League's done for the season. Time to regroup for Phase 2 of the Gerrard era

I’m going overboard with the shite statement but he completely nondescript. As I said on another thread he did nothing, drove nothing. Passed a lovely ball backwards and people are creaming themselves. We need significantly more from a rangers midfielder but was his first game.
At least you've got the good grace to admit you're going overboard in your opinion!
I gave my ticket to my son today who's only in the country for a couple of weeks and I watched the game on RTV.
I thought Kamara had a great game, especially as it was his debut and I wasn't in the least surprised that Tom Millar, Peter Lovenkrands and Jamie Murphy all unanimously named him as MOTM.
How you can say he was "shite" is totally beyond me.....sorry!

When we sell Morelos in the summer we better have some player lined up to replace him because the rest of the team are mostly average to awful.
I totally agree. I believe we have 2 good CHs but SG refuses to play 1 of them. Tav, Candieas and others like Jack are either too inconsistent or don’t offer enough.
Not one of our midfield is good enough. McCrorie and Kamara are good squad players, but we have no guile , skill, creativity or ability to playmake.

Our strikers apart from Morelos can’t play in this dreadful 433 and not one of our wide players scores enough like Celtic main 3 wide players do.

The writing was on the wall after the Kilmarnock game. Having done so well to get a result against the mentally challengeds and then let that leavel of performance slip so soon after is not the form of champions im afraid.

Truth be told had the scum kept up their usual consistency this season we wouldn't even been close at the new year. It's gone now so there's no point in deluding ourselves, it was probably stretching reality to believe Gerrard could come in and overcome them in one season anyway.

As for the management there has to be a lot of self scrutiny there because today's opponents should be taken care of at home without too much fuss even taking into account our absentees. He's been here long enough to work out a way past teams like St johnstone.

We have no choice though, we have to give him time and hope he's learned a lot of valuable lessons that will serve us well in season two. Keep the faith bears, it's what we do.

I agree he gets extra leeway because of who he is. We can’t change manager again at this stage though, we have no choice but now to run with it for another season anyway. The count down to their ten though is going to intensify the pressure from the norm.

On the signings, Barisic and Grezda have been huge disappointments thus far. They seem to be this years Mexicans, and we need a lot more from not just them, but given the money spent on them questions need asked.
All managers make mistakes in the transfer market.
Even SAF!
Most posters get it wrong as well when the tell us player x is a superstar and player y is a dud.
Sometimes after one game and then say nothing when their infallibility is proven wrong some time later.
As for Grezda and Barisic, could we wait a wee bit longer before writing them off?
It would appear, well there is evidence, that these two are quality players.

Gerrard gets away with murder purely because of his name imo

He is as much to blame as anyone else for our failure to put up a legitimate challenge. It's February and id say he still doesn't know his 11

4 mill spunked on Barasic and grezda

Only 3 pts better than we were this stage last season

If he wasn't Steven Gerrard would he see a phase 2?

that's a scary statistic.

I have got to agree with you.

It’s like Groundhog Day every season, until we manage to get big money investment we will always be struggling to play catch up to the yahoos!

nothing changes until that happens.
the idea that a rookie manager with a team half full of loan signings was going to mount a serious challenge was,.....optimistic, or delusional!
until there is significant increase in quality players with significant spending to buy them, we are going nowhere.
looking at the squad we have we are facing a major re build again next season, the loan signings will be gone- no doubt more can be found!!!! but unless we have better players Groundhog Day will continue

OP, I agree this team isn't good enough to win the league this year. It hit me at full time that we're not going on a run of wins.

I've not got time to single out posts but a lot of posters on this thread's overreaction to a disappointing result match their overinflated expectations of the level of players we should be buying or how quickly they should make an impact.

It's not boom or bust, although I know people get emotional.

He is as much to blame as anyone else for our failure to put up a legitimate challenge. It's February and id say he still doesn't know his 11

Of course we wouldnt, his ability as a manager at this stage of his career is poor. Tacticaly naive and unwilling or anable to see what we all see on matchday.
I know it wont sit well because the people that put their all into beleiving he was coming to transform us a la Souness wont want to admit it but he has been poor

That result today happens to often to even contemplate continuing with the title talk. We simply don't have it in us yet to sustain a full season challenge.

Today was absolutely dreadful. Kent and Kamara apart, I thought we were appalling outfield today. Constant long balls, constant overhit or underhit passes, constant hit and hope cross balls. It's simply not good enough. We started at a sluggish tempo and simply never got started.

The one thing I'm trying to tell myself is that the manager will now know who he can and can't rely on. Certain players were dreadful today for several reasons.

Barisic ? Talented without question but he simply doesn't have the mentality to play for us. He neither wants or takes any responsibility. Square balls inside or overhit crosses are the order of the day for him.

Davis ? He's either utterly done or hopelessly unfit. Either way we're fúcked and it's not good enough. If he continues this run of form then I'd have him nowhere near the team next season.

Candeias ? A tireless willing worker but his delivery is either sugar or shíŧe and far too often it's the latter. We need better than him in that position.

Positives ? Not many but I though Kamara had a fine debut. Strong in the tackle and very good passer of the ball. I thought he moved the ball at a zip that not many of our midfielders usually do.

A thoroughly rotten and miserable day. Wednesday is now absolutely massive. Lose that and the season is done.
I am sick of regrouping long before the season ends. It s a yearly ritual.

Unless the manager realises you play a system to suit the players available and don't shoehorn them into a system they aren't suited there will be no Gerrard era.

Of course we wouldnt, his ability as a manager at this stage of his career is poor. Tacticaly naive and unwilling or anable to see what we all see on matchday.
I know it wont sit well because the people that put their all into beleiving he was coming to transform us a la Souness wont want to admit it but he has been poor

No reasonable individual was likening this to Souness. The differences are obvious.

Taking SG on his own, he hasn't been poor. There's been a marked improvement along with the mistakes that all managers make.

If we keep getting rid of managers after phase 1 then there will never be any progress

"I agree he gets extra leeway because of who he is"

Sorry but that is ridiculous. If it looks like he is not the right person he goes.
His signings and tactics are increasingly looking like he is not the right person.

We are too big a club to keep someone in a job solely because of who they are.

He fails to win a trophy he should go.

Sorry, his ability at what stage of his career? 7 fucking MONTHS into it?!

During which he's had us competing in Europe til the final group game when most of us expected Round 2 of the qualifiers; and comprehensively beat the mentally challengeds for the first time in about 15 games? We're currently 5 points off them.

Think about what you're saying ffs man.

Sorry but that is ridiculous. If it looks like he is not the right person he goes.
His signings and tactics are increasingly looking like he is not the right person.

If he fails to win a trophy this season he should go?

Honest to god man. This fucking place after a poor result. Brain damage.

At least you've got the good grace to admit you're going overboard in your opinion!
I gave my ticket to my son today who's only in the country for a couple of weeks and I watched the game on RTV.
I thought Kamara had a great game, especially as it was his debut and I wasn't in the least surprised that Tom Millar, Peter Lovenkrands and Jamie Murphy all unanimously named him as MOTM.
How you can say he was "shite" is totally beyond me.....sorry!

Wes was motm, he got grace for his debut. I think he’s a good player, but today he was a complete non entity. You could get a thousand players to do the job he did at the drop of a hat. We need way way more from a rangers midfielder. He was a non entity, as I said had some really tidy back passes though.

Sorry, his ability at what stage of his career? 7 fucking MONTHS into it?!

During which he's had us competing in Europe til the final group game when most of us expected Round 2 of the qualifiers; and comprehensively beat the mentally challengeds for the first time in about 15 games?

Think about what you're saying ffs man.

We have also dropped 9 points at home against teams who aren’t Celtic and our away form in the league has been pretty poor.

He’s just fucking started management. This ain’t like souness who had the greatest manager we’ve ever had calling the shots behind the scenes. He’s learning on the job.

We have also dropped 9 points at home against teams who aren’t Celtic and our away form in the league has been pretty poor.

We have or had the best away record in the league at least up until a game or two ago.

And?

The guy's never managed before. He inherited a squad that got papped out of Europe by taxi drivers from Luxembourg.

The only thing I know for certain right now is that if we change our manager again they'll win their "10 in a row". Absolute guarantee.

Last edited:
Wes was motm, he got grace for his debut. I think he’s a good player, but today he was a complete non entity. You could get a thousand players to do the job he did at the drop of a hat. We need way way more from a rangers midfielder. He was a non entity, as I said had some really tidy back passes though.

Wes was not MOTM FFS. One save does not make you MOTM.

If truth be told, today wasn’t much different from many games this season, save that Morelos wasn’t available to bail us out today (well done Compliance Officer by the way, you have done the bidding of your lords and masters just in case we got close enough to worry Celtic). We had lots of the ball and knocked it about, but to no great effect. We lack a cutting edge or cutting edges. Kent and Morelos aside, are there any difference makers in our front 6 (whatever combination we put out)? There are just too many guys who are decent enough players but are unfortunately a notch or two below what we need. That doesn’t mean we need to replace them all; we can win a league with some of them in the team and squad. But, somehow, we need a couple more of better quality. And that is before we even address how we replace Morelos if he leaves. Had Morelos played today then I think we win that game by a couple of goal margin. But as things stand there is a sameness to the way we play. We are not particularly difficult to play against. For probably 8 or 9 teams the game plan against us writes itself - get 9 or 10 men behind the ball, work hard, stay disciplined and you have half a chance of getting a result.

If you can't see there's a really good player in there then I'm afraid there's no help I can offer you.

Pure and simple, we lack overall quality.Without Alfie we just don't have that bit extra that's needed to be challenging for the title.

Wes was not MOTM FFS. One save does not make you MOTM.

It does when it means dropping all three points otherwise and not one outfield player stood up and took some responsibility. Mccrorie tried to get out his comfort zone and at least drive forward from defence meanwhile Kamara was doing lovely pirouettes backwards that’s had everyone creaming themselves and Davis was doing his best Davis impression. Kent at least tried but the rest can get in the bin tonight.

If you can't see there's a really good player in there then I'm afraid there's no help I can offer you.

Eh, did you actually read my feckin post or are you to far up your arse to see what I said? It’s hard dealing with this level of stupidity

We can be frustrating at times but anyone who knows football knows that it's not easy to break teams down when they sit with 10 men behind the ball. Just look at some of our performances under Walter Smith in Europe - guys like Messi and Ronaldinho struggled.

Our biggest problem seems to be that we never just have 1 or 2 players having an off game, it tends to be the full 11.

Depressing considering how fired up everyone was after beating Celtic.

Too many players, and not for the first time by any stretch , were still at home with their wives or girlfriends in front of the fire today .
That's just unacceptable at a club like Rangers and the day it becomes so is that day we should chuck it.
Gerrad needs to nip it in the bud once and for all .

This is a great post. One of the few times this season we have had a full week to prepare and we come out with the most lethargic display of the season. It's the players mentality and desire that is in question (for the few that have the required quality). They appear happy to have clinched second place.

Let’s not forget that Gerrard inherited a rump of players that were obviously not up to the job but whom he’s had to rely on. Case in point Daniel Candeis. He HAD to score that chance in the second half. Forget everything else, this is what wins these games - a calm, clinical finish under pressure. For all his laudable effort DC consistently fails in these situations.

The idea Gerrard gets an easy ride is nonsense. He's had a fair amount of criticism this season and a lot of it deservedly so.

Question is, being a rookie manager, did people think he would go through a full season without making errors that would lead to such criticism?

Folk are just unwilling to ride the bumps.

Agree. Despite this forum being almost unanimous in its agreement when SG was appointed that we’d need to ride the bumps.

Back