McCoist Scotland goal tally?

WinkieWATP

Banged them in left right and centre for us but I stuck the highlights from last nights game on there and had a check when they said McGinn was now 7th on the all time top goalscorer list for Scotland. Another 3 and he will pass Super.

I was quite surprised when I saw Ally had only scored 19 goals for Scotland. I grew up idolising the man but I’ll be honest I’ve never really paid that much attention to the National side (only game I’ve ever been to was with the high school team v Russia) outwith when they do actually qualify which they actually tended to do back then.

I was even more surprised to learn that Miller has more Scotland caps than McCoist also whilst checking.

For some reason Scotland's top scorers/most caps have always seemed to lag miles behind other countries - the likes of McFadden and Ferguson ended up with about 50 caps, and 15/20 goals has you near the top of the all time list
They've never been that good and they get knocked out of every tournament in the first round.

My memory is that he never really got going with a string of games & goals.

His partnership with Mo Johnston in the 1990 World Cup qualifying campaign was excellent though - they both grabbed a few goals in that campaign.
Rab, let’s face it - Roxburgh was a wanker. He kept chopping and changing the strike force. And wee Craig wasn’t much better in that regard truth be told.

Probably a good point but I imagine as much as it's relative, the smaller the population, the more chances of players having more caps. Maybe a slightly wider pool of talent to choose from?

And Spain for example also have loads of players with 100+ caps, maybe Scotland sit somewhere between the two - bigger population but players not good enough for that many caps.

McCoist had roughly a 1 in 3 goal tally for Scotland, same as Dalgleish.
That was another thing I noticed. McGinn had almost the same amount of caps in practically half the time.

Noticed also Johnston only had 38 caps but is still top 10 tied with McFadden on 14 goals.

Is there more international fixtures than there used to be?

That was another thing I noticed. McGinn had almost the same amount of caps in practically half the time.

Noticed also Johnston only had 38 caps but is still top 10 tied with McFadden on 14 goals.

By miles.

Edit: At least feels that way :))

And Spain for example also have loads of players with 100+ caps, maybe Scotland sit somewhere between the two - bigger population but players not good enough for that many caps.
When you're the best, you stick with the best.

When you're terrible but have nobody to choose from, you stick what what you have.

When you aren't good and you have more to choose from, you give everybody a go. :D

John McGinn has pretty much been a regular for Scotland, fantastic talent to be honest. From memory McCoist was not always first choice and really think that impacted what his overall record could have been, 61 caps over 12 years whereas McGinn has 57 caps over 7 years

Several more countries mate - think Balkans

Johnston peaked relatively young and I think also had conflict with various Scotland managers during his international career. He fell out with Roxburgh at Italia '90 and that was him more or less done with Scotland after that.

Johnston peaked relatively young and I think also had conflict with various Scotland managers during his international career. He fell out with Roxburgh at Italia '90 and that was him more or less done with Scotland after that.

Johnston chucked International football at 27.

Came back a year later for one game and then chucked it again.

Probably a good point but I imagine as much as it's relative, the smaller the population, the more chances of players having more caps. Maybe a slightly wider pool of talent to choose from?
When did Ireland last field a team full of players born in Ireland? They took advantage of the grandparents rule more successfully than anyone.

Rab, let’s face it - Roxburgh was a wanker. He kept chopping and changing the strike force. And wee Craig wasn’t much better in that regard truth be told.
There was more competition up front at the time - Durie, Fleck, McInally, McClair (stop laughing), Johnston & McCoist (almost) all had justifiable claims to a starting place.. even McAvennie with his goals at West Ham & Celtic would have been a solid squad pick if he hadn’t black-balled himself from the international setup.
Duncan Ferguson’s emergence in the early 90s was another solid option.

Roxburgh seemed to ignore what most fans could see though - McCoist & Johnston was a great partnership, which produced goals for them and others in the team.

Andy Roxburgh was as culpable as anyone for Ally's under-performance with Scotland. A man with no credentials as a football manager, before or since.

Roxburgh should never have got the Scotland job.

Ferguson took charge for the 1986 World Cup but made it clear he didn't want to continue in international football. The SFA should have gone for Jim McLean.

Aye, since Johnston finished with Scotland the USSR has been replaced with Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Moldova. Yugoslavia have been replaced by Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina and
Montenegro. Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino and Faroe Isles are international teams now. Czechs split up and play as Czechia and Slovakia.

Last edited:
John McGinn has pretty much been a regular for Scotland, fantastic talent to be honest. From memory McCoist was not always first choice and really think that impacted what his overall record could have been, 61 caps over 12 years whereas McGinn has 57 caps over 7 years
Competition for places was fiercer in all areas of the pitch then, save for Roxburgh being a schoolteacher and giving everyone a game to keep players turning up for squads.

McCoist had competition in the form of Mo Johnston, Frank McAvennie, Gordon Durie, Brian McClair, David Speedie, Graeme Sharp, Alan McInally, Charlie Nicholas, Eamonn Bannon, Robert Fleck, John Robertson, Scott Booth, Duncan Shearer, Darren Jackson, Billy Dodds.

Bit different from Che Adams dukin’ it out with Lyndon Dykes.

P.S. Super was the best poacher of them all bar none. And he did the business over a sustained period bar injuries.

There was more competition up front at the time - Durie, Fleck, McInally, McClair (stop laughing), Johnston & McCoist (almost) all had justifiable claims to a starting place.. even McAvennie with his goals at West Ham & Celtic would have been a solid squad pick if he hadn’t black-balled himself from the international setup.
Duncan Ferguson’s emergence in the early 90s was another solid option.

Roxburgh seemed to ignore what most fans could see though - McCoist & Johnston was a great partnership, which produced goals for them and others in the team.

Look at the strikers we left behind in 86 - McCoist, McClair, Johnston and Robertson scored about 80 goals between them that season. Even Frank McDougall was a super striker for Aberdeen. All brilliant goal scorers in our league. Never got a sniff in Mexico.

Johnston chucked International football at 27.

Came back a year later for one game and then chucked it again.

Yeah, didn't something happen with him and Jim Bett? No social media back then, so of course every detail wasn't published for all to see.

He had quite the summer that year in Italy between the national team and then the brouhaha during pre-season when he behaved like a complete pest on the bevvy in the hotel.

I do wonder if that was due to the incredible pressure he had been subjected to? Or maybe he was just slipping back into his old ways? He was still good during 1990-91 but not at the levels he had been at before imo.

Scored a double v France in 1989.

The overhead kick was against Cyprus

I was only 9. Funny the things you can remember though. I can remember full mornings getting ready to go to cup finals. Cutting up magazines/newspapers and filling bin bags to throw up as the teams come out, my dad and uncle leaving to go for a pint and telling us where and when to meet them for the bus yet seeing that video you’ve posted I have no recollection at all of there being no roof on the terracing at Hampden.

Reactions: SDF
Back