Halliday as Attacking Midfielder against St J - worth a shot?

Actually not the worst idea. The only midfielder we've got that can shoot. It would be a very temporary measure, but with the lack of options it's maybe worth a go.

What game we're you watching?

He was poor in the first half. Invisible.

In the second half we was outstanding

No he was slightly better than invisible in the second half, thats about it.

Watch the game again. See how many time he completely slows our play down. Watch how never lifts his head when running with the ball.

He lacks any sort of football intelligence and he is not the way forward our club. I would return him to Angers and bring back Doherty.

As per title. We know Arfield will be out on Sunday which limits our midfield options even further. Coulibaly had a decent game last night and covered ground well but not convinced he's got the skill set to play as the most advanced of our midfield 3. Mccrorie and Jack should be nailed on to start as both very impressive last night and kept us ticking over nicely but maybe give Halliday a try as the advanced midfielder?

Granted we've not really been using hin in midfield this season but we know Andy can strike a ball and reckon his attacking instincts are probably better than the others. So it would be worth giving him a shot in that role on Sunday imo, he's not let us down at all this season and sure he'd give it his all.

if Arfield is out I reckon he'll play Coulibally again as we're away from home. However i think Halliday would offer more composure and goal threat in that position.

No harm in it I suppose. He is not the finished article but his heart is in its right place and he gets wired right in. Why not give him a try, I am all for experimenting.

At the very least he will shoot.

Andy's started in half of our League games this season, 9 games and a goal from left back.

He won't let us down wherever he plays.

Yep, this was my thinking too when I started the thread. I think people forget some of the goals he scored in his first season with us, some really good finishes from outside the box and a few decent runs into the box as well.

With the news today that Arfield is still carrying a niggle, I don't see anything to lose in giving Andy 60 mins on Sunday and bringing on Arfield if required. He'll bust a gut for the gaffer as he always does. But doubt it will happen and fully expect the same midfield 3 that finished on Wednesday.

Mind the peach he scored in Warburton's first game? The 6-2 at Easter Road. We need players who are willing and able to have a pop like that.

It's a good idea OP and one worth trying out, he's more of a goal threat than Jack, McCrorie and Coulibaly and he's more than able to dig in with the dirty work when needed too.

Coulibaly did not have a decent game last night. He is probably our worst player.

Going his performances in the last 2 months I would terminate his loan as well.

We have limited options with what to do in the midfield now. Might just need to go 4-4-2. Play Jack and McCrorie in the middle and hope we get goals from Lafferty and Morelos.
Defo go re-watch the game. He was good lastnight. Best performance of the season from him.

No he was slightly better than invisible in the second half, thats about it.

Watch the game again. See how many time he completely slows our play down. Watch how never lifts his head when running with the ball.

He lacks any sort of football intelligence and he is not the way forward our club. I would return him to Angers and bring back Doherty.
Jesus christ. There is a reason Docherty was punted on loan. Not yet good enough.

But i forgot you know more than our coaching staff.

He's played as an attacking midfielder prior to coming back to us. I'd certainly give it a go OP. He was never a holding midfielder before getting shoe horned into there by Warburton. I think some have got it mixed up.
He's not afraid to have a shot and can pass, It might just be what we need.

Tricky call,away from home against a team that have been playing decent of late-I'd be tempted to put McCrorie in front of the two CH's(particularly as one of then will probably be Worrall) and keep the rest of the side the same,at least until half time anyway then assess how it's going.
Maybe Middleton,Lafferty and Halliday could make an impact off the bench in the second half when the game's a bit more stretched.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of Worrall,I'd persevere with Katic and try to get him back to his early season form beside Goldson-if anything it should benefit us going forward as he's our player.

Coulibaly did not have a decent game last night. He is probably our worst player.

We have limited options with what to do in the midfield now. Might just need to go 4-4-2. Play Jack and McCrorie in the middle and hope we get goals from Lafferty and Morelos.
HAhahahahahaha

I don’t agree with you re Coulibaly so, I wouldn’t mind the team that finished against Hibs, start against St.Johnstone.
Sorry, one exception, Grezda for Middleton.

As per title. We know Arfield will be out on Sunday which limits our midfield options even further. Coulibaly had a decent game last night and covered ground well but not convinced he's got the skill set to play as the most advanced of our midfield 3. Mccrorie and Jack should be nailed on to start as both very impressive last night and kept us ticking over nicely but maybe give Halliday a try as the advanced midfielder?

Granted we've not really been using hin in midfield this season but we know Andy can strike a ball and reckon his attacking instincts are probably better than the others. So it would be worth giving him a shot in that role on Sunday imo, he's not let us down at all this season and sure he'd give it his all.
Would this not be shoehorning a player into not his natural position?

I'm quite sure Andy Halliday would do us a good turn wherever we played him and he has got a reputation for scoring from midfield so why not?
If as reported Arfield is fit then it's a non starter!

Can u imagine how grezda would feel if thisbwas to happen? He would be as well packing his bags.

Personally I'd put candeias in the arfield "runner" role and play grezda right side

Nope - don't Warburton him.

Waburton and to a lesser extent Pedro started to break football players when they had them doing things they thought players should do rather than that players were able to do.

Warburton played him as a sitting midfielder which he isn’t......the guy played left wing for years, he could easily play in that role no bother

Coulibaly played well. And no, we should get him permanently, not terminate his loan. Cancels out your post.

That's strange because both Gerrard and McAllister thought Coulibaly was excellent on Wednesday.

All our midfielders played well and Hibs barely got a kick in midfield .

You also mention 4-4-2.

Our manager has said countless tines that he hates the system.

He hated playing it because he said you were always outnumbered in midfield and you were giving the opposition a huge advantage.

I suggest you watch Wednesday night again, particularly Coulibaly and thankfully we won't be playing 4-4-2 anytime soon under Gerrard.

Back