Who is actually a protestant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian in the dictionary says Catholic therefore I am protestant Catholic. Not ruled by the church of Rome .

Funnily enough I was at a christening in a Protestant church a while back and I could swear I heard the minister say something like “ by the catholic word of god” or similar . I did a double take but forgot to ask around to see if anyone else heard it . Maybe what you’ve said explains it .

I was christened COS but I basically don’t see myself as being religious in any way I just believe in good people and that we do go somewhere once we pass away , not to any god or heaven but to somewhere spiritual . Can’t quite explain it .

I am protestant.

I am also a loyalist and a unionist.

I despise Irish republicanism in this country as I do Scottish nationalism. I despise the teachings and behaviour of the catholic church.

I don't hate Catholics.

The only people who seem to be unable to disassociate this are republican supporting Catholics in Scotland. It's absolutely pathetic.

I couldn't give a fck if a rock praising Martian was scoring for us, ive never once stopped to think who us who when they sign and play for us

The Jews do it best. To me Judaism is a religion but not to most Jews. I have known agnostic and atheist Jews but they all identify as Jewish.

We need to start embracing the fact that we might not be religious but we are culturally Protestant.
Your first sentance sums it up. Anyone crosses them they fuckin annihilate them! They stand as one!

Honestly think the majority of our support would identify as atheists.

Not so sure mate.

Most of the bears I know would identify themselves as CoS.

Some are regular church attenders, some like myself occasional and some only weddings, funerals and christenings, but still class themselves as CoS if asked.

How many of the perpetually offended are true Catholics?.

How many are true to their religious teachings?

Or is it just a vehicle for hate, division and bitterness for many???

The amount I know who basically do as they please, say as they please and act as they please yet seem to get high and mighty now and then and offended by us is ridiculous.

So much so I've stopped following many so called mates on social media such is their hypocrisy. Good guys most of the time, a few have done me many a good turn but the bitter mask slips all too often and eventually I notice and switch them off so I can't see their ramblings of blinkered pish any longer.

The Jews do it best. To me Judaism is a religion but not to most Jews. I have known agnostic and atheist Jews but they all identify as Jewish.

We need to start embracing the fact that we might not be religious but we are culturally Protestant.
The Jews are also a proper race. They have distinct genetic markers that identify jewish people.
I remember seeing something on TV about research into Jewish DNA. The shocker of a discovery they made was Palestinians are actually Jewish too! They speculated today's Palestinians descend from Jews that didn't leave Israel when it was conquered way back in antiquity. Back then their choice was to convert to Islam or die, so they converted. Imagine what the antisemitic beasts will make of it!

I think the root of the ops complained, is the blatant demonisation of our support. The root of that demonisation is not the Catholic Church, but the political elect in Scotland, that demonise are club and will continue to demonise our support, as long as they are empowered to do so. So maybe the thread title should not be ‘Who actually is a Protestant’, but Who actually voted for the SNP.

As a boy I was in BB even though my family home wasn’t really religious. My dad was in OO and I’m sure he had a bible. I’ve been to church around 10 times in my life and read probably half a bible. I’m now 40 don’t do religion at all but I still see myself as Protestant
This doesn't make sense to me mate. Protestants are a sect of Christianity and to be one requires practising, or believing in, a Protestant faith. Being a protestant is also being a Christian.
I'm an atheist. If I'm wrong I'm screwed.:))

I am most certainly culturally Protestant.
Every facet of my British identity and culture has been crafted by the Protestantism that shaped our nation and in particular that free thinking equality seeking Presbyterianism that has had so much influence throughout the English speaking world.
Protestantism made our societies they made our countries and they made them so special that they are the countries that most Catholics wishing to emigrate have always traditionally sought to go and live in.

But I don't believe in God.

If you don't believe in God, you are a cultural secularist, same as me. If you're an atheist, as you claim, you have no right to be identifying with any religious group, as our view of the world is at odds. Theists believe there is some form of omnipotent being which created humanity and which provides man's ethical purpose. This is true of all religions at all times. If, on the other hand, you believe man is a a member of the animal species, created by scientific forces and whose morality is innate and devoid of a creator, then you're an athiest.

Sounds like you are hedging your bets. If you don't believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, you should be rejecting religion completely, particualrly those who use it as a cover to spread hatred. You can't be half in and half out; you are a theist or you aren't; a believer in the divine or not.

I reject it all completely, as that's the logical conclusion of my philosophy. Don't be shy, be proud to reject all religion, with all its superstitious hang ups. Protestants and Catholics alike have done terrible things in the name of their supernatural friends; be culturally free of their grasp!

This doesn't make sense to me mate. Protestants are a sect of Christianity and to be one requires practising, or believing in, a Protestant faith. Being a protestant is also being a Christian.
Sola fide, yo.

Im not sure you stop being Protestant just because you don’t practice anymore

Brought up in the Free Church....and as a child hated every feckin second of it. I still picked up enough of a guilt complex about not going to church on a Sunday that it took me until I had left home and was about 19-20 before I was able to say honestly I was over it. I can see how folks get stuck in a rut and I know regular church attendees who'd rather be at home, on the golf course or in the pub.
I refused to have my kids christened and they have grown up just fine. Religion in the big scheme of things has been used by many governments as a form of crowd control, acting hand in hand with the churches, the RC lot in particular who have sided with govts around the world to direct voting choice.
In short, offers nothing but trouble, wars even, and in Scotland has been used as a stick to beat us for all of my 63 years. However. as a support we are our own worst enemy. Each to their own belief system but for the sake of the Club we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. We all know the term 19th Century Terrorist is not religious but the thought police say it is. Therefore we need to box clever bears. Stop singing it....it does us no favours whatsoever. The BBC amongst others are clamouring for 'strict liability' and you just know who will be the first club the thew history of world football to be deducted points.

The writing is on the wall (to use a biblical example). Our Rangers identity should be as the worlds most successful club, not as a religious flag bearer. If you want religion go to church, if you want football, come to Ibrox.

What some people don’t understand is that you can hate the Catholic Church and at the same time not hate Catholics.

It’s the institution not the followers that I detest.

This is where I am UC.

I guess I’d call myself a ‘Protestant Atheist’ nowadays ( :D ) and while I will never judge people on their religion, I will on their behaviour.

On this basis, I detest both Celtic & the Catholic Church.

We should all get involved again, with the Church of Scotland. My opinion only. Atheist or not. To preserve our culture and maintain majority. Also every one vote Scottish conservative.

As a boy I was in BB even though my family home wasn’t really religious. My dad was in OO and I’m sure he had a bible. I’ve been to church around 10 times in my life and read probably half a bible. I’m now 40 don’t do religion at all but I still see myself as Protestant

Almost the same, baptised CoS, BB, BB bible class (somewhere to go with mates on a Sunday morn) Masons, church visits and so on. But I have never believed, it was purely social.
Still think of myself as a proddy though.

Like, a card carrying full on member of the church of Scotland with a belief in a Christian god? I know there will be many on the forum, but hear me out.

For me (an agnostic in all honesty), I don't consider myself to have a faith. Yea my birth certificate will say church of Scotland at the behest of my parents, but I've not entered a church (bar weddings etc) since I was 5, and I went to a non denominational school, despite some attempts to call these 'proddie schools' in my youth.

Indeed, it would seem that because im white and not a catholic, the default in Scotland is to assume I am therefore a protestant. I've always found that strange, especially where football is concerned, as it tends to simplify the debate and the narrative.

I don't hate Catholics, I've got friends, I have family, I've had lovers, that are catholic. I don't really like Celtic though, the football club. I don't like them not because they're catholic, but because im a rangers fan. I've been indoctrinated a rangers fan, but that's ok, because it is only football, its never been protestant v catholic for me, it's just been about MY football team.

So why do we all get lumped in as one? I've always thought and still believe that the rangers support is a very broad religious make up of protestant, catholic (there are some), Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, atheists and agnostics, certainly more so than the side from the east end who seem to operate a hive mentality

When it comes to the current situation though the whole support is demonised as religiously motivated, when I strongly suspect that's not the case, and it suits a media agenda set by whom im not so sure (although I can guess)

I think it makes it easier for the media to label us sectarian if the polarise opinion and cause the assumption that every single supporter is a religious nut job (you are a rangers fan therefore you are a protestant therefore you hate catholics - I don't think they're mutually exclusive)

It's a strange country.

Sorry for that long post I've not even started drinking yet (perhaps I should!)
Lovers you say !! Patrick or Sean doesn’t look good on your arm mate do I wouldn’t get one

Like, a card carrying full on member of the church of Scotland with a belief in a Christian god? I know there will be many on the forum, but hear me out.

For me (an agnostic in all honesty), I don't consider myself to have a faith. Yea my birth certificate will say church of Scotland at the behest of my parents, but I've not entered a church (bar weddings etc) since I was 5, and I went to a non denominational school, despite some attempts to call these 'proddie schools' in my youth.

Indeed, it would seem that because im white and not a catholic, the default in Scotland is to assume I am therefore a protestant. I've always found that strange, especially where football is concerned, as it tends to simplify the debate and the narrative.

I don't hate Catholics, I've got friends, I have family, I've had lovers, that are catholic. I don't really like Celtic though, the football club. I don't like them not because they're catholic, but because im a rangers fan. I've been indoctrinated a rangers fan, but that's ok, because it is only football, its never been protestant v catholic for me, it's just been about MY football team.

So why do we all get lumped in as one? I've always thought and still believe that the rangers support is a very broad religious make up of protestant, catholic (there are some), Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, atheists and agnostics, certainly more so than the side from the east end who seem to operate a hive mentality

When it comes to the current situation though the whole support is demonised as religiously motivated, when I strongly suspect that's not the case, and it suits a media agenda set by whom im not so sure (although I can guess)

I think it makes it easier for the media to label us sectarian if the polarise opinion and cause the assumption that every single supporter is a religious nut job (you are a rangers fan therefore you are a protestant therefore you hate catholics - I don't think they're mutually exclusive)

It's a strange country.

Sorry for that long post I've not even started drinking yet (perhaps I should!)

Not me or anyone I know. Notvthat representitive

My best pals a Catholic.

We palled about since primary, the secondary school kicks in and he's sent to a catholic high school.

I used to sit on the church steps on a Sunday awaiting him coming out of mass so we could go and play football.

Didn't bother me then and doesn't bother me now. I don't hate catholics at all, i hate Celtic fans with a passion. Nothing to do with sectarianism for me, i just hate those cu nts and the green and grey with a passion.

My pal will happily admit the best sex he ever had was with the priest.

He jokes when he says this before anyone shits their breeks.

What some people don’t understand is that you can hate the Catholic Church and at the same time not hate Catholics.

It’s the institution not the followers that I detest.
Im an atheist, my other half is catholic. Im a unionist shes not. She knows fine well id rather shoot myself in the face than trust the catholic church as an institution but i dont hate the followers. Like most religions catholics are separated and brainwashed from an early age, even the ones who dont believe still have catholic guilt many years later

Im not sure you stop being Protestant just because you don’t practice anymore[/Q
Brought up in the Free Church....and as a child hated every feckin second of it. I still picked up enough of a guilt complex about not going to church on a Sunday that it took me until I had left home and was about 19-20 before I was able to say honestly I was over it. I can see how folks get stuck in a rut and I know regular church attendees who'd rather be at home, on the golf course or in the pub.
I refused to have my kids christened and they have grown up just fine. Religion in the big scheme of things has been used by many governments as a form of crowd control, acting hand in hand with the churches, the RC lot in particular who have sided with govts around the world to direct voting choice.
In short, offers nothing but trouble, wars even, and in Scotland has been used as a stick to beat us for all of my 63 years. However. as a support we are our own worst enemy. Each to their own belief system but for the sake of the Club we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. We all know the term 19th Century Terrorist is not religious but the thought police say it is. Therefore we need to box clever bears. Stop singing it....it does us no favours whatsoever. The BBC amongst others are clamouring for 'strict liability' and you just know who will be the first club the thew history of world football to be deducted points.

The writing is on the wall (to use a biblical example). Our Rangers identity should be as the worlds most successful club, not as a religious flag bearer. If you want religion go to church, if you want football, come to Ibrox.
Great post. More people have been killed in the name of religion, and more problems caused, than anything else in human history. To me it's a con: a method of social control, designed to make the gullible afraid.

Everyone has a right to believe in the supernatural if they wish, but they have no right to hide behind it, in order to spread hatred and fear.

If you don't believe in God, you are a cultural secularist, same as me. If you're an atheist, as you claim, you have no right to be identifying with any religious group, as our view of the world is at odds. Theists believe there is some form of omnipotent being which created humanity and which provides man's ethical purpose. This is true of all religions at all times. If, on the other hand, you believe man is a a member of the animal species, created by scientific forces and whose morality is innate and devoid of a creator, then you're an athiest.

Sounds like you are hedging your bets. If you don't believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, you should be rejecting religion completely, particualrly those who use it as a cover to spread hatred. You can't be half in and half out; you are a theist or you aren't; a believer in the divine or not.

I reject it all completely, as that's the logical conclusion of my philosophy. Don't be shy, be proud to reject all religion, with all its superstitious hang ups. Protestants and Catholics alike have done terrible things in the name of their supernatural friends; be culturally free of their grasp!
Great post, well articulated.

The Jews are also a proper race. They have distinct genetic markers that identify jewish people.
I remember seeing something on TV about research into Jewish DNA. The shocker of a discovery they made was Palestinians are actually Jewish too! They speculated today's Palestinians descend from Jews that didn't leave Israel when it was conquered way back in antiquity. Back then their choice was to convert to Islam or die, so they converted. Imagine what the antisemitic beasts will make of it!

I don't want to take the thread off topic but the Jewish race /religion question is still open to debate.

Here is a US judge's ruling from last year, as one example.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...race-jewish-people-can-be-targeted-ncna896806

I am sorry but I think you don't understand why the UK is culturally Protestant/Christian.
Perhaps a bit of time spent looking at a history book may help.

But thanks for caring.

I am an atheist, but I’m a Protestant athiest in that I was brought up in a Protestant society, never attended church as a kid neither did my parents, my grampa was an elder and attended the synod annually.
I have nothing against catholic’s and have a couple of friends who go that way, but I disapprove of Catholicism as it is about control, I hold the same opinion on Islam. Take away the god part and it is a control method.

I got slated on here many years ago for suggesting this.
For the record, I totally agree with you

I am sorry but I think you don't understand why the UK is culturally Protestant/Christian.

But thanks for caring.

Exactly.

I think there's many a poster lining up to prove their atheistic credentials without really being cogniscant of the impact that Christianity has on their daily lives.

But thanks for caring.
I understand completely. It's akin to saying you always vote Conservative but are a cultural socialist. It's an intellectual nonsense. You don't believe in God but align with a particular religious strand? It's only yourself you're lying to, mate. That's your decision, but I can't take it seriously, sorry. Reminds me of gay men who marry and have kids, in the hope it will 'cure' them.

I'm a Christian. I go to church nearly every week. Have done for years. I read the whole Bible last year for a challenge and there are bits that are weird and not exactly a good read. I can live with that
however.

I have catholic neighbours and colleagues and I would say that we are good friends. But they are not green and white mono-wardrobes, or graffiti artists nor do they mock the Ibrox Disaster.

Those are the type that I can't stand. And. as for the paedos and child abusers - they deserve to rot in jail. (I'm reading an excellent book about the Holocaust just now and Pius XII and his pals don't come out of that at all well either!)

I have no affiliation to the Orange Order. In fact I don't think I even know anyone who's a member. Yet, they class us all as the same.

I just wish that those who don't know all the true facts would just let us get on with supporting our team.
Those clean living RC neighbour's of yours....
Try condemning the ira and watch them turn on you .
They're all the same

Great post. More people have been killed in the name of religion, and more problems caused, than anything else in human history. To me it's a con: a method of social control, designed to make the gullible afraid.

Everyone has a right to believe in the supernatural if they wish, but they have no right to hide behind it, in order to spread hatred and fear.

This is factually incorrect. The vast amount of wars are fought over wealth and politics, and the death toll from the Marxist driven wars of the 20th century the Russian and Chinese revolutions dwarfs the body count of any religious conflicts. It’s a vastly oversimplified George Carlin misquote. It may be funny but it is miles from fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1400766/amp

Is claiming to be culturally protestant not a bit like the mhanky muppet interviewed on tv a few years back outside the Piggery who said he wasn't a Roman Catholic, just a catholic ?

I’m not. I don’t believe in any god or other higher being. I won’t criticise anyone that does, as its each to their own for me. I can’t really grasp the concept of a spirit impregnating a woman, that’s my take on the birth of Christ. Again, that’s just my view.

My gran was a Protestant and my grandad a Roman Catholic, until he pssed two years back. My gran concerted to RC about eight years ago, because her church in Govan merged with two others, and they didn’t use her building. Seemed a bit farcical to me. Love her to bits cause she’s my gran but just a bit fucking mental how you can switch so quickly.

This is factually incorrect. The vast amount of wars are fought over wealth and politics, and the death toll from the Marxist driven wars of the 20th century the Russian and Chinese revolutions dwarfs the body count of any religious conflicts. It’s a vastly oversimplified George Carlin misquote. It may be funny but it is miles from fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1400766/amp
I shall accept your word, for the sake of argument. Fact remains millions of people have died in the name of something for which there is no proof of its existence. That is a unique phenomonen in human history.

Those clean living RC neighbour's of yours....
Try condemning the ira and watch them turn on you .
They're all the same

Just one neighbour. Across the road. An old devout lady. She at least goes to her church every week unlike many of that mhob who don't even bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back