How much does not being able to sell beer cost Rangers a year?

The answer to this isn't really have more money to spend on a season ticket is it? Plus there must be an element of supply and demand in Bar72. Opening up an equivalent in the Copland, Club Deck and Main Stand is a decent enough option though.
yeah decent idea more money the club can make to be honest the better for all.

It’s not as though peope don’t still attend the games drunk anyway. Guy I sat next to in the Copland rear (and one who sat behind me) showed up to every game absolutely plastered, I had that seat from when I was 11 till about 21 and I can only remember one occasion where one of them turned up sober (I remember because me and my dad discussed it afterwards, due to the fact it was such an event).

Sadly, Scottish football is not grown up enough to allow supporters to have a beer in the ground.

People who want to drink, get drunk and misbehave do so at the minute, they just do it outside the ground, If you sell just beer and and only do it an hour before kick off, and it's a fiver a pint, it won't cause mayhem,,, usually the ones causing trouble have been drinking bucky and snorting coke

I don't like being told that I can't drink alcohol at a football game because the worst of society spoil it.

If we applied the same logic, we couldn't have night clubs, gigs and festivals.

I don't like it either but it doesn't change the fact football supporters can't be trusted to behave themselves

I had sat in my seat for the match beggining ( Killie ) and two gents turned up pished 5 mins late ( everybody is up in the row letting them in ) they were stinking of drink and then one of them pulls out a hip flask ,the rest of the game there were up and down for the toilet and then left with 7 mins to go ,a couple of pain in the fu cking arses that id happily never see back ,drink ??? no way ,not a chnace i want it back and thankfully it wont happen

It’s not as though peope don’t still attend the games drunk anyway. Guy I sat next to in the Copland rear (and one who sat behind me) showed up to every game absolutely plastered, I had that seat from when I was 11 till about 21 and I can only remember one occasion where one of them turned up sober (I remember because me and my dad discussed it afterwards, due to the fact it was such an event).
That actually made me laugh mate. Sad but funny that someone being sober is a talking point :D

I don't believe for a minute that selling drink at a Rangers v Hamilton(for example) game is going to turn everyoneinto a drunken hooligan and result in a riot. It could be reviewed on a game by game basis and for bigger games not sell it (like happens in Germany)

Knowing Rangers though they would make a complete arse of it and we'd end up with lukewarm pints of flat tennents for a fiver each.

It won't happen anytime soon though. As I said on the spurs stadium thread, Scottish football has been left behind and it's only going to get worse.

Build a chargeable multi story car park on the site of the Albion, on the ground floor, you have multiple rangers themed bars (sometbing for every one), club museum, outdoor fan zone, activities for the kids.

Solve all the parking, fanzone and drinking issues in one fell swoop, and you don't need to sell any in the stadium at all.

I was talking to a mate how works for blackpool fc and he was telling me they ran out of beer at the legends game and made an absolute fortune if only we could do the same at lbrox it would be a great money stream

No long back from Blackpool and it was £3 for a pint of cider at the stadium which I thought was a good price, WE definitely need it at Ibrox, loads of money into the club
If they ever do this it should be available throughout the stadium and not just for the West Enclosure!

I don't like it either but it doesn't change the fact football supporters can't be trusted to behave themselves
I doubt selling pints for a fiver will stop the Buckie Brigade from smuggling bottles in as they do now. Similarly, the middle aged men that turn up pished for every game will still be slugging pints pre-match, buying an extra couple of pints in the ground won't make much of a difference.

However the potential revenue to be made from thousands of responsible fans buying 1-2 pints should not be sneered at.

So instead of drinking in the surrounding bars for an hour before KO, and an hour after KO, you would be drinking in Ibrox, how is anyone going to get more pissed? unless it’s the quick half, if you’re lucky, you get at half time.

The vast majority of football supporters can have a few drinks, watch football (which is the actual point of going) and support their team (again the actual point of going) causing no problem and actually using a few drinks to enhance the experience. They enjoy themselves a bit more, open up a bit more, sing a bit more.

However the people who can't behave in a civilized manner, the minority, can behave so badly that there is no way drink can be allowed at this point. It really is a case of the minority spoiling it for everyone else in my opinion. They do it already when drinking in the stadium during the games isn't actually allowed, what would they be like if it was.

Before anyone says just don't sell it to them if they have had enough already (at 3 o'clock in the day) good luck with that idea.

3quid a pint is probably cheapest pint in glasgow.

5 or 6 quid a pint it would be if it were to happen.
Is it not £2.60 for a cup of tea!
Drink at Ibrox not for me £5 for a pint of luke warm pish in a plastic tumbler,but the idea of a beer tent is a good one

It'd be roughly a fiver a pint, and yeah would bring in revenue. Always the danger of folk who are already angry and pissed getting even more animated and misbehaving.

It's a pity, tbh.

I am a Yank and also a huge Columbus Crew fan. I know from being there that they have to make a bunch from selling beer at $11 a can. I think being dry really hurts Scottish Clubs.
My reply is not going to be popular but I have to say a few things about this.
Something I find interesting is the concept of “having a beer at the game”
So what’s wrong with it? Sounds pretty relaxed and civilised right?
When i go to the games I really want to watch the game, I know that sounds obvious but I take my place in the stadium and I’m just wanting to watch the game.
I notice that a great deal of people arrive later and interrupt fellow fans and/or leave early as well. Giving people yet another excuse to not watch is game due to offering drink is really not a good idea in my opinion.
Also Scottish punters don’t just have a beer. No way do they just have a beer. They’d probably have 3 pints in the first half and 3 in the second half, whilst wandering off to the toilet every 20 minutes.
Scottish punters have a weakness there and we can’t give in to it.
Imagine a game against “them” when all fans were actively drinking in the stadium- I can’t imagine the consequences of that these days.
Imagine trying to police that?
It’s ok to drink at the rugby and I’ve done that myself but in my experience no one is getting tanked and really aggressive on it.
Football fans are way more aggressive than rugby fans.
Keep alcohol away from football please.

My reply is not going to be popular but I have to say a few things about this.
Something I find interesting is the concept of “having a beer at the game”
So what’s wrong with it? Sounds pretty relaxed and civilised right?
When i go to the games I really want to watch the game, I know that sounds obvious but I take my place in the stadium and I’m just wanting to watch the game.
I notice that a great deal of people arrive later and interrupt fellow fans and/or leave early as well. Giving people yet another excuse to not watch is game due to offering drink is really not a good idea in my opinion.
Also Scottish punters don’t just have a beer. No way do they just have a beer. They’d probably have 3 pints in the first half and 3 in the second half, whilst wandering off to the toilet every 20 minutes.
Scottish punters have a weakness there and we can’t give in to it.
Imagine a game against “them” when all fans were actively drinking in the stadium- I can’t imagine the consequences of that these days.
Imagine trying to police that?
It’s ok to drink at the rugby and I’ve done that myself but in my experience no one is getting tanked and really aggressive on it.
Football fans are way more aggressive than rugby fans.
Keep alcohol away from football please.

In England no beer sold from 15 mins before KO until 5 mins before HT and then from KO until after final whistle. Probably less ins and outs noted that at Ibrox just for food queues and toilets.

I prefer to believe that people would adapt to it and behave.

Id love this to happen, it would generate millions of pounds per season for our club but theres more chance of the mccanns being found guilty for their daughters disappearance

The amount Rangers would make would end up offset by repair cost from drunk away fans damages and increased policing costs from dealing with the morons.

I love drinking at the rugby and ice hockey, and as much as I'd love a beer at Ibrox, I don't blame them for not serving beer at Scottish football games.
Complete nonsense.
Away clubs pay that.

Scotland will begin it's path to being a normal civilized country the day it is charging 7 quid for a proper beer at the football.

Anyone who need's it explained why, is part of the problem our backward fuckhole has.

In England no beer sold from 15 mins before KO until 5 mins before HT and then from KO until after final whistle. Probably less ins and outs noted that at Ibrox just for food queues and toilets.

I prefer to believe that people would adapt to it and behave.
It's funny, when I lived in Scotland I behaved like an animal.
Now, I'm treated like a human being abroad and behave like one.

Id love this to happen, it would generate millions of pounds per season for our club but theres more chance of the mccanns being found guilty for their daughters disappearance
You are living in a dream world if you actually even think that is remotely true

The amount Rangers would make would end up offset by repair cost from drunk away fans damages and increased policing costs from dealing with the morons.

I love drinking at the rugby and ice hockey, and as much as I'd love a beer at Ibrox, I don't blame them for not serving beer at Scottish football games.

Plenty in our own support can't be trusted equally as much with alcohol either mate unfortunately.

Inside the stadium the potential income is probably minimal.

Outside Ibrox I think the club could make an absolute killing selling seasonal food and drink, selling German stuff around oktoberfest and so on.

If the council really are selling the training complex opposite Ibrox then the club really have to buy it, would be such a good long term investment for stuff like that.

I am a Yank and also a huge Columbus Crew fan. I know from being there that they have to make a bunch from selling beer at $11 a can. I think being dry really hurts Scottish Clubs.
Without knowing your background, When you say you're a Yank, have you been to Ibrox yet? ie you're not an ex pat?

The Scottish attitude (for a lot of people) towards booze is get as pissed as you can as quickly as possible. In America seems more to enjoy a beer and watch the game. It's simply different cultures.

Every game you can go into the toilets and find empty bottles of Buckfast that have been sneaked in.

It's not uncommon to see guys absolutely wasted at 11am for a lunchtime kick off at an away game.

bar 72 should be the minimum standard around Ibrox. I dont get why you need to pay £1k+ for the right to be able to buy a beer.

I don't believe for a minute that selling drink at a Rangers v Hamilton(for example) game is going to turn everyoneinto a drunken hooligan and result in a riot. It could be reviewed on a game by game basis and for bigger games not sell it (like happens in Germany)

Knowing Rangers though they would make a complete arse of it and we'd end up with lukewarm pints of flat tennents for a fiver each.

It won't happen anytime soon though. As I said on the spurs stadium thread, Scottish football has been left behind and it's only going to get worse.

Everyone, every single person whether it be your average fan in the street to the top brass in the SFA can see that Scottish football is struggling and losing all hope of ever progressing. So what do we do? Drag it in to the 21st century? No chance. Ban alcohol, make a massive drama out of safe standing, treat fans like animals and punish clubs left right and centre for things outwith their control. The only people holding Scottish football back are the ones too scared to make a decision and allow clubs the opportunity of different revenue streams.

Everyone, every single person whether it be your average fan in the street to the top brass in the SFA can see that Scottish football is struggling and losing all hope of ever progressing. So what do we do? Drag it in to the 21st century? No chance. Ban alcohol, make a massive drama out of safe standing, treat fans like animals and punish clubs left right and centre for things outwith their control. The only people holding Scottish football back are the ones too scared to make a decision and allow clubs the opportunity of different revenue streams.

We're getting players assaulted on the pitch, players, managers and officials hit with coins, fans chucking chairs about. Football supporters can moan all we want about being treated like animals but the sad fact is that some of them behave like animals.

Nobody is going to support adding alcohol to that. Too many bams and neds at football matches.

We're getting players assaulted on the pitch, players, managers and officials hit with coins, fans chucking chairs about. Football supporters can moan all we want about being treated like animals but the sad fact is that some of them behave like animals.

Nobody is going to support adding alcohol to that. Too many bams and neds at football matches.

Well let the police do their job and arrest the people causing trouble. This is Scotland, not Turkey, Greece or Serbia. It's not widespread violence and rioting. The police should deal with criminals and trouble makers and not punish the majority.

I think the question that needs to be asked is "how much could selling beer be worth to Rangers". As it stands we're not allowed to so we're not losing anything. However, it's something that probably should be available at a football ground. Very few sports have this issue where you can't sell beer at a game. The idea that it'll just introduce trouble is nonsense. The people likely to cause trouble are going to be coming smashed out their brain and do it anyway. There isn't enough time in the ground for the booze being sold to cause any trouble at all - however, it could generate a decent bit of income on game day.

For the Police to knock it back is just lazy. Then again, Police Scotland are very lazy and do look for the easy way to do everything.

I can't see it happening. With morons like the SNP in charge of things they'll fight it at every turn. Even if the tims wanted it as well it's still not going to happen.

I think the question that needs to be asked is "how much could selling beer be worth to Rangers". As it stands we're not allowed to so we're not losing anything. However, it's something that probably should be available at a football ground. Very few sports have this issue where you can't sell beer at a game. The idea that it'll just introduce trouble is nonsense. The people likely to cause trouble are going to be coming smashed out their brain and do it anyway. There isn't enough time in the ground for the booze being sold to cause any trouble at all - however, it could generate a decent bit of income on game day.

For the Police to knock it back is just lazy. Then again, Police Scotland are very lazy and do look for the easy way to do everything.

I can't see it happening. With morons like the SNP in charge of things they'll fight it at every turn. Even if the tims wanted it as well it's still not going to happen.

This is the point I was trying to make. Police Scotland are simply lazy. They do everything they can to ban things to make their job easier. Clubs and the SFA should dictate when football matches are played and what can be sold in the ground. It should then be the police job to police the event. At the moment it's as if the police control every aspect of the sport rather than just police it.

Or outsource it for a pittance

They should allow it in 5 star stadiums such as Ibrox and maby not sell beer on old firm days, thats it.

Only folk with a smart card can order and its 3 beers max per game.

The amount of folk late in or leave early for a beer is unreal and i include myself in that.

It can be done responsibly, scottish football is stuck in dark ages though.
You can't pay for food by card at Ibrox, let alone keep tabs on how many beers bought. The people causing trouble through alcohol are already tanked up prior to arriving at the ground.

You can't pay for food by card at Ibrox, let alone keep tabs on how many beers bought. The people causing trouble through alcohol are already tanked up prior to arriving at the ground.

Was just an idea

I know myself ill swally a quick few vods before darting to ground where as if i knew i could grab a pint at halftime id maby not knock em back therfor not being as drunk.

The scottish game needs to look at england and replicate it, we are being left behind.

Selling £5 pints during a game is not the same as taking a carry out (which is why it was banned in the first place).
If people want to enjoy a drink while watching the game, why shouldn't they be allowed? If anyone causes trouble because they are too drunk (which they would be without Rangers selling the drink), give them a lengthy ban.

Personally I can give all food and drink a rest for 90 minutes of fitba but I get that some would like a prawn sandwich and a pint. However there are far too many amongst us that we can’t trust with even more booze on matchdays.
The question should be how many headaches does not selling booze save Rangers and Scottish football ?

Was just an idea

I know myself ill swally a quick few vods before darting to ground where as if i knew i could grab a pint at halftime id maby not knock em back therfor not being as drunk.

The scottish game needs to look at england and replicate it, we are being left behind.
It's not a bad idea mate, just how it could be implicated is the problem.

If you want to sell alcohol at a football ground in Scotland, you need a law change. At the moment it is illegal to do so, except in certain circumstances. You can't consume alcohol in an area where you can view the game directly. That is where the likes of Bar 72 comes in.
There are stadiums where punters can get a pint before, and directly after a game, like Airdrie. They have a bar incorporated into the stadium. You have to access the bar from a door outside the stadium, and then go back out to come into the stadium, via the turnstiles to watch the game.
Go abroad and you can get into the stadium a couple of hours before the game, get a bite to eat, and a couple of pints before the game. Stay in the stadium for an hour or so after the game, enjoy a couple of drinks after, and let the crowds clear, before heading out like Bayern Munich.

Scotland's suicidal relationship with alcohol will ensure that it is never possible to buy a pint in a football stadium. Too many people can't just have one social pint and need to get pished whenever there's a bar. (I'm as guilty as anyone of it so I'm not judging anybody.)

Back