Serious Delusion amongst our support

I was there today in the ground and was disgusted at the performance turned in by the team with the backing we have.

I don’t care where we were a year ago etc, if Caixinha was sacked yesterday I’d expect the team to fight for one another and play with purpose, something totally lacking in this side today.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed!

I opened this thread ready to slate you

I now salute you

Agree with the OP in most aspects,

How we've faired is neither here nor there when it was a winner takes all tie that was the challenge they've failed & now we're expected to accept an abject performance that is being praised as some sort of good performance when its patently obvious it was anything but.

I'd call that a whitewash Irrespective of what they have achieved before tonight it's actually embarrassing for our manager to paint that display as acceptable.

Progress is one thing setting & maintaining a standard is quite another.

We are in the rebuild process. We lost a year due to Ally fucking up the Championship and we lost another due to the appointment of Pedro.

Gerrard and his team, by getting us to the Group stages unexpectedly has clawed a year back. I’m not happy we went out but in general, with a team of free agents, kids and a couple of £2m players, we are doing ok.

I was there today in the ground and was disgusted at the performance turned in by the team with the backing we have.

I don’t care where we were a year ago etc, if Caixinha was sacked yesterday I’d expect the team to fight for one another and play with purpose, something totally lacking in this side today.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed!

Yer team is currently being fcuked 2-0 at home OP.

That feels good to me.

Look how far they have fallen.:D

5 minutes ago we were getting beat off Stirling Albion with Kevin Kyle leading the line.

It's been a good run.

You've grasped part of the problem but haven't managed to apply it in any way. I'll try and put it clearly - if you aren't a Celtic fan, then you are delusional if you think that a team put together in one window after one of the least successful seasons in our top flight history should be qualifying from the group stages of the Europa League.

Months ago I would have agreed. Over a period, you see what this side can be capable of and get an understanding of your teams level as opposed to others in the group. I genuinely think we "should" have qualified from that group.

In all honesty, that group wasn't anywhere near the calibre some would have you believe.

There seems to be a tangle between being frustrated at not taking a great chance we had and people being annoyed at people for thinking that way and adopting this mentality look how far we've come. We've been dropping backwards again after showing promise and I can agree and understand points of a lot of these types of posts.

Far from delusional to suggest we should have qualified from that group even though it was only one window.

A defeat always hurts and we shouldn't meekly accept it however in the immediate aftermath of defeat a lot of harsh criticisms are made in the heat of the moment. A more balanced picture normally appears after a couple of days.
Today we weren't great but we certainly weren't disgraced and had some good individual performances.

are we? Seemed fine with Katic and Goldson, Borna is a player and i think the keeper has a decent rep?
Katic?
I think the manager disagrees with you. He's about 4th in line now and a Greek reportedly coming in in January.
As for Goldson, I might be in the minority but in my opinion he's not good enough either.

With all due respect we did exactly just that.

That's why The Founder's Trail is so successful.

Our fans are doing that to see exactly how far we've come from our humble beginnings on Flesher's Haugh.

We of course must always strive to be better by seeing where we've come from and aiming improve on these achievements. I doubt there's any players or fans who are happy that we've gone out tonight but I think we should put aside disappointment at the result and performance tonight to see the progress from last year's European debacle.

SG and his team have had 1 transfer window to make wholesale changes to a massively underperforming squad which, lets face it, was not good enough. There was no way that we could expect zero to hero in such a short space of time with the turnover of players relatively modest budget.

I think we've also struggled due to the number of games in the 5 months since July 12th and the fact that most of the squad aren't used to that level of sustained intensity.

That's not a problem that can be solved overnight so I think we have to have modest short term expectations for a better long term outlook.

To me that's key to our current issues when we have everyone firing on all cylinders we are a good team the problem is footballs not like 10-15 years ago is faster more physically demanding we were at our best when players were getting proper recovery time and training we don't have the squad of quality in both first 11 and back ups to compete on all fronts

The red cards the the number of games etc have all players a play to where we are

I'm not too disappointed by tonight think we missed an opportunity but in the end the last 6 years have been hell we are getting better we are getting strong both on and off the park we just need to keep improving

You’re way ott with this post. Get a grip ffs the players put in a shift.

ad hominem reply, typical of you

The irony of your post is unquantifiable.

You're a bit creepy – I'm not going to find you in a tree outside my house with a pair of binoculars and your skants down, am I?

Last edited:
:D

I'll put this post down to the drink & the fact you're forgetting how big a disaster last year was compared to this years dalliance in Europe.

I'll imagine you'll have the fear in the morning :D

Sometimes blue may be more apt.

“I was there in the ground” = look how staunch I am travelling to Vienna, and my overtly negative opinion is therefore more important.

We didn’t have the quality tonight to win. To describe that as a disgusting and abject performance is just utter guff. Why do people have so much trouble differentiating between lack of quality and lack of effort?
Noticed this alot these days when Rangers fans dont like another they brandish them "staunch"

When did being staunch become a put down?

I think some people are just trying far, far too hard to accept things these days. It's got nothing to do with how far we've come but when you look back, the games we've lost and what it has cost us isn't good.

Tonight was not a good result and going out of the competition was not something I can accept as "oh well, we got this far". As I said on another post. At the start of the season I would have accepted where we got to tonight no problem - having seen what we are capable of and what the other clubs' level was I am very disappointed we are out.

Yip we should be grateful to be less less pish than Ufa and Osijek.

Lucky us.

2nd year back in Europe since starting from the gutter.

Last season pummelled off some diddy part timers in the first round.

This season first team EVER to qualify for the group stages when beginning from the first round qualifiers.

Competed in a group with some well established teams in every single match we have played.

Am i disappointed? Yes as i felt there were opportunities in games where we could have picked up more points (sparktak home and away and tonight) but let's gain a sense of perspective f f s.

I for one am proud of our European adventure this season. The team can hold their heads high.

I dont see that as me "accepting mediocrity" but merely accepting where we have come from.

30b0ok3.jpg

Some seem happy to accept mediocrity & call it progess

If there is a word in here I agree with, Ive missed it.

It’s not negative, it’s constructive. Rangers never became the most successful club in the world with that “look how far we have come” mentality.

No Rangers team have ever come back from the bottom tier of Scottish football before so perhaps expectations have been tempered slightly because of this.

I’ve saw better Rangers teams lose to worse European teams than I have this season. This year has been one where we have started to get some credibility back especially after the Progres fiasco.

We are moving in the right direction but we’ll only get back to where we were with time, patience and money.

It's dillusional to think a team that has been in a state of disarray for 6 years and is made up of bargains and loan signings is going to get to the knockout stages of Europe after 6 months. We've not done badly and we missed two of our top performers tonight. The pitch was minging too.
It's fair to say we are short in midfield and up front and now we have a less hectic schedule I hope we get a more settled team selection.
Calm down. It's a journey

Last edited:
I’m afraid it’s the Emperors New Clothes syndrome with many of our fans.
Most of us know what we are seeing unlike those who buttered up the emperor. Last season and for too long, before that, we saw a Rangers team that was dire. Those who were being realistic were looking for progress in the short term and that has been achieved. This season was always going to be a work in progress season and we are not half way through it. While you are entitled to suggest that many of our fans are kidding themselves on, suspect that there might be many more, who understand that it was always going to be take a full season plus, even to begin to approach the level that we would all like to see our team achieve.

There’s a big difference between being deluded and accepting facts. We don’t have the caliber of players we had 10 years ago. It’s a rebuilding job and I’m proud of the team

Noticed this alot these days when Rangers fans dont like another they brandish them "staunch"

When did being staunch become a put down?

You've missed the point.

The OP clearly thinks he's staunch because he went to Vienna. He's not, as demonstrated by his nonsense post.

It becomes a putdown when folk think putting money into the club gives them a right to be overtly critical.

I agree with your sentiment - domestically speaking. I do believe we have made very clear progress in Europe and our showings have given us some respect back.

However in terms of harming the culture of our great club by accepting defeat, second best or worst then I do believe that is creeping in and does as you say need fixed. There’s too many bears willing to accept second and hoping Celtic someone slip up at some point and don’t win the SC. That’s not Rangers talk to me and I echo what you say about that attitude needing “fixed”.

You've missed the point.

The OP clearly thinks he's staunch because he went to Vienna. He's not, as demonstrated by his nonsense post.

It becomes a putdown when folk think putting money into the club gives them a right to be overtly critical.
It wasnt just this post though ive noticed it alot on here and another forum over the past year or two. Dont like a fellow Rangers fan or his opinion he's "Staunch"

Maybe its just me but id rather be staunch than not so i just wonder if its the new age fans the ones that want to sing ole ole rangers ole ole instead of the sash or the billy boys that are using this term for a put down?

It's frustrating knowing that for want of a creative midfield player we are out of the Europa League and have kissed goodbye to 2 mil. At the end of the day, what we have is a team that is very far from being the finished article. It's shortcomings are I'm sure, as apparent to Gerrard as they are to the fans, but he must be given time to get things right - which I'm convinced he eventually will.

Take the breasts for instance, because of the stacked deck they benefit from, they start each season with a vast financial advantage over Rangers yet despite this fact they, too, have failed to advance to the playoff round. Surely Rodgers comes out of this the real loser, he had a far stronger hand to play than Gerrard and yet he managed to blow it.

It wasnt just this post though ive noticed it alot on here and another forum over the past year or two. Dont like a fellow Rangers fan or his opinion he's "Staunch"

Maybe its just me but id rather be staunch than not so i just wonder if its the new age fans the ones that want to sing ole ole rangers ole ole instead of the sash or the billy boys that are using this term for a put down?

It's being used ironically in the context of people who aren't staunch, rather than the word itself having negative connotations.

Being staunch in principal certainly isn't a bad thing.

2nd year back in Europe since starting from the gutter.

Last season pummelled off some diddy part timers in the first round.

This season first team EVER to qualify for the group stages when beginning from the first round qualifiers.

Competed in a group with some well established teams in every single match we have played.

Am i disappointed? Yes as i felt there were opportunities in games where we could have picked up more points (sparktak home and away and tonight) but let's gain a sense of perspective f f s.

I for one am proud of our European adventure this season. The team can hold their heads high.

I dont see that as me "accepting mediocrity" but merely accepting where we have come from.

Who told you that?

After where we were after 3 games regardless of how we looked before the season it is a massive let down how it has ended up apart from the goldson header not once in the game did I think we looked like scoreing which is a big worry against a very average team .

Back