Halliday as Attacking Midfielder against St J - worth a shot?

True Blue Avenger

As per title. We know Arfield will be out on Sunday which limits our midfield options even further. Coulibaly had a decent game last night and covered ground well but not convinced he's got the skill set to play as the most advanced of our midfield 3. Mccrorie and Jack should be nailed on to start as both very impressive last night and kept us ticking over nicely but maybe give Halliday a try as the advanced midfielder?

Granted we've not really been using hin in midfield this season but we know Andy can strike a ball and reckon his attacking instincts are probably better than the others. So it would be worth giving him a shot in that role on Sunday imo, he's not let us down at all this season and sure he'd give it his all.

Coulibaly did not have a decent game last night. He is probably our worst player.

Going his performances in the last 2 months I would terminate his loan as well.

We have limited options with what to do in the midfield now. Might just need to go 4-4-2. Play Jack and McCrorie in the middle and hope we get goals from Lafferty and Morelos.

If we manage to go a few goals up I wonder if it's option to give young Stephen Kelly a few minutes in that position to see if he's ready as we're short on options just now

Nope - don't Warburton him.

Waburton and to a lesser extent Pedro started to break football players when they had them doing things they thought players should do rather than that players were able to do.

Personally I’d be tempted to play 4-4-1-1 with Middleton supporting Morelos. He’s quick, strong, can finish and Morelos need support, he can’t do it all himself but he tries to none the less resulting in him snatching at chances and shooting from ridiculous places.

Coulibaly did not have a decent game last night. He is probably our worst player.

We have limited options with what to do in the midfield now. Might just need to go 4-4-2. Play Jack and McCrorie in the middle and hope we get goals from Lafferty and Morelos.

I would suggest you watch the game back mate.

Coulibaly was very good last night.

Personally I’d be tempted to play 4-4-1-1 with Middleton supporting Morelos. He’s quick, strong, can finish and Morelos need support, he can’t do it all himself but he tries to none the less resulting in him snatching at chances and shooting from ridiculous places.
Strong is the last thing I would describe him as. He couldn't get past a man against Aberdeen in the same way as my nephew wouldn't be able to get past me in a game, no matter how quick he is.

I thought he was very good

Spent his time in England as a winger did he not?
Maybe stems from that.
I reckon he would be better there than Coulibaly

I'm not 100% sure, but I can't see what he would bring as a 'winger' and/or attacking midfielder. He's having a decent season so far, and was poor when being shunted about in positions where he didn't perform. Bit 'dangerous', IMO

Lol - so it's a resounding "no" from most then. Picking up on a few points:

- Coulibaly was not poor last night, he was almost back to his early season form and did a lot of hard work. Its just that he's not great in final third and thats where our problems currently lie.

- would seriously doubt that young Kelly is ready to start and make a difference but hopefully his time will come.

- also can't see us changing formation to 4-4-2, as much as I can undetstand the logic behind it.

- As another poster mentioned, Halliday was more of a winger / attacking midfielder before we signed him. It was Warburton who played him as DM and latterly Gerrard who converted him to utility LB. Think back to some of his goals from his first season, some really good strikes amongst them (albeit against weaker opposition) and he was certainly not shy of getting forward when opportunity arose. He has his flaws and wouldn't want to rely on him long term but just think he'd be worth trying in the Arfield role and instructed to just get involved in attacking play as much as possible, leave the defensive tidying up to Jack and McCrorie.

I don't think this will actually happen btw and would guess midfield 3 that finished last night will start on Sunday. But still think there's merit in trying it in a game where we desperately need to find our scoring instincts again.

Not saying he's the solution for the game but he can hit a free kick and shoot from distance. Yes I know we need more than that but could be an option

I’d have Halliday in that position before Coulibally. Would offer a goal threat from striking outside the box which Coulibally doesn’t, he’s a far better passer of the ball IMO also. Coulibally would offer us more physically and in the air but wastes the ball nearly every time he picks it up in an attacking position.

Just to add, I was at the game last night so need to watch it back incase I see it in a different light but I honestly thought he was terrible again. Take on board a lot of people saying he looked a bit better but I just don’t see it with him. Really poor on the ball and thought he wasted so many opportunities whenever he picked it up in the final third.

Last edited:

No offence mate but did you watch the game with your eyes closed?!
Coulibaly can certainly improve his finishing but I thought his overal display playing a bit further forward than usual was his best since earlier in the season before his injury.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you in relation to Coulibaly.

He had his best game for months last night and on that performance, other than for tactical reasons, I wouldn't be dropping him.

Team from 2nd half last night will do me, but keep Grezda instead of middleton. If we keep that level of performance up we are due to give someone else a skelping

Coulibaly played well last night. What game were you watching?

As per title. We know Arfield will be out on Sunday which limits our midfield options even further. Coulibaly had a decent game last night and covered ground well but not convinced he's got the skill set to play as the most advanced of our midfield 3. Mccrorie and Jack should be nailed on to start as both very impressive last night and kept us ticking over nicely but maybe give Halliday a try as the advanced midfielder?

Granted we've not really been using hin in midfield this season but we know Andy can strike a ball and reckon his attacking instincts are probably better than the others. So it would be worth giving him a shot in that role on Sunday imo, he's not let us down at all this season and sure he'd give it his all.
No

I’d play 4-4-2 to combat this lack of creativity and lack of players available to play the 4-3-3 correctly

Shagger
Tav
Goldson
McAuley/Worrall
Barisic

Candeias
Jack
McCrorie
Middleton

Morelos
Lafferty

Thats rubbish mate...coulibaly had a good game

He can shoot from outside the box for one, which is a talent none of our other midfielders apparently have.

Having a potshot from outside the box is not a reason to deploy him as an attacking midfielder, IMO.

But, suppose we won't know how effective he will be unless he is played there.

Why would you change the system when we played very well last night ? The system won’t improve our ability to finish clear cut chances

Until last night we were creating very little. Morelos fashioned most of his chances for himself last night also so I'd hardly say the system has been working recently in an attacking sense.

We also don't have anybody who is a suitable replacement for Arfield in the attacking mid role so maybe best to change the system in order to pose more of a goal threat.

Coulibaly was nearing his early season form last night.

What game we're you watching?

He was poor in the first half. Invisible.

In the second half we was outstanding

Get yourself along to Specsavers quickly!

Nope - don't Warburton him.

Waburton and to a lesser extent Pedro started to break football players when they had them doing things they thought players should do rather than that players were able to do.

Is Halliday not an attacking midfielder naturally? Left sided though. Warburton was the one that had him playing defensive mid.

Probably can only remember the bit where he had a powder puff shot instead of squaring it to Grezda and couldn't actually see all the other good work he did both on and off the ball
I was raging about not playing it to Grezda or Arfield
But all round I thought he was very good

Bizarre suggestion tbh.

Oddly enough our midfield was probably better in the 2nd half last night & I thought Coulibaly did surprising well in a more advanced position particularly due to his power & athleticism.

I get really tired of the constant calls for 4-4-2. What are the 2 in centre mid supposed to do when they are surrounded by 2 wingers & 2 attacking full backs & an opposition who will more likely than not have an extra man in the middle?

No just bloody No

McCorie.
Jack.
Coulibaly.

Candias.
Alfie.
Grezda.

That will be our team on Sunday, I would put money on it infact
(if all fit of course)

People saying Coulibally is pish.
Buried a parent and just back from injury.
Deary Deary Me just madness!!

I would suggest you watch the game back mate.

Coulibaly was very good last night.
Better than of late, for sure, but very good is stretching it a bit.
The balance of the midfield is not right with Coulibaly in front of McCrorie and Jack. We need to find a player with natural attacking instincts to play that role and that ain't Coulibaly or Halliday.

Maybe Grezda?

Back