Serious Delusion amongst our support

foreverblue

Official Ticketer
I was there today in the ground and was disgusted at the performance turned in by the team with the backing we have.

I don’t care where we were a year ago etc, if Caixinha was sacked yesterday I’d expect the team to fight for one another and play with purpose, something totally lacking in this side today.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed!

Last edited:
I think some people are just trying far, far too hard to accept things these days. It's got nothing to do with how far we've come but when you look back, the games we've lost and what it has cost us isn't good.

Tonight was not a good result and going out of the competition was not something I can accept as "oh well, we got this far". As I said on another post. At the start of the season I would have accepted where we got to tonight no problem - having seen what we are capable of and what the other clubs' level was I am very disappointed we are out.

“I was there in the ground” = look how staunch I am travelling to Vienna, and my overtly negative opinion is therefore more important.

We didn’t have the quality tonight to win. To describe that as a disgusting and abject performance is just utter guff. Why do people have so much trouble differentiating between lack of quality and lack of effort?

And the solution is? I think the delusion is with those who don't recognise, time and cost as key barriers to getting where we need to be.

Did you really expect at the season start to be one a game away from the last 32 in the Europa?

The serious delusion lies elsewhere mate, sorry hope you enjoy the rest of your trip but the delusion will see us demand another manager gets the sack.

There are 30 other negative posts already about us.
It was a negative result. Negative performance and not a good way to put out of Europe.

Negative performances and results do tend to increase negative opinions and comments. Not everyone is just going to go on about how happy they are we got this far.

I'd say it's you that's showing signs of delusion.

The players put it in tonight. We all know we're missing a bit of quality in midfield but hopefully that'll be addressed in the transfer window, Gerrard has alluded to that in the post match conference.

Better Rangers sides than this have had much worse European campaigns.

“I was there in the ground” = look how staunch I am travelling to Vienna, and my overtly negative opinion is therefore more important.

We didn’t have the quality tonight to win. To describe that as a disgusting and abject performance is just utter guff. Why do people have so much trouble differentiating between lack of quality and lack of effort?
Still entitled to an option.

I was there today in the ground and was disgusted at the performance turned in by the team with the backing we have.

I don’t care where we were a year ago etc, if Caixinha was sacked yesterday I’d expect the team to fight for one another and play with purpose, something totally lacking in this side today.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of thrnckub until it’s fixded!
Away to yer bed ffs!!

Couldn't agree more. Some of our fans are slowly morphing into the mentality of a perennial diddy club fan. If we had anything about us we would be in the last 32. Both Spartak and Rapid were incredibly average teams and Villarreal were there for the taking too. No-where near good enough.

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of thrnckub until it’s fixded!
Dry yer eyes mate. For a team of mediocre players we done rather well getting there.

We don’t have the quality to meet our expectations in every game, best accepting that now!

The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure - we were absolutely abject tonight in all positions against a team that is below some “farm teams” (as a rapid fan called them). This constant attitude of “oh well we done well”’will seriously harm the culture of our great club - it needs fixed!

How many other teams in this years Europa league group stages played in the bottom tier of their pyramid 5 years ago?

Maybe that's why some of us are quite happy with the progress this year?

"The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure"

A reply, all the way from Scotland: What a steaming pile of shîte.

When we lost in Manchester, we were collectively disappointed but proud of how far our team went. Did we undermine our traditions of success and celebrate failure then?

Our goal in Europe is to progress as far as we can, relative to where the quality of our team is standing, and if that ever results in winning it — Magic.

Success in Europe is matching or exceeding our expectations and given we're 6 months in with a new squad, new manager, injured players and pumped out by Progres last year I'd suggest that this campaign we've exceeded our expectations.

Be grateful that the team gave you the opportunity to travel to Vienna to support this season and be grateful you can afford it. Go get pished and have a good night rather than using up your 4g allowance having a cry-w@nk on here.

You've grasped part of the problem but haven't managed to apply it in any way. I'll try and put it clearly - if you aren't a Celtic fan, then you are delusional if you think that a team put together in one window after one of the least successful seasons in our top flight history should be qualifying from the group stages of the Europa League.

Ironic thread title!

Delusion would be saying that we haven't made any progress as a team, delusion would be seeing improvement and ignoring it in search of something better.

We a Rangers, we are winners but we are building a team and have had to build new teams every season for the past few seasons!

The nonsense about "diddy club mentality" and "celebrating failure" is pointless drivel, the fact is that the majority are sensible and are praising the vast progress in our team.

We have a decent side that will improve further in January.

I am disappointed after tonight but we need to focus on the League and recognise the strides that have been taken by our club so far this season.

Utter bollocks. Tradition and standards is fine if you have the right tools to back them up. We haven't had this since 2011.

The delusion lies with you my friend.

We've no European pedigree to speak of these days. We've done well to get to where we have done and it will prove pivotal toward rebuilding the club.

The club is steeped in under achievement on the European stage and we've consistently come up short against sides as limited as Vienna with far better sides than the one we have at present.

Some worrying responses that prove my point to a tee. Pretend the Europa League didn’t exist, Rapid are the level of a Hearts (being generous) and what’s worrying me is that we are turning in performance after performance in the “big games” that is on par with the darkest days of Caixinha and Murty!

We can all live off the “glories” of Maribor and Osijek but when it comes to it, what big games have we won this season?? None!! We drew all the big Europa qualifiers and in the SPFL we’ve failed in all the crunch matches bar Hearts away, we’ve been a total sham. How folk find the time to defend some of the performances is deeply concerning and proves my point about sections of our great support accepting mediocrity!!

It’s not negative, it’s constructive. Rangers never became the most successful club in the world with that “look how far we have come” mentality.

There’s absolutely nothing constructive about it. Calling the performance disgusting and abject is somebody that’s either delusional or just doesn’t understand the game. We lacked quality, a cutting edge and a bit of tactical nuance to win the game. Disgusting and abject never comes into it.

It’s not negative, it’s constructive. Rangers never became the most successful club in the world with that “look how far we have come” mentality.
So how did they become it then? By a team immediately going out and smashing and winning everything in our path. We've been set back sure, but %^*& sake take in to account the positives. I'm not saying it's good enough, not at all, but right now WE are not good enough. I get the impatience, everyone is in the same boat, but whether you like it or not, it's not a quick fix.

I agree , there was certainly effort but effort alone does not win games. We have a severe lack of quality in that team/squad.

This abuse mentality we seem to protray needs to stop, from manager to support. Manager mentions where we were last year, forget it, move on, I don't want to be here next year, playing team with big names who are really on the face of it better than average, stop giving too much respect. Supporters, stop harping back to 6 years ago or 3 years ago against Alloa, its the now we need to worry about, beating Hamilton and then tricky game away to Hibs.

I don’t think it’s fair to question the players effort and commitment. They are giving everything they have but ultimately they just aren’t good enough.

Bollox, did you type this at half time from the bheggardome?

Here's how I personally expect a club like Rangers should get on : Each season we should aim to do more (or equal if it was a particularly successful season) than we did the previous year.

If we do that then the good times will inevitably arrive

It's quite simple, if you compare it to 12 months ago we have come on absolute leaps and bounds on the European scene

No one is happy that we lost tonight, but at the same time you can't act like a spoiled kid and expect to win everything. It's a sport, there is a winner and a loser, have a bit of grace tonight and accept that the guys out there have done us proud overall.

The look how far we have come is actually a good way to put things.

However we have to be saying the same this time next year when looking at this season and not 2 years previous.

Better Rangers teams than this have had worse seasons in European.

New management team, new squad in. These are massive changes

It is disappointing but we're on the right track and certainly no need to throw the toys out the pram

Rapid are the level of a Motherwell etc

Whit the fck you been drinking pal ? Aye rapid were nothing special and with a bit of luck we could have beat them tonight but remember this is a gaffer in his 1st season with how many new players ? And we were 1 win away from going through to the last 32.. this what you call progress and hopefully next year we will be all the more wiser..

Onwards n upwards !!

Serious delusion to think that a new squad with a rookie manager, with a limited budget could do better I think.

"The attitude of “look how far we’ve come”, something I heard numerous time at the whistle might seriously undermine our traditions and attitude of success, a total celebration of failure"

A reply, all the way from Scotland: What a steaming pile of shîte.

When we lost in Manchester, we were collectively disappointed but proud of how far our team went. Did we undermine our traditions of success and celebrate failure then?

Our goal in Europe is to progress as far as we can, relative to where the quality of our team is standing, and if that ever results in winning it — Magic.

Success in Europe is matching or exceeding our expectations and given we're 6 months in with a new squad, new manager, injured players and pumped out by Progres last year I'd suggest that this campaign we've exceeded our expectations.

Be grateful that the team gave you the opportunity to travel to Vienna to support this season and be grateful you can afford it. Go get pished and have a good night rather than using up your 4g allowance having a cry-w@nk on here.
My sentiment s exactly mate!

With all due respect we did exactly just that.

That's why The Founder's Trail is so successful.

Our fans are doing that to see exactly how far we've come from our humble beginnings on Flesher's Haugh.

We of course must always strive to be better by seeing where we've come from and aiming improve on these achievements. I doubt there's any players or fans who are happy that we've gone out tonight but I think we should put aside disappointment at the result and performance tonight to see the progress from last year's European debacle.

SG and his team have had 1 transfer window to make wholesale changes to a massively underperforming squad which, lets face it, was not good enough. There was no way that we could expect zero to hero in such a short space of time with the turnover of players relatively modest budget.

I think we've also struggled due to the number of games in the 5 months since July 12th and the fact that most of the squad aren't used to that level of sustained intensity.

That's not a problem that can be solved overnight so I think we have to have modest short term expectations for a better long term outlook.

The thread title and then the actual OP - very ironic. Had to check I was reading things properly.

If we had pulled out a win today I'd have been surprised but delighted.

However, our form has been poor for about a month now,, and looking at our last four to five results the exit was on the cards.

Yeah, I know the road to baku was getn sung but we were doing a good spell in Villarreal, then Rapid at home things were looking up.

Then near match 5 there were posters making a toss up between league and Europe, in which a few were looking to exit Europe.

Well you have what you've asked for let's see if league form improves.

It has to or we suffer the consequences.

Should have gave your ticket to a bear

You are delusional

Back