What's an appropriate assessment of Beale?

Nobody watching the Ibrox game could have had any doubt about who has the superior squad and now that Beale's recruited more of his targets the gap is even wider.

As well as having the better players today has brought very very good news for Rangers. They've signed a has-been of a manager who has never won anything through merit while we have Michael Beale who is without doubt amongst Europe's next generation of truly elite coaches. Better squad, better managers so of course we're favourites.

I can only imagine how it would have felt to have yous lot flying alongside me in formation at the Battle of Britain, jabbering away about how superior the enemy are and shrieking that we were all gonna go down in flames. Beale is our Sir Hugh Dowding and under his leadership we'll be flying forward to victory.
I certainly wouldn’t have wanted a clown like you beside me when I was on patrol or clearing houses in NI or on private security details in Central/South America and Africa in real life not some pathetic RAF fantasy. With pishy patter like that a double tap to the head could have been an outcome.

MB has some way to go to convince me he has what it takes to manage Rangers hopefully he does next season is massive as critical as stopping them winning 10 for a number of reasons
This has to be the most reasonable point of view at this juncture of time.

He won nothing in the six months he had at it, losing both cups as well as succumbing to them in what was effectively a league decider.

Results improved, but the football didn’t really and I think we’re pinning most of our good faith on that end of season victory (by which time they’d already sewn up the title) and the form of Cantwell in particular.

As a counter to that I do think we will be a much tougher and more potent animal next season and have the impression that the recruitment has a greater focus to it than it did last year, but he still has it all to prove really and no amount of uber staunch Battle of Britain rabble rousing will change that reality.

I’m quite confident that Beale and his coaching team will continue taking us on an upward trajectory, and will still be with us even if we don’t quite reach the Champions podium first time around.

But even Stevie Wonder can see that it is going to be a tighter battle this coming season.

On the other hand I’m not much impressed by that other mobs mass hysteria over Rodgers return, dripping with romantic pledges to lead them to European glory. Selective memory syndrome there probably.

This has to be the most reasonable point of view at this juncture of time.

He won nothing in the six months he had at it, losing both cups as well as succumbing to them in what was effectively a league decider.

Results improved, but the football didn’t really and I think we’re pinning most of our good faith on that end of season victory (by which time they’d already sewn up the title) and the form of Cantwell in particular.

As a counter to that I do think we will be a much tougher and more potent animal next season and have the impression that the recruitment has a greater focus to it than it did last year, but he still has it all to prove really and no amount of uber staunch Battle of Britain rabble rousing will change that reality.
Nah that's not fair.

Kent, Morelos and Kamara were effectively bombed out post split. Kent and Morelos have not even had the decency to utter a few sentences thanking the club or the fans, I think that speaks volumes where their relationship with the club got to.

Then we have the Tillman situation, clearly no interest in being here any longer than he had to be.

Beale was working with a lot of players whose hearts and minds had left the building, nothing was going to get through to them. In the forward positions he had no option but to play them, Kamara was pretty much sent to Siberia apart from a farewell appearance because he had other options.

We saw the impact he had on the guys that are 'bought in'; Cantwell, Raskin and even Souttar all ended the season well.

I said months ago Beale was case and point why some managers don't take jobs mid-season. You inherit a load of existing problems and end up getting the blame for them.

Let's just wait and see how the season works out. By Christmas we'll have a good idea of where we are. If we're ahead of them then great if we're o their tails with showing good progress that will give us confidence for the turn of the year onwards.

This is the defining season for Beale. He's had a chance to recruit his players and a chance to clear out some of the older players and some dead wood. He's up against a decent coach in Rodgers which will test him. So, I think it fair to make an assessment on the season to come and not last season. Win the league and qualify for the CL group stages will define success for him.

Nah that's not fair.

Kent, Morelos and Kamara were effectively bombed out post split. Kent and Morelos have not even had the decency to utter a few sentences thanking the club or the fans, I think that speaks volumes where their relationship with the club got to.

Then we have the Tillman situation, clearly no interest in being here any longer than he had to be.

Beale was working with a lot of players whose hearts and minds had left the building, nothing was going to get through to them. In the forward positions he had no option but to play them, Kamara was pretty much sent to Siberia apart from a farewell appearance because he had other options.

We saw the impact he had on the guys that are 'bought in'; Cantwell, Raskin and even Souttar all ended the season well.

I said months ago Beale was case and point why some managers don't take jobs mid-season. You inherit a load of existing problems and end up getting the blame

Nah that's not fair.

I said months ago Beale was case and point why some managers don't take jobs mid-season. You inherit a load of existing problems and end up getting the blame for them.
The same conditions GVB operating in and he was sacked,no excuses he delivers or will be sacked

The same conditions GVB operating in and he was sacked,no excuses he delivers or will be sacked
They were conditions of GVB/Wilsons creating and Beale inherited them.

Any yes, obviously if he eventually doesn't deliver he will be sacked.

Nah that's not fair.

When Beale came in most of us were realistic enough to accept that the title was beyond him, but shoots of encouragement could be gleaned by a) reducing the deficit between us; b) winning at least one cup, c) beating them a couple of times in the league.

He didn’t manage any of it.

As I’ve already said on this thread, I think we’ll be a much tougher prospect next season, but the OP was an evaluation of Beale up until the end of last season and on the evidence available his overall performance was actually a bit disappointing in my honest opinion.

When Beale came in most of us were realistic enough to accept that the title was beyond him, but shoots of encouragement could be gleaned by a) reducing the deficit between us; b) winning at least one cup, c) beating them a couple of times in the league.

As I’ve already said on this thread, I think we’ll be a much tougher prospect next season, but the OP was an evaluation of Beale up until the end of last season and on the evidence available his overall performance was actually a bit disappointing in my honest opinion.
You've not really acknowledged any of the situation around the main attacking players.

It's leading a horse to water stuff, Kent basically just buggered off eventually only reappearing in his joggies for a quick walk around the pitch.

Personally I think Beale felt let down by a few of them.

There's very little context about what he inherited in your overview. I'm struggling to see what more he could have done with a core of players, mainly the only fit attacking ones, that had clearly checked out and were counting down the days until they could leave.

I think he done what he could with what he had. The team had long passed its sell by date. He steadied the ship and started recruitment. This will be a hard year. Say what we want but that lot are a good side with good players. I don’t think Rogers will make them better so it is a good chance. I have faith that Beale can get there. I’m liking the fact Wer getting our transfers done early

You've not really acknowledged any of the situation around the main attacking players.

It's leading a horse to water stuff, Kent basically just buggered off eventually only reappearing in his joggies for a quick walk around the pitch.

There's very little context about what he inherited in your overview. I'm struggling to see what more he could have done with a core of players, mainly the only fit attacking ones, that had clearly checked out and were counting down the days until they could leave.
I tend to feel the hallmark of a really good manager is one that’s able to turn around an existing group of players and reinvigorate some that have looked to be lost causes.

Maybe it was a stretch to expect Beale to get anything more out of Kent, Morelos and Kamara and I agree that he probably did feel a bit let down by them, but I’m wary of believing everything will be a-okay now that they’re more or less all gone.

As said elsewhere, had it not been for that final Old Firm win - which I think he desperately needed for precisely this reason - I feel the mood would be a lot less buoyant than it is.

I tend to feel the hallmark of a really good manager is one that’s able to turn around an existing group of players and reinvigorate some that have looked to be lost causes.

Maybe it was a stretch to expect Beale to get anything more out of Kent, Morelos and Kamara and I agree that he probably did feel a bit let down by them, but I’m wary of believing everything will be a-okay now that they’re more or less all gone.

As said elsewhere, had it not been for that final Old Firm win - which I think he desperately needed for precisely this reason - I feel the mood would be a lot less buoyant than it is.
I think you're being very harsh, he by and large did improve the form of those that see their future here and the newer players all look completely bought in.

The ones that knew they were leaving? That's a very, very high bar you're judging him on. They didn't look to be lost causes they were lost causes, the killer was they were probably the first choice front 3. It's no coincidence the rest of them functioned pretty well but when it came to relying on these guys to step up they were empty shirts.

Beale made it an established team,if anyone thought that Gerrard was the brains behind our tactics in Europe then they were not watching Beale coming to the side of the pitch telling Gerrard what to do,he was the mm an Stevie was the figure head.
That's bollocks m8 Gerrard was in charge. Beale may have helped at times but this Beale was the brains behind Gerrard stinks of trying to convince yourself that Beale will be a success on the back of Gerrard winning us 55.

I’m still a bit neutral.

Our firm improved, but we still lost out on most of the crunch matches during his tenure so far.

Cantwell has been a great signing though,that gave some hope. Raskin looks good too, but not quite at the same level so far.

The summer signings seem a bit poor on paper, but need to see how they show up, I suppose.

I’d say I’m more hopeful than confident at the moment, tbh.

Cost us at New Year at Ibrox with some baffling changes. 2 cup ties weren’t very impressive either.

Strong start in the league and winning the first trophy up for grabs (league cup) is a must. If they go level on trophies and we are behind in the league the knifes will be out.

We aren’t a project anymore with managers needing numerous seasons to get things right and win trophies.
So a manager a season is your answer, till eventually one might work out. If so, the earl haigs can look forward to 10 in a row.

Beat the dross convincingly and repeatedly (with an absolutely finished squad) which all our managers failed to do since we got back (bar one season).

The record against them isn't great but again, it's a finished squad and it was an improvement from the Pedro-esque drubbings that Gio was getting.

We'll know more in the new year. This transfer window is the most important since 2016 and it looks like we're targeting and signing the right players with the right attitudes, unlike back then when we had a horror show which set us back years.

Yet he still won more points than Celtic since he took over a team that was an absolute shit show under gio. He made 2 signings which instantly improved our midfield. Have faith in him he knows what’s required.
Inherited an injured, unfit, unmotivated squad and somehow managed to run us neck and neck against them, despite their huge expenditure on players and freakish run of form.

Largest challenge will lie with the large overturn of the squad, coupled with putting into action how he wants us to play in such a short period of time.

He didn’t really though but did he ? We were 9 points behind when he came in, celtic won the league when they were 13 points clear, then they went on their holidays like we used to regularly do when we wrapped up titles so early. Had he not been lucky getting Goldson back just after he came in it would’ve been a lot worse.

I think anybody thinking that Beale could turn it around with pretty much the exact same players needs to take a reality check. At least 3 key players had checked out by the point he took charge with no real replacements waiting in the wings.

The signings that were added in January look really decent - if he can add 4 or 5 of similar quality then we will have the nucleus of a whole new team.

Where we stand going into the January transfer window will be the first real point where he should be judged imho.

Beat the dross convincingly and repeatedly (with an absolutely finished squad) which all our managers failed to do since we got back (bar one season).

The record against them isn't great but again, it's a finished squad and it was an improvement from the Pedro-esque drubbings that Gio was getting.

We'll know more in the new year. This transfer window is the most important since 2016 and it looks like we're targeting and signing the right players with the right attitudes, unlike back then when we had a horror show which set us back years.

We had four 4-0 victories in the 15 games before he came in. We never beat anyone by 4 goals or more in the 23 games under Beale.

GvB lost 4 out of 46 domestic matches, Beale had lost 4 by his 24th match.

For me he didn’t do any worse than what Gio would have. He easily done better.

That said, I wanted at least a cup and the beating of them in the league to close the points gap, he failed in that regard. But, they also didn’t drop any points in the league and he matched their form.

Come Christmas time, For me, we need to:

- Still be in Europe.
- Be within 3 points of them if we’re behind, with us winning the first game. Ideally in 1st and miles ahead.

How many draws under GVB though?

My post was in response to someone who claimed Beale “Beat the dross convincingly and repeatedly (with an absolutely finished squad) which all our managers failed to do since we got back (bar one season).”

Last season GvB 3 draws 2 defeats over 17 domestic games.

Beale 2 draws 4 defeats over 29 domestic games.

Beale came in when we had no European football, we effectively played 1 game pretty much a week. GvB never had that really at any time during his 2 “part“ seasons. There was a reason we had so many players injured,

So yes Beale has a slightly higher win % (79.3% - 74.5%) than GvB (total) but a far higher loss % (13.8% - 8.5%)

How many did Gio draw vs Beale?
What’s the points tally?

We were further behind celtic when they wrapped up the title than when Beale came in.

My post was in response to someone who claimed Beale “Beat the dross convincingly and repeatedly (with an absolutely finished squad) which all our managers failed to do since we got back (bar one season).”

Last season GvB 3 draws 2 defeats over 17 domestic games.

Beale 2 draws 4 defeats over 29 domestic games.

Beale came in when we had no European football, we effectively played 1 game pretty much a week. GvB never had that really at any time during his 2 “part“ seasons. There was a reason we had so many players injured,

So yes Beale has a slightly higher win % (79.3% - 74.5%) than GvB (total) but a far higher loss % (13.8% - 8.5%)

We were further behind celtic when they wrapped up the title than when Beale came in.
We were battered under GvB numerous times. Absolutely battered by Celtic, Ajax twice, Liverpool and Napoli.

If you’re letting him off with the Champions League game then fair enough.

But against Celtic we were miles off it.

Beale came in and in my opinion we shot ourselves in the foot in a couple of the games against them when I think there’s a case to argue that we were the better side.

Then we wiped the floor with them in the most recent game.

I think we were a much better side under Beale than under GvB this season. He deserves time and patience to get his side on show.

We were battered under GvB numerous times. Absolutely battered by Celtic, Ajax twice, Liverpool and Napoli.

If you’re letting him off with the Champions League game then fair enough.

But against Celtic we were miles off it.

Beale came in and in my opinion we shot ourselves in the foot in a couple of the games against them when I think there’s a case to argue that we were the better side.

Then we wiped the floor with them in the most recent game.

I think we were a much better side under Beale than under GvB this season. He deserves time and patience to get his side on show.

Only the deluded think we can compete in the Champions League, we couldn’t do it when we matched the best in Europe £ for £ when we had the likes of Gazza and Laudrup. Our record in the CL is absolutely honking, always has been same as Celtic.

Napoli ran away with Serie A and bottled the CL, Liverpool have won everything in World Club football the past 5 years or so, 3 CL finals, even though they were up and down last season they still beat Bournemouth 9-0 and Man Utd 7-0, Man Utd finished 3rd in the EPL and got to the quarters of the Europa League. We qualified for the CL by beating USG who got to the quarter finals of the Europa League and PSV who finished 2nd in the Eredivisie and lost in the knock out stages of the EL to eventual winners Sevilla.

We got battered off celtic twice but at the end of the day it’s 0 points whether it’s 4-0 or 3-2. We drew with them at the piggery and beat them at Hampden. Beale has yet to beat them in a meaningful game.

We wiped the floor with their reserves, 3 out their back four were missing. They had wrapped the title up and were on their holidays. They won 1 out their last 4 games after tying up the title. They had lost 1 domestic game out the previous 43.

Look, he could win the treble but lose twice to the filth and you have a poll on here wanting him sacked. I know its a forum and we all have a voice but the voice on here is too weird at times. So inless he goes unbeaten for the entirety of his contract, he should go.

Look, he could win the treble but lose twice to the filth and you have a poll on here wanting him sacked. I know its a forum and we all have a voice but the voice on here is too weird at times. So inless he goes unbeaten for the entirety of his contract, he should go.
I think it's more to do with the fact that 55 should've ended their domination and was clearly an opportunity missed. Beale simply has to get it right this season and with them bringing in Rodgers it's not going to be easy. I like Beale I think he's a very good coach however I'm not sure he's a strong enough character to be a successful Rangers manager.

Win the league is a must this season or it’s the end simple as that.

Then IF we win the league again our board should learn from the 55 season and not sleep at the wheel, their actions or lack of back then were criminal and we are paying for it still now and dare I say it may cost us another decade of pain and suffering at the hands of the beasts.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Then IF we win the league again our board should learn from the 55 season and not sleep at the wheel, their actions or lack of back then were criminal and we are paying for it still now and dare I say it may cost us another decade of pain and suffering at the hands of the beasts.

Good post

Only the deluded think we can compete in the Champions League, we couldn’t do it when we matched the best in Europe £ for £ when we had the likes of Gazza and Laudrup. Our record in the CL is absolutely honking, always has been same as Celtic.

Napoli ran away with Serie A and bottled the CL, Liverpool have won everything in World Club football the past 5 years or so, 3 CL finals, even though they were up and down last season they still beat Bournemouth 9-0 and Man Utd 7-0, Man Utd finished 3rd in the EPL and got to the quarters of the Europa League. We qualified for the CL by beating USG who got to the quarter finals of the Europa League and PSV who finished 2nd in the Eredivisie and lost in the knock out stages of the EL to eventual winners Sevilla.

We got battered off celtic twice but at the end of the day it’s 0 points whether it’s 4-0 or 3-2. We drew with them at the piggery and beat them at Hampden. Beale has yet to beat them in a meaningful game.

We wiped the floor with their reserves, 3 out their back four were missing. They had wrapped the title up and were on their holidays. They won 1 out their last 4 games after tying up the title. They had lost 1 domestic game out the previous 43.
I've honestly never seen a Rangers supporter try so hard and so persistently to do a Rangers manager down. Especially one who's been in the door 6 months and walked into the situation he did. It's baffling.

You liked Gio, you don't like Beale for some reason. Ok, we get it.

We were miles ahead after winning 55 and I'm at a complete loss as to why the board never backed Gerrard and kicked on everything was in place to do so. I agree if we don't get it right this season they'll continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.

We were miles ahead after winning 55 and I'm at a complete loss as to why the board never backed Gerrard and kicked on everything was in place to do so. I agree if we don't get it right this season they'll continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.
The money wasn't there. Gerrard wanted to keep the core of players and add to it without a sale to fund it. Our transfers in summer 2021 were 3 free transfers tells you everything. I think we should be in a position where we should be having a big sale every season to help fund the squad maintenance, whilst that isn't always possible if no one want to buy players, but I don't think that its a coincidence in Gio's first transfer window, theres a big sale, then in the summer there's one as well.

Beale chose to keep Morelos and Kent in January. He was convinced he was the one that could change their minds, rejuvenate them and fire us back to glory.

With 6 months left on their respective deals, this was a naive move and it cost him. So, while I do have a bit of sympathy for him feeling let down, the situation could've been resolved in January and he didn't resolve it.

Whether it’s 4-0 or 3-2….

I’m out.

I tend to agree with this. I took pelters on our supporters bus for being a bit critical of Beale after we go beaten in the semi final. I appreciate it wasn't his team, but I think some criticism is valid.

That being said, his signings in January have been great, looking forward to what can come with a full preseason and some further signings.

Beale chose to keep Morelos and Kent in January. He was convinced he was the one that could change their minds, rejuvenate them and fire us back to glory.

With 6 months left on their respective deals, this was a naive move and it cost him. So, while I do have a bit of sympathy for him feeling let down, the situation could've been resolved in January and he didn't resolve it.
What bids did Beale turn down for Morelos and Kent?

You can't sell players if nobody makes you an offer.

You can't sell players if nobody makes you an offer.
Na, that's rubbish.

Fenerbache snapped Kent up as soon as his deal was done, but there would have been no suitors in January if Kent had told his agent to put the word out that Beale didn't want him?

Don't believe that at all. Beale was very vocal at the time that he felt he could get the best out of Morelos and Kent, and that was before the January transfer window.

So a manager a season is your answer, till eventually one might work out. If so, the earl haigs can look forward to 10 in a row.
Or even a new manager every half season according to some.

A lot of people here already gas lighting to get Beale sacked by December while others are demanding a first season title or he’s gone.

Such a destructive cycle of short term hiring and firing would eventually drive us into the abyss of oblivion.

I seriously doubt our board will pay any attention to any of these online “experts” agitating for such a dangerous disruption to the clubs long term planning.

Last edited:
I've honestly never seen a Rangers supporter try so hard and so persistently to do a Rangers manager down. Especially one who's been in the door 6 months and walked into the situation he did. It's baffling.

You liked Gio, you don't like Beale for some reason. Ok, we get it.

It’s nothing to do with people/personalities.

If we are sacking a manager (who incidentally had the identical domestic record for the same amount of games in charge as Posticoglu) then we need to improve. GvB took us to the Europa League final with a squad that was on their @rses, 13 wins out of 24 games, two wins in their last 10 European games, humiliated at Hampden by Hibs. If we didn’t go to Seville we were winning the league no doubt about it. He won the Scottish Cup, never lost a domestic cup match.

Beale has came in lost the same amount of domestic games in almost half the amount of matches. Was further behind celtic when they won the league than when he came in, bottled both cup competitions.

So yes I’ve yet to be convinced there is an improvement.

GvB came in when we were left in the lurch by Gerrard, he was hamstrung by an ageing bloated squad he inherited. Gerrard‘s signing policy after 55 was a disgrace, whether that was the Board saying you knew you were front loaded or we know you are angling for an out so you are getting nothing, who knows.

Our backbone of 55 was based on the following players, their league starts during 55, in brackets League starts last season.

Goldson 38 (25), Helander 21 (0), Davis 29 (1), Hagi 23 (3), Roofe 18 (0), Morelos 26 (15). Roofe was our top league scorer in 55 with 14 goals he had 1 goal last season. Hagi had 7 he got 1 last year. Morelos scored less in fact they 6 players contributed 38 goals during 55, they got 16 last season.

The Club sold Patterson, Aribo and Bassey from under him you could probably include Swiss league and cup title winner Cedric Itten. GvB was given just over £10million to work with, Aribo played 149 games over 3 seasons for us, an Europa League final scorer, a huge void to fill. But hey he had Ofoborh and Bacuna as replacements.

When you have your longest ever season followed by your shortest preseason with games twice a week like at the start of last season not only do you not have proper rest and recuperation time you don’t have enough time for preparation, you invariably pick up injuries. We were decimated by injuries, Our new signings started the following league games Yilmaz 8, Lawrence 4, Souttar 8, Matondo 9. Colak started the season on fire 14 goals before Beale came in was hardly seen under Beale. Davies took a while to settle you could argue only him and Matondo have still to prove they can handle playing for us.

Beale came to the Club in to a far better position than GvB did.

Back