Ryan Kent - The Clash of Opinions

Should he stay or should he go?

• Kent to stay at Rangers next season

Votes: 803 70.6%
  • Kent to leave Rangers in the Summer

Votes: 335 29.4%

• Total voters

ForGodForCountryForever

This is on the grounds of all things being equal and its a straight which would you prefer?

Up until Beale came in I was firmly of the opinion Ryan Kent should go, even with the regrettable loss of a transfer fee.

He seemed a shadow of his former self and the lack of consistency which had often been an issue had given way to a full collapse of form.

I think since the change of Manager he more than anyone has improved his game. While I tip the hat to Fashion Jr for his form and contributions I feel in his case it was simply he had never been given a real chance in the team and subsequently he was showing what he was always capable of.

In Kent's case he has not only improved his own performances, he seems to have rediscovered the concept of teamwork and covers far more ground across the pitch which is helping to carry ball, link the play and create space. All of which is red meat for our new Midfield and Forward lines.

On that note there is no doubt the introduction of Cantwell and Raskin has energised and upgraded Kent and the other forwards with the new drive and determination to get the ball forward quicker and more directly but credit where its due, Kent has played his part and looks a very useful part of that machine.

Kent seems a quite guy and rarely appears in the media, even on the pitch its not easy to gauge his thinking so its anyone's guess how much he would like to remain or has had enough and wants to move on. After the length of time hes been here, his age arriving then and career stage now, whatever he decides its fair enough and if he goes he should go with thanks and best wishes.

Putting aside the question of the lost fee from a sale and the threat of Matondo nailing down the LW shirt, I think it would now be a shame if Kent leaves and we dont get to see him in a proper Beale Team. If hes upgraded this much since just Cantwell and Raskin came in , think what he may be able to do in a fully constructed Beale XI.

I’m edging towards him staying but if he goes then it is not the end of the world

A player that has lots of good attributes but lacks some of the main ones that matter

Honestly don't see why people don't rate him.

Obviously could improve, bit compared to wright, sakala, matondo.. He's streets ahead and effectively now a bosman signing

We would be bursting with joy if we signed the exact same player for free from another club next season

I’d like Kent to stay as he’s a far better performer under Beale and far more likely to make a meaningful contribution with the free role he is given. As a result he will also become a more sellable asset if he is contracted to Rangers again for another few years. Best case - we get a better version of Kent for a few more years under Beale. Worst case - he signs on, we get a more positive season from him next year and then he leaves for a fee next summer rather than on a free transfer this summer.

Kent is one of the players we need, to keep our tempo up,
Half our team still want to play slow slow quick slow slow.
But we are improving. (Slowly)

Part of me wants to cut losses but frankly we don't have enough options creatively - particularly with our fitness levels .

I talk to a lot of guys that are just fed up of that 'Gerrard' team and want shot of as many of them as possible - Kent being one of the main sources of frustration. I don't disagree, it's hard to make a case for guys who are playing well below their potential.

We've huffed and puffed domestically for 2 seasons now - and while Europe was tremendous last year, the league is undoubtedly our bread and butter (I genuinely feel that more than ever now tbh).

New system, new players and a completely new attitude is required. To be honest I think Beale is driving for just that.

Kent was a huge upgrade for Rangers when he first arrived. That ability to beat a man and draw defenders was something we were screaming out for at the time.

While he's had some outstanding moments in our colours (especially in Europe) the hard truth is at the stage we are at now, he doesn't contribute nearly enough where we need it most.
At the sharp end!

For such a naturally gifted footballer his goal ratio is embarrassing in Scotland. If we are to get back to where we belong, we really do need to replace the likes of Kent with players who can regularly do the business where and when it matters.

I've taken stick on here for this before but I'll say it again. This is a player who should have been moved on for profit while his stock was high. I lay the blame for that squarely at the feet of Ross Wilson. For us to be in a position where a player like Ryan Kent can possibly walk away from Rangers for nothing is criminally negligent.

Sure he could be offered a new deal and it wouldn't be the worst case scenario but where does that leave us regards increasing the goal threat from that position next season. He's a favourite with good reason because the ability is there ( there's no doubt) but I can only reiterate we desperately need more in terms of goals from that position.

Clearly the problem ain't all on one player but imo It's a huge reason why we're regularly hanging on for 3 points where we really should be out of of sight. We need more goals! Until such times we fix this with different personnel I genuinely fear the longer we will toil to be champions again.

If only he could shoot .
We wont be able to afford a better replacement. Look what £3M for Rabbi Mattondo got us. Any player with the skill of Kent will cost us a fortune, which we dont have.

kent has been a brilliant player, but IMO if he stays another season he isnt really thinking of his career goals if he has any

Ideally we should let him go and freshen up the team.Finances will dictate what happens both with an eye to a future financial return for Kent and in replacing players in the other positions.

Can't force him out or sell at a loss.
Agree on first point and in fairness to Kent hehas never really openly angled for a move as far as I recall. On the second point, letting him go for nil at the end of the contract means we have let him go for a 100% loss. Effectively cutting the nose off to spite the face.

If he was a goal scorer he wouldn't be at rangers! Having said that I think he's a perfect fit for rangers with beale in charge, its just unfortunate that most of the teams we play don't even try & win so our game instead of free flowing football is just about breaking them down.

Not for me, we need someoene to chip in with 10 to 15 goals per season playing in our front line.

Kent will never achieve that, time to get someone in who can.

His constant driblling across the park instead of towards the goal is going to see me in an early grave.

Not saying he isn't a good player and doesn't contribute but we need more from someone playing in that position.

This in spades.
Letting a player we spent a large outlay on leave for zip is tantamount to fiscal suicide!
We should keep Kent because he's good enough to help us win the league or let him go if he's not.

We shouldn't be keeping players purely because we spent money on them and we want to try and claw some of it back.

6goals in nearly 90games.
eni-aluko-itv.jpg

"I mean do the math, that's almost a goal a game"

I don’t see how we can afford to replace him if he goes for free. It’s a reasonable assumption in my head than any replacement will be a downgrade. The frustration is that he’s not always so effective against teams who choose to defend deep and narrow where there’s limited space to exploit, and we come up against this regularly. He is however, a big game player and he’s shown that in Europe and against Celtic repeatedly. I just think overall we’re a worse team without him.

I hope we offer Kent a new contract and he signs it. He is a cracking player and genuinely causes opposition headaches.

People would be completely fine with Kent re-signing if we originally signed him for free instead of the reported £7 million.

Probably the most talented player at the club. If you look coldly at his stats his numbers aren't great at all but he's such a threat to the opposition that they'll focus on him which should create space for other players. I'd happily sign him on a new deal and look to move on those who don't contribute at all.

My biggest issue with Kent is that he doesn’t attack the back post enough. Amount of times there is space there and nobody is there. Drives me mad
1 of mine as well. When he's not involved in the attack against a packed defence he hovers around the 18 yard box instead of getting into the box and getting another option in the box.

I'd let him go.

If he stays then it's a massive jump in wages and quite honestly he doesn't deliver anywhere near enough to justify it.

On his day he's a wonderful player but we're lucky if we see that half a dozen times a season. Throw in his abysmal showing in front of goal and he simply does not justify the outlay.

We cannot go another season of chucking Kent money for 3 goals a season. We'll be continually playing catch up with that mob if we persist with that.

Everyone of their front four is in double figures. The guy we paid the most money for has 6 goals in 85 games. Why is this even a discussion ?

Kent stays and we're paying him a minimum of £30k a week. That's £6m over a 4 year contract. Are we really suggesting we can't find someone to play that position who can't deliver us more than 3 goals a season for that money or less ?

Can't let £7m walk out the door for nothing regardless of his performances.

Even not considered that side of it keeping him is a no brainer for me.

Back