League's done for the season. Time to regroup for Phase 2 of the Gerrard era

SDF

That result today happens to often to even contemplate continuing with the title talk. We simply don't have it in us yet to sustain a full season challenge.

Today was absolutely dreadful. Kent and Kamara apart, I thought we were appalling outfield today. Constant long balls, constant overhit or underhit passes, constant hit and hope cross balls. It's simply not good enough. We started at a sluggish tempo and simply never got started.

The one thing I'm trying to tell myself is that the manager will now know who he can and can't rely on. Certain players were dreadful today for several reasons.

Barisic ? Talented without question but he simply doesn't have the mentality to play for us. He neither wants or takes any responsibility. Square balls inside or overhit crosses are the order of the day for him.

Davis ? He's either utterly done or hopelessly unfit. Either way we're fúcked and it's not good enough. If he continues this run of form then I'd have him nowhere near the team next season.

Candeias ? A tireless willing worker but his delivery is either sugar or shíŧe and far too often it's the latter. We need better than him in that position.

Positives ? Not many but I though Kamara had a fine debut. Strong in the tackle and very good passer of the ball. I thought he moved the ball at a zip that not many of our midfielders usually do.

A thoroughly rotten and miserable day. Wednesday is now absolutely massive. Lose that and the season is done.

I thought Kamara was good and Wes had a fine save from a header late on that I thought was in. Apart from that we were awful.

Reactions: BBB
It’s on the manager. Generally, his best players aren’t even his signings, and he’s setting that side up and training them, instructing them. The bit that terrifies me is that he’s making the same mistakes over, it shouldn’t be happening. There’s a lack of flexibility and a stubbornness that gives me painful memories from previous regimes. We can only celebrate the gaffers ‘name’ for so long.

If the scum hadn’t dropped a few levels from last season we’d have been left in the dust before Christmas.

I can’t understand the tactics of hoof the ball up to the smallest guy on the park! Fully agree with the comments on Davis, previous reputation should not be enough to have him in the team and I’d have him behind McRorie, Jack, Halliday, Arfield and Kamara in terms of a starting slot. He’s competition with Coulibally for a place on the bench at best.

Gerrard gets away with murder purely because of his name imo

He is as much to blame as anyone else for our failure to put up a legitimate challenge. It's February and id say he still doesn't know his 11

4 mill spunked on Barasic and grezda

Only 3 pts better than we were this stage last season

If he wasn't Steven Gerrard would he see a phase 2?

You’re missing a glaring fact that the tactics employed by the management team have been consistently archaic and defensive. It’s worked really well in Europe and against the poets but for these games we are horrific.

That and the players were not motivated one iota, no closing down.

Agree with the OP however it’s never been any different for me . I told everyone we were not winning the league this season and was told I’m “ negative “ amongst other nonsense .

There is no title race and never has been . We cannot win the league and today finally puts it to bed in the minds of even the most fairytale fantasist fan.

Let’s win the Scottish cup finish second and regroup for a proper challenge next year .

The manager is simply not learning from his previous mistakes and until he does we will win %^*& all . I just can't get my head around the defo signing why we don't play to his strengths only SG knows .

The idea Gerrard gets an easy ride is nonsense. He's had a fair amount of criticism this season and a lot of it deservedly so.

Question is, being a rookie manager, did people think he would go through a full season without making errors that would lead to such criticism?

Folk are just unwilling to ride the bumps.

The idea Gerrard gets an easy ride is nonsense. He's had a fair amount of criticism this season and a lot of it deservedly so.

Question is, being a rookie manager, did people think he would go through a full season without making errors that would lead to such criticism?

What's next season's excuses when the same results, performances, weaknesses and issues arise?

Gerrard probably won't have Morelos to pull him out the shitter.

His managerial attributes are poor and that doesn't change over night.

I get the tactics and formations argument , it plays a part .

But the truth is, we should be able to play whatever tactical game or formation we like at home to St Johnstone and expect a result .

Too many players, and not for the first time by any stretch , were still at home with their wives or girlfriends in front of the fire today .

That's just unacceptable at a club like Rangers and the day it becomes so is that day we should chuck it.

Gerrad needs to nip it in the bud once and for all .

Good post mate.
Too many of our support fall into your last line.

RE; Kamara.

FF had ridiculous expectations before a ball was kicked. Some thought he was this creative, attacking midfielder. He's not.

Calls for him to start after the draw at Rugby Park as Jack and Arfield weren't contributing in the final 3rd.

He was neat a tidy today, looked hungry, rarely wasted possession, created next to nothing. We had a midfield three who failed to create. It's been our problem all season.

And if we'd not dropped stupid points earlier (eg Dundee, Motherwell) we'd be top. That's how close it is.

They win tomorrow and it’s 9 points. There’s nothing close about that.

The point is, he’s riding on “not as bad as Warburton and Pedro”, but the reality is if he was up against the Celtic sides the other two faced, he’d have been left in the dust a long time too.

It’s not a defence of the previous two managers, but a criticism of the current one, whose best players aren’t really his signings, and who is starting to make the same mistakes with alarming regularity. I like Gerrard, he seems like a good guy and he says all the right things, but I’m sick of talk, it needs to be converted to results.

What's next season's excuses when the same results, performances, weaknesses and issues arise?

Gerrard probably won't have Morelos to pull him out the shitter.

His managerial attributes are poor and that doesn't change over night.

He might have the £15m we get for him to spend on improving the squad though. Money which we would never have gotten for Morelos until SG and his coaching team helped improve him this season.

RE; Kamara.

FF had ridiculous expectations before a ball was kicked. Some thought he was this creative, attacking midfielder. He's not.

Calls for him to start after the draw at Rugby Park as Jack and Arfield weren't contributing in the final 3rd.

He was neat a tidy today, looked hungry, rarely wasted possession, created next to nothing. We had a midfield three who failed to create. It's been our problem all season.

there was one point where he couldn't even roll a 10 yard pass to a team mate and the crowd almost let out a growl

if that was a fine debut we're in an even bigger mess than i feared

i'm sorry but all this talk of fine debuts

another midfielder content to sit and %^*& about offering nothing against pish spl also rans?

he's nowhere near what is NEEDED

That isn’t Kamara’s fault though.

I agree we have a seemingly endless list of midfielders who are very similar players, but that’s on Gerrard for signing them all.

Look at that lot across the city, they have real variation in the capabilities of their midfielders, that’s effective squad building, something which the manager has failed at addressing in 2 windows so far.

The big plus is that Gerrard has shown he he can something more from players. I.e. Big games this season and how he turned around some of Pedro’s players.

He might have the £15m we get for him to spend on improving the squad though. Money which we would never have gotten for Morelos until SG and his coaching team helped improve him this season.

How much were we offered previously?

You don't just need money to be a good football manager.

The problem is if he sells Morelos and Tav and gets over 20 mill I have worries in how it is spent.
Goldson and Katic I think are our only signings that have worked and then SG drops one of them for a poorer player.
None of the other players have been a success and yes I include Kent. He has had a few good games but has a very low assist record and rarely scores.

I’v said this a few times before,but I fear to move forward we will have to take a step back and sell Morelos first.
Provided the amount of money offered is substantial enough of course.

That isn’t Kamara’s fault though.

I agree we have a seemingly endless list of midfielders who are very similar players, but that’s on Gerrard for signing them all.

Look at that lot across the city, they have real variation in the capabilities of their midfielders, that’s effective squad building, something which the manager has failed at addressing in 2 windows so far.
Say what you like but the Orcs have two of the most dynamic midfielders in our league in Rogic and McGregor.

They are not world beaters but are light years ahead of anything we have in that dept.

Unfortunately we don’t appear to have the mentality to challenge and I’m including the sheep in that statement. Both teams had a chance to win at home and put pressure on the scum and both teams failed. The scum must be pissin themselves.
We lacked winners out there today and we don’t appear to have a match winner in the squad. How many shots did we have on target today???

There will be a few more results like this before the season is out, thankfully up until now they have always drew when we won or lost when we draw, making shit results like today work as a point gained.
The issue is being reliant on what they do rather than take the league by the scruff of the neck, the league probably is over but I also think they will drop points along the way and flutter hopes of a slight shot at the title.

Behave yourself!
You're showing yourself up as a guy that either knows the square root of fck all about football or an agitator!

I’m going overboard with the shite statement but he completely nondescript. As I said on another thread he did nothing, drove nothing. Passed a lovely ball backwards and people are creaming themselves. We need significantly more from a rangers midfielder but was his first game.

They have four players in double figures - Sinclair, Edouard, Forrest and Christie.

We've got two - Alfie and Tav. And most of Tav's have been dead ball situations.

Morelos has covered up the inadequacies of how poor our midfield and wide players are due to his hard work.
We will need to sell him this summer but there is no guarantees that we will improve the team, esp as the manager and DOF haven’t entirely been successful with our signings this year.

Good post mate.
Too many of our support fall into your last line.
Regardless of your thoughts on Gerrard he signed a 4 year deal in the summer. He's going nowhere.

Be honest with yourself would be my advice, don't give it the level headed approach pre-season when you're really expecting the title and nothing else - otherwise you'll be in for a season filled with anger and frustration.

They have four players in double figures - Sinclair, Edouard, Forrest and Christie.

We've got two - Alfie and Tav. And most of Tav's have been dead ball situations.

They've got another three on six goals. We've got one.

That’s down to their tactics and style play and what they encouraged to do on park aggressively moving forward and ball retention as much as anything. Our hoof the ball or long cross is bullshit stuff.

That result today happens to often to even contemplate continuing with the title talk. We simply don't have it in us yet to sustain a full season challenge.

Today was absolutely dreadful. Kent and Kamara apart, I thought we were appalling outfield today. Constant long balls, constant overhit or underhit passes, constant hit and hope cross balls. It's simply not good enough. We started at a sluggish tempo and simply never got started.

The one thing I'm trying to tell myself is that the manager will now know who he can and can't rely on. Certain players were dreadful today for several reasons.

Barisic ? Talented without question but he simply doesn't have the mentality to play for us. He neither wants or takes any responsibility. Square balls inside or overhit crosses are the order of the day for him.

Davis ? He's either utterly done or hopelessly unfit. Either way we're fúcked and it's not good enough. If he continues this run of form then I'd have him nowhere near the team next season.

Candeias ? A tireless willing worker but his delivery is either sugar or shíŧe and far too often it's the latter. We need better than him in that position.

Positives ? Not many but I though Kamara had a fine debut. Strong in the tackle and very good passer of the ball. I thought he moved the ball at a zip that not many of our midfielders usually do.

A thoroughly rotten and miserable day. Wednesday is now absolutely massive. Lose that and the season is done.
Post of the day potentially. Honesty and not blinkered optimism is what we need. All of that is spot on.

It's not done til 6pm tomorrow.

I know everyone wants to be first into the crywank, but the filth need to go to a place they haven't won since Clarke was manager there.

If they lose it's 5 points. If they draw it's the same gap. If they win we're cooked and you can post all the crywanking stuff you like. And I'll be in the Lounge talking about music or shaving your scrotum.

Gerrard gets away with murder purely because of his name imo

He is as much to blame as anyone else for our failure to put up a legitimate challenge. It's February and id say he still doesn't know his 11

4 mill spunked on Barasic and grezda

Only 3 pts better than we were this stage last season

If he wasn't Steven Gerrard would he see a phase 2?

I agree he gets extra leeway because of who he is. We can’t change manager again at this stage though, we have no choice but now to run with it for another season anyway. The count down to their ten though is going to intensify the pressure from the norm.

On the signings, Barisic and Grezda have been huge disappointments thus far. They seem to be this years Mexicans, and we need a lot more from not just them, but given the money spent on them questions need asked.

Morelos has covered up the inadequacies of how poor our midfield and wide players are due to his hard work.
We will need to sell him this summer but there is no guarantees that we will improve the team, esp as the manager and DOF haven’t entirely been successful with our signings this year.

When we sell Morelos in the summer we better have some player lined up to replace him because the rest of the team are mostly average to awful.

Back