Skrtel

Cheeky bast.ard hahaha

Aye that full Fenerbahce team have been woeful. With the wages hes on too id avoid him as hes well past his best

Only thing I’d say on that is IF he does sign, the wages aren’t a concern.

It’ll be wages that have been deemed affordable by Rangers, and that’s all that matters. His (mental) wage at Fener is almost irrelevant.

Only thing I’d say on that is IF he does sign, the wages aren’t a concern.

It’ll be wages that have been deemed affordable by Rangers, and that’s all that matters. His (mental) wage at Fener is almost irrelevant.
That doesn’t say much though does it? It clearly won’t be 50k a week but we dished out 30k a week to Pena & have several players on wages higher than they should be.

“Affordable” yes, but not a good use of clearly very limited money.

It appears that we have been using stats to locate players...this signing is anathema to that approach. A player with bad stats, a bad age and costly.

That doesn’t say much though does it? It clearly won’t be 50k a week but we dished out 30k a week to Pena & have several players on wages higher than they should be.

“Affordable” yes, but not a good use of clearly very limited money.

The main thing is we’re not humping ourselves.

Can’t keep banging on about Pena forever, we learn from it and move on.

The collective fanny fart over how much players earned at previous clubs is weird. It’s got no relevance to Rangers, otherwise we wouldn’t have been near Davis or Defoe. Players realise we don’t have £60,000 a week to offer and will adjust their demands accordingly.

Ask yourselves the question - Skrtel in the team do we lose the last minute goal to Motherwell from the cross and the 5 min from time equaliser against Hibs on Boxing Day

Could have made all the difference last year

How about if he were playing rather than Worrall when he used pace and timing to make that great sliding tackle in the old firm game?

Or instead of Goldson or Katic in one of the European games where they were 2 on 1 and used positioning to slow the game down till the other used their pace to get into cover?

Or instead of anyone in any of the corners where they did head it clear without committing any fouls that would be given as penalties.

Skrtel is a player with several compromises. If he were a McAuley type then i’d live with it. Cheap, happy to be 4th choice. Fine. But at the wages you’d think he’d want and the game time you’d think he’d get, we should want someone without these issues.

The other thing is looking at Edmundson too. I don’t know much about him and there was a fair bit to like about his YouTube video though I have a concern about his change of pace. But I think it is fair to say that he is not as well regarded as Worrall was. That’s not saying he won’t be as good or better but you are looking at £10mill valuation vs £650k.

If we go from Worrall and McAuley to Edmundson and Skrtel then I think it might be hard to see this as actually improving the squad.

If Alves had the right attitude he could have been the best defender in le

For the most part. The scottish league was an utter doddle for Alves. His attitude sucked.

Alves was poor for us. Not bad at positioning and could be fine in the tackle but rarely actually cleared the ball. Generally just punted it outwith the box straight to an opponent. No idea why that happened but it did and meant that he rarely cleared pressure. He was a massive disappointment.

The main thing is we’re not humping ourselves.

Can’t keep banging on about Pena forever, we learn from it and move on.

The collective fanny fart over how much players earned at previous clubs is weird. It’s got no relevance to Rangers, otherwise we wouldn’t have been near Davis or Defoe. Players realise we don’t have £60,000 a week to offer and will adjust their demands accordingly.
I don’t need to keep banging on about Pena, you can bang on about Lafferty, Herrera, and the fact we have around 35 players in our first team, with a large amount not good enough & paying the price for them in wages.

Subsequently now having an effect on our transfer business I assume considering we’re only targeting loans & frees (plus Edmundson).

Our wage management has been appalling.

If he’s coming in as experienced back up on the appropriate wage then fine but I have a feeling he will be here to start and will stymie Katic’s development.

You’re the one making the point. You show me where hearts have said through an official channel that they won’t allow souttar to go to Rangers and that they will not sell for less than £5 million .:rolleyes:

You won’t because you can’t .

I'll save you the hassle.

We won't be signing him as he it dug meat.

Moving on.

Priotiy for me is getting folk out the door asap. I feel that by not taking Grezda, Lafferty etc to Portugal, it weakens our positioning in getting deals for them

I don’t need to keep banging on about Pena, you can bang on about Lafferty, Herrera, and the fact we have around 35 players in our first team, with a large amount not good enough & paying the price for them in wages.

Subsequently now having an effect on our transfer business I assume considering we’re only targeting loans & frees (plus Edmundson).

We've also yet to improve the first 11.

We've lost two starters from last season: Worral and Kent. The squad is stronger, it's also bloated but the regular first team that failed in every domestic competition isn't better to date.

Quality over quantity. So far its numbers.

We've lost two starters from last season: Worral and Kent. The squad is stronger, it's also bloated but the regular first team that failed in every domestic competition isn't better to date.

Yeah. Been thinking about that this morning. Folk on here have been saying “quality will come”, “its early days” etc but Gerrard said yesterday he’d be happy to go with what we’ve got.

In the starting 11, Aribo is most likely an improvement on Jack. Case can be argued for being weaker at LW & CB (depending on who the we sign for there).

All a bit odd considering Gerrard wanted quality to take the team up a level, and his first target was a very decent Ligue 1 centre half. Thats not happened for some reaason.

The worry is he’s not coming here to play second fiddle on the money he will be on .

He’s not replacing Macauley he’d be replacing Katic . Which isn’t fair .

We really need to drop the sentimental stuff - football sometimes isn't fair but if he turns out to be a better option I bet you won't be complaining.

The amount of people saying “Gerrard knows him, that’s good enough for me..”

They would be taking the piss if it was Warburton.

Skrtel, Firth, Flanagan, Defoe, Ojo, Kent, Polster, Edmundson...Weird how nobody brings it up when it’s Gerrard.

Arfield, McGregor, Murphy, Katic, Goldson, Barisic, Lafferty, Grezda, Kamara, Davis, Hastie, Jones.

Are they Gerrard's pals too (which seems to be what you're getting at)?

Not a fan of this one. I feel he'd expect a starting slot, and for me we have our starting pair now. The Goldson/Katic partnership for me is strong enough to win us the league and I think any significant wages should be spent elsewhere with the 4th choice centre back being either one of the youth team, or another modestly paid pro.
All our players should be wanting a start. Let him earn it.

The boss said he only wanted to bring improvements to what we had in squad last season.

Skrtel is a massive improvement on macaulay.

I watched the recent Slovakia v Scotland game and Skrtel strolled it.
He was the best player on the park that Day. Is he still playing for his country?

Probably false and hope it is, the memories of Weir give so many folk hope that 34+ can do a job for us Senderos, Alves, McAuley. Too much risk for a guy who was never that good to begin with.

Does anyone else think that this whole thing feels weird. Very different from Gerrard’s usual ‘style’ of signing - poor stats, not had a great season by all accounts and expensive.

I kinda wonder if this could be a false flag. Believable enough but still unlikely. Leaked to either identify a leak or to distract?

Edit: CRO coming out adds weight to this. Job done. Kill the story.

Not every transfer works out, shocker.

You could balance it up by saying in Tav, Morelos, Kamara, Jack, Davis, Arfield, Aribo etc that there’s about £30m worth of talent in the open market for next to %^*& all.

I’m always keen to consider both sides of the equation.

All our players should be wanting a start. Let him earn it.
I guess that's my point. If the's on 60k a week where he is and we need to pay him big wages, I feel that money should be spent on a automatic starter (unless they are playing poorly)

We play in Scotland mate not La Liga ffs :D
Correct mate, Clint Hill was immense but got done for pace by Kris Boyd!! There will be a time and place for a Skrtel/experienced CH
Up against Cosgrove - no issue
Big lump at Hearts - no such issues
Playing in middle of a 3, tick!
Shore up an Away European game, tick!

Not every transfer works out, shocker.

You could balance it up by saying in Tav, Morelos, Kamara, Jack, Davis, Arfield, Aribo etc that there’s about £30m worth of talent in the open market for next to %^*& all.

I’m always keen to consider both sides of the equation.
Of course not, nobody is going to get them all right but our success rate over the past 3 years has been verging on as bad as it can get when the money we have lost/wasted is factored in. It can’t get much worse.

Like I said, the wage/squad management has been a joke. Allen & the board have overseen a lot of this.

Is this why we’re not spending money this summer? Maybe.

Its just as vital that the squad gets improved as the options when anyone was missing were the problem, not necessarily the starters.

Its just as vital that the squad gets improved as the options when anyone was missing were the problem, not necessarily the starters.
Sign players that improve the first 11 & that in turn improves the squad by pushing starters to the bench.

We’ve went for quantity over quality, when we needed the opposite.

So another "exclusive" by Jackson quickly ridiculed. Seriously, how does this cretin scrape a living?

Sign players that improve the first 11 & that in turn improves the squad by pushing starters to the bench.

We’ve went for quantity over quality, when we needed the opposite.

We've improved the squad, as the starting line up doesn't need dismantled, I'd be very surprised if there aren't more sihnons to come, wouldn't you be?

We've improved the squad, as the starting line up doesn't need dismantled, I'd be very surprised if there aren't more sihnons to come, wouldn't you be?
Now we need more quality and leadership and players who improve the 11 which will naturally improve the 18.” Thats not happened.

I can only see another CB & possibly Kent. As the manager has said.

Back