Jim Duffy saying he has heard Porteous is signing for Rangers

Sign the ned? The lady's front bottom never out the news for his off field pish? Do we have standards any more?

%^*& me!

I’m going to go against the baying mob here by saying that I remember us all scoffing at the scum taking Brooninho. We all said, he’s shite. He’s utterly limited. Plastic hardman. Kevin Thomson is far better (which he was, incidentally, although his injuries really affected his career). All the same stuff I’m now hearing about Porteous. I’m not saying Lego was a word beater, but it’s also wrong to say he was utter dung.

For what it’s worth, I think Porteous will become a very accomplished player in due course, once he irons the abject stupidity of some of his challenges out of his game.

I’ll simply say that I just want to see a winning Rangers team on the pitch, and we are definitely soft at the centre right now. Would he help that? Probably, but we’ll just have to wait and see. He may not be signing anyway.

I'm surprised to see so many people suggest that we've had 'dicks' play for us before therefore we could put up with this guy.

Nobody has ever disrespected a Rangers player to the degree that Porteous has and subsequently joined the team and played alongside that player. (Refering to his Morelos painting and all that nonsense). Signing him would be a massive "f88k you" to a current player and be a terrible indictment of the respect the club has for its playing staff. Can't believe so many people can just step over that issue.

For what its worth, i dont think he's coming to us in a million years but it is interesting/surprising/dissapointing to see how much crap supporters are prepared to accept just to get a player in.

There's thousands of footballers out there - we don't have to pick this c88nt.
Not to say that I hope it happens but we do have something of a millstone round our neck in that we have to sign X amount of Scottish players (I don't think there's any way we'd have signed Scott Wright if that wasn't the case) and of all the current Scottish players who play in a position in which we're currently short I suppose it could be argued that he fits the bill the best.

Besides, in terms of Morelos I doubt he will be a Ranger much longer.

But I still don't think this will happen anyway.

RYAN PORTEOUS is a name that is on the minds of both Rangers and Celtic fans for a number of reasons.

Whether it be after one of his trademark no-nonsence tackles, post-match comments or stand-out displays in the heart of the Hibs backline - he isn't far away from either either Celtic or Rangers fans' thoughts.
They missed out glassing lassies.

Look at the state of the tramp as he arrives at court.

0_Screenshot-2022-06-17-at-20959-PM.png

I know some folk are saying it's a 'done deal' etc, but I just can't see it happening. Here's why:

1) If the rumours are true, then at the very most it could only be a verbal agreement as nothing can be signed until January.

2) I just can't see Beale rubber stamping the signing, considering he was at the club when we seen the very worst of Porteous' antics against us.

3) Following on from point 2, I'd hazard a guess that Beale believes he has a chance of keeping Morelos beyond this season. There's no way he's bringing Porteous into the fold while Alfredo is here. Not to mention the others in the squad that can't go him (Borna, Tav etc). It would be a massive risk to the harmony of the squad bringing him here. Beale is not daft.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ross Wilson and Porteous' representatives HAD been having talks behind the scenes and terms verbally agreed etc, but I think the arrival of Michael Beale changes everything.

Last edited:
He'd need to roll out the boyhood rangers snaps sharpish ala Jason Cummings. I did see he said Ibrox was his favourite stadium he has played in which surprised me at time.

I know some folk are saying it's a 'done deal' etc, but I just can't see it happening. Here's why:

1) If the rumours are true, then at the very most it could only be a verbal agreement as nothing can be signed until January.

2) I just can't see Beale rubber stamping the signing, considering he was at the club when we seen the very worst of Porteus' antics against us.

3) Following on from point 2, I'd hazard a guess that Beale believes he has a chance of keeping Morelos beyond this season. There's no way he's bringing Porteus into the fold while Alfredo is here. Not to mention the others in the squad that can't go him (Borna, Tav etc). It would be a massive risk to the harmony of the squad bringing him here. Beale is not daft.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ross Wilson and Porteus' representatives HAD been having talks behind the scenes and terms verbally agreed etc, but I think the arrival of Michael Beale changes everything.
Re. the bit in bold, you say that but we did sign Joey Barton...

You understand we have to sign Scottish players to make our home grown quota, yes? And if so, who, in your opinion, is available that meets the criteria of being
A. Scottish trained and
B. Good enough

We have missed the boat with Ferguson, Doig and Hickey. We can't keep standing on the harbourside thumbing our noses at what Scottish talent there is left.

Porteous is 23, played over 150 games for Hibs, would be free or nominal fee, is a current internationalist and, given the disdain he has shown towards us, must know that he would have to work exceedingly hard to win us over, and be worthy of a place in the team.

From a business point of view, it takes all the boxes and makes sense.

This home grown quota bollocks requires that we look at players we previously might have looked away from.
I’m not sold on Porteous but the point you make on the 3 players we have missed is a spot on.
If we expect to take raw talent from world wide markets, develop them then sell we can certainly do that in Scotland. We, the fanbase need to change our attitudes towards bringing in Scottish players.

I just hope it’s sorted one way or another sharpish

If he’s coming get him in if he’s not nip it in the bud

6 weeks of this would make my brain fall away like wet cake.

What did Barton ever do against us, prior to him signing? Who in our squad hated him?

Totally different situation.
The point was more that we were all were aware of his character and behaviour and still signed him anyway.

It's probably not uncommon in football that managers sign players that they've had run ins with in the past. If Beale thinks we can get a turn out of the player then he'll want him signed.

I’m going to go against the baying mob here by saying that I remember us all scoffing at the scum taking Brooninho. We all said, he’s shite. He’s utterly limited. Plastic hardman. Kevin Thomson is far better (which he was, incidentally, although his injuries really affected his career). All the same stuff I’m now hearing about Porteous. I’m not saying Lego was a word beater, but it’s also wrong to say he was utter dung.

For what it’s worth, I think Porteous will become a very accomplished player in due course, once he irons the abject stupidity of some of his challenges out of his game.

I’ll simply say that I just want to see a winning Rangers team on the pitch, and we are definitely soft at the centre right now. Would he help that? Probably, but we’ll just have to wait and see. He may not be signing anyway.
Bit of history revision there mate. We were all happy at the prospect of signing Brown when it looked like he was coming to us. So much so that we were all singing "We're gonna take Scott Brown" at Easter Road. The he's shite Thompson is better only happened after they went their separate ways.

Can't see a scenario where we're all chanting with glee about signing Porteous next Thursday though.

The point was more that we were all were aware of his character and behaviour and still signed him anyway.

It's probably not uncommon in football that managers sign players that they've had run ins with in the past. If Beale thinks we can get a turn out of the player then he'll want him signed.
My point is nothing to do with just character. It's more to do with his actions specifically against Rangers - both on and off the field. It's about how he's currently perceived in the dressing room and how it would affect squad harmony, should he arrive.

My point is nothing to do with just character. It's more to do with his actions specifically against Rangers - both on and off the field. It's about how he's currently perceived in the dressing room and how it would affect squad harmony, should he arrive.
We ultimately don't really know how he's perceived in the dressing room. It wouldn't surprise me if they think he's an arsehole but it could be that they all rate him and want him signed. We've no way of knowing and they're not going to come out and tell us.

Completely against the grain, but I’d be signing him for free. In fact, I’d maybe even be offering them a small fee in January to get him sooner. One thing we are is short of centre backs. Would be good to get him in and settled under the new manager as well.

He still has a lot of potential although he’s now 24 he has to start fulfilling it.

It would probably be best for him to head south. But he’s the kind of person who could thrive with us
An aggressive centre half who can score from set pieces. No thanks. I would prefer us to sign a small centre half who doesn’t go up for corners and passes it the the right back all the time.

In all seriousness, I do think Porteous is limited but so were so many that played for us but we’re what we needed for the SPL dross.

Novo and big Marv spring to mind

We ultimately don't really know how he's perceived in the dressing room. It wouldn't surprise me if they think he's an arsehole but it could be that they all rate him and want him signed. We've no way of knowing and they're not going to come out and tell us.
It's a fair assumption to make, that he's not liked in our dressing room by at least a few.

As I said, Michael Beale is not daft.

An aggressive centre half who can score from set pieces. No thanks. I would prefer us to sign a small centre half who doesn’t go up for corners and passes it the the right back all the time.

In all seriousness, I do think Porteous is limited but so were so many that played for us but we’re what we needed for the SPL dross.

Novo and big Marv spring to mind
Porteous couldn't lace big Marv's boots.

It's a fair assumption to make, that he's not liked in our dressing room by at least a few.
Absolutely a fair assumption, but footballers view the game differently from fans. Assuming they want what's best for the team, if they think he's a good player they might want him on their side rather than against them, whereas we just think he's a bell end and don't want him anywhere near us.

But anyway hopefully the players also think he's a bell end and he ends up nowhere near us :D

Absolutely a fair assumption, but footballers view the game differently from fans. Assuming they want what's best for the team, if they think he's a good player they might want him on their side rather than against them, whereas we just think he's a bell end and don't want him anywhere near us.

But anyway hopefully the players also think he's a bell end and he ends up nowhere near us :D
Footballers may view the game differently from fans, but they're not robots and it would still be difficult to welcome someone they disliked into a harmonious dressing room.

We'll see what happens, but I'm very confident he'll not be coming to us.

Would rather not have him because of his cheating antics, but just like anyone who pulls a Ranger's shirt on, he will get the benefit of the doubt until he starts any of his shite.

Footballers may view the game differently from fans, but they're not robots and it would still be difficult to welcome someone they disliked into a harmonious dressing room.

We'll see what happens, but I'm very confident he'll not be coming to us.
So was I, when this was posted yesterday. The fact it's still here would suggest there's a bit more to it than "Jim Duffy says". It would be unexpected to say the least.

So was I, when this was posted yesterday. The fact it's still here would suggest there's a bit more to it than "Jim Duffy says". It would be unexpected to say the least.
As I said before, it wouldn't surprise me if moves have been made in the background and discussions are well down the line, but I'd be amazed if that wasn't while Gio was still here.

Michael Beale coming in changes everything, in my opinion.

He's a very average footballer and suspect at the best of times with his defending.

Nevermind him being an out and out scum bag.

Don't want him anywhere near our club.

It is a NO from me a cowardly thug that assaults a woman with a glass weapon is not what any decent fan wants at his/her Club, the mhedia were very quiet about the whole affair , any sort of incident if he signed for us this would be ramped up 10 fold.....although the boxing matches with him and Alfredo every day in training would be worth watching....would make Hartson v Bercovic look like a pillow fight.

Scott Brown was garbage for Celtic until about 2012.

Couldn't get near our midfield under Walter and was slapped about for them in Europe.

The myth of Scott Brown only grew as we came back into the league with boys like Jason Holt in our midfield. As soon as we got our act together he was back to getting slapped about again, quite literally.

Ignoring everything about his personal life and taking purely his game into account, he is pretty terrible at playing out from the back and has cost Hibs countless goals in the past 2 seasons due to simple passing mistakes. He is positionally naive during matches, increasingly as the game goes on which points to a concentration issue, and he is also very prone to rash tackles.

I have to say I watched his performance for Scotland against Ukraine and thought it was one of the best matches he's ever played, he looked focused and mature both in and out of possession in a game that was far from meaningless and against good opposition.

But that kind of performance are so few and far between, and coupled with his injury record it's not a risk I would like to see us take even on a free transfer

It is a NO from me a cowardly thug that assaults a woman with a glass weapon is not what any decent fan wants at his/her Club, the mhedia were very quiet about the whole affair , any sort of incident if he signed for us this would be ramped up 10 fold.....although the boxing matches with him and Alfredo every day in training would be worth watching....would make Hartson v Bercovic look like a pillow fight.
There may be reasons to dislke him but let's not make stuff up.He did not assault a woman with a glass object.There was a fracas and he threw a plastic tumbler which hit a woman.Ime not defending it but let's not over exaggerate things in an attempt to justify you're opinion.We have also had players that have been on the wrong side of the law regarding assaulting a woman,fighting in pubs and kebab shops etc so let's not get all holier than thou.

He can %^*& off, he’s not wanted
If the manager wants the player in it really doesnt matter what you or any other supporters think mate.
There may be reasons to dislke him but let's not make stuff up.He did not assault a woman with a glass object.There was a fracas and he threw a plastic tumbler which hit a woman.Ime not defending it but let's not over exaggerate things in an attempt to justify you're opinion.We have also had players that have been on the wrong side of the law regarding assaulting a woman,fighting in pubs and kebab shops etc so let's not get all holier than thou.
We had players during Walters time that should have been thrown out the door. Small example. Player arriving an hour before a game absolutely pished.
Walter knew how to manage players thats the difference here.

Reactions: hms
You understand we have to sign Scottish players to make our home grown quota, yes? And if so, who, in your opinion, is available that meets the criteria of being
A. Scottish trained and
B. Good enough

We have missed the boat with Ferguson, Doig and Hickey. We can't keep standing on the harbourside thumbing our noses at what Scottish talent there is left.

Porteous is 23, played over 150 games for Hibs, would be free or nominal fee, is a current internationalist and, given the disdain he has shown towards us, must know that he would have to work exceedingly hard to win us over, and be worthy of a place in the team.

From a business point of view, it takes all the boxes and makes sense.

This home grown quota bollocks requires that we look at players we previously might have looked away from.
If we're having to sign Porteous for this reason whilst letting the likes of Ferguson go to Serie A then simply put it's another difficult question that could easily be aimed at our increasingly questionable recruitment.

Back