Match Thread St Mirren v Rangers - 12:30 Saturday - Sky Sports

So, out of 18 players, we have 1 recognised striker? Surely Sadiq or Dallas is worthy of a place on the bench? Surely?

Let’s be honest, if we didn’t have Katic we’d be more than happy with Worrall - he’s really not done much wrong bar the odd mis placed pass in a game but what defender doesn’t?

For what it’s worth, I’d have Katic in there ahead of him just because he’s a goal threat at corners but the constant moaning about the guy is OTT.

Happy enough with that XI, only frustration is yet another absence of Katic. No pressure JW but do not f*ck us today.

kcxifn.png

Worrall keeps his place

Starting to wonder now if there’s been a fallout between Gerrard and Katic

If not, there has to be something in Worralls loan deal about games played as there’s no other logical reason

Or Gerrard just prefers Worral? It’s not as if Worral has been culpable for goals left, right and centre.

Why does everything have to be a massive conspiracy theory nowadays?

So our defence has gotten worse since he becaame a regular in it and Worrall continues to start almost every match. Mind boggling, if the requirement is for him to play then send him back in January, having to play 3 players regularly when fit that we likely won't see any return from past this season is a bit silly. We'd be as well off giving Livi a small fee to get Halkett in January

No surprise candy, Coulibaly and Flanno dropped - all have been playing well below best recently! Good to see Grezda get a start! 3 nil gers!

Happy enough with that team. All energies should be focussed on this game and nobody rested for Moscow, the league is many times more important.

Or Gerrard just prefers Worral? It’s not as if Worral has been culpable for goals left, right and centre.

I think in the games seen katic is miles ahead.

But Gerrard maybe likes the idea of an English pairing, maybe thinks there’s more understanding.

Definitely feel a bit for katic, apart from Hamilton he’s been outstanding.

About time Grezda started. Two more attacking midfielders too. And no Flanno. I’ll go for a 3-0 win for us.

We've split up a very solid partnership to accommodate a player who is patchy at best. It is bizarre.

St Mirren FC‏Verified account @saintmirrenfc 1m1 minute ago
Rangers: McGregor, Tavernier, Worrall, Goldson, Jack, Ejaria, Kent, Halliday, Grezda, Arfield, Morelos Subs: Foderingham, Flanagan, Rossiter, Katic, Candieas, Coulibaly, Middleton
Other than a striking option that’s as strong a bench as we’ve had for a very long time. I’d like to see Rossiter and Middleton get some game time in the right circumstances. ie not to replace injured colleagues.

The Worrall obsession in here is getting beyond a joke.
Apart from a very hard game in Villareal, no game he's played in have we conceded more than once.
The problem we have is creating and scoring goals, the defence is doing ok whether Worrall or Katic play.

I personally would give Katic a start as I think he is a bigger threat at set pieces and is a better long term investment, but you'd think Worrall was another Cribari the way folk go on about him.

Katic continued absence is mystifying, unless his attitude is all wrong.

Time for Grezda to step up and show what he is all about, been here long enough, he has been eased back in, knows what it’s all about.

Just do it Rangers.

Last edited:
Katic is a far superior player to Worral.

I don’t disagree, I really like Katic myself and probably prefer him to Worral but it isn’t outwith the realms of possibility that Gerrard prefers Worral without there being some ‘fallout’ or contractual clause stipulating that Worral has to play every game as some are suggesting.

Katic also had an absolute shocker at Hamilton which won’t have helped his case any.

Joe Worrall's the new scapegoat for all our problems I see. :rolleyes:

Not really, but he's not exactly been great, has made mistakes and Goldson - Katić looked a more solid partnership.

People keep on harping about Katić being rotten at Hamilton. What about Worrall at Livingston, Worrall in midweek and Goldson at Fir Park - all performances similar to Katić at Hamilton, which was his first poor performance in a Rangers jersey and he still wasn't at fault for a goal.

I don't see the point in playing Worrall when he not better than the man he's keeping out, is on loan and we've no chance of landing him on a permanent deal.

I’ve made my thoughts clear on our centre half pairing but now is the time to get behind the team selected by the gaffer.

Let’s go Rangers!

The Worrall obsession in here is getting beyond a joke.
Apart from a very hard game in Villareal, no game he's played in have we conceded more than once.
The problem we have is creating and scoring goals, the defence is doing ok whether Worrall or Katic play.

I personally would give Katic a start as I think he is a bigger threat at set pieces and is a better long term investment, but you'd think Worrall was another Cribari the way folk go on about him.

Our support ALWAYS need a whipping boy.

If Worrall dropped out the team then they’d find someone else to criticise relentlessly.

I think Worrall was shocking on Wednesday &almost cost us the match SW.
He was outmuscled by Greg Stewart in the run up to the first goal.

Not much wrong with that team in my opinion. Good to see Grezda start. Good to see Flanagan and Coulibally drop out. Right decisions.

Worrall is the latest FF moan but in reality he has been quite solid defensively. He’s not as bad as made out on here, neither is he as good as he thinks he is. But he is not to blame for our recent poor results. However I would prefer we continued to develop the solid partnership of players contracted to us ie Goldson and Katic.

Not really, but he's not exactly been great, has made mistakes and Goldson - Katić looked a more solid partnership.

People keep on harping about Katić being rotten at Hamilton. What about Worrall at Livingston, Worrall in midweek and Goldson at Fir Park - all performances similar to Katić at Hamilton, which was his first poor performance in a Rangers jersey and he still wasn't at fault for a goal.

I don't see the point in playing Worrall when he not better than the man he's keeping out, is on loan and we've no chance of landing him on a permanent deal.

Personally I think our lack of creativity from midfield is far more of a pressing concern than Worrall vs Katic.

I certainly don't think it merited the 20 or so "Worrall FFS" posts in a row.

Hoping Grezda can step up and be that guy today.

The defence takes care of its own now , it’s middle to front which is the problem and if Morelos comes off we have no recognised striker on the bench which is worrying.

Our support ALWAYS need a whipping boy.

If Worrall dropped out the team then they’d find someone else to criticise relentlessly.
Often they do.

In this instance I think many took to Katic due to several good performances and Worrall has been playing in many duff ones not that the blame is all on him

Personally I think our lack of creativity from midfield is far more of a pressing concern than Worrall vs Katic.

I certainly don't think it merited the 20 or so "Worrall FFS" posts in a row.

Hoping Grezda can step up and be that guy today.

I don't see Katić getting out muscled for the Kilmarnock equaliser in midweek.

Looking forward to seeing Grezda, hopefully he steps up to the plate.

I was surprised initially that Katic didn’t come back in however, after watching the Hamilton game I understood it. He had an absolute disaster. If that’s how he’s been performing in training etc then he won’t play. Worral has been fine and certainly hasn’t put a performance in that’s been as bad as Katic at New Douglas Park. I like both of them but the manager sees them day in and day out. As folk have said, defending isn’t the problem just now.

Plus Katic is more of a goal threat from set plays.
It's a weird one because Katic and Gerrard seemed to have a bromance early on, but from Villarreal on it was like Stevie G caught him sleeping with Jimmy Bell.

Back