Our national stadium

Yes it's an absolute dump.

Was in Row J of the West Stand right behind the goals today, spent a lot of the game looking back at the screen to see what the hell was happening up the other end.

A very, very small percentage of the seats have a decent enough view but the vast majority are dross.

Reactions: WBD
I wasn’t at the game but I won’t step foot in it again, the seats are too far away from the pitch for my liking.

Stadium is brutal and location is horrific. Not fit for 50k fans passing through the area, parking cars and buses etc.

SFA and SRU should just come together, sell off their stadiums and build one single multi-use stadium that is capable of not only hosting Rugby and Football but other events like Boxing, WWE, NFL etc.

Obviously the big issue is where to put it but still Scotland needs an up to date stadium with all the facilities that can attract major industries to come here instead of London or Cardiff.
It absoloutly does its why the boats are insane to sell off part of the car park

SFA and SRU should just come together, sell off their stadiums and build one single multi-use stadium that is capable of not only hosting Rugby and Football but other events like Boxing, WWE, NFL etc.

Obviously the big issue is where to put it but still Scotland needs an up to date stadium with all the facilities that can attract major industries to come here instead of London or Cardiff.
Agreed. Murrayfield is much better than Hampden on the inside but it’s still a bit of a concrete wonder and showing its age.

Need to cut the sentimentality with Hampden - it’s in a rubbish location with insufficient transport links. Also with Queens moving how is it going to justified with such little football being played on it?

I’d argue a new stadium would simply have to be built in Glasgow but in a new area with a regeneration plan. Could be something positive for the city for once. The egg chasers from Edinburgh would need to lump it or they can continue to use Murrayfield.

They had an opportunity to totally revamp the stadium in the late nineties but chose to “Upgrade” instead.

The excuse was lack of finance.

It should be knocked down and all stands brought in closer pitch side. 60,000 capacity would be enough for it as well.
Should be 80k, a decent Scotland team would get good crowds, and most cup finals either involve us, them or both, so cup finals would have a capacity crowd.

There'll be famine-ravaged, poverty-stricken, war-torn third world countries that have better national stadiums than Scotland.

Most high schools in the US have better stadiums.

It's a national disgrace, as is the SFA, run by charlatans, installed by the fat Japanese.

They had an opportunity to totally revamp the stadium in the late nineties but chose to “Upgrade” instead.

The excuse was lack of finance.

Been a lack of leadership and vision, which could sum up Scotland in the 21st century tbh.

Pretty depressing every time I go back, how the country has stagnated or regressed.

Hampden should have been torn down, with a new stadium built decades ago.

Absolutely embarrassing in this day and age
Especially with similar sized countries with much better stadiums and infrastructure
The national stadium in Skopje North Macedonia has a bit of a running track around the pitch too but it’s still a better looking stadium than Hampden. For our national sport and given the rich history of 100,000 + crowds in the past you’d think we would have a stadium for football that’s bigger than the Rugby stadium. If they could increase the capacity by 15 to 20k and bring both ends in closer to the pitch it would be great but I doubt it’ll ever happen.

The Welsh play at Cardiffs ground. They didn't build the millennium stadium.
The Welsh play at Cardiffs ground. They didn't build the millennium stadium.
The dick that called the Retarded Welsh needs pulled up , at least they don’t continually vote for a separatist country like the retarded Jocks do at every turn , the prick.

They used to. Regardless, the Welsh still built that stadium at the same time the SFA "upgraded" Hampden from 19th century shithole to 20th century shithole.
Not sure if the details re funding, but the stadium in Cardiff is on the site of Welsh Rugby’s Cardiff Arm Park,

I get that the seats lower down behind the goals are rubbish but in general I don't see the problem with the place. Its spacious, well laid out for food concessions etc.

Not sure if the details re funding, but the stadium in Cardiff is on the site of Welsh Rugby’s Cardiff Arm Park,

One of the stands of the Principality (Millennium Stadium) backs onto the original Cardiff Arms Park. Cardiff Blues rugby team still play at Cardiff Arms Park, which is now an artificial turf pitch. The Principality is a fabulous stadium for watching sport, right in the city centre so brilliant for a day out. It’s is many levels above Hampden as a matchday experience.

Cardiff City Stadium - where Cardiff City and the Wales national football team play - is a bit further out of the city centre but is also a better stadium than Hampden. The simple fact of being to see the game from decent seats makes it better.

Hampden is an awful embarrassment of a national stadium. I can’t stand the place so never even bother applying for semi / final tickets. I don’t sign up for CCCS on my season ticket as I’m not bothered about going to Hampden and as a long distance fan I can’t travel up for away games anyway. I bet I’m not the only one who actively avoids going to Hampden because it’s awful.

Demolish Murrayfield and rebuild the National stadium in Glasgow. Combining national Rugby and football events. Edinburgh shouldn’t have sporting events due to total apathy from their citizens to attend them. The trains are absolutely packed coming from Glasgow heading to the Rugby during the 6 nations but yet they are supposedly the rugby city. Glasgow is a far superior city , has traditionally been our national football city and should continue to be so. Also this idea will wind up the Edinburgh lovers on this thread which is a bonus.

The West is brutal.

North and South are passable at points.

Poorly serviced by the train and leaving by bus means you’re as well staying until the final, usually.
Sunday service on the train yesterday.

About quarter past 6 before I got on a train

Stuttgart's stadium was almost identical to how Hampden is now. The upgrade they did looks amazing.

The SFA won't be doing anything like that anytime soon.

The SRU is as badly run, if not worse, than the SFA.

Murrayfield is in a much better location but the land is worth an absolute fortune which could go a long way to funding a joint stadium.

If a joint stadium at Murrayfield was considered, if permission was given to develop some of the ancillary land around murrayfield stadium, you could build something spectacular.

I prefer having both Murrayfield and Hampden for sentimental reasons. I've also got zero confidence in the SRU and SFA working together for the good of Scottish sport.

I remember it was the Scotsport viewers that decided to renovate Hampden. They ran a poll in the late 80s/early 90s and the options were to renovate Hampden, build a new stadium at Strathclyde Park or take Scotland games round the country, I can’t really remember what they were planning for cup semis and finals. Renovations Hampden won by a landslide.

Let’s be honest Hampdens “renovation” was one new stand and seats put on the old terracing on the west, north and east stands along with a new roof.

With a decent level of foresight and collaboration, Scotland should have come together with the RFU and headed to Murrayfield.

With some adaptation, it would be have been excellent.

Scotland certainly doesn’t need 4x 50k+ stadiums inside 40 miles of each other.
This
The transport infrastructure is there also.
Murrayfield could be a 100k

Been in the main stand a few times and found it passable,The rest is very poor.
Been lucky enough to enjoy the hospitality suites a couple of times but even their the price has gone through the roof while the value for money IMO has gone down.

It's a dump ..... just how it keeps on getting large events without any sort of stadium reconstruction or upgrades is staggering, it's one of the worst national stadium in Europe...look at similar sized countries in Europe with even weaker national Leagues that have top class national stadiums...ie Romania, Sweden, Hungary etc..
Conversely Italy, Germany, Spain and a host of other countries don't bother with one
Sell the land and invest it in grass root infrastructure
It's an exorbitant white elephant and in no way necessary

I remember it was the Scotsport viewers that decided to renovate Hampden. They ran a poll in the late 80s/early 90s and the options were to renovate Hampden, build a new stadium at Strathclyde Park or take Scotland games round the country, I can’t really remember what they were planning for cup semis and finals. Renovations Hampden won by a landslide.

Let’s be honest Hampdens “renovation” was one new stand and seats put on the old terracing on the west, north and east stands along with a new roof.
Back then there was a lot of sentimental attachment to Hampden and the ‘Hampden Roar’. People couldn’t imagine not having Hampden. Now, with generations having passed on and modern day fans experiencing better facilities elsewhere, if the same question were asked now I believe the answer would be very different.

I’ve been to Hampden for countless games. I’ve never seen Rangers lose there. I’ve been to several concerts over the years too. I have so many happy memories from there. However, due to poor public transport links, lack of parking, poor infrastructure and in most parts of it, a poor view of the pitch, I’ve vowed never to go back.

There is nothing exciting about going there. A trip to a national stadium should be a welcome change from most other stadiums. A trip to Hampden is anything but.

We’ve been absolutely left behind by poorer countries. When you see Romania and Albania with significantly better stadiums to Scotland it hits home how mis-managed we have been by the frauds in charge of our game.

It’s all just a bit sad. We’re stuck with it now for our lifetime.

Sadly, I’ll peg it before the arsewipes at Hampdump get their collectives fingers out of slitty eye Pete’s arse.

The place is a dump and should be bulldozed along with the piggery, admittedly for very different reasons.

Spot on, the renovation is a joke. They should have flattened the place and rebuilt it, there is plenty of space in that footprint for something more compact but with a higher capacity.

I find it incredible that they simply put seats on what was the terracing! South stand only good thing about it. A National embarrassment

It's a running track with a pitch stuck in the middle of it.
Not fit for purpose and must be one of the worst National stadiums around.

We'd be better off moving high profile games to Murrayfield - a far better stadium for football matches.

What about the rest?
The blazers don’t care about the plebs elsewhere!

The south stand ‘posh’ seats are great and escalators up the stand. No stairs for the blazers! This what they care about!

It’s up to the fans of all clubs to unite (they won’t) and put pressure on the SFA to get rid of that dump!!

A benefit of no national stadium is European Finals would have to go to Ibrox or their dump

Problem is, Murrayfield can do all of that, and is already big enough. Why would the SRU entertain your idea?
hampden is the problem of the SFA, them alone.

Conversely Italy, Germany, Spain and a host of other countries don't bother with one
Sell the land and invest it in grass root infrastructure
It's an exorbitant white elephant and in no way necessary
I might be wrong in this but seem to recall it has already been sold by QP and is in private hands?

I sit in the Noth Stand at the halfway line for Scotland games and its pretty decent. Was in the South Upper yesterday and it was actually pretty good. The view and the facilities/cleanliness etc was great.

However, I am normally in the west stand for our games and its borderline unwatchable. Why we need 3 square kilometres of running track behind the goals is beyond me.

Back