Sports direct not going away!

Actually, to make it easier, here’s a copy and paste of @BrownBrogues informative post #425 for those trying to ‘catch up’.

I was hoping you would’nt ask me, cause of the work involved to put it together, I couldn’t be bothered LOL

But here you go. Worst case, Judge Sides with SD, agrees their position to consider matching offers under the 3 aspects has been prejudiced. He gives Rangers a timescale to provide the breakdown, and Ashley the time lost to consider thus delaying release of kit further.

3 Aspects

(i) the right to operate and manage the Retail Operations;

(ii) the right to perform the Permitted Activities in relation to the Branded Products and/or the Additional Products; and/or

(iii) the right to perform the Permitted Activities in relation to the Official Kit and/or the Replica Kit."

He takes 1, then he has nothing to sell, but new provider can’t operate Megastore or the Website.

He takes 2, but not 1 and 3, he gets to sell non Hummel Merchandise but no control over Store or Website. So another provider could sell Hummel Kit by operating the Store and Website, but they could not sell Non Hummel Merchandise only kit.

He Takes 3 and leaves 1 and 2, he can sell official Hummel kit via Sports Direct, the Megastore and Website can be operated by another part but only for non-Hummel kit merchandise.

But this is in terms of what SD argues the rights are under Schedule 3 1.1.4 but why McCormick QC for Rangers argues Schedule 3 “is not a commercial construction and makes no sense in the context of the definition of "Offered Rights" in paragraph 1.1.4, beginning, "each of the following rights in whole or in part", which he emphasises. He says that SDIR's stance is predicated on the basis that there are only three rights, and it is submitted that that is not correct when one looks at the composition of paragraph 1.1.4 and, indeed, the definitions within such paragraph. It is said that SDIR's construction would give rise to what Mr McCormick described as "a commercial and practical absurdity".

So you can draw up your own worst case, if SD successfully argue that their interpretation of 1.1.4 is agreed by the Judge by looking at the implication of each of the 3 rights or a combination. I need to lie down now

Last edited:
Correct, sadly.

If SD exactly match the terms of another deal, it will be beneficial for Rangers either way.

Which is a dilemma but what you’ve posted is right.

That isn't true. Read post 425. He can cherry pick what he wants and doesn't want. So can easily shaft us if he takes 1 of the 3. Reason being any new retail partner will want all 3 elements.

I am not optimistic going from what I have read but obviously hoping (dreaming) for the best.

If we are stuck with them for any part of the deal, will they be time limited i.e. they can’t have first refusal at the point of the next negotiation?

You have to hope they deal they have to match is not tempting but then you realise for this prick its not about that....

Correct, sadly.

If SD exactly match the terms of another deal, it will be beneficial for Rangers either way.

Which is a dilemma but what you’ve posted is right.

It's no dilemma at all, we do what's best for the club even if it's a hard pill to swallow. Take the name away and it's a good deal for us regardless of who we partner with.

EDIT: Aye, it's looking like I don't have a full understanding of the implications :)

Amateur hour from the board.

This should have been done months ago, before JD was announced. The new deal may be worth too much for SD or they may have matched it which would be good for us even though we want away from them.

How long will this drag on for? Its damaging to us not only reputation wise but more importantly sales of merchandise at an important time.

Very disappointed in the board They may want away from SD but we need to do things by the book here as they have a grudge after everything that has happened.

Why did the board even allow a ROFR clause??? The money we paid this fat tart should have been clean break money, even just for spite we should have assumed he would exercise it.

Then our lawyers, AS, they also should have assumed that MA will pour over the notice and be as big a bawbag as possible, therefore, make the notice perfect, have it checked by 2 or 3 senior people before sending.

F.uck, we know our enemies (that's the only good thing about them), we know how they will be behave, we therefore need to anticipate and act accordingly - and as I said, it should be easy to anticipate as we know they'll do all that they can to cause us as much damage as possible.

This is what I don't get. I thought we settled early whilst going through the seven year notice period. How the hell can there be first refusal on a contract that we'd settled out of?

SD had to agree to ending the initial contract, this clause was probably a deal maker along with the compensation. I am sure the club will have contingency plans for whatever outcome transpires.

Why did the board even allow a ROFR clause??? The money we paid this fat tart should have been clean break money, even just for spite we should have assumed he would exercise it.

Then our lawyers, AS, they also should have assumed that MA will pour over the notice and be as big a bawbag as possible, therefore, make the notice perfect, have it checked by 2 or 3 senior people before sending.

F.uck, we know our enemies (that's the only good thing about them), we know how they will be behave, we therefore need to anticipate and act accordingly - and as I said, it should be easy to anticipate as we know they'll do all that they can to cause us as much damage as possible.

Aye it was all so easy, we should have sent you in to sort it. Have some respect for DK and where he's got us.

Paul Murray is a weasel, completely made a right mess of this! No wonder he was dragged off the premises.

He had 1 job and he £π¢[{€d it up

More than a few in here need to chill out. Let the courts decide and we can work it out from there. Really no point debating it until we know that outcome.

Paul Murray is a weasel, completely made a right mess of this! No wonder he was dragged off the premises.

He had 1 job and he £π¢[{€d it up

You have no idea what Paul Murray's involvement in this deal was, you have no idea why Paul Murray left the club. In fact, you probably have no idea what Paul Murray's role entailed at all.

As @High Society suggests above, show some respect for a man who helped save our club.

Thats all it ever is with these people. It's not about the money as such, it's about ego and winning at any cost.

Yeah, that's it. The very same qualities/attributes that allow success include those which are ego driven; at best Machiavellian and at worst, sociopathic. It's perfectly natural, the free market is the way of the world. Having said that, I hope MA soon meets his end, hopefully in a manner befitting his callous and despicable greed.

You have no idea what Paul Murray's involvement in this deal was, you have no idea why Paul Murray left the club. In fact, you probably have no idea what Paul Murray's role entailed at all.

As @High Society suggests above, show some respect for a man who helped save our club.

This one is probably my fault mate.

I asked a question earlier in the thread about the possibility of Murray's involvement.

It hopefully won't lead to a witch hunt.

Possibly a stupid question, and I apologise if so, but what if were to take this retail back into our own hands only and don't offer the bid out?

We manage the megastore, we manage the website and we slowly open up several retail stores around the country as we done previously. I appreciate that this would be slow and would/could reduce possible sales opportunities for those people who would still visit SD stores, but would that be a pill worth swallowing?

Or are we obliged to offer it out regardless?

Hooked a few there MeOhMeOhMy

Some folk are so desperate to jump on anything on here they can't see when someone is taking the piss.....

Are people really that stupid, this was the only way to get out the 5p in the £1 deal.

Ffs.
The worrying thing is we may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire if the clause about first refusal rolls onto every contract going forward. Time will tell.

Possibly a stupid question, and I apologise if so, but what if were to take this retail back into our own hands only and don't offer the bid out?

We manage the megastore, we manage the website and we slowly open up several retail stores around the country as we done previously. I appreciate that this would be slow and would/could reduce possible sales opportunities for those people who would still visit SD stores, but would that be a pill worth swallowing?

Or are we obliged to offer it out regardless?

The contract had a clause that if we received no offer it would go to a two year rolling contract with SD

Are people really that stupid, this was the only way to get out the 5p in the £1 deal.

Ffs.

Some of them, yes. But only when they choose not to think.

We're a society that views choices and stuff as being binary, as either/or, as good guy/bad guy. It's soap opera level thinking with the irony being that it doesn't actually involve thinking. But life isn't like that and sometimes you need to compromise in order to make the best of a bad situation - such as we did a get out that pathetic deal. Try explaining that to someone who begins every second sentence with "But I just don't see how..." - they can't and won't see, because that would involve thinking critically.

Pish-poor attempts at taking the piss don't excuse what was posted. Neither does backing him up.

He was clearly taking the piss out of whoever it was that posted earlier "could this be the reason Paul Murray left, as he made a cūnt of this contract" (I'm paraphrasing).

And I'm not 'backing him up', I'm just amazed at how many people (including you) fell for it....

Too many people getting their knickers in a twist,and throwing comments at people not deserving them,let's wait and see the judgement,and please don't slag off the people who helped save the club.

What third party, in the future, would even bother constructing and submitting a tender if Ashley only has to say he would match it?
Thousands spent in tendering would really be a waste of cash.
I assume that if SD don't apply to match all sections then those sections would no longer be available to him to match again?

Given no apparent news on a judgement due to sit at 1030, I wonder if the judge is offering the parties an option to resolve.
Am no legal person but understand these matching clauses are commonplace so there must be precedent where one party attempts to match an entity primarily to injure the other party.
Surely there must be some restraint of trade issues which come into play if one party has motives other than wholly commercial which could be clearly seen here.

Whats the point in tendering if he allowed to match it, thats surely manipulation of sorts.

Given no apparent news on a judgement due to sit at 1030, I wonder if the judge is offering the parties an option to resolve.
Am no legal person but understand these matching clauses are commonplace so there must be precedent where one party attempts to match an entity primarily to injure the other party.
Surely there must be some restraint of trade issues which come into play if one party has motives other than wholly commercial which could be clearly seen here.

More likely the judge is waffling on and on until it's time to adjourn for his lunch.

What third party, in the future, would even bother constructing and submitting a tender if Ashley only has to say he would match it?
Thousands spent in tendering would really be a waste of cash.
I assume that if SD don't apply to match all sections then those sections would no longer be available to him to match again?

That's what is unclear and why our QC argues SD's argument of interpretation would make no sense. A lot of potential outcomes today in that a judge may award one but dismiss certain conditions as they are not compliant. We are going to have to hope for the best and that if it goes against Us, SD are told what they are and are not entitled to do under the terms.

This is about Rangers not about hatred of SD. I won’t buy another item from their stores again (outwith any potential tie in with Rangers) but if the ruling is that our merchandise is sold to them with a vast majority of the money coming to us then I’d suck it up and get on with it. The club is more important than any stance against a horrible organisation. Yes I hate him and his company but every fan should have the club’s best interests above all else.

Unfortunately, I am inclined to agree.

I utterly despise fatso. Hate him with a real passion reserved for very few others. Haven't set foot in a SD shop since he started shafting us and was resolved never to do so again as long as the fat cant had anything to do with them.

However, if I have to go in there to buy my Rangers top I will, as long as we get the lions share. I'll boak doing it, but the club must get the money.

Apologies as I’m sure this has been asked multiple times already but does anyone know when we can expect the verdict? Is it definitely today?

Whats the point in tendering if he allowed to match it, thats surely manipulation of sorts.

Everyone who submits a tender, no matter the industry, realises it is open to manipulation. If you have your own house in order and price well you will still win more than you lose.

Apologies as I’m sure this has been asked multiple times already but does anyone know when we can expect the verdict? Is it definitely today?

Judgement today. The listing was for Judgement. STV commented on what was said in court yesterday as well so there must be a public gallery to observe so result should be known. The Judge could reserve right to written Judgement, however unlikely due to implications with Rangers having a live tender and retail a significant income stream.

Back