New champions League format - Good or Bad for us?

It's just one big table for the groups.

The top eight go directly through to the round of 16 and will be seeded in the draw. Clubs placed 9th to 24th will go into two-legged playoffs, with the winners going through as unseeded teams and the losers going out. There will be no dropdown of teams into the Europa League knockout rounds as of 2024-25. Clubs ranked 25th to 36th will be eliminated from Europe immediately
It’s totally shite for all but the top teams with all the money. Hopefully some play off / drop down system into the Europa League will be put in place after a year or two I.e. those teams who lose out from the playoffs between teams 9 to 24 drop down

It's just one big table for the groups.

The top eight go directly through to the round of 16 and will be seeded in the draw. Clubs placed 9th to 24th will go into two-legged playoffs, with the winners going through as unseeded teams and the losers going out. There will be no dropdown of teams into the Europa League knockout rounds as of 2024-25. Clubs ranked 25th to 36th will be eliminated from Europe immediately
There's no joy in that for us. They've ruined the competition.

Deliberately designed to be shite (IMO), so they can re-structure in line with the super league a few years down the line.

If so then I hope it's the first step to a European league set up above all national leagues.

It's the only chance we've ever got of competing, but also getting out of the bowling club that is Scottish Football.

Would love to see the top 64 teams in the coefficient being brought into 3 leagues. Said it on here before but using the existing competition names and having a 20-20-24 structure with a pyramid to national leagues would be amazing for us.

I've only seen it really through FM

Couple of positives - an extra home game is good for cash of course. But also, you have a situation where under the new group we'd play teams out the same seeding pot as ourselves. Which is a better chance of picking up a result, and therefore cash. Our seeding currently we may sneak into Pot 3, so we'd have 2 games against similar level, and 2 against pot 4 teams.

Depending how it all works out, there may well be a half decent chance of sneaking into the top 24, and it seems that theres decent money on offer in the play off round

No drop down is a negative for us of course - pretty much solidifies that Seville was likely the last chance we had to win a European Trophy.

Europa League is moving to exactly the same format I believe, you drop into it from qualifiers at least. So we may see a chance in there, but who knows

Couple of positives - an extra home game is good for cash of course. But also, you have a situation where under the new group we'd play teams out the same seeding pot as ourselves. Which is a better chance of picking up a result, and therefore cash. Our seeding currently we may sneak into Pot 3, so we'd have 2 games against similar level, and 2 against pot 4 teams.

Depending how it all works out, there may well be a half decent chance of sneaking into the top 24, and it seems that theres decent money on offer in the play off round

No drop down is a negative for us of course - pretty much solidifies that Seville was likely the last chance we had to win a European Trophy.

Europa League is moving to exactly the same format I believe, you drop into it from qualifiers at least. So we may see a chance in there, but who knows
Edited cuz im a fanny.

Last edited:
and also what if the coefficient is low and we are back in the qualifying rounds ?

its extra games all in.

am not liking the vibe from it and hopefully IMO its ditched before it takes shape.
You’re creating the conditions to dislike them.
What if we needed to go back to where we were with Gerrard and the four qualifying games.
If we’ve got extra qualifying to do, that’s a problem of our own making.

You’re creating the conditions to dislike them.
What if we needed to go back to where we were with Gerrard and the four qualifying games.
If we’ve got extra qualifying to do, that’s a problem of our own making.
that will be sore lol

No way will the SPFL cut out 2 OF games, the TV companies would drop them like a hot coal.
Might be an opportunity to sell our own games.
I’m more and more convinced that the “provincial” clubs could make more each season selling their home games against us, and them, than they’d get from the current, and worsening, deal.

my opinion is dont look at the money side of this new arrangement

Personally I feel like this gives us a better chance of progressing compared to playing 6 games against 3 teams.

my opinion is dont look at the money side of this new arrangement
Hate to break it to you, but in the footballing world we live in these days - we have to

Point and case is entirely made by how "little" we made in the run to Seville compared to what we'd have made in a shambolic UCL appearance this year...

Hate to break it to you, but in the footballing world we live in these days - we have to

Point and case is entirely made by how "little" we made in the run to Seville compared to what we'd have made in a shambolic UCL appearance this year...
I mean from a fan view G

a poster above said it well

I mean from a fan view G

a poster above said it well
Biggest difference is that we'd be looking at a different level of opposition to a point though

You're also only playing each team once. From a fans view, I think many of us would far rather some glamour games with the chance of some points from some of the other games

I can't see much glamour in the Europa League moving forward, but I could be wrong

Biggest difference is that we'd be looking at a different level of opposition to a point though

You're also only playing each team once. From a fans view, I think many of us would far rather some glamour games with the chance of some points from some of the other games

I can't see much glamour in the Europa League moving forward, but I could be wrong
But what strikes me more than anything is extra game's and I believe those already protesting would be lenient if the traditional 6 game's
But the format is horrible to begin with either 6v8 or 10.

Suppose we just need to see how it pans out but not looking forward to it

But what strikes me more than anything is extra game's and I believe those already protesting would be lenient if the traditional 6 game's
But the format is horrible to begin with either 6v8 or 10.

Suppose we just need to see how it pans out but not looking forward to it
2 extra games are early in the new year too I believe...

Exactly when you want them...

that will be sore lol

Loads of qualifiers again is a very real possibility unless Scottish teams start doing better in Europe sharp.

All these other countries below us are making the most of the conference league coefficient points and we’ve got 5 teams, 3 of which always achieve close to zero (not that we covered ourselves in glory this season tbf)

Over last two seasons since ECL inception (even with Seville) we would be way down in 18th:

Champions - 3 qualifiers for CL
2nd - 4 qualifiers for EL
3rd & CW - 3 qualifiers for ECL.

Loads of qualifiers again is a very real possibility unless Scottish teams start doing better in Europe sharp.

All these other countries below us are making the most of the conference league coefficient points and we’ve got 5 teams, 3 of which always achieve close to zero (not that we covered ourselves in glory this season tbf)

Over last two seasons since ECL inception (even with Seville) we would be way down in 18th:

Just doesn't make good reading eh

Hard to see how anything that corrupt mob comes up with that would benefit anyone outside the supposed top 5 leagues.

Deary me. That's really grim reading.

I assume this means the CL playoff qualifying games will be tougher with this new format too?

Finding it difficult to get my head round if im being honest, only seen a summary on Twitter

If its another 4 games plus qualifying we could be starting in Europe before we finish the previous years league
As usual they think it will benefit the big teams
We should have let them break away to their 'super league' and left the rest of the clubs who live in the real world outwith the big five to have a proper, fair and competative European trophy/trophies.

far too much football
It is. I can't see it lasting. I'm sure Klopp and a few others were having a moan about it when it was first introduced but it seems to have went quiet on that front.

it's basically the Super League. It'll be near impossible for Champions from league's like ours to qualify for it.

It is. I can't see it lasting. I'm sure Klopp and a few others were having a moan about it when it was first introduced but it seems to have went quiet on that front.

it's basically the Super League. It'll be near impossible for Champions from league's like ours to qualify for it.
I expect that to restart

Having played it on football manager I think it works well.

More chances to get a glamour tie and more games against lower ranked teams to have a chance of celebrating wins (or goals if this season is anything to go by…)

The last game tends to have importance for most of the teams in terms of qualification so I can imagine a few interesting results against the odds.

The negative will be too many games for the squad and as always, more cost to the support. In ST terms, it’s one more home game in the groups really but fans that go to every game home and away will really feel it.

Back