James McArthur evidence that bang average players can hold their own in the EPL?

Heggy

I've always thought he was an incredibly limited player but seems to play week in week out down south. The fact he couldn't even get a game for Scotland shows how poor a player he is. Imagine him trying to play week in week out in La Liga, he'd look like Ross Tokely at his worst

How do you explain his inability to not get a game for an absolutely dire Scotland side?

For me that's a dross player. He's a headless chicken that can't pass

I've always thought he was an incredibly limited player but seems to play week in week out down south. The fact he couldn't even get a game for Scotland shows how poor a player he is. Imagine him trying to play week in week out in La Liga, he'd look like Ross Tokely at his worst

The Scotland set up is both a joke and favourable to people of a certain background. Basing a player's qualities on Scotland's caps is ludicrous.

How do you explain his inability to not get a game for an absolutely dire Scotland side?

I can't explain the Scotland thing as I don't watch the national team but I reckon he would comfortably walk straight into our first team

I think he gives a very consistent account of himself week in week out and that elevates his status as a contributor to a team in a competitive league.
He does what it says on his personal tin so to speak, and he can be relied upon not to let you down.
He may not win you the game, but if you have a chance to win it, he can lay a platform to do so.

What a ridiculous post.

Do you think all the top leagues are full of world class players? All top leagues are full of players of McArthurs ability. He would do a job in any league in Europe.

As for Scotland? Well he’s played for the most part when Scotland’s golden boys Darren Fletcher and the Lego eater have been playing.

Last edited:

Strachan being a terrible Scotland manager and not picking the best players.

I'd also probably conclude that he isn't bang average if he's holding his own in the Premier League.

For me, he is the opposite of what you describe.

He does not run about mental, his game is very controlled and he reads the game well.

He very rarely wastes a pass, that is his strongest asset.

My only criticism of him is that his passes tend to be 'safe' and are not incisive enough.

If he’s bang average what does that make Ryan Jack who can’t get a game for Scotland either , and I doubt he would get a game down south but some rangers fans seem to think he’s some player.

Recent Scotland managers ignored Scott Arfield but played in Barry Bannan and Charlie Mulgrew in central midfield.

Scotland caps post-McLeish's first spell aren't a barometer of anything considering they've been given out by a bunch of useless fannies who've not even got close to qualifying for anything.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Ask Palace fans what they think of him.
Would still love to see him at Ibrox and would fit in well to Stevie Gs style. Box to box midfielder with no little skill & plenty agression.
Has he not withdrawn himself from Scotland selection?

But harsh although it depends on who your comparing him too.

James McArthur not playing for Scotland is his decision, not the manager’s.
If he made himself available for selection then I’m sure AM would select him.

If you think he’s ‘incredibly limited’ I’d shudder to hear your opinion on some of our current squad.

He’s no world beater but has carved out a decent career in a competitive environment.

He's better than any of our midfield mate

Last edited:

If we could equate your post and football knowledge to a past footballer then you probably would be in the realms of Ali Dia.

With a post like this I wouldnt be calling anyone bang average

A certain notts forest captain won titles n a european cup twice dont think he ever got a scotland cap... bang average eh

Andy Gray, Duncan Ferguson, Alan Hansen, Graham Souness, Andy Goram , Davie Robertson, Ian Ferguson , Davie Copper and Ian Durrant were some of the best players of the 80’s and 90’s and struggled to get a run of games for Scotland. Fast forward ten years and Charlie Mulgrew was undroppable even though he couldn’t hold down a regular position at Celtic.

Back