John Motson retiring

Bristol_bnose

See he's retiring at the end of the season.

Have to say I can't stand the old fud. Full of his own self importance and seems to have a knack for missing obvious incidents and interpreting things wrong.

Tin hat on, but for me Barry Davies was always a better commentator from the BBC golden era (i.e when it was just them and ITV).

Preferred Barry Davies, remember him doing the commentary on the Actua Soccer games.

Motson has been eased out of prominance by the BBC for years now, getting decent games rather than the big games each week on MOTD.

Just a nostalgia act now, and his absence won't be noticed all that much.

Preferred Barry Davies, remember him doing the commentary on the Actua Soccer games.

Motson has been eased out of prominance by the BBC for years now, getting decent games rather than the big games each week on MOTD.

Just a nostalgia act now, and his absence won't be noticed all that much.

has not covered a live game for the BBC since the Euro 2008 final

Last edited:
Don't think any tin hat is required. He's never been a particularly great commentator - he's just always been around.

I always liked Motson.

He struck me as the sort who went to sleep at night in football pyjamas under a big England duvet reading the Topical Times annual.

There's a lot of bandwagon jumping when it comes to people like Motson. It's popular in modern Britain to dislike people for little or no reason. I get it with helmets like Piers Morgan but to me Motson is an iconic commentator who has spanned a vast era. He may not be Barry Davies but compared to the ultimate rhetards we have to tolerate now, he is a dying breed.

He isn't the greatest of commentators. An old stato who has been in the process of being replaced by ex pros.

No one .... absolutely no one could say the word "Lineker" like Motson could.

(Mike Channon doesn`t count ;) )

Decent commentator who more made his name for being a bit of a buffoon.

A bit too pompous and full of his self importance for me - for example when Davis got the 1998 WC final. Davis was better as he actually gave good analysis too. Agree that Brian moore was best of that era.

Who would you even say now? Martyn Tyler is a bit past it.

I honestly cant remember the last time I heard him commentate on a game? Already thought he had retired. :eek:

See he's retiring at the end of the season.

Have to say I can't stand the old fud. Full of his own self importance and seems to have a knack for missing obvious incidents and interpreting things wrong.

Tin hat on, but for me Barry Davies was always a better commentator from the BBC golden era (i.e when it was just them and ITV).
Completely agree. Should have retired years ago.

I thought he was supposed to have retired a few years ago but it never transpired.
Now it's hard to listen to him rambling on.

Old relic who should have been retired years ago. Occasionally gets wheeled out as some sort of guru whose opinion is to be revered. He's full of shite and I'll be glad when his whiney nasal voice fcuks off.

I couldn't believe when I heard Barry Davies commentating at Wimbledon. I thought he was dead

50 years at the BBC is some going.

Surprised he wasn't caught up in the Yewtree scandal as they all seemed to be! Says he's not retiring totally from commentating so he'll probably get a nicely paid gig elsewhere.

Back