Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

While i totally back a full and independent public enquiry there should also be a criminal investigation opened up.

Serious crimes against children have occurred.
I think that's a very good point.

So far a number of individuals have been convicted and that's obviously good, but surely the authorities can see what's staring them in the face, that there was an organised ring in operation?

I mean you'd need to be blind not to have joined the dots by now.

Or maybe just unwilling to see it.

I think that's a very good point.

So far a number of individuals have been convicted and that's obviously good, but surely the authorities can see what's staring them in the face, that there was an organised ring in operation?

I mean you'd need to be blind not to have joined the dots by now.

Or maybe just unwilling to see it.
Some of these authorities in the past could be involved. That’s as far as we can go at the moment.

The entire Spotlight team show professional journalists just how it should be done. Research and more research. Post the facts. An absolutely outstanding expose from Spotlight to date. As said previously, 5 years, yes 5 YEARS spotlight have been searching out those b4stards. Let that sink in. Normal people spending their free time for 5 years and counting to help kids who were abused at a football club. Kudos.
This will probably go deeper than what many could imagine.

Some of these authorities in the past could be involved. That’s as far as we can go at the moment.
If there are they should be named & shamed and in the Dock, no-one should be above the Law , age and position is no excuse to prosecution.
As for that Club they should feel the full wrath of the SPFL/SFA (no laughing at the back) after all a Rangers player was sine died for the crime of a couple of red cards, this goes far and beyond even Penn State.

If there are they should be named & shamed and in the Dock, no-one should be above the Law , age and position is no excuse to prosecution.
As for that Club they should feel the full wrath of the SPFL/SFA (no laughing at the back) after all a Rangers player was sine died for the crime of a couple of red cards, this goes far and beyond even Penn State.
The SPL/SFA should feel the full wrath of an independent inquiry.

Enablers to a man.

I've a feeling that a certain Mr Tommy Burns is going to be coming out of this looking extremely bad...

The mind boggles as to why Burns ran to the side of and defended a paedophile and actually wanted to re-instate the man who only three years prior was thrown out for abusing boys.

The whole "Tommy good guy" myth needs to be re-visited and de-bunked.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction from the SMSM will be once the civil case finds them liable for the hanous offences committed by their employees and covered up by the club.
They will go for CFC repent the actions of the actions of the club in the past and be portrayed as THE victims is what I would guess their faith always rewrite history or try to. They will forget that the current regime including Liwell and Desmond have fought tooth and nail against the casee WHY? is it shame, guilt or the financial consequences or is it ongoing? Not the first they can confess their guilt sso I suspect it is one of the latter 2 reasons

They will go for CFC repent the actions of the actions of the club in the past and be portrayed as THE victims is what I would guess their faith always rewrite history or try to. They will forget that the current regime including Liwell and Desmond have fought tooth and nail against the casee WHY? is it shame, guilt or the financial consequences or is it ongoing? Not the first they can confess their guilt sso I suspect it is one of the latter 2 reasons

Its never been about the money. They are all about protectecting the brand and reputation.

This "seperate entity" BS shows this clearly.

Savile knew he was amongst apologists and enablers. He also knew high profile individuals within the Catholic Church in Scotland.
Make no mistake that these bastards were very well organised.
My only wish looking back since we started Spotlight is I wish we had a politician in Scotland that had the balls to stand up and take it on.
We definitely have journalists who aren’t scared of reporting it, but this issue needs full time commitment. Many journalists are tied to their editors which is unfortunate.
We need an inquiry. In the meantime we have no choice but to continue on the path we are on and bring it into the public domain.
One thing I will say, and I know this might be controversial due to recent news reports and threads on here. I will never have any respect for Tommy Burns or many other high profile individuals within that club. I say that with the knowledge that many of them could have stopped this and stood up for what’s right. They chose not to. Only they know why.
Like the manager my user name is taken from all Burns had to do was pick up a phone. Instead he ran to the side of a beast. Says it all really. :mad:

Obviously this is pure conjecture on my part, but IMO Tommy Burns had the haunted look of a victim rather than of an abuser. Possibly a touch of something similar to Stockholm Syndrome where he was concerned.
Doesn't excuse the fact that he enabled (or tried to) some of the perpetrators though.

That is horrendous reading on it's own yet some powers that be are still trying to close it off.
You’ve seen nothing yet. We’re working very closely with some very important people.
This could involve some very high profile individuals in Scotland. We can’t say anymore so I urge posters not to ask. All I’ll say is the Spotlight team have never been so busy.
As I’ve said previously, we will update this thread with what we can when we can.

Obviously this is pure conjecture on my part, but IMO Tommy Burns had the haunted look of a victim rather than of an abuser. Possibly a touch of something similar to Stockholm Syndrome where he was concerned.
Doesn't excuse the fact that he enabled (or tried to) some of the perpetrators though.
I've no idea what the facts are and won't get into speculation. But he always did have a strange haunted look about him.

I hope the Class Action victims/survivors all hold firm and do not accept a pay off like the gentleman who went before, as no doubt would need to sign NDA's then the secrets of that vile club would be kept secret, once in a courtroom then details can be reported the media would be negligent in their dereliction of duty to truthfully report and that would allow the awaiting WORLD PRESS to highlight and hopefully the Australians can feel embarrassed for getting involved in a tournament with that horrid establishment.

Try asking James Dornan MSP , Nicola Sturgeon First Minister along with her Southside Office They blank any emails on the subject. At Holyrood the questions are all vetted prior to commencing The other political parties and the Polis are complicit in the cover up by remaining silent.They're the ones who should be pushing for an enquiry or any action.

Last edited:
This is what Spotlight are up against. Along with some very strong allies in high positions, we’re going after every last one of them.
Whether it be judges, politicians etc., we’ll hunt them down.
What a mess our country is in.
In Spotlight we trust . Outstanding work by the team , as always .
Their time IS coming .
Justice WILL be done .
All the respect in the world to Spotlight .

You’ve seen nothing yet. We’re working very closely with some very important people.
This could involve some very high profile individuals in Scotland. We can’t say anymore so I urge posters not to ask. All I’ll say is the Spotlight team have never been so busy.
As I’ve said previously, we will update this thread with what we can when we can.
How can we help? Genuinely. I mean beyond writing to/emailing MPs/MSPs who've already picked their sides or their rock to hide behind.

More power to Spotlight. For good reason, ordinary punters just wanna see justice done.

I've a feeling that a certain Mr Tommy Burns is going to be coming out of this looking extremely bad...
You are probably correct on that assumption but I bet a penny to a pound that they use all the deceased employees of that club as there defence Burns , the kit man & wait for it the dementia card for Kelly & Mcginn .

I hope 2023 is a big year for the survivors

How can we help? Genuinely. I mean beyond writing to/emailing MPs/MSPs who've already picked their sides or their rock to hide behind.

More power to Spotlight. For good reason, ordinary punters just wanna see justice done.
Quite simply by sharing our research. MSP’s mostly return emails with standard replies. There will come a time when they can’t ignore us. And hopefully some are forced to answer questions under oath for what they knew.

Try asking James Dornan MSP , Nicola Sturgeon First Minister along with her Southside Office They blank any emails on the subject. At Holyrood the questions are all vetted prior to commencing The other political parties and the Polis are complicit in the cover up by remaining silent.They're the ones who should be pushing for an enquiry or any action.
Perhaps the situation with SNP MP Patrick Grady and Chief Whip is indicative of their attitude towards perpetrators of sexual acts.
A commons watchdog found him Grady indulged in sexual misconduct by touching and stroking a a teenagers neck hair and back.
He got a 2 day Commons ban and suspended for 6 months by the party.
He has had his membership of the SNP reinstated and free to stand as an SNP candidate at the next election.
Many parallels with the situation at CFC in how the guilty party is treated and brought back into the fold and perhaps indicative of their reluctance to instigate any meaningful and fair/impartial action/investigation against them.

Last edited:
What horrible revelations within that post, it condemns the political and judicial establishment, Police Scotland, those responsible for Scottish council childcare and Scottish football governing bodies, as well as one particular football club for not only the abuse of children, but the acceptance, concealnent, denial and condoning of it over more than 50 years.
It looks like the John Halley guy has grasped the enormity of the issue in our country, I hope his health is restored and he is allowed to continue to pursue his lines of investigation.
I just hope that one day everyone, will receive the justice they deserve, and that the involvement of the Spotlight group in achieving this is acknowledged as absolutely critical.

What horrible revelations within that post, it condemns the political and judicial establishment, Police Scotland, those responsible for Scottish council childcare and Scottish football governing bodies, as well as one particular football club for not only the abuse of children, but the acceptance, concealnent, denial and condoning of it over more than 50 years.
It looks like the John Halley guy has grasped the enormity of the issue in our country, I hope his health is restored and he is allowed to continue to pursue his lines of investigation.
I just hope that one day everyone, will receive the justice they deserve, and that the involvement of the Spotlight group in achieving this is acknowledged as absolutely critical.

There’s a reason why we’re posting this year’s review in separate months in this thread.
We understand that most of you have followed every Spotlight post since we started, but we gain new followers now on a daily basis. So it gives them a chance to look back on the thread and see each individual post.
If anyone has any questions about any post then please feel free to ask us. We can’t thank you enough for your kind comments and the offers of assistance.
The people that have helped us (and you know who you are) then all we can say is thank you.
I don’t want to sound patronising but please remember this. Spotlight exists for one reason. For the voices to be heard that suffered at the hands of that club. Spotlight will fight to the end no matter how long it takes.
Any normal human being would do the same. Unfortunately in our wee country we are classed as enemies of the state (if that’s the correct term)
I know that if you had heard the personal accounts that Spotlight have heard, and how it’s affected these gentlemen and their families then you would do the same.
This takes time and effort from a group of people that are just like you. We’re nothing special. We just decided to take it on.
What makes us proud is that people are listening. Not only journalists, but others use our research.
Nobody took us seriously when we started. Times have changed. The reason Spotlight continues is we state facts.
We thank you for all your kind words and please remember the people who suffered. A lot of them are on this forum.

Back