Thistle's sale of tickets going well

When they came up in season 95-96 they got the full front of the Broomie for their first game - rapidly retreated into the corner section.

On 2001 they played us in a Cup Semi Final - thousands of them there that day - I had to walk through them and it was maw, paw and the weans - and grwandparents! Maybe 15/20,000 of them?

You're missing the point. Im referring to fans going to see their team in novel situations, like european finals. Like I said, a novelty.

You mentioned our 3rd european final in 11 years claiming that means the finals weren't a novelty. I asked how many went to the 1st two finals. You dont know and neither do I but it wasnt large numbers therefore going to Barcelona was a novelty.

Im responding to another poster asking if fans of "diddy" teams are just glory hunters. Im saying they're just like us. They go in numbers to big games like cup finals because its outwith the norm. However, they dont travel in numbers if they know they've no chance of winning. And that's why so few come to Ibrox. They're not glory hunters. They just know they're almost certainly going to lose.
I have never regarding going to see Rangers as a ' novelty'
'Like us, they only go to big games like Cup Finals ' Really

When they came up in season 95-96 they got the full front of the Broomie for their first game - rapidly retreated into the corner section.

On 2001 they played us in a Cup Semi Final - thousands of them there that day - I had to walk through them and it was maw, paw and the weans - and grwandparents! Maybe 15/20,000 of them?
2002 and it was about 15k

Been told off a copper before it’s much harder to police the smaller allocations, particularly us at Parkhead
Load of nonsense that, adding an extra 7000 Rangers fans doesn't make it easier.

It's something people who want the allocation increased say in some desperate attempt to try and justify the larger allocations.

Once again missing the point. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why so few fans of the likes of St Johnstone come to Ibrox?
I have no idea as I only care about Rangers, are you not one of the guys that was complaining you couldn't get into NEH on Saturday

Once again missing the point. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why so few fans of the likes of St Johnstone come to Ibrox?
You were one of the ones complaining because you didn't have a match ticket, was it not a big enough game for you?
Or do you just go to Cup Finals as a novelty?

Still remember a cup fixture where hibs had full broomloan, near enough filled it and beat us 3-0. Ivan sproule hat trick.

Good to see clubs take big allocations in cup games, adds to the atmosphere!
Sproule hat trick was the 3-0 defeat in the league at Ibrox, earlier that season.

Load of nonsense that, adding an extra 7000 Rangers fans doesn't make it easier.

It's something people who want the allocation increased say in some desperate attempt to try and justify the larger allocations.
In terms of logistics before and after the game, it’s much easier. I didn’t say I wanted it, if so your dog would’ve been justified but not in this instance.
The police operation before and after games is much more difficult because it’s harder to ensure the safety of the small group

I say fair play to them. Few people on here with snyd comments which in my opinion are unfair. Not often they get to go to "big" stadiums so I say good on them.

You were one of the ones complaining because you didn't have a match ticket, was it not a big enough game for you?
Or do you just go to Cup Finals as a novelty?

Wrong again. Ive never complained about not having a ticket.

I even flew to Manchester from Australia without a ticket. I didnt want one. I just wanted to be there with 200,000 others.

I think this thread is a bit too complicated for you.

Don’t mind them having a bigger allocation as it’s unlikely to be a sellout. I say this as someone who would like more away tickets to be available for any set of fans (including us).

Fair play, from memory they have had more than a few good crowds at Ibrox in their more recent visits.

Wrong again. Ive never complained about not having a ticket.

I even flew to Manchester from Australia without a ticket. I didnt want one. I just wanted to be there with 200,000 others.

I think this thread is a bit too complicated for you.
You just continue to go to 'novelty games' like Barcelona and Manchester

I know a few thistles guys not these hipster doorknobs and they have been saying they are looking forward to it as they will bring a few more than usual. Yes it may only be a few subway stops away or maws das n wains however if it is wains least they are getting their kid into supporting a team instead of letting them run riot on the streets or worse support shite across the city or down south.

Mind Peterhead brought good few thousand if I remember correctly, boyd hat trick and a worldy from Charlie Adam

Ayr utd too, though long gone are the days of hearts filling the lower broomie

Because at some point they could be drawn against us at the Piggery.

A sensible solution would be to have an 'agreement' that in the event of being drawn together at either Ibrox or SavilleDome that league allocations would be applied.

Keeps it simple in either scenario.
That could be years or decades down the line. You can count on the one hand the amount of times Rangers have played Celtic at Ibrox or Parkhead in the cup in the last 40 years (excluding when either stadium was used as a Hampden substitute and the crowd was 50/50).

If they’re entitled to it, they’ll take it. They’re not going to come to an agreement to take 800 tickets when they’re allowed up to 10,000, on the off chance they could get a home tie in 5-10 years time. It’s just not going to happen.

Police can step in on safety grounds but both teams would be hard pushed to argue safety when those allocations were in place for 20+ years
Correct. There’s a 50/50 split at Hampden coming up in a months time, and there’s examples of dominant home crowds and 7k allocations, so as long as the segregation is right there won’t be a problem.

You're missing the point. Im referring to fans going to see their team in novel situations, like european finals. Like I said, a novelty.

You mentioned our 3rd european final in 11 years claiming that means the finals weren't a novelty. I asked how many went to the 1st two finals. You dont know and neither do I but it wasnt large numbers therefore going to Barcelona was a novelty.

Im responding to another poster asking if fans of "diddy" teams are just glory hunters. Im saying they're just like us. They go in numbers to big games like cup finals because its outwith the norm. However, they dont travel in numbers if they know they've no chance of winning. And that's why so few come to Ibrox. They're not glory hunters. They just know they're almost certainly going to lose.
I think you're being a tad harsh regards the first two finals. Fans travelling in numbers to games in Europe in the 1960s was mostly unheard of and mostly outwith the reach of the normal working class punter. Even forign holidays were in their infancy.

There is the famous story of Andy Bain, Joe Welsh and Ross Bowie I think travelling to Bratislava in 1959/60? And being given an armed guard straight to the stadium from the border. But we're talking about guys with that wee, bit extra dosh.

I’d rather have a top league with teams like Dunfermline, Ayr, Partick, Falkirk, Morton that would bring decent away crowds than pish like ross county
I agree, although the only argument I would have with that is that I don’t want clubs in the top league that have “all weather” (no laughing at the back) pitches.

Which is sill a smaller percentage, which pisses me off. We should press for the same percentage every time and if they dont agree then reduce their away tickets even ore to represent the percentage they give us.
Where does it stop? If we had a 100k stadium then we’d need to give them 15k tickets?

I think the thing that really pisses most of our fanbase with a view on this is that we have a smaller stadium, and the way it’s laid out means we get a crappy view at Parkhead.

That’s part of the reason the board did what they did 5 years ago, to take that away from them as having a full stand at Ibrox was more of an advantage.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens when we inevitably draw each other in an earlier round of the SC. Away team can request up to 20%. Obviously won't get that much, but I wonder if they will approve the old allocation.
Remember Aberdeen away.

We just got our normal small allocation.

They won’t request it for the piggery.

I think you're being a tad harsh regards the first two finals. Fans travelling in numbers to games in Europe in the 1960s was mostly unheard of and mostly outwith the reach of the normal working class punter. Even forign holidays were in their infancy.

There is the famous story of Andy Bain, Joe Welsh and Ross Bowie I think travelling to Bratislava in 1959/60? And being given an armed guard straight to the stadium from the border. But we're talking about guys with that wee, bit extra dosh.

My post was in response to another poster claiming european finals were not a "novelty" for our fans as we'd had 3 in 11 years. My response was to highlight how few attended the first 2 and therefore the 3rd was a "novelty". Im not criticising our fans for not attending the first 2. Im just pointing out that few did.

This poster jumped in half way through a discussion about why so few away fans come to Ibrox. I said it was because they knew they'd little chance of winning. Another poster asked if they were glory hunters and I pointed out they were no different to us by citing the huge numbers we took to Barcelona and Manchester. Big games attract big crowds because they are a "novelty".

I think the discussion was a bit too complicated for him.

We shall enjoy the melodic, "Hello Hello how do you do" from the singing section whilst being liberally sprinkled with aubergine and chickpea salad from their ultras.

Bring it on!

Back