MOTM Poll Rangers v Motherwell - 15:00 Sunday - RangersTV UK

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even with blue tinted glasses on, the only positive from that was the 3 points.
However it actually feels like 90 mins of my life and £9.99 that I’ve just wasted.
The performance was dire and the first twenty five minutes or so of trying to play narrow through the middle, with misplaced pass after misplaced pass was just insane.
Nobody, but nobody to pass the ball to in a forward wide area (or space) so in effect we are just adding to the congestion that Motherwell were happy to create themselves.
Thought after Thursday we might have abandoned this narrow play as it’s given us zero success so far but no.
We played with two fast wide players in Wright and Matondo who arguably were playing on the wrong side of the pitch to where they are more effective, but not wide and essentially always hindered by the bodies around them.
Would have voted Lundstram but for the fact that in the end Butland effectively allowed us to win the game.

Imo, you are correct in your scenario. The board haven’t covered themselves in glory in picking success after success in managers. Gerrard and 55 aside, our ability to go forward from that to clinch titles has been sorely lacking. Yes, we can look at the huge one-off positive of a Euro Final, but on home turf it has been a big let-down, and as you say, the board has not shown enough savvy in selecting a person with a winning mentality and a style of play that backs that up. In that respect, again I agree that the board’s next choice will equally be a gamble.
I rate it more likely than not that replacing Beale would result in even worse.

To fixate on Beale is like being angry at mouse-droppings instead of killing the things leaving them all over the place. Beale and current state of things is merely a symptom. Why bother our arses looking at that given just how obvious the real problem is?

How can anyone fail to realise that "We've given Michael full control of recruitment" statement wasn't that shower of incapables setting up their defences well in advance?

When I ask people to lay off Beale, I do not do this as an admirer of his. I'm fully aware of his shortcomings, but I'm also aware of just how unavoidable this current situation was for him.

A team coach should NEVER be given full recruitment responsibilities in 2023. Landing him with that is sitting a noose by his side. He deserves sympathy every bit as much as criticism. Rangers have NEVER been as unfair to a team coach in all my years following the club. They landed Beale with a guessing game and an almost dead-cert reason to get rid and repeat with another poor sod appointed manager after him.

Dealing with him is a minor requirement for a support that inexplicably fails when it comes to the boardroom. That mob are proven guilty and even I can't offer a defence for them, and I always try to offer fairness to the point of attracting extreme criticism from my own. They're guilty as sin and we should be applying maximum force to them, not that incapable sod in the dugout regardless of his growing catalogue of blunders. GvB was worse, so Bears have to ask themselves if they'd like to tempt another dose of that.

The tims would've been wanting their board's heads on sticks long ago, and they'd be bang on the button in laying the symptom to one side until their board either fixed things or got out.

How do I make Blair Spittal our MotM in the poll?

His failures with shots and deliveries today were truly admirable.

Ian Ferguson couldn't have done us more good in an opposition shirt, and Blair's every bit as much a Bear as he is.

Had tims watched that and been aware of Blair's bluenose-rating it'd be conspiracies and paranoia from them at an off-the-scale level.

To fixate on Beale is like being angry at mouse-droppings instead of killing the things leaving them all over the place. Beale and current state of things is merely a symptom. Why bother our arses looking at that given just how obvious the real problem is?

How can anyone fail to realise that "We've given Michael full control of recruitment" statement wasn't that shower of incapables setting up their defences well in advance?

When I ask people to lay off Beale, I do not do this as an admirer of his. I'm fully aware of his shortcomings, but I'm also aware of just how unavoidable this current situation was for him.

A team coach should NEVER be given full recruitment responsibilities in 2023. Landing him with that is sitting a noose by his side. He deserves sympathy every bit as much as criticism. Rangers have NEVER been as unfair to a team coach in all my years following the club. They landed Beale with a guessing game and an almost dead-cert reason to get rid and repeat with another poor sod appointed manager after him.

Dealing with him is a minor requirement for a support that inexplicably fails when it comes to the boardroom. That mob are proven guilty and even I can't offer a defence for them, and I always try to offer fairness to the point of attracting extreme criticism from my own. They're guilty as sin and we should be applying maximum force to them, not that incapable sod in the dugout regardless of his growing catalogue of blunders. GvB was worse, so Bears have to ask themselves if they'd like to tempt another dose of that.

The tims would've been wanting their board's heads on sticks long ago, and they'd be bang on the button in laying the symptom to one side until their board either fixed things or got out.
This is a load of nonsense from you. Beale came in with this big reputation as a top coach and a great ability to see the the potential in players ability when making his move in the transfer market for them. I've yet to see all of this in him and have to ask how long do we have to put up with his soundbites as our manager. He's out of his depth as a football manager,not just as a Rangers manager but a football manager. The sooner we get rid of him and advertise and interview the best we can get the better for our club.

I didn’t manage to catch the game, heard bits and pieces on the radio and came on here to get the consensus before I watch the highlights later.

Butland MOTM says it all.

Sounds grim.
There was genuinely three or four occasions in our box where you would have thought we were trying to concede. I don’t think I have ever seen anything so farcical. We couldn’t make a simple pass. The worst defensive performance I have seen where managed to keep a clean sheet.

Some very good points in there.

I’ve given a bit of praise in the board this year. But again it goes back to the main problem. We have senior leadership who do well in the commercial world, not the football world.

There was genuinely three or four occasions in our box where you would have thought we were trying to concede. I don’t think I have ever seen anything so farcical. We couldn’t make a simple pass. The worst defensive performance I have seen were managed to keep a clean sheet.
Lammers was a belter. Literally chipped it into the middle of the six yard box. Insane

Just in from the game.

That was pretty abysmal and so frustrating to watch.

I really don't see where we are going with this team and where Beale is taking us.

It feels like it's only a matter of time before the usual ending to this Rangers film is upon us.
We couldn’t see that during the friendlies. And it hasn’t changed.

Eye bleedingly dire performance.
Could be worse. Look what's happening to Sheffield United. Think they'd take a very ugly 1-0 right now ....
3 pts one to forget.

This is a load of nonsense from you. Beale came in with this big reputation as a top coach and a great ability to see the the potential in players ability when making his move in the transfer market for them. I've yet to see all of this in him and have to ask how long do we have to put up with his soundbites as our manager. He's out of his depth as a football manager,not just as a Rangers manager but a football manager. The sooner we get rid of him and advertise and interview the best we can get the better for our club.
You haven't even dealt with the board's part in this. You are fixating on symptoms, not causes.

Reputation as top coach? Who built this reputation? Bears. Based on? Work with Gerrard. I certainly didn't regard him as such. I regarded him as preferable to GvB and no more, not an unmissable offer.

Spotting potential? See Cantwell and Butland, but our recruitment requirements far outstrip that and landing all of it on him was and is utterly ridiculous and incredibly unfair. That re-build involved far greater manpower and far wider scope. If it was maintaining a winning squad, there's an outside chance it'd have worked but our board demanded the impossible and landed full responsibility at a team coach's door. That's insanity.

And your all-eyes-Beale approach and willingness to throw another "Get Out of Jail Free" card at that board is merely tempting another dose of this disease.

He's a symptom, not the cause, and as low as his right to a defence is, a defence is still very easy to argue at a very limited extent.

Get that board targeted. Now.

After Thursday we all thought there was a flicker of a flame of hope. That display pissed all over it. Where on earth was Beale playing Wright. He seemed to be playing midfield most of the time. His pre match comment about why he was playing “ we need a dribbler today” was probably the most bizarre thing I’ve ever heard a Rangers manager say. By two minutes into extra time even he as rolling his eyes. He is way out of his depth as a manager and any rational person would have come to that conclusion today. The players certainly have. The board need to act now before this season gets more embarrassing by the match for the club.

Last edited:
You haven't even dealt with the board's part in this. You are fixating on symptoms, not causes.

Reputation as top coach? Who built this reputation? Bears. Based on? Work with Gerrard. I certainly didn't regard him as such. I regarded him as preferable to GvB and no more, not an unmissable offer.

Spotting potential? See Cantwell and Butland, but our recruitment requirements far outstrip that and landing all of it on him was and is utterly ridiculous and incredibly unfair. That re-build involved far greater manpower and far wider scope. If it was maintaining a winning squad, there's an outside chance it'd have worked but our board demanded the impossible and landed full responsibility at a team coach's door. That's insanity.

And your all-eyes-Beale approach and willingness to throw another "Get Out of Jail Free" card at that board is merely tempting another dose of this disease.

He's a symptom, not the cause, and as low as his right to a defence is, a defence is still very easy to argue at a very limited extent.

Get that board targeted. Now.
Sure the board have a part to play in the recruitment of Beale but at the end of the day the buck stops with Beale as manager, simple as that. We can't keep blaming the board for the managers infallibility as let's be honest they're just going on his reputation as a coach from his previous time at the club, however they have to see that the man is out of his depth as a manager and bear in mind the board are just supporters just like you and me

Also despite all our poor displays from game to game as a coach/manager what has Beale done to improve our performances at any time and add to that his decision making as regard substitutions is abysmal to say the least. He's the manager, he took the job on and should realize it's far beyond his capabilities. As a manager he's not improving the club in anyway whatsoever.

Some very good points in there.

I’ve given a bit of praise in the board this year. But again it goes back to the main problem. We have senior leadership who do well in the commercial world, not the football world.
This board has gambled since it sat its arse down, and one flutter with Gerard is their only bright spot. Even then, you have to balance that against Lennon shredding them like the dugout-dummy he is known to be.

Even off the park they launched an Anyone/Everyone campaign and ran it for a full season which stated "Hey, supporters, you're all bigots, racists, Islamophobes, homophobes and sexists, and we're telling the public this is the case and you'd better stop it."

Imagine our board landing that on us. The tims haven't imagined up worse crimes we're responsible for. Christ, I even tolerated pre-match support for that below-gutter-level BLM mob, and forgave Goldson for being duped by Rangers-hating hacks on that topic.

But our board has acted with maximum incompetence and without a spine since taking control. They're awful and they're getting away with murder on and off the pitch.

That was an awful game to watch, we are playing like an ordinary spl team. The manager needs replaced right now while we still have a chance of making some sort of title challenge. He has failed massively so far, his tactics, team selection and all the attacking players we have bought and we still fail to be a threat up front.

Caught the last 25 mins. 0 chances created while Motherwell have 3 genuine scoring chances. The enjoyment of watching us has been completely sucked out. There is ZERO style of play. We struggle to play out against a press and look to play longball to players who can’t hold it up or head it. The team is so bereft of creativity and quality it’s staggering. We’re stuck in a merry-go-round of mediocrity with so signs of being able to get off. Truly depressing.
This 100% that was putrid performance. No plan no passion no clue. And that’s just the manager. This is going to be a long season.

Sure the board have a part to play in the recruitment of Beale but at the end of the day the buck stops with Beale as manager, simple as that. We can't keep blaming the board for the managers infallibility as let's be honest they're just going on his reputation as a coach from his previous time at the club, however they have to see that the man is out of his depth as a manager and bear in mind the board are just supporters just like you and me

Also despite all our poor displays from game to game as a coach/manager what has Beale done to improve our performances at any time and add to that his decision making as regard substitutions is abysmal to say the least. He's the manager, he took the job on and should realize it's far beyond his capabilities. As a manager he's not improving the club in anyway whatsoever.
This is a club without a recruitment set-up to speak of.

Beale took a club in freefall and at least configured the brakes so as to make it a snail's-pace decline. Sure, we all wanted a positive velocity figure, but small minus is preferable to minus a million.

Getting that number into positive is impossible without a recruitment set-up.

Why fund a costly sacking and new name when no recruitment set-up is in place? It's beyond vital. Operating without is a surefire guilty verdict for a board I cannot trust.

Without any recruitment it's like being in the bookies, all wages spunked, and throwing the last £20 on any number in a dog race.

Doing this just now is just easing your anger for five minutes until the next shit-show arises, with the same inevitable doom to follow.

Rangers Board. I'm bored. Bears aiming their anger elsewhere when they're the only suitable target is tiresome. How many more times can they be allowed to get away with it? Without a recruitment set-up, they cannot realistically be forgiven here.

Sure, Beale's dodgy, and one up with Dessers incapable of it is him asking for it, but the board's proven guilty and should be our number one target. Then deal with Beale.

I said to my pal, nearly every domestic home game we’ve had for about the past 6 years has been dreadful (bar lockdown season). There’s no discernible difference from Warburtons SPL season - Murty - Caixinha - Gerrard at his worst - Gio - Beale.

As a fan base we are being ripped off for the price our domestic ST’s.
We need to break the chain of continuity from the past. It’s time for Borna, Tav, Goldson, all of them to go. We need to start with an entire new frame. These guys have failed as a project, they were brought in to dominate this league & they haven’t. Time to move on, we are Rangers.

Beale took a club in freefall and at least configured the brakes so as to make it a snail's-pace decline. Sure, we all wanted a positive velocity figure, but small minus is preferable to minus a million.

Why fund a costly sacking and new name when no recruitment set-up is in place? It's beyond vital. Operating without is a surefire guilty verdict for a board I cannot trust.

Without any recruitment it's like being in the bookies, all wages spunked, and throwing the last £20 on any number in a dog race.

Doing this just now is just easing your anger for five minutes until the next shit-show arises, with the same inevitable doom to follow.

Rangers Board. I'm bored. Bears aiming their anger elsewhere when they're the only suitable target is tiresome. How many more times can they be allowed to get away with it? Without a recruitment set-up, they cannot realistically be forgiven here.

Sure, Beale's dodgy, and one up with Dessers incapable of it is him asking for it, but the board's proven guilty and should be our number one target. Then deal with Beale.
How do you propose dealing with the board though.

Rubbish. No manager worth his salt should ever accept NOT have total control over recruitment. If Beale had a fraction of the ability that he was trumpeted as having he would have had a well coached, tactically aware and well motivated team on the pitch, despite the injury list. I can accept a hard fought 1-0 victory but seeing scrambled "lucky to get way with that" 3 points is a continuation of last year.

Just the same as most fans tonight, angry and frustrated. Trying to make some sense after that performance is very difficult. What I saw today convinced me we need to tear this team apart. Tav, Barisic, Goldson,Matondo, Sima, Dessers Wright and others need Chased. This is going to be a very long season.

Absolutely abysmal today - so Matondo goes off and we change to 3 at the back - the full backs were probably playing higher up the pitch before we changed to 3 - what the %^*& is he on….and Scott Wright - ffs….everything today screams of desperation from Beale, out of his depth with Corporal Jones on the bench beside him - don’t panic Captain Manwaring….

If he says they’re not doing what he says in training, then they’re not playing FOR him. Leaders in a dressing room would shut that down, unless they were part of the group that lead the dissent.

That dressing room has too many men that have overseen too many downings of tools. Kamara, Morelos & Kent were allowed to disrespect the badge at times with their lack of effort, any captain I want would have them either booted out the dressing room or excluded from the group socially.

We are a soft touch with a weak leadership group among the players. I’m tired of it, I have been for a long time. We’ve won %^*& all for a decade.

Rubbish. No manager worth his salt should ever accept NOT have total control over recruitment. If Beale had a fraction of the ability that he was trumpeted as having he would have had a well coached, tactically aware and well motivated team on the pitch, despite the injury list. I can accept a hard fought 1-0 victory but seeing scrambled "lucky to get way with that" 3 points is a continuation of last year.
Team coach has final say, but you're not factoring in the amount of support he needs for that full & final say to be done with competence. Doing so without a recruitment team is a bloody guessing game, and we are being treated to the inevitable results of a Grade A Mental-Asylum pot-luck approach to worldwide recruitment. How anyone expected anything other than this is beyond me.

Exactly and I'm very been saying the exact same.

How do you propose dealing with the board though.
Putting the frighteners up the bastards immediately. Surefire success when the tims do it.

Filth: "Imagine what's coming if you don't fix this."
Result? Fixed, and unwilling to see the same for some time.

That's why they shelled out for Rodgers again, rather than taking approaches:
a) So far ahead, even a turd like Lennon can't fail
b) Worth a punt on a promising unknown from Norway

What’s the deal with Sima was he fit ?

If he wasn’t fit why is the fit ?

This is on the back of Heart and Hand car pod suggesting he’s not fit and that’s what Souttar came on ?

It is games like this that you expect our senior players to take the game by the scruff of the neck, but they don't have the winning mentality.

Thank phuk I wasn’t fit enough to get to the game.
Jack Butland must be wondering what he’s got in front of him absolute waster’s.

He didn't come in with a big reputation. How could he?

That baloney came from here.

What were his stats as a manager at Loftus Rd before coming to us?

And still we brought him in.

Because Wilson hoodwinked the support.

AGAIN.

We've still got a mentality in this club with these players who prefer Europe nights to our bread-and-butter domestic games and until that changes the local football club will mop up the league, grim days.

And with each passing game and each injury picked up the more it puts Beale up against it.

Can't punt him until we have a successor lined up and I'd hope we get someone with experience and actually pay money to get a proper manager in. no more experiments!

We are hobbling along to the next disaster here god forbid that it hits us on Wednesday.

Beale and these players better go on and lift the league cup minimum to the end of the first half of the season.

There’s a lot of re-writing history on here. The appointments of GvB and MB were both welcomed and supported by the majority of FF posters. On top of that we’ve had 3 different Board Chairmen since 2020 - that’s one for each manager - each with a different vision.

GvB and MB haven’t cut the mustard but our main problem as a club, from top to bottom, is that we’ve had no permanence since 2012 and before. Change the manager! Change the Board! Change the players. That’s all we’ve heard/done for the last 10 years. Partly enforced by circumstances. And a lot of bl**dy firefighting.

I’m afraid things will continue as they are until we have some long term planning, permanence and the re-building of strong foundations.

If this board goes just who do you think is coming in. We would again be bled dry of cash with those coming in to line their pockets.
On here we wanted Beale as a manager and every time we heard of a new player coming we wanted them signed.
With my past dealings with the club and in hospitality every home game I know this board provided the cash for what the vast majority on here wanted.
Beale was given the option to choose his team and took it.
At present we are poor. We do have many excellent players in our squad many of whom are injured. The problem is with the Manager not the board or players.
Getting a new manager will not be easy and will not happen now.
If we can win our games up to the international break our position would not be bad but even then I would suggest we need a new manager who can organise a team playing them in the correct postions and with intensity.
We have the players we just need a manager to get them playing the way I believe they can and win this league.
The last thing we need is new owners who you can be sure will not invest but use the club for their own purpose. It is most unlikely we could attract a new board with millions to invest and it is also unlikely they will be Rangers men who have always been supporters.
On the park we are not good but keep the faith and either we will improve or a new manager will come in.

I’ll take the win and move swiftly on from Michael Beale’s bizarre selections and tactics.

He can do what he likes midweek vs Livi but he’s not on anything other than borrowed time so would do well to sharpen his ideas before the next meaningful game.

He didn't come in with a big reputation. How could he?

That baloney came from here.

What were his stats as a manager at Loftus Rd before coming to us?

And still we brought him in.

Because Wilson hoodwinked the support.

AGAIN.
Bang on.

By fixating on Beale, a symptom rather than the disease itself, we're reacting like mugs.

Mugs, taken for mugs, by mugs, spanning decades.

"Anger at board is timmy behaviour". Aye, and so is success and books balanced. I cannot accept our off-the-chart levels of boardroom acceptance, and I've been of this mindset since your FF article in the early-90s, laying out Murray's asset-stripping regards Club Deck, car park and Edmiston House.

Even with the spivs, when @mdingwall succeeded in setting off an anti-board approach that he couldn't with Murray, we still had bampots claiming we shouldn't protest due to Ashley's millions and his access to loans from Tyneside. Even that rare blip required all of us pushing flat-out to have most opposing a group you'd fairly call "a shower of bastards".

Our board-tolerance, in my lifetime, dates right back to no Alex Ferguson & Jim McLean. We're as guilty as the board is. It should shame us.

Team coach has final say, but you're not factoring in the amount of support he needs for that full & final say to be done with competence. Doing so without a recruitment team is a bloody guessing game, and we are being treated to the inevitable results of a Grade A Mental-Asylum pot-luck approach to worldwide recruitment. How anyone expected anything other than this is beyond me.
Of course he should have a supporting infrastructure. But he absolutely must have final say in recruitment. And if recruitment is poor the buck stops with him. Recruitment over the past 2 windows has not been all bad. Lammers, Sima, Dowell and Raskin are decent players. Cantwell and Butland excellent. (Dressers and Cfuentes I'm unsure about but I think once the latter adapts he will prove decent). The players are simply not playing well as a team. Coaching, planning and motivation must be the problems. Would you be motivated be Beale or his team?

We need to break the chain of continuity from the past. It’s time for Borna, Tav, Goldson, all of them to go. We need to start with an entire new frame. These guys have failed as a project, they were brought in to dominate this league & they haven’t. Time to move on, we are Rangers.

Back