Jock Stein was inhumane intimidating and corrupt

JockStein was a ignorant bully who covered up child rape
John Hughes played for him and just sounds bitter with his shity club.

“We were on a post-season tour to America in 1966 and my first wife, Mary, was pregnant at the time,” he said. “I used to phone home every five or six days.

“Then I bumped into the sports reporter Ken Gallacher one morning and he said: 'Sorry to hear your news.’ I didn’t know what he was talking about until he told me that Mary had had a miscarriage four days earlier.

“Jock knew but he hadn’t told me, so make your own mind up about that. When I asked him about it, he said: 'Ach, what could you do about it, anyway? You’re here and she’s there.’ ”

What a disgusting secret to keep and way to treat people. A trait if you like.

“We were on a post-season tour to America in 1966 and my first wife, Mary, was pregnant at the time,” he said. “I used to phone home every five or six days.

“Then I bumped into the sports reporter Ken Gallacher one morning and he said: 'Sorry to hear your news.’ I didn’t know what he was talking about until he told me that Mary had had a miscarriage four days earlier.

“Jock knew but he hadn’t told me, so make your own mind up about that. When I asked him about it, he said: 'Ach, what could you do about it, anyway? You’re here and she’s there.’ ”

a rhat in every sense of the word, an evil coward id love to know what the hughes family think of it all

That is truly horrendous.

What a shite attitude.

Shows how much concern Stein had for his players's welfare when he couldn't let the guy know his wife had had a miscarriage , that was a disgraceful act of disrespect and contempt for the player but old Jock kept a lot of things to himself as we and the young victims now know . Knighthood fur winnin' the big wan ?...Aye right ! dream on timmy . :mad:

What an absolute scumbag.

Aye but he was a great pools salesman.

Scum each and every one of them. Always have been and always will be, but I suppose it's what we should expect from second class citizens who would rather reside elsewhere.

There was a poster on here just a couple of days back who insisted Stein was a thoroughly decent man and these were simply different times.
I must try to find that thread.

He was the manager of a football club. History tells us that most of the good ones were cnuts. In those days the match day squad was very small. He had to make room for what was coming through from the reserves.

Indeed he was a total cnut but he knew how to put a team together.

Because of the success of his managerial career and let's be honest he did not bad he is a protected species and untouchable but like the abuse scandal his cuntish side has been conveniently covered up.

I have to say I am hugely disappointed in hearing Stein's name in all of this.

I met him as part of a sponsorship thing when Fine Fare I think were about to sponsor the premier league.

A group of us from mount florida school when to hampden and were given these honking tops to play in by some sweaty oaf who brought in a clatty box of old tops.

Stein came in and told him to get the "fxxking new kits" - we all got the new Scotland kit and we even got new boots and went out on the Hampden turf and played 7 a sides with Stein giving us tips how to play. He even told me I was a good player and gave me instructions on passing the ball properly.

Archie MacPherson was there also and also said I was a decent player, he asked me who my favourite player was and I said Davie Cooper and he challenged me to nutmeg someone next time I got the ball which I did.

We all left Hampden awe struck that day.

I have to say I am hugely disappointed in hearing Stein's name in all of this.

I met him as part of a sponsorship thing when Fine Fare I think were about to sponsor the premier league.

A group of us from mount florida school when to hampden and were given these honking tops to play in by some sweaty oaf who brought in a clatty box of old tops.

Stein came in and told him to get the "fxxking new kits" - we all got the new Scotland kit and we even got new boots and went out on the Hampden turf and played 7 a sides with Stein giving us tips how to play. He even told me I was a good player and gave me instructions on passing the ball properly.

Archie MacPherson was there also and also said I was a decent player, he asked me who my favourite player was and I said Davie Cooper and he challenged me to nutmeg someone next time I got the ball which I did.

We all left Hampden awe struck that day.
Good post.
Jock Stein was in football terms an autocrat, it was perhaps the reason he was so successful, and let us be in no doubt he was a fantastic football manager.
Had he came to Rangers in 1964, who would bet against it being Rangers who would have gone onto win the European Cup and not the Filth.
He was the difference, indeed, had it been Rangers who benefited from his genius back then, I believe he would have been even more successful as we had the finer set of players.
So good was Stein, he was able to alter the balance between the clubs on his own.

However, there is no doubt that the man was also a very flawed individual with a tendency to favour the football dark arts and an almost Machiavellian disposition towards the welfare of others whose personal misfortunes were cruelly swotted out of his way as he pursued his own ambitions.

His behaviour in regards to Torbett is almost so shocking that Scottish football still in thrall to his image will simply shirk from addressing it.

What a disgusting way to treat anyone.

Good post.

His behaviour in regards to Torbett is almost so shocking that Scottish football still in thrall to his image will simply shirk from addressing it.

To be honest, I think Stein is a peripheral target here - whilst he was complicit in a cover-up, those who allowed him to return are far more culpable.

The worm really is turning.

I commentated yesterday I was shocked to see all of this gathering steam, a day later its even worse.

I think you'll see and hear a lot more in the next few weeks.

To be honest, I think Stein is a peripheral target here - whilst he was complicit in a cover-up, those who allowed him to return are far more culpable.
I would argue he is the prime cause of the paedophilia problems continuing at Sellik by not going to the police as soon as he found out about Torbettt, he allowed the abuse to continue through the years.

I actually agree with this.
Whilst Stein cannot escape criticism, it is unfair that such a matter and the decision making surrounding it should fall upon the manager of the football team.
It is clear that this decision and the events surrounding it were fully in the remit of those above Stein, they would have discussed it, they would have better understood the ramifications and it is they who would have imposed a policy of cover-up.
Stein was just the Prod patsy given the responsibility to do his masters bidding.

Such an executive decision rests above Stein's head and it demonstrates a working-class naivety within Stein that he did not recognise at the time that he was being used whilst more sophisticated minds were distancing themselves from matters.

Regarding the abuse I tend to agree but the fawning over him as if he was some kind of saint really gets on my nerves,His ability as football manager/coach is in absolutely no doubt he was unquestionably one of the greats but there were other characteristics that would have him in real trouble today.

Good post.
Jock Stein was in football terms an autocrat, it was perhaps the reason he was so successful, and let us be in no doubt he was a fantastic football manager.
Had he came to Rangers in 1964, who would bet against it being Rangers who would have gone onto win the European Cup and not the Filth.
He was the difference, indeed, had it been Rangers who benefited from his genius back then, I believe he would have been even more successful as we had the finer set of players.
So good was Stein, he was able to alter the balance between the clubs on his own.

However, there is no doubt that the man was also a very flawed individual with a tendency to favour the football dark arts and an almost Machiavellian disposition towards the welfare of others whose personal misfortunes were cruelly swotted out of his way as he pursued his own ambitions.

My memory may be playing tricks, Bilko, but I recall a piece by Gerry McNee around 20 years ago - might have been the time of the original child abuse revelations - where he recalled Stein fuming that 'the good name of Celtic must be protected and that lot [Rangers] are the real problem' or words to that effect. Stein's father and former best friend were Rangers supporters and he seemed to have a pathological dislike of us.

My issue with Stein is the 'football dark arts' and that he was at the front of a movement to blame Rangers for all of Scotland's problems, to tarnish our name, and yet all the while he was covering up all sorts behind closed doors. The sheer hypocrisy of it is something else.

The Scottish media have also spent 60 years protecting the name of Stein and Celtic. Archie MacPherson's biography has Archie swooning at Stein's bullying of his colleagues. Archie carries out a hatchet attack on Scot Symon for the BBC and meets Symon the next day who just says 'you're entitled to your opinion'. That's the kind of decency the Scottish media wanted to discredit in favour of Stein's 'dark arts'.

My memory may be playing tricks, Bilko, but I recall a piece by Gerry McNee around 20 years ago - might have been the time of the original child abuse revelations - where he recalled Stein fuming that 'the good name of Celtic must be protected and that lot [Rangers] are the real problem' or words to that effect. Stein's father and former best friend were Rangers supporters and he seemed to have a pathological dislike of us.

My issue with Stein is the 'football dark arts' and that he was at the front of a movement to blame Rangers for all of Scotland's problems, to tarnish our name, and yet all the while he was covering up all sorts behind closed doors. The sheer hypocrisy of it is something else.

The Scottish media have also spent 60 years protecting the name of Stein and Celtic. Archie MacPherson's biography has Archie swooning at Stein's bullying of his colleagues. Archie carries out a hatchet attack on Scot Symon for the BBC and meets Symon the next day who just says 'you're entitled to your opinion'. That's the kind of decency the Scottish media wanted to discredit in favour of Stein's 'dark arts'.
Yes, I can't disagree.
He was a bully who put the fear into journalists, officials and players alike.
Scot Symon was a decent man in contrast, and of course, this was perhaps the reason why as football changed and became even more venal in its competitive nature, Symon couldn't keep up.

I believe Stein didn't so much dislike Rangers, he just had an instinct to work his black arts off the field as much as he pursued success on the pitch and in this, he probably thought that Rangers had to be undermined whenever the opportunity arose.
If only he could have seen how this policy evolved with those who inherited the power at Celtc Park and those RC's who would achieve influence in Scottish and British society.

Spot on.

Heard Archie McPherson on Off the Ball this year.

I normally like him, but he was waxing lyrical about Stein and related a story which Cosgrove and others were laughing at.

Occurred to me that the story was nothing more than workplace bullying.

Totally unacceptable these days for a large grown man to chase a much smaller employee, scare him and then grab him by the throat while pushing him hard against a wall.

Changed days of course , but a strange story to be laughing at.

My old dad who is 90 always said he was a complete bully and knew about the abuse and as far as him throwing the paedo out the club-a complete fabrication, he was also a whore master. Vaunted as a saint but a complete bastird. Oh and far as him being in the craft a complete disgrace and no true member for allowing the abuse to go on for years.

Yes, I can't disagree.
He was a bully who put the fear into journalists, officials and players alike.
Scot Symon was a decent man in contrast, and of course, this was perhaps the reason why as football changed and became even more venal in its competitive nature, Symon couldn't keep up.

I believe Stein didn't so much dislike Rangers, he just had an instinct to work his black arts off the field as much as he pursued success on the pitch and in this, he probably thought that Rangers had to be undermined whenever the opportunity arose.
If only he could have seen how this policy evolved with those who inherited the power at Celtc Park and those RC's who would achieve influence in Scottish and British society.

I'm not so sure Stein was naive as to the effects of what he was doing. He seemed very content to be servile to the Celtic board - his own daughter says he had 'feet of clay' when it came to dealing with the Kellys and Whites. Like Archie himself, Stein came to dislike the community and culture he grew up in. Perhaps Archie saw something in himself in Stein. The damage Protestant handwringers have done!

Spot on.

Heard Archie McPherson on Off the Ball this year.

I normally like him, but he was waxing lyrical about Stein and related a story which Cosgrove and others were laughing at.

Occurred to me that the story was nothing more than workplace bullying.

Totally unacceptable these days for a large grown man to chase a much smaller employee, scare him and then grab him by the throat while pushing him hard against a wall.

Changed days of course , but a strange story to be laughing at.

Quite a common double standard. Stein was a genius for being a bully; Jock Wallace was old fashioned. Stein was a genius for intimidating officials; Souness was childish. Stein was a genius for dominating Scottish football; Walter ruined it by dominating Scottish football.

I don't think in any of his books Archie details any of Stein's personal flaws but is happy to relate tales of Willie Waddell's descent into alcoholism.

I was told a story one night at a dinner by two prominent Celtic players if that time both now sadly have passed away but we’re good guys.

They told about one morning Bobby Murdoch came into training and Stein told him he was being transferred to Middlesbrough on a free and he would be getting a far better wage and £7k in his bank only for Murdoch to find out many months later from a Bourgh Director that they paid £59k with 7 to him and 43 to Stein.

Back