New champions League format - Good or Bad for us?

nope, the format is still wrong and will over stretch us(football fixture wise) and being seeded or not is irrelevant .
Clearly it's relevant and you're talking nonsense. Honestly nothing to add if you truly think being seeded or not is irrelevant :D

I'm not a fan of the 8 different fixtures because it defeats the purpose of a league where you're supposed to play the same teams home and away, but really we're not going to get a much harder draw than we did this season in the current format.

In terms of qualification chances it's really not that different from the current format. The top 8 in the new format replace the old group winners, 9-16 replace the runners up and 17-24 instead of dropping to the Europa get to stay in the CL.

Essentially you get more European football if you're among the best 24 teams in the competition, which is the same as the current setup.

Loads of qualifiers again is a very real possibility unless Scottish teams start doing better in Europe sharp.

All these other countries below us are making the most of the conference league coefficient points and we’ve got 5 teams, 3 of which always achieve close to zero (not that we covered ourselves in glory this season tbf)

Over last two seasons since ECL inception (even with Seville) we would be way down in 18th:

Champions - 3 qualifiers for CL
2nd - 4 qualifiers for EL
3rd & CW - 3 qualifiers for ECL.
Jeezo - grim if it's 3 qualifiers even as champions.
Sounds like it will be really difficult to even get there
Even more galling to let them have two years straight into the groups
I assume about half of the 36 places will go automatically to teams in the big 5 leagues?

Eliminating the Europa drop out is bad for us, but the extra home game will cover that potential extra revenue, its a change for the bigger teams making it even harder for lower ranked teams to get through.

nope, the format is still wrong and will over stretch us(football fixture wise) and being seeded or not is irrelevant .
The format can still be wrong but being seeded is still relevant. Easier fixtures makes it easier to rotate the squad.

Deary me. That's really grim reading.

I assume this means the CL playoff qualifying games will be tougher with this new format too?
The playoffs and qualifiers are largely the same format so no more difficult.

If anything given a couple of the bigger countries will get an automatic slot it should be easier (we’d avoid someone like PSV last year, for example, as they’d already be in)

Jeezo - grim if it's 3 qualifiers even as champions.
Sounds like it will be really difficult to even get there
Even more galling to let them have two years straight into the groups
I assume about half of the 36 places will go automatically to teams in the big 5 leagues?
It’s more or less the same as just now.

But extra four places will also be going to the bigger countries too.

Off topic a bit, but do we go into the CL 3rd qualifier again next season as a seeded team?

Having played it on football manager I think it works well.

More chances to get a glamour tie and more games against lower ranked teams to have a chance of celebrating wins (or goals if this season is anything to go by…)

The last game tends to have importance for most of the teams in terms of qualification so I can imagine a few interesting results against the odds.

The negative will be too many games for the squad and as always, more cost to the support. In ST terms, it’s one more home game in the groups really but fans that go to every game home and away will really feel it.
Agreed. It’s a good format and folk thinking game day 7/8 pointless will soon find out.
Every team still seeded in pots and play 2 from each pot so in essence two easier games. Would imagine we’d be qualifying for the round of 24 regularly.

We get into Europe the same as we do just now. Finish the league or come second. Depending on our coefficient we may or may not play qualifiers

There’s huge opportunity for hearts and hibs to also make the conference which is also moving to the one league format
@OohAhHuistra found him

any update on if we need to play Qualifiying rounds when new format is in place?

I've been a big fan of it when I've been playing with it in Football Manager to be honest haha. Think we'll benefit from the new format a fair bit, but if there's no knockdown to the Europa League it probably puts our chances of a European trophy down very significantly.

Oh well at least it will make the club money. Trophies? now we may find out what it's like being, say a Newcastle or West Ham supporter.

any update on if we need to play Qualifiying rounds when new format is in place?
The champion likely not, the runner up absolutely

It also looks like we'd have 2 in Europa League qualifying, and 1 in conference league qualifying as opposed to currently the other way round

Having more games is great, but it dilutes the format. I remember it was just for champions.

Think as with the WC, it will get interesting after the group stages.

It will be a poor format for the neutral, but definitely a benefit for us. More games and more money. Its that simple. Its not like we are competing to win the thing, so the floor benefits are whats most important to us.

It will be a poor format for the neutral, but definitely a benefit for us. More games and more money. Its that simple. Its not like we are competing to win the thing, so the floor benefits are whats most important to us.
Am opposite, more games aint good
you have a schedule to keep , any increase in group stage fixtures is bad

Am opposite, more games aint good
you have a schedule to keep , any increase in group stage fixtures is bad

Fair dues mate, but 2 additional games with something like £6M at stake for 2 wins, is vital to the club.

WIth the increased number of teams in it, its far more likely both us and the mhanks will be in it together most years - so the increased schedule should be mitigated if both teams play the same number of games.

Fair dues mate, but 2 additional games with something like £6M at stake for 2 wins, is vital to the club.

WIth the increased number of teams in it, its far more likely both us and the mhanks will be in it together most years - so the increased schedule should be mitigated if both teams play the same number of games.
Whether we are, or aren't both in that, the UEL is also going to 8 games. And we'll both be in or or the other of them

I think it improves things for us.

You play 2 x Pot 1; 2 x Pot 2; 2 x Pot 3 and 2 x Pot 4.

We should have a reasonable expectation to be able to win 4 games (Pot 3 and 4).

Doing that would give a good chance to be in the top 24 of the league and progress to the next phase.

Must be a decent chance there will be a fair few dead rubbers this way? On the other hand the final night/s could be a bit crackers if it comes down to goal difference to make the top 24? They ain’t all going to kick off at same time either are they? Bound to be an advantage playing knowing what you need to do.

Must be a decent chance there will be a fair few dead rubbers this way? On the other hand the final night/s could be a bit crackers if it comes down to goal difference to make the top 24? They ain’t all going to kick off at same time either are they? Bound to be an advantage playing knowing what you need to do.
did admit id prefer it to be original 6 games rather than 8
not a fan of the increase, especially if QRs are needed

with the thread recently stating our automatic UCL group stage is in doubt
will this new format still be good?

with the thread recently stating our automatic UCL group stage is in doubt
will this new format still be good?
As Champions, we'd have 1 qualifier to negotiate, and that'd be against another Champion. Keep the coefficient up and we'd still have a decent chance of not having to play it

If the UCL Title Holder, qualifies through their domestic league, then the highest ranked Champion Club in the 5 year coefficient that is in the qualifiers gets that automatic group stage spot

2nd place, would have 3 rounds of qualifiers to negotiate though as opposed to the current 2

As Champions, we'd have 1 qualifier to negotiate, and that'd be against another Champion. Keep the coefficient up and we'd still have a decent chance of not having to play it

If the UCL Title Holder, qualifies through their domestic league, then the highest ranked Champion Club in the 5 year coefficient that is in the qualifiers gets that automatic group stage spot

2nd place, would have 3 rounds of qualifiers to negotiate though as opposed to the current 2
7 games before december
jesus

7 games before december
jesus
December?

2nd would be 12 European games before Christmas. Even Champions having to qualify would be 8

Then 2 in January

I haven't seen a drop down graphic lately for the new format. But this season, if you entered in QR2, you had to win a tie to be certain of Group Stage football

December?

2nd would be 12 European games before Christmas. Even Champions having to qualify would be 8

Then 2 in January

I haven't seen a drop down graphic lately for the new format. But this season, if you entered in QR2, you had to win a tie to be certain of Group Stage football
you know how to twist the knife pal lol

The obvious flaw in the new format is that although everyone will be ranked in one big league of 36 teams, you only play 8 of the other 35 clubs in the league.

Therefore, it’s bonkers to look at the league standings after all 8 matches have been played and assume it’s in any way an accurate summation of who the best teams are, and hence which sides get to progress to the last 16 or play off round.

UEFA shat the bed when the breakaway ESL was announced, panicked and came up with this heap of crap.

The obvious flaw in the new format is that although everyone will be ranked in one big league of 36 teams, you only play 8 of the other 35 clubs in the league.

Therefore, it’s bonkers to look at the league standings after all 8 matches have been played and assume it’s in any way an accurate summation of who the best teams are, and hence which sides get to progress to the last 16 or play off round.

UEFA shat the bed when the breakaway ESL was announced, panicked and came up with this heap of crap.
really hope it falls flat on its face

Give the champions of each league a UCL spot, move on to runners up for EPL, cup winners go in to conference league and all sorted, unfortunately UEFA cant abandon money over fairness, in 10 years time all scottish clubs will need to qualify for the lowest teir of european football while the newly promoted team in England will be in the UCL! was the Atlantic league the answer and will it work going forward?

Who knows how european leagues will end up, we may be playing in a whole non domestic environment In 15 or 20 years.
Looking back the league may be thought of like the glasgow and charity cups are now.
Just a thought.

It’ll be excellent. Domestic fixtures will be forced to take a back seat, for example it may have to be the B team who play in the league cup. It may also force the SPFL to increase the division to 16 or 18 teams and just play each other twice snd Ditch the ludicrous split , as it already should be.

With all three competitions moving to a 36 team league set up it’s also a fantastic chance for the likes of hearts, hibs to be playing regular European football in the conference division. So it won’t just be the old firm who realise that the domestic game needs to lose fixtures.

Best news in years for us as far as I can see this new set up. Can’t wait.
The league cup is important for us this season, no doubt about that, but it’s a competition too many in the modern age, Europe is where the future is for sure.

I can see the league cup becoming like a national under 21 or youth competition and I also like the idea of a bigger league, ditch the split and have less domestic games. Can’t see any negatives in that scenario, playing the same teams up to 7 times a season in this country is just so boring.

if they have promised an increase in games to broadcasters and sponsors for an increase in money , do you really think they are not going to deliver this?
if they cant they cant and broadcasters will still get what they want

New champions league format to start in 24/25 season

but am uneasy with it as it means 4 extra games in the so called new champions league or super league to some and added to our schedule but no dates as of yet to when we will play the extra 4 games.

what are our views?

ADMIN EDIT TO INSERT GRAPHIC.

free image uploading sites

Are we even going to be invited?

My thoughts are that we’ll be consigned to mid table European mediocrity for ever more. It’s not the passport to riches that’ll enable us to dine at the top table once again, that many think it will be.

The big boys will get richer & we’ll be eating off the scraps.

I guess not really too different from the way the Champions League is set up now for teams like us.

Back