superscoreboard about a potential move to Celtic and said: "Not to throw cold water on [that] suggestion because I agree with it, but I have heard that there is a little bit of a suggestion that he could be going across the road to their greatest rivals. So, I have heard that, whether there's that much in it, but that's something that's in the air."

The Times are reporting that Hibs have not had any contact from Rangers although they anticipate offers to start to materialise in he coming weeks.

Hibs restart the Premiership campaign at Ibrox on December 15 in what will be Michael Beale's first game in charge.

Scottish Daily Express.

I've zero issues with signing Scottish players. In fact I encourage it. However this cretin has gone out numerous times to do our players, he quite blatantly detests us. Fortunately this seems to be a load of shite as he should be nowhere near Ibrox. He's not even close to being good enough for us.
Which Scottish players are good enough for us?

Hibs have not been approached by Rangers about centre back Ryan Porteous who is almost certain to leave Easter Road next month.

The 23-year-old defender is in the final year of his contract is expected to leave the Leith men next month, having turned down the offer of a new, improved deal. Boss Lee Johnson has already said that the club wants to try to cash in in the Scotland international who has attracted interest from the English Championship.

It would be Hibs' preference that Porteous moves away from Scotland rather than switching to a rival club either in the January window or at the end of the season when he would be a free agent.

However, former Hibs boss Jim Duffy reckons there is serious interest from the Ibrox club. He was asked on Clyde 1 Superscoreboard about a potential move to Celtic and said: "Not to throw cold water on [that] suggestion because I agree with it, but I have heard that there is a little bit of a suggestion that he could be going across the road to their greatest rivals. So, I have heard that, whether there's that much in it, but that's something that's in the air."

The Times are reporting that Hibs have not had any contact from Rangers although they anticipate offers to start to materialise in he coming weeks.

Hibs restart the Premiership campaign at Ibrox on December 15 in what will be Michael Beale's first game in charge.

Scottish Daily Express.
Express are always ok the money with us

Knew it was a load of nonsense

I’m starting to wonder if the rumour about Duffy and Kirsty Gallagher isn’t true either.

I mean ‘fool me once’ and all that.

I think you may be on to something....

0_TNP_10_08_21_Ayr_53JPG.jpg

1f09d5093abc0af63a13af729c032e74.png

This notion that he “despises us” is one I’ve seen repeated on here. Does he really? A few ridiculous challenges and mouthing off after a game doesn’t necessarily translate to despising Rangers. As far as I’ve seen, he is exactly the same against any opposition, we just see it magnified because it’s against us. I take all of that with a pinch of salt to be honest. He’s playing to the gallery of his current club and does it whoever they play but especially the bigger games vs us, them and Hearts. No surprise there really.

We’ve signed players with a reputation before. Players most Rangers fans would not be happy about if rumoured in advance of them signing. Sometimes it works (MoJo, Diouf), sometimes it doesn’t (Barton).

With Porteous, I see some logic - he’s an aggressive centre half, rarely injured, Scottish international and free / low cost. Raw but potential to develop into a decent defender with better players around him. The first time he clatters Kyogo or Jota into the air and he’d be welcomed with open arms, I’m convinced of that. As for the relationship with Morelos, it’s two snarling players on the field of play when in opposition, they’d get on fine if teammates. And anyway right now, even if Morelos wanted to batter him, he’d have to catch him first and isn’t currently fit enough to do that :)

I used to work with one of his best mates and still keep in touch with him. He has always said that Porteous hates us and dislikes Celtic. Is a massive Hibs fan. Weve been asking him about Porteous in the GC and has basically said Porteous isnt telling anyone, including his close friends anything. Well other than he isnt re-signing for Hibs.

Personally I think he will sign for the scum.

I don't see him moving to either side of the Old Firm. English Championship. Possibly Millwall after they had a bid rejected in the summer.

Celtic have signed another Japanese central defender - left footed, left sided. They don't seem to have a problem with their Scottish, European quota; Bain, Ralston, Welsh, Taylor, Forrest, McGregor, Turnbull, does McCarthy count?,

For what its worth, i dont think he's coming to us in a million years but it is interesting/surprising/dissapointing to see how much crap supporters are prepared to accept just to get a player in.

There's thousands of footballers out there - we don't have to pick this c88nt.
Exactly.

We keep hearing that "once he puts Jota or Abada up in the air, he'll be a hero" -- no he won't, he'll be sent off pronto and we'll be down to ten men.

We keep hearing that we need to have a home-grown quota -- well this is true, but that doesn't mean we have to have home-grown in every single position.
He's free & Scottish, I get it.
But he's not good enough.

If we need to bring in a CH (and we do ... now!!) then look for the good player first.
If they're not Scottish .... make up the home grown quota in other positions -- that's what I meant earlier when I referred to him not being the only Scottish alternative we could go for.

As Bristol_bnose3 mentions above: there are thousands of footballers out there.
If we're going to just go for every fu**er who's free and Scottish, then we'll be watcxhing some grim and really really desperate football soon enough.

Not sure if you are serious, but If I understand the rule, he doesn't count as club or national league trained.
The question was which Scottish players are good enough for us. I think Dykes, Lewis Ferguson, Harry Soutter,, they may be beyond our price but in my opinion they are Scottish players who would be good enough for us.

Scottish Daily Express.
Regardless if this is the case or not, with this stupid homegrown rule, we have to start looking at signing Scottish talent. And as there is a dearth of that, players like Porteous unfortunately start standing out as prospective signings - whether supporters like it or not.

Just another UEFA clusterfuck that hamstrings the bigger clubs in smaller nations.

Which Scottish players are good enough for us?
There's a good few in the Scotland setup that are good enough to be in our squad. Porteous isn't one of those. He's a thug who's tried to do our players multiple times. You can try and polish that turd however you please but he's an absolute arsehole and not good enough.

As I say though, fortunately it appears to be a lot of garbage.

The question was which Scottish players are good enough for us. I think Dykes, Lewis Ferguson, Harry Soutter,, they may be beyond our price but in my opinion they are Scottish players who would be good enough for us.
Yes, but as we have a quota to meet, it makes sense that those Scottish players fit the home grown criteria as well - unless there's any proper talent around.

It'll be just like Morelos 'the crazy years'. Remember those fun games when your heart was in your mouth the whole time, because you knew the mad bastard wasn't going to make it till the end of the game without getting himself sent off?

There's a good few in the Scotland setup that are good enough to be in our squad. Porteous isn't one of those. He's a thug who's tried to do our players multiple times. You can try and polish that turd however you please but he's an absolute arsehole and not good enough.

As I say though, fortunately it appears to be a lot of garbage.
Im not trying to polish anything. I was simply asking who you deemed good enough.

He can barely stay on the pitch for HIVS. He'd be red carded for walking down the tunnel with a Rangers shirt on. Let's stay well away from this idiot, crap player.

Yes, but as we have a quota to meet, it makes sense that those Scottish players fit the home grown criteria as well - unless there's any proper talent around.
Like you I can't think of anyone, which is why I have picked those, shame we aren't in the position to sign those players,, I really do think Dykes would add something to our team though, he is good in the air, we are not when it comes to set pieces, we could have a 100 corners a game and score from none, I always remember is having a striker like that,, Hateley and McCoist,, Prso and Novo, I think he would be a good partnership with Colak, who I think would feed of his knockdown in the box, only my opinion mind, just wish we would start with two up front again.

Like you I can't think of anyone, which is why I have picked those, shame we aren't in the position to sign those players,, I really do think Dykes would add something to our team though, he is good in the air, we are not when it comes to set pieces, we could have a 100 corners a game and score from none, I always remember is having a striker like that,, Hateley and McCoist,, Prso and Novo, I think he would be a good partnership with Colak, who I think would feed of his knockdown in the box, only my opinion mind, just wish we would start with two up front again.
Kind of agree in that the manager needs to find a way of keeping Colak in and around the box, and letting others do the work outside the box.

I know it’s more complicated than this. But if I was in charge, I would apply this logic:

Every season, we should be trying to sign one Scottish player under 23 and promote one of our young Scottish players into the 1st team.

So for example, so far this season, due to injuries, King has become a first team regular. I would be trying to consolidate that position. Next season I would focus on Lowry (not to say he cant get game time before then) and the season after I would focus on Devine.

And by this, I mean take these guys from young guys training with the team, to nailed on starter. Some seasons it might not work out, some seasons you might get two that make the grade, etc.

At the same time each season we should sign the best young Scottish player available to us. It should have been Ferguson this season. In hindsight you can see that it was Doig and Hickey the seasons before that. These players will either be young players that have done well in the Scottish leagues, or young guys being made available by teams in England who haven’t quite made the grade.

The logic is simple, if the average length of a contract in football is 4 years. And we do this each year, we will always have 8 Scottish players in the first team squad able to contribute. 4 homegrown, 4 grown at club. Satisfying the UEFA rules. And if we end up selling one of these players we should be able to get a replacement.

By not doing this, we are now needing to hoover up Scottish players who we might otherwise pass on, because we are desperate (Porteous, attitude) Souttar (injury prone, over 23) meaning the Scottish core of our team is weakened, the players end up not getting used, we sell them off for cheap and the cycle repeats it’s self.

I've struggled to spot any skill, ability or positional sense in RP -
Looks like his pretend hard man act is the only thing in his repertoire any time I've watched him
Even his 'spoiling' tactics aren't all that great

I know we need cover at centre back right now - but IMO all he'd be is a body making up the numbers & even then he'd rack up suspensions & be missing most of the time anyway

I don't believe a word of JD's waffle by the way -

Last edited:
Much as some fans will get upset at first, if he plays well and brings a bit of much needed passion to the side then he would be accepted.

football fans are fickle and I think sometimes people forget that the views expressed on here often only represent a small percentage of the fan base. the more casual fan won't really care about the guys past, only if he plays well for us.

football fans are fickle and I think sometimes people forget that the views expressed on here often only represent a small percentage of the fan base. the more casual fan won't really care about the guys past, only if he plays well for us.

I disagree, I don’t think there are many casual fans in Ibrox and I think the sentiment will be same across most of them, similar to Ian Black. Albeit with more ability.

Do I like him, no.
Do I want him, no.

That's being generous IMHO.

I hope to God we don't sign him.

A. Scottish trained and
B. Good enough

I entered this thread going to post "f*ck off" but you've got a point.

I'll wait until if it happens and then say it :D

He can barely stay on the pitch for HIVS. He'd be red carded for walking down the tunnel with a Rangers shirt on. Let's stay well away from this idiot, crap player.
A liability whichever way you look at it. Celtic fans don't want him either for the same reasons.

Back