Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-0 Bayern Munich, Cup-Winners Cup SF, 19th April 1972. Derek Parlane is hidden in this photo but his shot is headed for the net and Rangers are just about in the final:

wk3950.jpg

Fantastic thread, thank you to everyone who has posted photos.

We really do need a museum worthy of our history. Obviously we've a lot on our plate just now, but it would be nice to think that if we have say a 5 year plan for the business side of things that steps towards a museum are on there somewhere. Our predecessors deserve it and our children need it.

Rangers 0-0 Hibernian, Scottish Cup Final, 12th May 1979. Colin Jackson and Gordon Smith in action in a game the likes of which would get football stopped if it were repeated too often. After another dire 0-0 draw Rangers eventually won the second replay 3-2, but the two drawn matches would play their part in costing us the league that season as the fixtures piled up:
I had the misfortune to be at all 3 games
The first 2 were awful and the last one marginally better only because we won

21dpqg0.jpg
Rangers 0-0 Hibernian, Scottish Cup Final, 12th May 1979. Colin Jackson and Gordon Smith in action in a game the likes of which would get football stopped if it were repeated too often. After another dire 0-0 draw Rangers eventually won the second replay 3-2, but the two drawn matches would play their part in costing us the league that season as the fixtures piled up:

21dpqg0.jpg

Reactions: ao2

Was the 2nd replay not played after the capitulation at the piggery that cost us the league?

My old man is still going regularly and was at all of last season's games against them, but he still mantains that the 4-2 defeat at the piggery against 10 men in 79 is his worst ever experience against them.

Was the 2nd replay not played after the capitulation at the piggery that cost us the league?

My old man is still going regularly and was at all of last season's games against them, but he still mantains that the 4-2 defeat at the piggery against 10 men in 79 is his worst ever experience against them.
It just shades the 2008 last minute winner from Vineager of Hasslebank as my worst moment.

It just shades the 2008 last minute winner from Vineager of Hasslebank as my worst moment.

That could've been a memorable season Alex.

Leading 1-0, 11 v 11 and losing 4 goals to 10 men in the 2nd half is unforgiveable.

We'd have been looking at a treble, plus defeating 2 of the best teams in Europe too.

Am I right in saying that we'd to go in against Cologne with Parlane and Johnstone injured, seeing that Billy Urquhart was at CF?

That could've made a huge difference.

The third wasn't even on TV so bad had the first two been (1979 Scottish Cup Final).

Last edited:

It was a week after that nightmare. Your old man is correct. Losing a game like that against 10 was unforgivable.

That nightmare at Parkhead in 1979 was only partially removed from my worst memories by winning the league there in 1999.

The only good thing about that 4-2 game mate is there was a TV dispute and it wasn't covered. I've been trying to wipe it from my memory ever since.

Big Roddy the proddy at centre half for them
He was garbage , but we made him look like a world beater to , how many times did he score for them against us FFS

Offhand I'd need to check, but I know he scored the very last goal for the filth against us under ba' face. We lost 2-0 at the cesspit the week after we beat them in the LC final. (March 78)

Ronnie McKinnon, John Hughes 1964

This is simply a wonderful thread for those of us of a certain vintage and should have a 'memories of the way we were' sound track. The photo of Big Ronnie wearing his shorts pulled up speedo style as he liked to do in those days. Ronnie had a bit of a reputation along with Baxter and McLean as a snappy dresser who liked the ladies.

That could've been a memorable season Alex.

Leading 1-0, 11 v 11 and losing 4 goals to 10 men in the 2nd half is unforgiveable.

We'd have been looking at a treble, plus defeating 2 of the best teams in Europe too.

Am I right in saying that we'd to go in against Cologne with Parlane and Johnstone injured, seeing that Billy Urquhart was at CF?

That could've made a huge difference.

Correct.

DJ was not fit but came off the bench at Ibrox v Colonge.

The Germans were a more than decent side but not in the same class as Juventus or PSV.

Much like 2007/08 cup replays didn't help our cause. From memory we had replays against Kilmarnock and Thistle and of course 3 games against Hibs in the final.

The capitulation against 10 men at Parkhead was, in my opinion, solely down to the manager's overly cautious approach to football. He never recovered from the defeat.

Back