MOTM Poll Rangers v St Johnstone - 19:45 Wednesday - RangersTV

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The result we needed but not the entertaining game of football we wanted - in large part due to the packed defence we faced (maybe shouldn’t criticise this as they were a man down).
McCausland and Dessers were probably the pick of the bunch and Dowell did pretty well despite lack of game time.
As I watched our strained efforts to get a second goal it became clear that if this had been a game of rugby we would have achieved a massive score! Why can’t our players keep at least some of their shots from outside the box from sailing over the bar? Anyway, the three points are what really count.

I can't get to games

I use the match thread solely for my dopamine hit of YAAASSSS because I can't wait 5 seconds for live score to update

But the things 'Fans' post, honestly, I have no idea how they live their lives with that level of pessimism and lack of understanding of football
I'm exactly the same. For a multitude of personal reasons, I can't go to games. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, but I cannot fathom claiming to love Rangers and spending my entire time online slating everyone and everything associated with the club.

No Levein and his 15 players behind the ball would get football stopped.

Was always going to be a slog, even against 10 men. Good win, clean sheet, job done.

We seldom get easy games against St Johnstone and as @Bknowe has indicated, the presence of Craig Levein as their manager and his 'style of play' does not lend itself to entertaining football - especially on a cold late December evening in Glasgow? The important thing tonight was the win.

There is residual fear from previous performances and at 1-0 anything can happen even against a team that sits in with 10 men.
However, I think big Phil has addressed that.
3 points. Onwards and upwards
Hopefully Lundstram was precautionary
We've all had to live with one goal leads and there will be plenty more to come.

Gaps being closed, that's all that mattered tonight. Fireworks going off outside, local bears must be ratcheting it up for our t@rrier neighbours.

We made that a struggle
Personally I think we wouldn't have struggled, and that goes for a few other games as well, if we practised shooting from outside the box more.

Remember Celtc came from behind to beat them recently with 2 goals from outside the box. Tonight our supporters in the stands were more likely to be in danger.

Just on way home from game. Pretty tough watch a lot of that. We should be doing better against a team like that especially down to 10 men. But a win is a win. Gave Dessers mom for his goal and the penalty but McCausland ran him close. Thought Dowell was poor first half but much better second. Sterling added a lot when he came on. Yilmaz better second half but just isn’t good enough. How many chances are we giving Lammers? It’s getting ridiculous now. Tav deserved his big round of applause. Feeling pretty confident for the next few games including the OF.

There is residual fear from previous performances and at 1-0 anything can happen even against a team that sits in with 10 men.
However, I think big Phil has addressed that.
3 points. Onwards and upwards
Hopefully Lundstram was precautionary
I get what you're saying, but in the last few minutes a simple hoof down the middle, over the top, from their goalie, split our CBs. Butland sorted it, but caught out again with that.

We've all had to live with one goal leads and there will be plenty more to come.

Gaps being closed, that's all that mattered tonight. Fireworks going off outside, local bears must be ratcheting it up for our t@rrier neighbours.
Agree 100% with 1st sentence but we've seen it too often in past few seasons so I can understand why some get edgy. However as I say gaffer is instilling fight and desire into the team.
If we win every game 1-0 til end of season I'll take it right now. I can't speak for my heart though

The red card actually made it harder. They went from very defensive to all out siege mode. Their keeper had a great game as well.

Delighted with that. 3rd win in a week, including a tough away European tie and a cup final. Able to rotate the squad. Controlled the match throughout and a massive 3 points in horrible, blustery conditions. Anyone moaning about entertainment value needs to get a grip. We won countless games like that with guys like Laudrup and Gazza in the team. These are the games that win you leagues.

Happy with the win after the week we’ve had, could have been 4 or 5 if we had our shooting boots on.
On we march

Goldson's 5th SPFL booking tonight. One more in the next two games (you're 'allowed' 6 in the first 19 League games) and he faces a suspension (which wouldn't kick in until after the Winter break).
He didn’t need to pull him back as well. Was in their half and no one up with him to pass to. Kane ? was going nowhere.

Great to get the win which was most important. Another totally dominant performance as well, although it would have been nice to get the second goal a bit earlier.

Lundstram's injury is a real blow though. Hopefully it's not as bad as feared once it's properly looked at.

Will take the win, especially after an emotional day on Sunday, thank goodness for that 2nd goal.

Not every performance will be good to watch, and that one wasn't - the touch, control and shooting around their box was mostly really poor, and that's why we didn't kill them off - it was also utterly ridiculous that we were defending a couple of corners & free kicks in the last 5 minutes.

Unconvincing 3 points, so improvement required & a squad refresh in January is necessary.

Job done tonight. Walking out the ground after the Aris Limassol game and someone said we would win the group, have a cup in the trophy room and be 2 points behind the dirty dogs with a game in hand by the third week in December I would have thought 'I wish'.
So well done done to the players and management team. Get through these next few games and recharge during the break and you never know what we can achieve.

Agreed and a huge test because it is ne thing to raise our game against Betis and for a final, it’s other to do it midweek in Perth. I would not be surprised if huff and puff a bit here though I hope for something far better.
Luckily we are not in Perth

Great to get the win which was most important. Another totally dominant performance as well, although it would have been nice to get the second goal a bit earlier.

Lundstram's injury is a real blow though. Hopefully it's not as bad as feared once it's properly looked at.
How bad is it feared?
What's been said?

I get what you're saying, but in the last few minutes a simple hoof down the middle, over the top, from their goalie, split our CBs. Butland sorted it, but caught out again with that.
The two centre backs absolutely switched off and we were lucky. Very lucky. We still have that game changing mistake in us despite the fact that we should know better after the first few weeks of the season!

Back