Match Thread RTV - Rangers vs Wigan - Match thread

Impressive second half. Very professional job from everyone today. McCrorie and Docherty stepped it up after half time. Not doubt getting a bollocking from SG. Middleton definitely has something about him, some great deliveries and pace on that side - looks like he is our youth player to make the first team step up this season. Goldson and Katic faultless at the back. Morelos and Candeias dangerous all game. Big Sadiq looks a right handful - ungainly at times but showed he can battle and link up well. Once he gets those legs going he covers ground very quickly.

You think you are fighting the good fight against lies on here. What you actually look like you are doing is getting upset over people praising Candeias. As I said, that is what it looks like, not necessarily what it is.

I've backed DC almost perpetually, I stated earlier that his crossing needs to improve, as often he hits low crosses that don't get past the first defender.

Suddenly his crossing needing to improve grew legs to "He can't cross". Two quite different accusations.

But you know folk are welcome to read it however they need too. I'm not going to waste more energy on trying to point the difference out.

A lot of positive stuff to take from that. Coulibaly and Sadiq are going to be class when fully match fit. Arfield coming and right away giving something different in AMF. Ejaria with some good stuff 1st half. Middleton brilliant. Wes looked off pace but great stop from the penalty. Another clean sheet and 3 good goals. Minor knock for Morelos but other than that no injury worries. Passing pace was higher today and more accurate, we are starting to look a very good side in the making.

A really pleasing day for us, lots of positives to take from that game.

In regard to the comments about who signed Middleton...despite not being a proper manager, it is possible that Murty did something right! :)

Good result. Performance in 2nd half was spot on.

+'s
  • Players hyped up and gave everything despite it being a friendly.
  • There's a togetherness about the squad already
  • Team are looking exceedingly fit. We're going to score a lot of cools in the 60 minute + period.
  • Middleton's looking real special.
  • Lots of competition for places.
  • It's still early early days and the team will only get better the more games are played
  • Gerrard saw what needed to be changed and did it perfectly. He's absolutely intense.
  • Our attack is going to terrorize many teams this year.
  • Ejaria looking solid.
  • Defense is pretty solid

-'s
  • Docherty is looking like he'll need quite a bit of coaching or loaned out for him to develop into a regular ninety minuter. Possibly McCrorie also.
  • Scottsih refs
  • Still need a bit of finesse in the midfield IMO. Arfield and CoolBilly are solid players, but think we're still missing a mature playermaker/someone to spray the balls about.

Still very early days, but we are improving all the time.

We are now more dangerous at set pieces, less vulnerable at set pieces, have a far greater work ethic and are showin some encouraging signs in all areas really. Still plenty of hard work ahead, but things look to be nicely on track and if we do add another couple of faces, we could be in for a decent season!
whisper it we are back to being Rangers

Let's see then. Since Gerrard took over, we've had 3 competitive matches and 3 friendlies (including TNS). From that;
  • Five wins and a draw.
  • Five clean sheets out of six.
  • 15 goals scored and 1 conceded.
It's still too soon to get carried away, but...
The goal conceded came in the first minute of the first game. Is fair to say the defence has gelled quickly.

To think back three months when we had the worst defence (possibly) ever.

I've backed DC almost perpetually, I stated earlier that his crossing needs to improve, as often he hits low crosses that don't get past the first defender.

Suddenly his crossing needing to improve grew legs to "He can't cross". Two quite different accusations.

But you know folk are welcome to read it however they need too. I'm not going to waste more energy on trying to point the difference out.

You really shouldn't. I understand you feel a bit silly after saying that and then him getting two assists but try not to take it so personally. You know as well as me some others posters criticisms of DC have been far less reserved than yours.

Strolled it with a good 2nd half performance.The real test starts next weekend against against these dirty f ucking sheep shagging bastards.

Good result. Performance in 2nd half was spot on.

+'s
  • Players hyped up and gave everything despite it being a friendly.
  • There's a togetherness about the squad already
  • Team are looking exceedingly fit. We're going to score a lot of cools in the 60 minute + period.
  • Middleton's looking real special.
  • Lots of competition for places.
  • It's still early early days and the team will only get better the more games are played
  • Gerrard saw what needed to be changed and did it perfectly. He's absolutely intense.
  • Our attack is going to terrorize many teams this year.
  • Ejaria looking solid.
  • Defense is pretty solid

-'s
  • Docherty is looking like he'll need quite a bit of coaching or loaned out for him to develop into a regular ninety minuter. Possibly McCrorie also.
  • Scottsih refs
  • Still need a bit of finesse in the midfield IMO. Arfield and CoolBilly are solid players, but think we're still missing a mature playermaker/someone to spray the balls about.
Could I suggest a Gary McAllister type?

Good solid result against a decent side , all the signs are looking good

Hopefully more signings will only strengthen us , now if we get Thursday done and dusted , really looking forward to Sunday

Come on the Gers !

I know it was just a friendly and f*** knows how many players featured but they all seemed to me to know what they were doing.
For me to see all of them giving 100%, closing down, tackling like there was no tomorrow, great movement going forward, I think that was way more than encouraging.
When certain players are up to speed fitness wise I think we are looking good !

certainly heading in the right direction, and a helluva more positives to take than negatives,, I'm sure our manager will bring in more new faces and so we will be a far more compact and industrious team than previous seasons,, no doubt we will have a few setbacks over te next couple of months ,but I think around the end of September, or start of October our team will really come on strong, can we win the title? ,who knows but we will give a far better account of ourselves

Strolled it with a good 2nd half performance.The real test starts next weekend against against these dirty f ucking sheep shagging bastards.

Agree and Stevie G will have to use his best game management skills on Thursday so we are OK on Sunday !

Having had the pleasure to watch all 90 mins that have been on a screen so far this pre-season it's becoming clear (to me anyway) that this is the team that should have the starting 11 jersey's. Everyone else can fight to dislodge those guys.

Middleton--Morelos--Candeias
----Arfield----Jack--Coulibaly
Flanagan--Katic--Goldson--Tav
--------------McGregor
You are spot on. If SG can make that team gel (and we've seen in parts that he can) and play consistently (no evidence yet) then not only will we be hard to beat but we will hand out some monumental doings.

I can't wait to see us against Dolly a week today.

Can we have some more fire when players take liberties with one of ours like Freddie for Candeias. We were too nice at times and we need to learn to dish it out. Couple of late ones and they'll soon get the message especially in the league fixtures.

Watching us at Ibrox is fun again. More importantly, this squad looks like it wants to win & will find a way - any way - to do so.

Pretty uneventful game , some more game time / trying out a few different combinations

Pleased for Wes saving the penalty

Small point but poor not announcing the Wigan subs or thanking the Wigan fans for attending / wishing them safe trip home / all the best for season ahead , 1800 of them was very good amount given their support , we couldve put that wee bit of effort into welcoming them.

Wasn't there today but love the positivity from those who attended.

Fair to say the biggest concern is still we only have 2 centre backs of good enough standard?

Back