Billy McNeil Quote "Open Secret" Daily Record

No Macari didn't state that in his book. He said he was completely unaware of this abuse. Then a youth player claimed, he had been abused on a tour of North America. The youth complained to Macari.

He said it did come out later, that Stein knew about abuse, and had kicked out Torbett.

McNeill is not mentioned in this part of the book.
I never mentioned his book, maybe someone else did, but I didn't.

But he did say it in a tv interview or in an interview of some sort .

Torbett also helped arrange Tommy Burns Testimonial for Celtic FC (which doesn't sound like a Celtic Boys Club role)

Screenshot-20230909-024915-Chrome.jpg

Stein couldn't sack Torbett if he was employed by a separate entiry.

Stein couldn't sack Torbett even if he was employed by Celtic. Stein was responsible for team matters, not personnel matters.
HR was a bit different back then, as was the manager’s role.
The manager was in charge of every aspect of the playing side of the club.
Some clubs had a General Manager but that wasn’t necessarily a higher level than manager.
Actually it was probably where the phrase “moved upstairs” came from which was a bit of a misnomer, the true meaning being “moved out of the way”.
Rangers, with Waddell and Wallace was a bit different though.

Reading the last sentence you posted Jabber, apologies if you read it that I was questioning you. I wasn’t at all. I was just giving my opinion on the hierarchy agenda to ignore the institutional paedo problems this cess pit of a country has.

I agree with what you’ve said.
the catholic SNP vote comments may well be true. I suppose they have to do anything they can to stay in power, but actively avoiding these issues is not just a dereliction of duty. It’s criminal in its own right, imo.

If there’s any justice in the world, the class action lawsuit will have its day in court to tell the world the truth. I hope with every fibre of my being that this cancerous establishment is held to the full power of the courts and that it brings the victims and their families some sort of justice and closure, if that’s possible.
Agree 100% with everything you said. I’m glad you brought up that this goes higher than Celtic and right to the top of the people running this planet. This pedo enabling and ignoring victims must be eradicated worldwide and it will take some very high people to get life sentences or death penalty to get the message across. I want these pedos shitting their pants and living a life of misery when eventually the dam breaks on the protections they have been given.

'If it wasn't for these boys you'd be going to jail for a long while'. Precisely the reason he should have called the police and the perv wouldn't have had the opportunity to harm more boys. Shame on you Stein.
This was a man that didn’t call the police because he didn’t want his own achievements overshadowed or undone, that was the real reasons before the good name of the club. I hope that statue of him and every good account of him is whitewashed from history. How the orange order allowed this snake entrance is anyone’s guess.

There also seems to be a few different photos I have seen on this forum of Jimmy Saville with Roman Catholic clergy and a representative of them. He was a RC as well. Do we even know how often he went there? I don't think it was for the football, do you? The RC cult has previous form for the rape of nuns and of course murder, for hundreds of years. It is not beyond reason to believe that from the outset there was child abuse at this club or those who worked there, were doing it. Full investigation required, going back for as long as it can.
It’s also a huge overlooked (coincidence maybe) that Gerry McCann worked as a Celtic physio in the 1990s.

I think Torbett was involved in a few testimonial committees
The unscrupulous individuals willingly accepting coin from Torbett and testimonials is unashamedly high ,however they would argue charities also benefited ?
These activities all contributed towards Torbetts popularity and presence in directors boxes at matchdays. As had been stated in previous posts he had access to all at parkhead.

You really are a glutton for punishment, I'll give you that.

Apsley Ger, who started this thread. lifted the quote from a forum called Not606, created after the old BBC606 forum went down the tubes

The article was written by Daily Record Reporter, Gordon McIlwraith, on July 11th 1998:

Not606 is a mixed forum and I was at war with a bitter bastard called DevAdvocate - I had Spin City come over from the old FF Board to put him straight on a few things about Jock Stein and the cover up.

At the time of arguing with DevAdvocate I believed the McNeill "open secret" was a fact, and used it against him in the debate.

So the part Apsley Ger quoted...

was added by me, and not Gordon McIlwraith.
A long time, and a few identities ago I might add... ;)

Dev was a bitter bastard, that's for sure, but re-reading that thread again it's typical of the scum that him and others of his ilk tried every deflection tactic in the book. 'Where's yer proof', 'different time, different standards', 'yees ur aw bigots', blah, blah, blah.

Nothing ever changes with these mutant cunts.

One thing is for sure, Justice will never be driven from their direction, it will always have to come from outside.

Caldow, I was 17 when the Neely thing happened and I’m asking this question as I have heard 2 accounts of what happened and I’m genuinely not sure which one is true. They are basically the same with one change.

1) Neely abused a boy at Ibrox.
2) He reported it to his Dad.
3) His Dad demanded a meeting with Souness - apparently Sir Walter was present too. They listened to the boys story.
4) They interviewed Neely, he confessed.
5) Souness fired him on the spot and informed the police and told the Dad the police were informed.

The other story I heard was that points 1-4 were correct but:

5) Souness fired him and told the Dad the police were informed but when the Dad contacted the police, no report had been filed.

If the second version is true it could get us into trouble for not reporting it.

I have no clue which point 5 is true.

I remember in the next week or so, Neely’s departure was confirmed in the Rangers News, Neely seemed to leave Rangers quietly. If I’m wrong, can you tell me what really happened?

Obviously the second version of point 5 would suit Celtic supporters down to the ground as they could accuse us of a cover up although it be hypocrisy on a gigantic scale.
Not having a go at you but that is a pile of shit based on a half-truth.

It was the boy himself, as an adult, who went looking for the Police Report and the Police told him they couldn't find a record of a Report being made.

Bear in mind this is a Report filed before everything was computer-logged and a Report which didn't lead to any further action, so therefore just another piece of paper to be filed.

Also bear in mind that the Police Force who couldn't find a piece of paper filed years ago is also the same Force who lost ALL of the physical evidence of the hanging effigies at Celtic Park. And it only took them months to do that, not the 20+ years this Report was filed for.

Some other pertinent facts:

1. The boy's father was a senior serving Police Officer at the time of the incident. So imagine Rangers trying to cover up evidence of a crime when the boys father was a senior Cop.

2. The family are the ones who decided not to press charges, probably because they did not want to stigmatise their son.

Pressing charges was not something Rangers could do. The victim was the boy, not Rangers.

3. The son only went to the Press long after his Parents were both dead, and therefore not around to either corroborate or disavow his story regarding the filing of any Report.

4. The son would not know at the time whether a report had been filed or not unless his parents specifically told him. It doesn't take a great leap of the imagination to realise that his parents might have wanted to shield him from further distress.

5. Yes, the Rangers News reported Neely's departure and wished him well. Firstly it's unlikely anyone at the Rangers News knew the true story behind Neely's departure and secondly, even if they did they were not likely to mention it and prejudice any possible future legal action against Neely, especially when the boys parents wanted the matter dealt with privately.

You should see, by the way, the glowing eulogy the Celtic News gave Torbett after Stein booted him out. I'm sure someone on here might still have a scan of that article. I'm pretty sure Gordon Woods and the Spotlight team have it as well.

The scum use Neely and others to muddy the waters. That's the bottom line.

Obfuscate, Deflect and Deny. It's the Celtic way...

Last edited:
That article #1 including the court statements of Celtic directors, executives, management, ex captain, players and the staff from Celtic Boys club was adequate evidence that should have been investigated by The Scottish Governments Child Abuse Inquiry.

An absolute disgrace and travesty of justice for Scotland that the Enquiry kept such a narrow remit for its investigation I.e just abused children in carehomes. A lot of intelligent, decent people views this as an deliberate avoidance by government to investigate one of Scotland's major sporting institutions which they knew they would have to find guilty and this would have been a vote-loser from certain elements.

"Limited scope of investigations' (WIKI)'

'Abuse survivors have called on the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry remit to be widened out to include victims who were targeted outwith residential care. Lady Smith rejected this request.[78]

Survivors of child abuse have criticised the Inquiry for not investigating sports and leisure clubs or faith based organisations attended on a day-to-day basis.[79] In 2016, Kezia Dugdale the Scottish Labour Leader at the time, called on the Inquiry to be expanded to include football in light of the evidence of attacks on young players, stating unless the remit of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry was widened, the majority of abuse survivors would be “denied justice”.[80] Nicola Sturgeon refused to expand the Inquiry because it would take too long to conclude its investigations.[81] Other similar Inquiries have had wider terms of reference to include sport such as the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and have concluded in a shorter time than the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry.[82]

Survivors of child abuse were ignored when they called for the Inquiry to investigate all allegations of organised abuse and paedophile rings outside of residential care. Graeme Pearson Labour's justice spokesman said there should have been an investigation as to why the child abuse allegations against Tory MP Nicholas Fairbairn and barrister Robert Henderson QC were dropped by police, stating "Given the new knowledge we have of the powerful people involved in some of these cases, I think the time is right to revisit this and get a clear understanding of what went on and to ask if [the case] was abandoned, was it abandoned for the right reasons?"[83]

A survivor has criticised an Inquiry report as a 'cover up' as he was not allowed to give evidence about being trafficked to Ireland while in care. Mr Sharp said: “There's no mention of being taken over to Ireland, despite lots of men coming forward and saying the same thing happened to them.[84]'

looks like there might be a date to work on

The quote below is a direct quote from the man voted by the Celtic fan’s as Celtic Football Club’s greatest ever Captain and a former twice time Celtic Football Club manager, Billy McNeill.

“It (Torbett’s crimes) was an open secret at Parkhead”

Billy McNeil, Evening Times, 13th November 1998

I think the scum's line of attack is that the quote appeared in a Newspaper article, they deny it was ever said in a Court Of Law...

It was a PHYSICAL accusation not SEXUAL .
He pulled down the boys shorts and pants and was going to spank him, although I don't think he actually did spank him.

By today's modern standards that would be a sexual assault I believe but yes, it was nowhere near the type of abuse which Torbett and others carried out.

I believe this is the article that was first quote back in the op.

It’s actually gut wrenching seeing this nonce defend his actions and doubling down on the abuse “I’m an affectionate big guy”

the-other-side-of-paradise.jpg

So without proof you can't go to the police but you can sack him?
Yep!! if a company knows your stealing or commiting an industrial misdemeanor, they might not be able to prove it to the police but they can sack you.
I remember an incident where I worked I guy was caught with stolen goods in a random search and the security guard took the stolen goods out of his bag, phoned the police, the police came and couldn't charge him as the police said the guard could have put them in the guy's bag, he was still sacked.
CELTC FOOTBALL CLUB ARE BAD AS THE PERPETRATORS!!!

It was the boy himself, as an adult, who went looking for the Police Report and the Police told him they couldn't find a record of a Report being made.

Bear in mind this is a Report filed before everything was computer-logged and a Report which didn't lead to any further action, so therefore just another piece of paper to be filed.

Also bear in mind that the Police Force who couldn't find a piece of paper filed years ago is also the same Force who lost ALL of the physical evidence of the hanging effigies at Celtic Park. And it only took them months to do that, not the 20+ years this Report was filed for.

1. The boy's father was a senior serving Police Officer at the time of the incident. So imagine Rangers trying to cover up evidence of a crime when the boys father was a senior Cop.

2. The family are the ones who decided not to press charges, probably because they did not want to stigmatise their son.

Pressing charges was not something Rangers could do. The victim was the boy, not Rangers.

3. The son only went to the Press long after his Parents were both dead, and therefore not around to either corroborate or disavow his story regarding the filing of any Report.

4. The son would not know at the time whether a report had been filed or not unless his parents specifically told him. It doesn't take a great leap of the imagination to realise that his parents might have wanted to shield him from further distress.

5. Yes, the Rangers News reported Neely's departure and wished him well. Firstly it's unlikely anyone at the Rangers News knew the true story behind Neely's departure and secondly, even if they did they were not likely to mention it and prejudice any possible future legal action against Neely, especially when the boys parents wanted the matter dealt with privately.

You should see, by the way, the glowing eulogy the Celtic News gave Torbett after Stein booted him out. I'm sure someone on here might still have a scan of that article. I'm pretty sure Gordon Woods and the Spotlight team have it as well.

If it’s a half truth, fair enough, that’s why I asked the question about the two stories. I didn’t know until yesterday that the guys Dad was a senior police officer.

If it’s a half truth, fair enough, that’s why I asked the question about the two stories. I didn’t know until yesterday that the guys Dad was a senior police officer.
They desperately want to accuse us of a cover-up but they can't when they know the boy's dad was a Cop.

In fact, if the dad had wanted Neely arrested he could have done it himself. He was at the meeting where Neely confessed.

Last edited:
They desperately wantbto accuse us of a cover-up but they can't when they know the boy's dad was a Cop.

In fact, if the dad had wanted Neely arrested he could have done it himself. He was at the meeting where Neely confessed.
Agreed but is there a reason why he didn’t arrest him, do you know, I wish I did?

Agreed but is there a reason why he didn’t arrest him, do you know, I wish I did?
I don't know, but I can speculate.

The offence, although disgusting and despicable was relatively minor. Would the dad, who most probably had experience of these types of proceedings in his life as a Policeman, really have wanted to put his son through the ordeal of having to give a statement and then go to Court to give evidence if the allegations got that far..?

He would know his son's life at school would have been one of merciless teasing, bullying and innuendo had any of this reached the newspapers - protection of children's identities wasn't a thing back then.

Even if they went through it all and Neely was found guilty what would he have been found guilty of..? Common assault maybe..? His Lawyer would have certainly argued against it being any kind of sexual abuse. He'd probably argue that Neely wanted to punish the boy for some misdemeanour, but in his anger went too far. He'd argue that Neely realised this before he actually carried through the punishment and that's why he stopped.

If you look at the boy's account of the attack, any Lawyer could easily make it look that way.

So on balance, risk v reward, the father probably thought it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
Looking to trash the reputations of Stein/McNeil in this way is not something that reflects well on us in others eyes, and there's a good reason for it.

Two managers and a captain, of course, but if you hear of something in your place of work that requires police involvement then the responsibility lies with those at the top, whether it be an operations manager or a board member. Even if a complaint is taken to Stein or McNeil, chiefs will expect it to be forwarded to them before it is taken outside of the company.

Buck stops with those at the top, so picking out two specific characters further down the food chain will seem unjustifiable to any neutral looking in.

LIST OF THOSE WITH GREATER ROLE OF DISHONOUR

Bob Kelly 1947-1971
James Farrell 1964-1994
Desmond White 1971-1985
Kevin Kelly 1971-1994
John McGinn 1981-1994
Chris White 1981-1994
Tom Devlin 1985-1986
Tom Grant 1985-1994
Jack McGinn 1986-1991
Brian Dempsey 1990
Terry Cassidy 1990-1992
Michael Kelly 1990-1994
David Smith 1992-1994

Not for one minute am I saying that any sort of respect is due for Stein or McNeil, but as far as Celtic's Boys Club goes they're not even in the top ten when it comes to the names of shame.

Looking to trash the reputations of Stein/McNeil in this way is not something that reflects well on us in others eyes, and there's a good reason for it.

Two managers and a captain, of course, but if you hear of something in your place of work that requires police involvement then the responsibility lies with those at the top, whether it be an operations manager or a board member.

Buck stops with those at the top, so picking out two specific characters further down the food chain will seem unjustifiable to any neutral looking in.

ROLE OF DISHONOUR

Bob Kelly 1947-1971
James Farrell 1964-1994
Desmond White 1971-1985
Kevin Kelly 1971-1994
John McGinn 1981-1994
Chris White 1981-1994
Tom Devlin 1985-1986
Tom Grant 1985-1994
Jack McGinn 1986-1991
Brian Dempsey 1990
Terry Cassidy 1990-1992
Michael Kelly 1990-1994
David Smith 1992-1994

Not for one minute am I saying that any sort of respect is due for Stein or McNeil, but as far as Celtic's Boys Club goes they're not even in the top ten when it comes to the names of shame.
I disagree, Stein is a central character in all of this. He knew what Torbett did. He knew enough to boot him unceremoniously out of the Club. He knew enough that the scandal would ruin Celtic's 'good name' (sic).

Stein actually took action which turned out in the end to be inaction. Stein could have blown the whole sordid mess wide open, instead he left the way for more children to be abused. And he knowingly did so.

I disagree, Stein is a central character in all of this. He knew what Torbett did. He knew enough to boot him unceremoniously out of the Club. He knew enough that the scandal would ruin Celtic's 'good name' (sic).

Stein actually took action which turned out in the end to be inaction. Stein could have blown the whole sordid mess wide open, instead he left the way for more children to be abused. And he knowingly did so.
If you tell a work foreman of something that's going to need the police, and he goes straight to plod without first consulting his seniors he's going to be out the door.

Not excusing Stein, but worth bearing in mind that the responsibility lay with those above and he given how they acted all through the sorry saga the chances are he'd have been out of a job.

Two managers and a captain, of course, but if you hear of something in your place of work that requires police involvement then the responsibility lies with those at the top, whether it be an operations manager or a board member. Even if a complaint is taken to Stein or McNeil, chiefs will expect it to be forwarded to them before it is taken outside of the company.

LIST OF THOSE WITH GREATER ROLE OF DISHONOUR

Bob Kelly 1947-1971
James Farrell 1964-1994
Desmond White 1971-1985
Kevin Kelly 1971-1994
John McGinn 1981-1994
Chris White 1981-1994
Tom Devlin 1985-1986
Tom Grant 1985-1994
Jack McGinn 1986-1991
Brian Dempsey 1990
Terry Cassidy 1990-1992
Michael Kelly 1990-1994
David Smith 1992-1994

Stein kicked Torbett out and then brought him back, knowing full well he had abused kids. How much more shame do you want?

Stein kicked Torbett out and then brought him back, knowing full well he had abused kids. How much more shame do you want?
Far as I'm aware Stein did not re-appoint Torbett, but if he did I'll turn my mind around.

If you even mention this to them they go apoplectic with rage ,how very dare you that’s disgusting ....that’s the common response except now the facts are coming to light jock DID know and did nothing but he wasn’t the only one

It irks me massively that it’s coming to light there has been a cover up of epic proportions and yet you can’t mention it because it brings the good name of Celtic fc into it ,I’m sorry but Celtic fc is at the very heart of it ,they knew ,as a club they knew and now must face justice
They hit you with the "You are a bigot" card.

Far as I'm aware Stein did not re-appoint Torbett, but if he did I'll turn my mind around.
He presented him with awards at boys club functions AFTER he kicked him out for abusing kids. For somebody who had total control of the club, that's a strange thing to do.

If you tell a work foreman of something that's going to need the police, and he goes straight to plod without first consulting his seniors he's going to be out the door.

Not excusing Stein, but worth bearing in mind that the responsibility lay with those above and he given how they acted all through the sorry saga the chances are he'd have been out of a job.
It's almost certain Stein told people above him.

If they refused to act then Stein has a decision to make - protect children or protect his own skin.

We know which way he jumped on that particular issue.

It's not like he'd have never worked again.

He presented him with awards at boys club functions AFTER he kicked him out for abusing kids. For somebody who had total control of the club, that's a strange thing to do.
Indeed, and I take a very dim view of the man for tolerating it but when there is a whole cast of accused and so many above him the singling out of Stein looks very much like a case of jealousy regards his achievements.

And I say this as someone who sees our 71/72 as far superior to their 66/67 one. Four high-class kills for us (Rennes, Lisbon, Torino, Munich) against just two for them (Nantes, Inter). As well as this, Aberdeen's two in 1983 leave both Rangers and Celtic in the dirt.

Look at the list of the accused that I posted. Repeatedly shouting "Big Jock Knew" looks very much like something else when Stein is only one in a cast of criminals.

Indeed, and I take a very dim view of the man for tolerating it but when there is a whole cast of accused and so many above him the singling out of Stein looks very much like a case of jealousy regards his achievements.

And I say this as someone who sees our 71/72 as far superior to their 66/67 one. Four high-class kills for us (Rennes, Lisbon, Torino, Munich) against just two for them (Nantes, Inter). As well as this, Aberdeen's two in 1983 leave both Rangers and Celtic in the dirt.

Look at the list of the accused that I posted. Repeatedly shouting "Big Jock Knew" looks very much like something else when Stein is only one in a cast of criminals.
He didn't need to ask anybody above him for permission when he kicked him out originally. He was the main man in those days and was answerable to nobody.

He didn't need to ask anybody above him for permission when he kicked him out originally. He was the main man in those days and was answerable to nobody.
A man who is answerable to nobody cannot be unseated by the genius of Jock Wallace, or denied a move upstairs due to upstairs being reserved for voodoo sorts only.

Holding up Stein as if he's the one and only, or the ringleader, is as improper as saying that Davie Cooper finally delivered justice to him.

I don't know, but I can speculate.

The offence, although disgusting and despicable was relatively minor. Would the dad, who most probably had experience of these types of proceedings in his life as a Policeman, really have wanted to put his son through the ordeal of having to give a statement and then go to Court to give evidence if the allegations got that far..?

He would know his son's life at school would have been one of merciless teasing, bullying and innuendo had any of this reached the newspapers - protection of children's identities wasn't a thing back then.

Even if they went through it all and Neely was found guilty what would he have been found guilty of..? Common assault maybe..? His Lawyer would have certainly argued against it being any kind of sexual abuse. He'd probably argue that Neely wanted to punish the boy for some misdemeanour, but in his anger went too far. He'd argue that Neely realised this before he actually carried through the punishment and that's why he stopped.

If you look at the boy's account of the attack, any Lawyer could easily make it look that way.

So on balance, risk v reward, the father probably thought it wasn't worth it.
I hadn’t thought of some of those scenarios and can understand if the Dad stayed his hand.

Excellent analysis of the situation.

At least Neely never worked in football all again and is no longer with us.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Thedogman :)

A man who is answerable to nobody cannot be unseated by the genius of Jock Wallace, or denied a move upstairs due to upstairs being reserved for voodoo sorts only.

Holding up Stein as if he's the one and only, or the ringleader, is as improper as saying that Davie Cooper finally delivered justice to him.
I don't believe anyone does. But he's held as almost a deity by their support when he had not feet of clay, but feet of excrement.

The BJK campaign started when elements of their support wanted him posthumously knighted.

Sorry but you don't ennoble enablers.

This thread is a bit weird. A lot of members who are obviously interested enough to post many extended messages but are not aware of the information on the main Celtic child abuse thread.

Something else I wanted to add regarding Billy McNeil but unsure if true and I can't remember the source - possibly a Charlie Nicholas biography if there is such a thing. Would be useful to have this confirmed or denied.

Apparently Charlie Nicholas mother was worried about him going to/ being at Celtic - as she was obviously aware of the open secret, and Billy McNeil reassured her that he would make sure nothing would happen to Charlie.

The same police force that managed to lose the list of 14 suspects given by Gerry Mcsherry..

This thread is a bit weird. A lot of members who are obviously interested enough to post many extended messages but are not aware of the information on the main Celtic child abuse thread.

Something else I wanted to add regarding Billy McNeil but unsure if true and I can't remember the source - possibly a Charlie Nicholas biography if there is such a thing. Would be useful to have this confirmed or denied.

Apparently Charlie Nicholas mother was worried about him going to/ being at Celtic - as she was obviously aware of the open secret, and Billy McNeil reassured her that he would make sure nothing would happen to Charlie.
Stevie Fulton’s mother was also assured that young Stevie would be safe.

Caldow, I was 17 when the Neely thing happened and I’m asking this question as I have heard 2 accounts of what happened and I’m genuinely not sure which one is true. They are basically the same with one change.

1) Neely abused a boy at Ibrox.
2) He reported it to his Dad.
3) His Dad demanded a meeting with Souness - apparently Sir Walter was present too. They listened to the boys story.
4) They interviewed Neely, he confessed.
5) Souness fired him on the spot and informed the police and told the Dad the police were informed.

The other story I heard was that points 1-4 were correct but:

5) Souness fired him and told the Dad the police were informed but when the Dad contacted the police, no report had been filed.

If the second version is true it could get us into trouble for not reporting it.

I have no clue which point 5 is true.

I remember in the next week or so, Neely’s departure was confirmed in the Rangers News, Neely seemed to leave Rangers quietly. If I’m wrong, can you tell me what really happened?

Obviously the second version of point 5 would suit Celtic supporters down to the ground as they could accuse us of a cover up although it be hypocrisy on a gigantic scale.

My undersranding is Neely was fired for making a sleezy verbal comment(non physical abuse) to the boy

4 & 5 as you lighlighted though Rangers may well have reported it it could be the case the cops didn't seem worthy of chasing it up as it was a verbal and no actual assualt or physical abuse took place?

Torbett was kicked out of their boys club club in 1974 and allowed back 4 years later in 1978. Jack McGinn and Kevin Kelly both argued that they knew nothing of Torbetts previous crimes and conviction , and had no reason to stop him coming back. Hugh Birt was particularly vociferous in his disagreement and disgust of the situation , eventually losing his privileges at Parkhead and leaving him with no option other than to resign. Makes you wonder who were making the decisions above the chairman of the boys club ? ...Separate Entity my arse.

Last edited:
My undersranding is Neely was fired for making a sleezy verbal comment(non physical abuse) to the boy

4 & 5 as you lighlighted though Rangers may well have reported it it could be the case the cops didn't seem worthy of chasing it up as it was a verbal and no actual assualt or physical abuse took place?
Just seems that the tims are beyond desperate to equate Neely with their decades of child abuse and possibly child trafficking.

Their terrified that the image they have of being a club for the downtrodden and disenfranchised will be be blown away like a fart in the wind.

Once this really hits the headlines, I can’t wait for the deflection:

1) Neely.
2) EBT’s
3) They didnae sign tims for years.
4) They sing songs we don’t like.
5) They have a picture of the King in the dressing room.
6) Brexit is their fault.
7) We threw bananas at Walters to give him energy as he was running up and down the wing too fast.
8) Rangers trashed George square but when we did it is was ok because covid was over.

Torbett was kicked out of their boys club club in 1974 and allowed back 4 years later in 1978. Jack McGinn and Kevin Kelly both argued that they knew nothing of Torbetts previous crimes and conviction , and had no reason to stop him coming back. Hugh Birt was particularly vociferous in his disagreement and disgust of the situation , eventually losing his privileges at Parkhead and leaving him with no option other than to resign. Makes you wonder who were making the decisions above the chairman of the boys club ? ...Separate Entity my arse.
If they went to court the Kelly’s would be like Manuel in Fawlty Towers; “I know nothing”.

They’ll play the old and frail card looking for sympathy from the jury while knowingly lying their arses off. How you can forget a part of your history that lasts for decades?

Scotland on Sunday 18/08/1996

"To Jim Torbett's credit he phoned Jock Stein and admitted the offences," Cairney recalls. "Jock called a meeting at Celtic Park, which he chaired. He took all the financial statements off him and led him to the door. Torbett started crying. Jock's words were: 'Never mind the ****ing Hollywood stuff' and opened the door and said to him 'If it wasn't for these boys you'd be going to jail for a long while'. He opened the door and kicked him in the backside right out.
And there you have it. The then scum manager had the authority to sack the most senior individual within that boys club. Separate entity my royal blue arse.

He brought in Cairney to replace Torbett. Would that help change your mind?
It would not change the point that I'm making.

I am not here to act as Stein's defence. I wouldn't dream of doing so.

All I am saying is that there's more guilty men over there than you'll find in a ghetto, and although Stein's actions mean that he is undeserving of the term "human being", those looking in will understandably see it as a one-man character assassination for reasons of jealousy. They will see it as petty and obsessive.

Without a doubt a Grade A bastard, but not the most powerful bastard, and by no means the bastard responsible for the biggest calls at that bastard club. What he did was unforgiveable, I'm sure you'll agree, but the way that Rangers fans have dealt with this has been as far away from even-handed as you'll get.

So many pieces of shit to choose from, but it's always the same dollop.

May he rot in hell, but just when is it the turn of Desmond White and the rest?

Back