McCoist Scotland goal tally?

Griffiths was an idiot. Had something about him in terms of ability but never had the attitude to achieve his potential. There was a brief period for Scotland ( about 6 months) under strachan I remember him getting his act together and it did make a huge difference to an average team, having a half decent striker. But he reverted to his jakey ways and Strachan binned him.
Big factor in why Scotland are doing so well at the moment is the fact the big players- Robertson, Mcginn, Mctominay and even dare I say it Tierney- are not bams.

Is it the Hibs factor?

Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Leigh Griffiths.

All came through at Hibs, all fucked up their careers by being bams.

My memory is that he never really got going with a string of games & goals.

His partnership with Mo Johnston in the 1990 World Cup qualifying campaign was excellent though - they both grabbed a few goals in that campaign.
and then Roxburgh dropped him iin the actual tournament for Alan McInally.

That was just utterly bonkers. The next game McInally was dropped and he brought in Fleck.

Still maintain that was Scotlands best chance of getting out of the group stages of a world cup.

Brazil were nothing special compared to previous standards.

Sweden were badly out of form.

Costa Rica were average at best.

And four out of the six best placed 3rd finishers in the groups went through.

And Roxburgh still fucked it up.

Absolutely, but Ireland are similarly shit and have 10 players with 90+ caps - Scotland have two
ROI have always been shite and relied on the same player pool which was smaller than Scotland's.

That small they had 4 Scots and 2 English playing regularly for them in the late 80s in to the 90s

Scotland had an embarrassment of riches throughout the 80s to pick from

Then you look at some of the South American teams, loads of players getting over 100 caps. I think now there's more games than there were 30 years ago, you pretty much had qualifying for the 2 major championships and the odd friendly each season probably at maximum 10 internationals a season

and then Roxburgh dropped him iin the actual tournament for Alan McInally.
Absolutely bonkers wasn’t it?

I was actually quite into supporting Scotland during that World Cup qualifier campaign - went to the France and Norway games at Hampden.
France with my old man, Norway with my mates - 6 months or so apart but I went from wee boy to fully fledged football-attending teenager over that period.
Absolute belter of a strip as well.

Then you look at some of the South American teams, loads of players getting over 100 caps. I think now there's more games than there were 30 years ago, you pretty much had qualifying for the 2 major championships and the odd friendly each season probably at maximum 10 internationals a season
Oddly enough, I always think South American countries have guys amassing like 120 caps who have barely played any club football.

France 98 when McCoist was dropped from the squad for Durie (who was hopeless 97-98), Jackson (same), Scott Booth and Simon Donnelly was the biggest joke of them all.

McCoist probably scores against Norway when we batter them and can't get the winner.

McCoist wasn't a Scotland regular until his late twenties to be fair, it was the 1990 WC qualifiers which cemented his place as one of our main strikers. I've always held the belief that he was criminally underused at international level throughout his career.

By miles.

Edit: At least feels that way :))
There really has to be.
For example now there’s almost always 2 games in each break. Whether that’s qualifiers, Natijns league or friendlies, but almost always 2.
Up till the 90’s or probably early 2000’s, the players used to play for Rangers on a Saturday, go to Scotland on the Monday, play for Scotland on Wednesday, and then play for Rangers again on the Saturday. There was no international break, and it was fucking great!
Now it’s fycking 10 days of shite till the good stuff starts again!

That was another thing I noticed. McGinn had almost the same amount of caps in practically half the time.

Noticed also Johnston only had 38 caps but is still top 10 tied with McFadden on 14 goals.

Is there more international fixtures than there used to be?
Is this a serious question?

There's definitely more

Friendlies were more common back in the day than nowadays and I'd guess these don't count towards the stats

The pressure he was under was unbearable TBF. That doesn't excuse him acting like a fanny. Was it Hateley that supposedly battered him under the guise of Scott Nisbet's mattress ?

Not many would've got a second chance with Souness, even by apologising like he did, Think that spoke volumes.
What's the story here with Johnson? Think I've only ever heard it in podcast and audio doesn't slip in the same way for me lol

Billy Wright's tally of over 100 caps is incredible given he played at least early on where England would only be playing around 8 games per season.

Still maintain that was Scotlands best chance of getting out of the group stages of a world cup.

Brazil were nothing special compared to previous standards.

Sweden were badly out of form.

Costa Rica were average at best.

And four out of the six best placed 3rd finishers in the groups went through.

And Roxburgh still fucked it up.
and he dyed his hair

Banged them in left right and centre for us but I stuck the highlights from last nights game on there and had a check when they said McGinn was now 7th on the all time top goalscorer list for Scotland. Another 3 and he will pass Super.

I was quite surprised when I saw Ally had only scored 19 goals for Scotland. I grew up idolising the man but I’ll be honest I’ve never really paid that much attention to the National side (only game I’ve ever been to was with the high school team v Russia) outwith when they do actually qualify which they actually tended to do back then.

I was even more surprised to learn that Miller has more Scotland caps than McCoist also whilst checking.
His peak years coincided with the reign of two of the biggest fannies being manager in Roxburgh and Brown. They'd pick some garbage from Motherwell or Aberdeen before picking a Rangers player at times even though we were dominating Scottish football. Bomber Brown never got a cap, Robertson was behind Tosh McKinlay in the squad, Gough got dropped for calling them out as useless, Goram had to fight for his place against that bandy-legged, goofy bastard Leighton, and up front they'd pick the likes of Scott Booth and Alan McInally before McCoist. Insane.

Caps and goals are skewed now with twice as many games for friendlies, nations league, bigger euro and WC qualifying groups. It's not apples to apples.

Scotland had a 3 team qualifying group in 1978. Wales and Czechoslavakia. These days, you get 7 team groups.

Had a wee look at qualifying games between 1988 and 1994 tournaments (Ally’s imperious phase).

1988 only 1 goal - but I’m not sure how often he was starting.

1990 2 goals from 8 games. But you had Johnstone scoring 6, so was part of a partnership.

1992 4 goals from 8 games. And for part of the campaign he wasn’t a starter for Rangers.

1993 3 goals from 5 games. Missed 2 games v Estonia and 1 v Malta, where you would fancy him to score.

Johnston chucked International football at 27.

Came back a year later for one game and then chucked it again.

It's not often I'd recommend a Chick Young book but his book 'Mo', published in the summer of 1988, is quite interesting. Johnston's biggest ambition in the book is to play for Scotland at a World Cup Finals. It dominates more than any other club consideration though he does say he would consider signing for Rangers. I always felt that Johnston satisfied his ambition in 1990 and was never the same player afterwards. His career kind of peters out really.

Johnston also says he and McBungle argued on a Scotland trip back from Saudi Arabia in February 1988 and it confirmed his suspicion that he could never have played for McBungle. Something McBungle should have read before May 1989.

Caps and goals are skewed now with twice as many games for friendlies, nations league, bigger euro and WC qualifying groups. It's not apples to apples.

Scotland had a 3 team qualifying group in 1978. Wales and Czechoslavakia. These days, you get 7 team groups.
Same for WC 74. A 3 team group Scotland, Denmark, and Czechoslovakia. That side is lauded, but qualification was a lot easier then.

Back