McCoist Scotland goal tally?

That was another thing I noticed. McGinn had almost the same amount of caps in practically half the time.

Noticed also Johnston only had 38 caps but is still top 10 tied with McFadden on 14 goals.

Is there more international fixtures than there used to be?
Did not know that was Johnston international record. 14 goals from 38 caps is outstanding.

There was more competition up front at the time - Durie, Fleck, McInally, McClair (stop laughing), Johnston & McCoist (almost) all had justifiable claims to a starting place.. even McAvennie with his goals at West Ham & Celtic would have been a solid squad pick if he hadn’t black-balled himself from the international setup.
Duncan Ferguson’s emergence in the early 90s was another solid option.

Roxburgh seemed to ignore what most fans could see though - McCoist & Johnston was a great partnership, which produced goals for them and others in the team.
Imagine telling younger fans that the 86 World Cup, Scotland took:

Archibald (Barcelona striker)
Sharp (just won a European trophy with Everton)
McAvennie (second top scorer in English top flight)
Charlie Nicholas (played for Arsenal.

Leaving behind several top strikers

Edit: Already mentioned.

Yeah, didn't something happen with him and Jim Bett? No social media back then, so of course every detail wasn't published for all to see.

He had quite the summer that year in Italy between the national team and then the brouhaha during pre-season when he behaved like a complete pest on the bevvy in the hotel.

I do wonder if that was due to the incredible pressure he had been subjected to? Or maybe he was just slipping back into his old ways? He was still good during 1990-91 but not at the levels he had been at before imo.

The pressure he was under was unbearable TBF. That doesn't excuse him acting like a fanny. Was it Hateley that supposedly battered him under the guise of Scott Nisbet's mattress ?

Not many would've got a second chance with Souness, even by apologising like he did, Think that spoke volumes.

On current form I can see Scotland getting a win on Tuesday.

England were dog shit tonight.
We will see mate.

England will be up for it.

If Scotland do the business regardless of the England line up/performance it will be a serious shot in the arm for maintaining the confidence levels.

We will see mate.

If Scotland do the business regardless of the England line up/performance it will be a serious shot in the arm for maintaining the confidence levels.
Not sure how up for it England will be.

It’s a fixture which matters more to Scotland, plus it’s at Hampden.

Someone mentioned that Scotland will be in either Pot 1 or 2 for the draw for the Euros next summer. When you factor in that some of the 3rd placed sides go through to the knockout phase, this really is a great opportunity for Scotland to play knockout football in a major tournament for the first time.

Not sure how up for it England will be.

It’s a fixture which matters more to Scotland, plus it’s at Hampden.

Someone mentioned that Scotland will be in either Pot 1 or 2 for the draw for the Euros next summer. When you factor in that some of the 3rd placed sides go through to the knockout phase, this really is a great opportunity for Scotland to play knockout football in a major tournament for the first time.
They’ll be stung by the inevitable press criticism in light of today’s draw, no?

You might well be right mate, but I’ll stick to my prediction. They love to rub our noses in it. It’ll be interesting to see if Clarke can get the better of Southgate.

Motherwell he got his caps. Ended up at Hearts after playing at Twente in Holland.

Rab Shannon was the Motherwell defender who ended up at United.
Had a look at the caps:

Boyd = 72
Malpas = 55 (surprised it’s as little as that)
McKinlay = 22
Robbo = 3
McKinnon = 3

Just shouldn’t be the case.

We will see mate.

get somebody on Maguire and they'll get a hat-trick

feels like Southgate is waiting for his major mistake to finally remove him and it's getting closer to happening in the tournament itself next year

Robertson told Brown if he wasn't going to play him then don't bother selecting him. He wasn't leaving his family to sit on a bench for a week at a time.
People talk about how much the FB position has changed but I see a lot of similarities in D.Robertson and A. Robertson’s games.

That Tom Boyd has nearly 70 caps more is a fucking joke. Same as he used to pick Leighton ahead of Goram.

There was more competition up front at the time - Durie, Fleck, McInally, McClair (stop laughing), Johnston & McCoist (almost) all had justifiable claims to a starting place.. even McAvennie with his goals at West Ham & Celtic would have been a solid squad pick if he hadn’t black-balled himself from the international setup.
Duncan Ferguson’s emergence in the early 90s was another solid option.

Roxburgh seemed to ignore what most fans could see though - McCoist & Johnston was a great partnership, which produced goals for them and others in the team.
None of the players mentioned were in the same class as McCoist and Johnston as goalscorers. The only player when on form who could possibly challenge them imho would be Frank McAvennie. McClair had goalscoring attributes for Man U but nothing like those three as far as natural poaching ability was concerned. Charlie Nick was a prettier player (and electric in a strong Celtic team in domestic football) than them all but was too slow for international football.

For me, McCoist was single minded, in fact, tunnel visioned in what he wanted to achieve as an international player and never pissed his talent away like others did. That’s why he had the longevity that he had if you ask me.

Look at Thumb - washed up at 32. If he was a dedicated pro like Coisty, Scotland could have a reasonably handy strike force today. But alas Lyndon Dykes has to be relied upon to perform a thankless task. Fair play to the big Aussie as he’s pitched in with a few vital goals for Clarke.

People talk about how much the FB position has changed but I see a lot of similarities in the way D.Robertson and A. Robertson’s games.

That Tom Boyd has nearly 70 caps more is a fucking joke. Same as he used to pick Leighton ahead of Goram.

Boyd ended up at centre back for about 3 years for Scotland which is why McKinlay got 20 odd caps between 95-98.

McLaren used to be in a back three with Hendry and Calderwood, once his injuries kicked in, Boyd moved centrally and McKinlay got the nod at LB.

People talk about how much the FB position has changed but I see a lot of similarities in D.Robertson and A. Robertson’s games.

I watched some of the old scotland games the bbc had on during lockdown, and boyd actually stood out a bit- when he was playing at fb 1990-92 era. Particularly fitness wise.
Obviously a squinty eyed bigot these days

None of the players mentioned were in the same class as McCoist and Johnston as goalscorers. The only player when on form who could possibly challenge them imho would be Frank McAvennie. McClair had goalscoring attributes for Man U but nothing like those three as far as natural poaching ability was concerned. Charlie Nick was a prettier player (and electric in a strong Celtic team in domestic football) than them all but was too slow for international football.

For me, McCoist was single minded, in fact, tunnel visioned in what he wanted to achieve as an international player and never pissed his talent away like others did. That’s why he had the longevity that he had if you ask me.

Look at Thumb - washed up at 32. If he was a dedicated pro like Coisty, Scotland could have a reasonably handy strike force today. But alas Lyndon Dykes has to be relied upon to perform a thankless task. Fair play to the big Aussie as he’s pitched in with a few vital goals for Clarke.
Maybe the injuries affected Charlie, I remember Nicholas getting carried off in quite a few games, eg for the national team at Wembley in mid 80's and v Denmark in 86 WC.

I was surprised a few years ago when Morelos was breaking McCoist's all time European record for us. 20 odd goals isn't much at all.

I watched some of the old scotland games the bbc had on during lockdown, and boyd actually stood out a bit- when he was playing at fb 1990-92 era. Particularly fitness wise.
Obviously a squinty eyed bigot these days
I watched them too, never realised how good our 74 team was until I saw it. I only remember Davie Hay as a manager, was amazed to find he was a Rolls Royce of a player.

Maybe the injuries affected Charlie, I remember Nicholas getting carried off in quite a few games, eg for the national team at Wembley in mid 80's and v Denmark in 86 WC.
Champagne Charlie.

Say what you like about his diction, but he was a class act on the pitch. Some of the goals he scored in his early days for Arsenal were outstanding. As you say, injuries and lifestyle contributed to him not achieving the heights that he could have. He even showed glimpses of his undoubted class for Aberdeen on more than one occasion.

But, I maintain - Super trumps them all when it comes to sticking the ball away.
McCoist was dedicated. He still is today in his work as a pundit.

Last edited:

The Denmark tackle was a shocker TBF. Klaus Berggreen done him as he's going through on goal.

There's a book on that Danish team and he says in it something like "What I did, I did for Denmark"

Griffiths was an idiot. Had something about him in terms of ability but never had the attitude to achieve his potential. There was a brief period for Scotland ( about 6 months) under strachan I remember him getting his act together and it did make a huge difference to an average team, having a half decent striker. But he reverted to his jakey ways and Strachan binned him.
Big factor in why Scotland are doing so well at the moment is the fact the big players- Robertson, Mcginn, Mctominay and even dare I say it Tierney- are not bams.

To be fair, McGinn is a very decent player. I know Robertson is the captain and there are other experienced guys like McTominay and McGregor, but it’s pretty obvious listening to interviews that McGinn is the main man in the Scotland team.

I watched them too, never realised how good our 74 team was until I saw it. I only remember Davie Hay as a manager, was amazed to find he was a Rolls Royce of a player.
I dunno your age but 74 was before my time. But that Bremner miss is still heartbreaking. I found the ones I could remember as a kid but now watching as an adult much interesting. Another who surprised me was Dave Mcpherson. Obviously got a wee bit of stick in his time and thats maybe more what I remembered than the player himself but looked pretty good in the 90 and 92 games they showed. And he's the first player I ever saw score for Rangers.

Griffiths was an idiot. Had something about him in terms of ability but never had the attitude to achieve his potential. There was a brief period for Scotland ( about 6 months) under strachan I remember him getting his act together and it did make a huge difference to an average team, having a half decent striker. But he reverted to his jakey ways and Strachan binned him.
Big factor in why Scotland are doing so well at the moment is the fact the big players- Robertson, Mcginn, Mctominay and even dare I say it Tierney- are not bams.
Agreed mate. Those guys are dedicated pros. That’s why they are performing at the highest level on a weekly basis.

Their hard work is being rewarded - fair play to every one of them in that regard.

Thumb is just a rocket.

Did he score an over head kick v France late 80’s early 90’s?

That’s one memory I seem to have of being a kid watching Scotland?
I always thought that it was against France too but as others have said it was Cyprus. I must have been at both as I definitely saw the overhead kick live and us beating France surpringly easily.

Imagine telling younger fans that the 86 World Cup, Scotland took:

Archibald (Barcelona striker)
Sharp (just won a European trophy with Everton)
McAvennie (second top scorer in English top flight)
Charlie Nicholas (played for Arsenal.

Leaving behind several top strikers

Edit: Already mentioned.
Yet we still couldn't score a bloody goal against 10 man Uruguay to qualify out the groups.

They’ll be stung by the inevitable press criticism in light of today’s draw, no?

You might well be right mate, but I’ll stick to my prediction. They love to rub our noses in it. It’ll be interesting to see if Clarke can get the better of Southgate.
It was a draw the last time they came up against each other. In fact our recent results against them is quite good despite the gulf in players

Super should have had one more goal. He should have taken the penalty against England in euro ‘96

That was another thing I noticed. McGinn had almost the same amount of caps in practically half the time.

Noticed also Johnston only had 38 caps but is still top 10 tied with McFadden on 14 goals.

Is there more international fixtures than there used to be?
A lot more, how many countries came out of Russia and the old Yugoslavia for instance, czechlozovakia split as well I'm sure there will be more

Roxburgh was a prick,Brown not much better.Boring as %^*& and always had favourites.Having Roy Aitken as captain summed them up tbh.

1991 (euro qualifying year) - 6 games
2023 (euro qualifying year) - 10 games

Almost double the games. The stat stands up for most years 30 apart.

Also there were less “wee”’teams back then.

That’s why we are seemingly hitting amazing numbers now.

Plus the management thought Alan McInally a better option than Super at the World Cup!!!

I always thought that it was against France too but as others have said it was Cyprus. I must have been at both as I definitely saw the overhead kick live and us beating France surpringly easily.
I was definitely at both (with my poor English dad :D ) and remember the France game being the wettest night I’d ever watched football (until Hampden 3 years later for the Robertson sending off game), but Scotland were brilliant that night.

Johnston and McCoist looked like the best front two combination in the world and I spent the whole bus journey home (if I remember right, it was the Greenock RSC bus) telling all the grown men that I wanted Rangers to sign Johnston so they could play together for Rangers.

”That will never happen son, he used to play for Celtic” - I was clearly a bit too young to remember his antics against us so my retort was “but he doesn’t play for them now, he plays in France”.

I was the happiest wee boy in the world a couple of months later :))

Banged them in left right and centre for us but I stuck the highlights from last nights game on there and had a check when they said McGinn was now 7th on the all time top goalscorer list for Scotland. Another 3 and he will pass Super.

I was quite surprised when I saw Ally had only scored 19 goals for Scotland. I grew up idolising the man but I’ll be honest I’ve never really paid that much attention to the National side (only game I’ve ever been to was with the high school team v Russia) outwith when they do actually qualify which they actually tended to do back then.

I was even more surprised to learn that Miller has more Scotland caps than McCoist also whilst checking.
McCoist should have had more caps and the way he was treated at Italia '90 was ridiculous. To be fair to Miller he too should have had more caps as he was top drawer. Stein for some mental reason even used to play Miller in midfield at times.

Roxburgh was a prick but if Goram hadn't been such a mess at times Leighton would barely have won a cap after 1990.
Leighton only played 4 times for Scotland from 1990 to 1995. His own career went downhill and also the goalie was no1 then.

He got a few caps in 1995, but Goram was no1 for Euro96. He was terrific for Scotland in that tournament. It was pretty much his Scotland swansong though. Leighton took over after that.

Ally did well for Scotland when called upon.

Winning goals (Greece, I seem to recall), last minute poachers(1991 away to the Swiss) were some of the highlights.

As said above, it was a combination of poor management, the fact he was sidelined when he broke his leg and having some strong competition for number nine from team mates like Mo, Sharp or McClair.

To be fair to Brown, he did tend to pick McCoist when he was fit and in reasonable form. That's why I was shocked he didn't take Ally to France in 98.
Roxburgh, on the other hand was a clown and shouldn't have been anywhere near the top job for a national football team.

Banged them in left right and centre for us but I stuck the highlights from last nights game on there and had a check when they said McGinn was now 7th on the all time top goalscorer list for Scotland. Another 3 and he will pass Super.

I was quite surprised when I saw Ally had only scored 19 goals for Scotland. I grew up idolising the man but I’ll be honest I’ve never really paid that much attention to the National side (only game I’ve ever been to was with the high school team v Russia) outwith when they do actually qualify which they actually tended to do back then.

I was even more surprised to learn that Miller has more Scotland caps than McCoist also whilst checking.
He had to deal with some poor decisions not to play him as well.

Andy Roxborough in particular

Last edited:
Back