Billy McNeil Quote "Open Secret" Daily Record

That's exactly it. We mention it and up pops Neely's name.

The response to that is “if Neely abused kids at Rangers and others covered it up, I would welcome an investigation into it and hope all those complicit were jailed”

If there were truth to any of their what aboutery you’d can bet your bottom dollar the press would love to link us to their historic case.

You really are a glutton for punishment, I'll give you that.

Apsley Ger, who started this thread. lifted the quote from a forum called Not606, created after the old BBC606 forum went down the tubes

The article was written by Daily Record Reporter, Gordon McIlwraith, on July 11th 1998:

Not606 is a mixed forum and I was at war with a bitter bastard called DevAdvocate - I had Spin City come over from the old FF Board to put him straight on a few things about Jock Stein and the cover up.

At the time of arguing with DevAdvocate I believed the McNeill "open secret" was a fact, and used it against him in the debate.

So the part Apsley Ger quoted...

was added by me, and not Gordon McIlwraith.
I did my own online research and didnt use the research from others.

Apsley Ger, who started this thread. lifted the quote from a forum called Not606, created after the old BBC606 forum went down the tubes

The article was written by Daily Record Reporter, Gordon McIlwraith, on July 11th 1998:

Not606 is a mixed forum and I was at war with a bitter bastard called DevAdvocate - I had Spin City come over from the old FF Board to put him straight on a few things about Jock Stein and the cover up.

At the time of arguing with DevAdvocate I believed the McNeill "open secret" was a fact, and used it against him in the debate.

Fair play mate. Appreciate you letting us know the origin, i do wish I’d known that 4 fucking years ago mind you haha.

That's exactly it. We mention it and up pops Neely's name.
We're only doing this because we're Rangers supporters. That's their defence.

Bastards
Caldow, I was 17 when the Neely thing happened and I’m asking this question as I have heard 2 accounts of what happened and I’m genuinely not sure which one is true. They are basically the same with one change.

1) Neely abused a boy at Ibrox.
2) He reported it to his Dad.
3) His Dad demanded a meeting with Souness - apparently Sir Walter was present too. They listened to the boys story.
4) They interviewed Neely, he confessed.
5) Souness fired him on the spot and informed the police and told the Dad the police were informed.

The other story I heard was that points 1-4 were correct but:

5) Souness fired him and told the Dad the police were informed but when the Dad contacted the police, no report had been filed.

If the second version is true it could get us into trouble for not reporting it.

I have no clue which point 5 is true.

I remember in the next week or so, Neely’s departure was confirmed in the Rangers News, Neely seemed to leave Rangers quietly. If I’m wrong, can you tell me what really happened?

Obviously the second version of point 5 would suit Celtic supporters down to the ground as they could accuse us of a cover up although it be hypocrisy on a gigantic scale.

Last edited:

We're not all 20 years old and bowing to your self perceived superior knowledge on this subject. I distinctly remember him saying it, and so do many others. We can't all be wrong.

looks like there might be a date to work on

The quote below is a direct quote from the man voted by the Celtic fan’s as Celtic Football Club’s greatest ever Captain and a former twice time Celtic Football Club manager, Billy McNeill.

“It (Torbett’s crimes) was an open secret at Parkhead”

Billy McNeil, Evening Times, 13th November 1998

Caldow, I was 17 when the Neely thing happened and I’m asking this question as I have heard 2 accounts of what happened and I’m genuinely not sure which one is true. They are basically the same with one change.

3) His Dad demanded a meeting with Souness - apparently Sir Walter was present too. They listened to the boys story.
5) Souness fired him on the spot and informed the police and told the Dad the police were informed.

5) Souness fired him and told the Dad the police were informed but when the Dad contacted the police, no report had been filed.

If the second version is true it could get us into trouble for not reporting it.

I remember in the next few week or so, Newley’s departure was confirmed in the Rangers News, Neely seemed to leave Rangers quietly. If I’m wrong, can you tell me what really happened?

Obviously the second version of point 5 would suit Celtic supporters down to the ground as they could accuse us of a cover up although it be hypocrisy on a gigantic scale.

His father was a senior police officer, so 5) isn't right.

looks like there might be a date to work on

The quote below is a direct quote from the man voted by the Celtic fan’s as Celtic Football Club’s greatest ever Captain and a former twice time Celtic Football Club manager, Billy McNeill.

“It (Torbett’s crimes) was an open secret at Parkhead”

Billy McNeil, Evening Times, 13th November 1998

Again, and solely in interests of making sure focus remains on evidence not inaccuracy; the quote is fictitious from what anyone has been able to find.

And a lot of time has been spent trying to find and prove it to be true.

I remember in the next week or so, Neely’s departure was confirmed in the Rangers News, Neely seemed to leave Rangers quietly. If I’m wrong, can you tell me what really happened?

At that time the Rangers head of security was Alastair Hood, a retired Deputy Chief Constable of Lothian & Borders Police, straight as a die and a stickler for the rules. He was so highly regarded he was put in charge of the popes visit in the early 80’s

He would have been aware of the Neely allegations and would have done the right thing - whatever that may have been. He would not have covered it up.

At that time the Rangers head of security was Alastair Hood, a retired Deputy Chief Constable of Lothian & Borders Police, straight as a die and a stickler for the rules. He was so highly regarded he was put in charge of the popes visit in the early 80’s

He would have been aware of the Neely allegations and would have done the right thing - whatever that may have been. He would not have covered it up.
deedle just told me the boy who was abused by Neely, his father was a senior police officer, so the cops knew, so no cover up.

Sorry to keep asking questions. Was Neely ever arrested and prosecuted? I know he died not long after due to cancer so maybe there was no time for trial and prosecution but my timeline might be off?

deedle just told me the boy who was abused by Neely, his father was a senior police officer, so the cops knew, so no cover up.

Sorry to keep asking questions. Was Neely ever arrested and prosecuted? I know he died not long after due to cancer so maybe there was no time for trial and prosecution but my timeline might be off?
Apologies, Neely died of cancer on 2014 at 62 years of age. I thought he died at the age of 43.

He wasn’t prosecuted prior to his death.

It’s also worth saying that Rangers Football Club was Neely’s last club.

Worth pointing that out I think, for obvious reasons.

He wasn’t prosecuted prior to his death.

It’s also worth saying that Rangers Football Club was Neely’s last club.

Worth pointing that out I think, for obvious reasons.
I replied earlier that I thought he died a few years after the incident of cancer at the age of 43 but just checked and he died in 2016 at the age of 62. Glad he never got near kids again. Would have loved him to have spent a few decades behind bars.

It was a PHYSICAL accusation not SEXUAL .

I replied earlier that I thought he died a few years after the incident of cancer at the age of 43 but just checked and he died in 2016 at the age of 62. Glad he never got near kids again. Would have loved him to have spent a few decades behind bars.

Yes, he sounded like he was a complete weirdo.

Despite not being convicted, everything points to that mate.

He was never prosecuted but that decision obviously wasn’t within the gift of Rangers.

I simply cannot believe that Hood would not have been involved. He was meticulous, a stickler for the rules, and would have informed the police. Thereafter, it is a matter for the police and Procurator Fiscal.

Long time ago & not sure if been mentioned in this thread but was it not Lou Macari who said that ie that everyone knew & the open secret part .
Lou Macari did say it. He was interviewed by someone I know.
Reference McNeil saying it then I know people that were in court that day and they can’t recall him saying it.
That doesn’t mean he didn’t but as far as they are concerned they can’t remember him saying it in court.

It was a PHYSICAL accusation not SEXUAL .
Yes, he sounded like he was a complete weirdo.

Despite not being convicted, everything points to that mate.
I just read an article from the Sun who quoted the SFA investigation into CSA and it said that “Rangers took the accusations seriously and their actions were commendable”. The article also says that it cannot be clearly established if the authorities were notified so maybe that’s why he was never prosecuted?

I had a recent chat with deedle and he said that the boy who was abused by Neely, his father was a senior police officer, so it makes no sense to me that the authorities weren’t notified unless the father didn’t report it but why on earth would he fail to do that?

I’m still at a loss as to why Neely wasn’t prosecuted if the authorities knew unless there was a decision not to press charges for some reason which would be disappointing imo.

I just read an article from the Sun who quoted the SFA investigation into CSA and it said that “Rangers took the accusations seriously and their actions were commendable”. The article also says that it cannot be clearly established if the authorities were notified so maybe that’s why he was never prosecuted?

I had a recent chat with deedle and he said that the boy who was abused by Neely, his father was a senior police officer, so it makes no sense to me that the authorities weren’t notified unless the father didn’t report it but why on earth would he fail to do that?

I’m still at a loss as to why Neely wasn’t prosecuted if the authorities knew unless there was a decision not to press charges for some reason which would be disappointing imo.
Another thing that seems to have gone under the radar is Hibs knew about Neely when he was there and said nothing prior to him coming to Rangers.

He was never prosecuted but that decision obviously wasn’t within the gift of Rangers.

I simply cannot believe that Hood would not have been involved. He was meticulous, a stickler for the rules, and would have informed the police. Thereafter, it is a matter for the police and Procurator Fiscal.
I agree once Rangers fired Neely then reported it, it’s then up to the PF to take things forward so in my opinion Rangers did what they needed to do.

I’m just disappointed he didn’t spend a long time in jail.

We're not all 20 years old and bowing to your self perceived superior knowledge on this subject. I distinctly remember him saying it, and so do many others. We can't all be wrong.

So, every documentary & article from newspapers such as The Times and Scottish express allude to the fact this was an open secret and here we have been read out in court in Cairney's case that McNeil also helped out at Celtic boys club!

The court heard that some of the victims did not come forward due to Cairney's influence on the team and the influence it would have on their careers.

Cairney's recorded police interview following his arrest in August 2019 was played to the court. He told officers that he was installed as manager of Celtic Boys Club by legendary first team boss Jock Stein in 1970.

Cairney said: "[Stein] says you are not going to Hamilton Accies, you will take the Celtic Boys Club under 16s. I will put s-forms [schoolboy players] in there and you are responsible."

Cairney later stated: "It was called Celtic Boys Club but it was Celtic under 16s."

He added that he was assisted by Lisbon Lion captain Billy McNeill "for a few months."

Another thing that seems to have gone under the radar is Hibs knew about Neely when he was there and said nothing prior to him coming to Rangers.
Yes, I heard that too at the time, so Rangers didn’t hire a known pedo as his crimes weren’t disclosed and that’s Hibs obligation and they should bear responsibility for that. Once Rangers found out about Neely, he was fired, reported and never worked in football again.

Exact opposite happened across the city where the pedos were rehired after Stien left, so the tims comparing the two cases is just desperation of staggering proportions.

If McNeil quoted in court that it was an “open secret“ throughout parkhead then it doesn’t infer that they are a separate entity. They have now removed this transcript from public view but surely the lawyers acting for the victims has access, using it to rubbish their lies.

I have no doubt that Thomsons will have gone over the trial transcript with a fine tooth comb.

I've never found any proof that McNeill was in court let alone being called to give evidence. If he was I'm sure the Spotlight Team would have found it by now.

Last edited:
My understanding was Neely never committed any CSA crimes whilst employed by Rangers , and there was a situation where a youngster was apparently made to feel uncomfortable by Neely .possibly something he said , it's never been clear .This was relayed to the Rangers management who acted accordingly by dismissing Neely on the spot. Neelys past then emerged as he was known to be " dodgy " to Hibernian f.c.in his employment and they had in actual fact covered his behaviour up , by mysteriously failing to inform Rangers of his behaviour prior to Neely joining from Hibs.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Thomsons will have gone over the trial transcript with a fine tooth comb.

I've never found any proof that McNeill was in court let alone being called to give evidence. If he was I'm sure the Spotlight Team would have found it by now.
One thing you definitely won’t find from any of the CFC staff involved in the CBC’s founder’s 1st trial is any of them quoting anything saying that they were separate entity.

Yes, I heard that too at the time, so Rangers didn’t hire a known pedo as his crimes weren’t disclosed and that’s Hibs obligation and they should bear responsibility for that. Once Rangers found out about Neely, he was fired, reported and never worked in football again.

Exact opposite happened across the city where the pedos were rehired after Stien left, so the tims comparing the two cases is just desperation of staggering proportions.
Neely was binned & reported asap as far as I am aware.

That’s an isolated case.
There could be a Paedo anywhere in any organisation, it doesn’t mean that entire organisation is guilty of heinous crimes.

However, a club that had multiple offenders and, tragically, countless victims is not an isolated case. It’s a paedophile ring. An industrial scale one, at that. Which all happened while certain individuals stood by and said nothing. An utterly sinister & despicable organisation that should be closed down for what they allowed to happen and how they, to this day, try every dirty trick in the book to deny liability. They should be confined to the history books and be a lesson to the world that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.

Neely was binned & reported asap as far as I am aware.

That’s an isolated case.
There could be a Paedo anywhere in any organisation, it doesn’t mean that entire organisation is guilty of heinous crimes.

However, a club that had multiple offenders and, tragically, countless victims is not an isolated case. It’s a paedophile ring. An industrial scale one, at that. Which all happened while certain individuals stood by and said nothing. An utterly sinister & despicable organisation that should be closed down for what they allowed to happen and how they, to this day, try every dirty trick in the book to deny liability. They should be confined to the history books and be a lesson to the world that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.
Couldn’t agree more CLMG. If it comes to light that these boys were trafficked down South, couldn’t Westminster get involved as the SNP with Humza Useless will do nothing to help these victims and to think
that p***k was Justice Minister is laughable.

I can’t wait for the day his beloved Celtic are exposed for what they are and I hope Douglas Ross gets the first question.

However, I’ll bet Useless will play the anti-catholic card but it will make him look like and even bigger tit than he is already.

Couldn’t agree more CLMG. If it comes to light that these boys were trafficked down South, couldn’t Westminster get involved as the SNP with Humza Useless will do nothing to help these victims and to think
that p***k was Justice Minister is laughable.

I can’t wait for the day his beloved Celtic are exposed for what they are and I hope Douglas Ross gets the first question.

However, I’ll bet Useless will play the anti-catholic card but it will make him look like and even bigger tit than he is already.
There’s obviously reasons why the powers that be don’t seem keen on a proper public enquiry into the whole thing, it can’t be just because they favour the scum. That’s ridiculous.
My guess (and it is just a thought) is that it goes deeper than just the filth club and there’s probably people who dine at the top table involved directly or indirectly and they don’t want the world to know.

What other justifiable reason could there be for this not to be thoroughly investigated and appropriate levels of punishment and justice dished out ? I can’t think of one.

His father was a senior police officer, so 5) isn't right.
That’s the story as I had heard years ago.
The other part of this was that the Neely abuse was more suggestive than physical.
I am not trying to water down Neely’s guilt here.

McCluskey who was patron of the Fairbridge organisation that catered for vulnerable youths from troubled backgrounds. Was Torbett not involved in this too? Makes you sick to your stomach
They were coincidentally directors of Fairbridge at the same time.
Perhaps too coincidentally they both resigned on the same date.

The other part of this was that the Neely abuse was more suggestive than physical.
I'm sure you are right on that as I read pretty much the same.

Yes, you can. So long as there is a reasonable investigation. But, then you have failed to report a criminal act. Not sure if that is , or was, legal or not. It’s certainly not moral.
Stein couldn't sack Torbett if he was employed by a separate entiry.

Stein couldn't sack Torbett even if he was employed by Celtic. Stein was responsible for team matters, not personnel matters.

There’s obviously reasons why the powers that be don’t seem keen on a proper public enquiry into the whole thing, it can’t be just because they favour the scum. That’s ridiculous.
My guess (and it is just a thought) is that it goes deeper than just the filth club and there’s probably people who dine at the top table involved directly or indirectly and they don’t want the world to know.

What other justifiable reason could there be for this not to be thoroughly investigated and appropriate levels of punishment and justice dished out ? I can’t think of one.
Again, I agree 100%. This goes way higher than football and right to the top, to royalty, top politicians, top businessmen, top police and others. I don’t believe that Epstein killed himself and think of the last three major cases in America, George Floyd, Rittenhouse and Depp vs Heard - all trials televised with media and politicians turning it into a daily circus. Now cut to Ghislaine Maxwell’s trial, no cameras in court, very little information leaked and once the case was closed the files were closed and the public never saw any of the evidence on display. These higher ups are being protected imo.

I only brought the SNP into this as it was their decision not to investigate religious and sporting institutions and I believe that was to pacify the Irish Catholic vote in Scotland as the SNP need them to maintain power in Scotland, so turning a blind eye to what Celtic has done without any hint of an investigation or allowing questions on the matter in parliament (I could be wrong about that one tbf) is a cover up at a lower level but I agree, this pedo crap goes way higher than Celtic and Scotland.

I am in no way and have never said this reluctance to have a true and thorough investigation is to protect Celtic only.,

Stein couldn't sack Torbett if he was employed by a separate entiry.

Stein couldn't sack Torbett even if he was employed by Celtic. Stein was responsible for team matters, not personnel matters.
It was never a separate entity so wouldn’t the boys club fall under football matters that would be under Stein’s purview. If so, he could sack Torbett. The story goes that he did sack Torbett but once Stein left, Torbett was allowed back in or am I reading this wrong?

That old bastard McNeil knew. Along with big Jock, Tommy Burns, Lou Macari, Fergus Mccann, The Kelly's and god knows who else. I also believe the Kelly's and Tommy Burns were far more involved than just knowing about it. Dirty evil pederast bastards every last one of them.

So is the narrative about Jock Stein completely wrong. He actually didn’t know. When he did know, he kicked the lady's front bottom out the door. The question is though, why or how did he not know? Why was Torbet let back in. Stein certainly wasn’t one without sin to be manipulated later on. So much points to other high ups at Celtic and not Stein.

Long time ago & not sure if been mentioned in this thread but was it not Lou Macari who said that ie that everyone knew & the open secret part .

No Macari didn't state that in his book. He said he was completely unaware of this abuse. Then a youth player claimed, he had been abused on a tour of North America. The youth complained to Macari.

He said it did come out later, that Stein knew about abuse, and had kicked out Torbett.

McNeill is not mentioned in this part of the book.

So is the narrative about Jock Stein completely wrong. He actually didn’t know. When he did know, he kicked the lady's front bottom out the door. The question is though, why or how did he not know? Why was Torbet let back in. Stein certainly wasn’t one without sin to be manipulated later on. So much points to other high ups at Celtic and not Stein.
You need to read up on this. Torbett was brought back to Celtic after Stein allegedly kicked him out for abusing kids. Stein went on to present him with awards at Boys Club functions.

You just have to look at Nicholas Fairbairn, Robert Henderson, the Edinburgh Magic Circle and more recently, the Angelina Kluk case, to see some very powerful people have questions to answer.

I could be wrong but I think the second version stems from someone recently asking the police if they had any records of it being reported and the police saying they couldn’t find any.

Every single one of them knew from Stein and his Lisbon Liars , Tommy Burns , Tom Boyd , Charlie Nicholas, Andy Walker, Pat Nevin , Lou Macari, Paul Mcstay , Davy Hay, Roy Aitken, Tosh Mackinlay, David Moyes , Frank Macavenney , Liam Brady. The Kelly's and the entire celtc board.and not to forget the then financial controller Mr.Separate Entity himself.

Last edited:
You need to read up on this. Torbett was brought back to Celtic after Stein allegedly kicked him out for abusing kids. Stein went on to present him with awards at Boys Club functions.
in one of the links I posted the video of stein at the club function with McNeil is there handing out prizes at a celtic boys club function

Neely was removed from his post immediately after an incident with a youngster whom he made feel uncomfortable whilst in his company.. His behaviour prior to joining Rangers is not down to Rangers if Hibs covered any abuse up by not informing the Polis or Rangers.

Again, I agree 100%. This goes way higher than football and right to the top, to royalty, top politicians, top businessmen, top police and others. I don’t believe that Epstein killed himself and think of the last three major cases in America, George Floyd, Rittenhouse and Depp vs Heard - all trials televised with media and politicians turning it into a daily circus. Now cut to Ghislaine Maxwell’s trial, no cameras in court, very little information leaked and once the case was closed the files were closed and the public never saw any of the evidence on display. These higher ups are being protected imo.

I only brought the SNP into this as it was their decision not to investigate religious and sporting institutions and I believe that was to pacify the Irish Catholic vote in Scotland as the SNP need them to maintain power in Scotland, so turning a blind eye to what Celtic has done without any hint of an investigation or allowing questions on the matter in parliament (I could be wrong about that one tbf) is a cover up at a lower level but I agree, this pedo crap goes way higher than Celtic and Scotland.

I am in no way and have never said this reluctance to have a true and thorough investigation is to protect Celtic only.,
Reading the last sentence you posted Jabber, apologies if you read it that I was questioning you. I wasn’t at all. I was just giving my opinion on the hierarchy agenda to ignore the institutional paedo problems this cess pit of a country has.

I agree with what you’ve said.
the catholic SNP vote comments may well be true. I suppose they have to do anything they can to stay in power, but actively avoiding these issues is not just a dereliction of duty. It’s criminal in its own right, imo.

If there’s any justice in the world, the class action lawsuit will have its day in court to tell the world the truth. I hope with every fibre of my being that this cancerous establishment is held to the full power of the courts and that it brings the victims and their families some sort of justice and closure, if that’s possible.

Back