The Hits and Misses of Ross Wilson's time at Rangers

Context: Not a Ross Wilson praise post.​

To be honest, it goes beyond 'was the signing a successful player for Rangers'... and should take into consideration both value and profit.

The question really is: Which of Ross Wilson's signings were good for the business?

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​
* Shite player but made a profit?
** Only if they remain injury free (or injured at a normal rate)
*** Value for money signing. If high wages would be a miss, but could still move to Hit.

If Wilson is to be judged on first-team signings, should we also be judging him on academy players such as:

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

As well as considering transfers away from Rangers (transfers only, not contract expiry or loan returns):

Correct decisionCorrect decision, poor dealWrong decision
Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​
* Should have got more money
** Was leaving on a free best?
*** Should have sold earlier to get a higher fee

Finally, contracts:

Good managementBad managementNeither good nor bad
Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
*** Took far too long to sort
**** Should have sold them earlier, for bigger profit
Only thing I wouldn't agree with is Aribo. He was our best player by a stretch in the first half of last season and then played a huge part in the Euro run when we had no fit strikers. I don't think we'd have got anywhere close to Bassey level fees for him if we'd sold him a year earlier and maybe only £1m or £2m more in Jan at best.

Agreed and counts towards HG

Sadly the Ibrox faithful always need a Scottish whipping boy, previous examples have been Hutton and Adam
Tbh hes not my favourite player and hes never been a first choice but hes played his part and done a job, hes an off the bench player for me, comes on makes an impact but when he starts games he seems to go missing, scottish semi he came on amd was good, same with the final, played his part in the euro run to.

To be honest, it goes beyond 'was the signing a successful player for Rangers'... and should take into consideration both value and profit.

The question really is: Which of Ross Wilson's signings were good for the business?

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​
*** Value for money signing. If high wages would be a miss, but could still move to Hit.

If Wilson is to be judged on first-team signings, should we also be judging him on academy players such as:

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

As well as considering transfers away from Rangers (transfers only, not contract expiry or loan returns):

Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​

Finally, contracts:

Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
Pretty good post, some players/parts I disagree with though. You’re first part I agree with, and the only failure that cost real money was Itten - who we got more than half back for.

How do you work out that for Dire Mebude?

Dire chose not to sign a professional contract, and we got a very good deal when he joined city. Significantly more than we would have been entitled to had we been given standard competition.

Then with Balogun, he’s already said it was Gio that didn’t want him to extend and there’s not much Wilson can do about it.

As I said though, pretty good post and I’d agree with most the players in the hit/miss/50/50 columns. Would class Sakala as a hit, but you could argue we should maybe have dealt with Burnley when they were willing to pay £4m in the summer.

Also like how you’ve highlighted he’s good at getting rid of the deadwood, rather than his predecessor who would let them leave for nothing or loan them till contract expiration.

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​

Finally, contracts:

Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
I like this it's very well set out may not agree with all the players but that's just my opinion.

Wouldn't say Sakala is a miss 12 goals and 7 assists in the minutes he got last year which worked out at 24 matches is a pretty good return for a squad player on a free. Not sure how he betters that record either to be honest? This season he's had less opportunities he's erratic but he produces numbers and should be in the team more than he is.

It comes down to timing and maximising profitability - hindsight is, of course, wonderful.

We sold Aribo for £6m, with 1 year left on his contract. I've no idea how much he was on, but pretending it was £20k a week, is about £1m a year in wages. Had he run down his contract and left for free (like it looks like Morelos and Kent might), I would argue that we would have not seen £1m worth of value from an extra year of Aribo.

So I find myself thinking, had we sold Aribo in the summer of 2021, after winning 55, would we have gotten more than £5m (his actual fee, less the £1m wages we paid for the following season) for him? The answer is probably yes, right?

If we'd sold him summer of 2021, for £10m, we're £5m better off and did we get £5m of value from Aribo in 21/22? Probably not.

Of course, you can only sell, when someone wants to buy, but his stock was at its highest summer of 21.
If it's a choice between cashing in or keeping your best players for a tilt at CL and retaining league then I know what I chose.

If we sold Aribo for £10m in summer 21 this place would have went ballistic.

As for your value for money estimate, he was miles and miles the player of the year in the league before the ACON, then recovered to play massive parts in the run to Seville.

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​

Finally, contracts:

Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed

On some of the misses Itten got the equivalent of 16 full games in minutes on the park and scored 8 goals. Poorly treated by Gerrard after a good pre-season had issues season before with settling etc think some are harsh on him. Kamberi was barely here given the season stopped for COVID so hard to even judge him. Zungu was crap, Zukowski has had 1 game and let's give Souttar a chance before writing the guy off.

It comes down to timing and maximising profitability - hindsight is, of course, wonderful.

We sold Aribo for £6m, with 1 year left on his contract. I've no idea how much he was on, but pretending it was £20k a week, is about £1m a year in wages. Had he run down his contract and left for free (like it looks like Morelos and Kent might), I would argue that we would have not seen £1m worth of value from an extra year of Aribo.

So I find myself thinking, had we sold Aribo in the summer of 2021, after winning 55, would we have gotten more than £5m (his actual fee, less the £1m wages we paid for the following season) for him? The answer is probably yes, right?

If we'd sold him summer of 2021, for £10m, we're £5m better off and did we get £5m of value from Aribo in 21/22? Probably not.

Of course, you can only sell, when someone wants to buy, but his stock was at its highest summer of 21.

Aribo's stock was highest after Seville.

He had a great opening half to last season - domestically, in Europe and internationally. The run to Seville further confirmed his qualities along with a flexibility to play a different role.

No one was paying 10m for him the prior Summer.

Tbh hes not my favourite player and hes never been a first choice but hes played his part and done a job, hes an off the bench player for me, comes on makes an impact but when he starts games he seems to go missing, scottish semi he came on amd was good, same with the final, played his part in the euro run to.
In terms of fee and wage for a squad player he is perfectly acceptable

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​

You have Souttar in misses but Oforboh too early to tell ? come on mate.

Same goes with Rabbi Matondo, never a footballer in a million years sadly.

If it's a choice between cashing in or keeping your best players for a tilt at CL and retaining league then I know what I chose.

If we sold Aribo for £10m in summer 21 this place would have went ballistic.

As for your value for money estimate, he was miles and miles the player of the year in the league before the ACON, then recovered to play massive parts in the run to Seville.
What seems to be totally missing from the discussion about whether Aribo should have been sold in 21 after 55 or retained until he was sold in 22 is that Gerrard is pretty well universally credited with demanding that everyone be retained after 55. Whether there were even any offers to buy him or others after 55 is moot given Gerrard got his way. Similarly any discussion of whether he should have been sold then is also moot.

I imagine it would be useful to subtlety let it be known to the support, assuming the club don’t want a repeat, that going forward each player will have a value that if matched will see the club willing to let him go purely as a business decision no matter who it is and even if the manager wishes him retained, unless the player is willing to sign an extended contract.

Aribo's stock was highest after Seville.

He had a great opening half to last season - domestically, in Europe and internationally. The run to Seville further confirmed his qualities along with a flexibility to play a different role.

No one was paying 10m for him the prior Summer.
He also had a min release clause in his contract which meant there was never a way to get more for him.

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​

Finally, contracts:

Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
Don't agree with all of this but very possibly the most fact based, and balanced view I have read on Wilson.

Tillman and Sands are being very generous. And don’t get me started on Roofe, all that money for his contribution is NOT a hit. A hit is what we’ll have to take to get rid of him.

And jury’s out on Souttar? Nah it’s not, he’s a miss. Wilson is about the only man in Scotland who thought signing the hospital patient was a good idea. I must admit I enjoyed watching him squirm at the AGM, even though he still got off light in my opinion.

I wouldn't describe Sakala as a "miss". I don't think he has been outstanding - but, at times, he has done OK. Inconsistent - but, so is "hit"Hagi or has Berry forgotten that due to his injury?

I wouldn't describe Sakala as a "miss". I don't think he has been outstanding - but, at times, he has done OK. Inconsistent - but, so is "hit"Hagi or has Berry forgotten that due to his injury?
Hagi was scoring or assisting almost every other week for 18 months before his injury, playing a part in winning the league, along with European success due to his pivotal goals and assists.

He’s quite clearly been a successful signing and is still only 23. The fact Wilson negotiated the fee down to £3m from £4.5m is also good.

Not really, he’s average at best. Never managed to hold down a regular place in the team and his end product is severely lacking.
Did anyone expect anything better? Hes done a job on minimal wages. Should hardly be put in the same miss bracket as a lot of that pile of junk.

Too early to judge Ross Wilson, overall; it also has to said that for a great many, he seems to be nothing more than a glorified chief scout.
How is it? He's had 4 big transfer windows and they have as whole been utterly woeful. (ill let him off with covid times). There seems absolutely zero plan in regard to the players we bring to the club.

How is it? He's had 4 big transfer windows and they have as whole been utterly woeful. (ill let him off with covid times). There seems absolutely zero plan in regard to the players we bring to the club.
It depends what we gather from his role. By placing emphasis on his four transfer windows you are obviously orientating solely on his role regarding transfers; is that fair though, in the appraisal of him overall?

It depends what we gather from his role. By placing emphasis on his four transfer windows you are obviously orientating solely on his role regarding transfers; is that fair though, in the appraisal of him overall?
Not just transfers but you would have to classify the appointing of Gio his big call and ultimately that has ended in failure too. We have not improved one bit in terms of player recruitment since he came to the club and his only managerial appointment was a failure. Is there a lot he's actually got correct yet?

Wilson has also made us far more professional when dealing with media/transfers.

Not one person in our fanbase or media, know if we’re signing someone till they’re holding a scarf.

Not just transfers but you would have to classify the appointing of Gio his big call and ultimately that has ended in failure too. We have not improved one bit in terms of player recruitment since he came to the club and his only managerial appointment was a failure. Is there a lot he's actually got correct yet?
This takes me back to my original point, I'm willing to be wrong, but I think it's too early to judge his performance; very few us, myself included, appear to fully appreciate the enormity of his role.

I don’t know one rangers fan who wasn’t in favour appointing gio.

If he didn’t appoint gio last year and someone else he’d have been slagged for it

Tillman and Sands are being very generous. And don’t get me started on Roofe, all that money for his contribution is NOT a hit. A hit is what we’ll have to take to get rid of him.

And jury’s out on Souttar? Nah it’s not, he’s a miss. Wilson is about the only man in Scotland who thought signing the hospital patient was a good idea. I must admit I enjoyed watching him squirm at the AGM, even though he still got off light in my opinion.
Plenty on here thought Souttar was a decent risk free signing, with no fee involved.

I think the idea was probably that we will have another three defenders who can play in the first team even if Souttar is injured and if we are struggling we can use King.

Didn’t legislate for all four of those defenders to be injured which was stupid considering Helander was already out long term.

This takes me back to my original point, I'm willing to be wrong, but I think it's too early to judge his performance; very few us, myself included, appear to fully appreciate the enormity of his role.
3 years in with no sign of any improvements? Not for me but I'm rather impatient.

I don’t know one rangers fan who wasn’t in favour appointing gio.

If he didn’t appoint gio last year and someone else he’d have been slagged for it
It's not for the support to decide though and we don't appoint a manager because the fans what them or will slag Ross Wilson. We appoint to build on the success of the previous manager and we appointed the wrong guy ultimately.

3 years in with no sign of any improvements? Not for me but I'm rather impatient.
Right now I can't argue on the behalf of Ross Wilson, not on the back of our CL and domestic form, and in that sense this encompasses my original point. When we criticise him, we are inclined to do so from a narrow perspective.

Right now I can't argue on the behalf of Ross Wilson, not on the back of our CL and domestic form, and in that sense this encompasses my original point. When we criticise him, we are inclined to do so from a narrow perspective.
If you can point out any examples of what he's done as a positive I may tend to agree but so far there's nothing for me.

Cant believe those defending Scott wright.

Nowhere near good enough and therefore a nailed on miss.
Hes had more of an impact that I expect. So for that reason he gets a pass mark. You could hardly say a nominal fee random from sheep country had us all having massive expectations.

You have Souttar in misses but Oforboh too early to tell ? come on mate.

Same goes with Rabbi Matondo, never a footballer in a million years sadly.

Souttar is perma injured, we knew that before we signed him.

Oforboh has a serious heart condition, that nobody could have predicted.

If Arsene Wenger had trouble defining the role of DOF, what hope do I have?
Ultimately he is a wage thief.

If, and I truly believe this to be the case, he played a prominent role in bringing Gio to Ibrox, then he is also a liability and imposter.

It is worth repeating, if that is indeed the case, then it beggars belief that he was allowed any say in bringing Michael Beale to the club.

Ultimately he is a wage thief.

If, and I truly believe this to be the case, he played a prominent role in bringing Gio to Ibrox, then he is also a liability and imposter.

It is worth repeating, if that is indeed the case, then it beggars belief that he was allowed any say in bringing Michael Beale to the club.
And if Beale proves to be a good manager he will have changed your mind.

Back