Gerrard reaction

I'm not sure it was anything to do with formations ,it was more to do with lack of urgency , lack of desire and will to win .

Like it or not ,it is his job to instill that in his players and it has been lacking in too many games this season .

Agree with you about urgency, leadership etc mate, but that balance in midfield was wrong.
Who was gonna make a chance out of that three ? And who was gonna score out of them ?
Steven’s purchases in midfield haven’t given us a proper edge & a potency. If Arfikeds injured, suspended or off form, we create nowt unless Tav or Kent gets a good cross in.

I don’t think any manager could get a consistent performance out of most of these players.
Tav and Candieas are consistently inconsistent and have been since we signed them.
Where SG has messed up is with his defence. I have no doubt Katic is our best CH, but SG can’t see it.
We seem to be dictated by the players to playing 433 as Morelos covers up the inadequacies in the game of our midfield and our wide players.
We get in a lethal striker and not one of our midfield or wide players can make a pass for him.
As I said the hard work of Morelos covers up how bad they are.
Davis was slower than everyone on the park today , if he doesn’t get his act together pronto his career looks as though it is finished.
McCrorie looked like a converted CH playing defensive midfield and Kamara was the only competent player from middle to front.
However he isn’t the type to dig you out a win.

As for Barisic, Tavernier, Kent and Candieas their use of the ball was chronic, all have pace but their use of the ball wasn’t like professional footballers.
I question their balls and courage also to help the team when under pressure.

The last 3 seasons under different managers have all lacked character to defeat teams who play deep.

Most of these players aren’t good enough and we don’t have much money to get better players in. The 433 should be scrapped as soon as possible and however is manager needs to get players in who can play numerous systems and break down dour teams like this.
How this will happen I don’t know, if we can’t change it I do know they will keep on winning title after title.

Love Stevie and still fully behind him but he takes the blame for tht today with his chopping and changing. A midfield 3 tht hasn’t started for us the full season and a new comer who was prob our best player. Davis seems to be past it to by al accounts

Totally understand where you are coming from but it is not easy to fix it when so many players turn in such poor performances. Without Morelos we are a very average team.
Granted but there can never be any excuse for not turning up , this is far from the first time this season either.

Of course you can have an off day as a team but that's not what we are talking about here.

I think Gerrard will put things right but I think he needs to start laying on the line for some of those players.

He was spot on as usual. I suspect we will have more player change in close season than he originally expected. Too many not us to standard .So many sloppy passes today

Bit of a tricky one for him because he said in training they all seemed fired up for it yet they go out and perform like that. Not the first time they've let him down either.

Davis looks a shadow of the player he used to be. Barisic looks frightened to keep the ball at times. Don't want to criticise Defoe too much because obviously he's going to struggle if we punt aimless long balls to him.

IMO if Morelos is out, we need to play Lafferty and Defoe, or just Lafferty.

Agree with you about urgency, leadership etc mate, but that balance in midfield was wrong.
Who was gonna make a chance out of that three ? And who was gonna score out of them ?
Steven’s purchases in midfield haven’t given us a proper edge & a potency. If Arfikeds injured, suspended or off form, we create nowt unless Tav or Kent gets a good cross in.
Like I said mate, you can argue tactics and formations all day long but if you don't turn up it doesn't matter what system you play .

Gerrard needs to make sure the players turn up, that's the minimum requirement

He was spot on as usual. I suspect we will have more player change in close season than he originally expected. Too many not us to standard .So many sloppy passes today

We don’t have the money to keep doing this.

The manager would need to sell probably Tav and Morelos to help with a transfer budget.
The problem is apart from Katic and Goldson most of his other signings and loans have been pretty poor.
So even if we sell those two and get over 20 mill for both there is no guarantee that the team would be better based on the quality of his signings so far.
I have serious issues with the manager and his defensive knowledge , anyone who thinks Katic is a worse player than Goldson or Worrall I think doesn’t have a clue about how to play in defence.

Didn’t need to listen to him to know that mate, absolutely zero bottle or leadership in this side.

Better to put us out our misery now to be honest.

It’s not just about leadership and bottle, quality comes into too and we have very little!

Went out “buzzin”,just arrived back totally deflated,the gaffer says it in a oner,how many times has he said “it’s not Rangers,it’s just not good enough!
Don’t like complaining ,the red wine is getting it tonight.

Perspective is needed. Success this season for us is 2nd with a final and EL qualification. We almost got the KO stages of the EL and are all but certain to get at least 2nd. Gerrard has done a good job this year. All the stats about being only 3pts ahead of last season don't take into account the extra 14 games or whatever it is we have played in Europe or that many of the other sides are better than the opposition in the league last year (see Killie and Hearts). Today was just a small dose of reality after some great individual results.
We’ve been getting that dose of reality every four matches. I’m tired of perspective. We are not spending enough money to challenge. That’s not going to change soon.

Gerrard's as pissed off as we are.

Wednesday night is now make or break for the entire season, thank God Morelos will be back.
He can't legislate for that performance and he's cartaily not sent them out to play like that,clearly too many players going into hidingif the adrenaline isn't coursing through the veins coming out to a home crowd then they shouldn't be there.

Should have played 2 up front today,it was st Johnstone at Ibrox not fckn Barcelona, he picks the tactics, slow build up, constantly passing it sideways and backwards,the buck stops will Gerrard.
2 up front would be nice but I think S/G trusts lafferty as much as we do.

What a load of shite, 14 games unbeaten in Europe with a poor Rangers side in his first job. I actually don’t think he’s said much wrong in that interview and sounds like he’s had enough of a few players.

And the domestic record?

Can't keep on blaming the players. The bheggars are on course for back to back to.back trebles, but hey ho, we had a great run in Europe.

Are you trying to defend the way we set up today and performed?

At the very least he should be out there screaming at players to take a man on, drive into areas in and around the box. What good is waiting until your in the dressing room after the game?

We have players like Kent and Middleton who are very capable of taking a man or two on in different ways. Not once did I see him encouraging any players.

We will get nowhere spraying passes along the halfway line and back lethargically. Exactly what we did for large parts of the game. I’m frustrated at seeing him do nothing on the sidelines.

The way we set up yes

The way we performed no

No matter how Gerrard set up it was always going to a stuffy game and we should have enough quality to beat them at least 1-0 at home

I do think too many players were not at the races today versus the formation not working

The point about SG not being enough of a motivator is fair although you would think the players would have grasped the enormity of the situation

What a load of shite, 14 games unbeaten in Europe with a poor Rangers side in his first job. I actually don’t think he’s said much wrong in that interview and sounds like he’s had enough of a few players.

I agree.

I’m not having a go at Gerrard when I said earlier that you could hear “it’s over” in his post match comments. It was just an observation.

I think today we just saw him realising and accepting that the players he has at his disposal actually CAN’T deliver consistency and a title tilt.

The subs are woeful they hinder rather benefit us.
I fail to see how someone like Gerrard can watch Lafferty and think he's a player.
Team just pass pass pass and yet St Johnstone 3 touches from their goalie they ar lobbing ours, it's dire.
There has been to many dire performances and thankfully Celtic have not been good ars last 2 years or Wed be 20 plus points behind them.
You can't build a team around Morelos when he is so temperamental.

Maybe if he started Lafferty it would have been different.

He was on for 35 mins or so and had 3 decent efforts. He is direct, something we badly missed.

Just re- read your post and you make some decent points regarding the midfield , we were crying out for a creative midfielder with a goal in him but they don't grow on trees and January isn't the best month to get one in .

Hopefully will be addressed for next season , I also find it hard to pinpoint an actual style to our game at times .

Personally believe we chop and change far too much when not forced by injury or suspension , our squad isn't strong enough for it at the moment , in my opinion .

We’ve been getting that dose of reality every four matches. I’m tired of perspective. We are not spending enough money to challenge. That’s not going to change soon.

We are moving in the right direction under Gerrard and have seen improvements. If the team continues to improve in the summer window we can expect to put in a proper title challenge. It was always going to be extremely difficult to sustain one in Gerrard's first season. There is no magic wand.

What did you think would have counted as a successful first season?

That performance came after a full week on the training ground. Players just aint good enough.

You need several gifted players to break down a mob like that.

We normally have 1 or 2.

You can only pish with the c*ck you’ve got.

It’s not just about leadership and bottle, quality comes into too and we have very little!

It’s not all about that no but the lack of urgency today for a must win game was alarming.

We have no one driving the team on in those situations.

And the domestic record?

Can't keep on blaming the players. The bheggars are on course for back to back to.back trebles, but hey ho, we had a great run in Europe.
It’s the players who can’t do it constiently that’s the problem. How many players do we have that have consistently performed this season? Only Morelos, Goldson and McGregor but of course somehow that’s the managers fault.

I agree.

I’m not having a go at Gerrard when I said earlier that you could hear “it’s over” in his post match comments. It was just an observation.

I think today we just saw him realising and accepting that the players he has at his disposal actually CAN’T deliver consistency and a title tilt.
We have a set of players who cant handle the pressure particularly at Ibrox, we had a chance to go within 3 points of them with a win today and every single player bottled it apart from Wes ironically. So it’s just nonsense to blame the manager.

Its not the first time that something has really grated on me with Gerrard's interviews.

I've pointed this out before but I often feel like he almost washes his hands of responsibility & lumps it all on the players.

This garbage he says about our game plan & it not being carried out just comes across as him saying tactically I had the answer but the players didn't carry it out so don't look at me for blame.

His tactics were just as if not more responsible for the result today. I just hope he realises this & maybe shares the blame publically next time.

We have a set of players who cant handle the pressure particularly at Ibrox, we had a chance to go within 3 points of them with a win today and every single player bottled it apart from Wes ironically. So it’s just nonsense to blame the manager.

A managers job is to get the best out of his players. There are plenty of occassions this season where Gerrard hasn't done this

Our season could end on Wednesday, if there is no reaction then there never will be and they're all playing the wrong game

Last summer I kept waiting for us to sign a midfield playmaker who controls the pace of a game.
I am still fucking waiting and so is the team.
We will win %^*& all unless we get a player like this in.

Might be that we need to sell Morelos for the good of the rest of the team.

They guy we want for that position is going to cost us millions.

Sounds to me like his team have downed tools.
If he can’t motivate them then it’s a rebuild next season.
Bit of a tricky one for him because he said in training they all seemed fired up for it yet they go out and perform like that. Not the first time they've let him down either.

Davis looks a shadow of the player he used to be. Barisic looks frightened to keep the ball at times. Don't want to criticise Defoe too much because obviously he's going to struggle if we punt aimless long balls to him.

IMO if Morelos is out, we need to play Lafferty and Defoe, or just Lafferty.
First sentence there was what I picked up on also.
Have they downed tools knowing some of them won’t be there come the end of the season?
Wednesday will be telling I think.

Last edited:
Just re- read your post and you make some decent points regarding the midfield , we were crying out for a creative midfielder with a goal in him but they don't grow on trees and January isn't the best month to get one in .

Hopefully will be addressed for next season , I also find it hard to pinpoint an actual style to our game at times .

Personally believe we chop and change far too much when not forced by injury or suspension , our squad isn't strong enough for it at the moment , in my opinion .

We do chop & change too much mate. Agree.

I just feel this Guy we all want was needed at the August window & not just the last one. Me & a few others were talking about it back in July / August. I’d have gone for Young Ivanusec at Loko Zagreb personally. He’s made his debut for Croatia & has scored for them in his first two games. He likes running at defences & can also dig from outside the box too, a quality we don’t have.

Those who are saying he's a shite manager, enlighten us as to how you'd have broke down that team today with the exact same players as your disposal. Too many players had a shite game, and by the sounds of it Gerrard is sick of people bottling it.

And the domestic record?

How can we not blame the players? It's them who play the game.
If you think Gerrard sent the players out today to put in a gutless performance then you're deluded.

Reactions: LD5
Back